AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-18, 02:04   Link #301
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nines View Post
Lies you explaned that perfectly and 100% with yah on it
I tend to be too wordy. Speaking too much when it's better not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
Dude. I'm a Sheryl fan.
My bad. Sorry.
Old 2008-06-18, 06:34   Link #302
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
I'm a woman and my opinion for Alto pairings = Sheryl > Ranka.
Actually most posters I know that are women seem to prefer Sheryl to Ranka, only Ani_d and wao are girls I know who like Ranka better. Here there's you and Lone Wolf and about 7-8 more I know over on MW, ANN & MAL.

Quote:
Some of you interpret Alto as changing/being different whenever he's with Ranka, I see him holding a big part of himself back whenever he's with her. If Ranka stuffs up something along the way, the tsundere side of Alto will always flare up but he'll quickly back down and apologize. Someone as sensitive as Ranka deserves someone who can take care of her, and Alto has about as much sensitivity as a block of wood.

It's different for Sheryl if Alto and Sheryl were together (if she wins his heart). If Sheryl stuffs up something along the way, Alto won't back down from his insults and bitch at her. Fortunately for Sheryl, there's 99.9999% chance she'll bitch right back at him and slap him around like how you would a spoiled Hime and together, they'd bitch at each other to hell and back, which is good you see, because it just means great, steamy make-up sex. There, another reason why I like Alto x Sheryl = coz it's damn hot.
Seriously a ten years later OVA on Sheryl and Alto would still be incredibly entertaining while a Ranka and Alto one would more than likely = zzzzzzzzzzz

And yes great, steamy make up sex ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Rick
Him carrying her down the mountain after they were attacked.
Yes I loved the romantic undertones in that scene when she thought it was Alto who saved her and not Brera, it was soooooooo romantic just like when she praised him for saving him the first time and Alto things of Gilliam

Quote:
Edit: I just checked the manga events, and, it seems the weight of his promise to her outweighs everything else in his mind. Wow, I'm surprised I didn't catch that the first time.
I really preferred the way the manga did these events, though the entire Diamond Crevasse part and the 2 mins before where Sheryl ascended the stage and Alto hooked the earring to the cockpit was just awesome. (So want that bgm, they used it for Ranka at the end of 10 as well)

Quote:
The two are compatible. I'll be honest here, this is what made me abandon the Alto/Ranka ship and jump aboard the Alto/Sheryl one, because even though Alto/Ranka has the potential to be the more nicely done moe!type pairings in a while, I hadn't anticipated a more interesting choice in the other side : I'll take an adult, complex pairing over moe anyday.
Yeah I agree here, Alto and Ranka would be much better than what we usually get served with. its just that Sheryl is such an entertaining character and her and Alto's "tsundere" relationship is so fun to watch grow it just outshines them. The back and forth banter between those two would never stop and yet they would be serious and their for each other when it matters. It sorta reminds me of the way Horo and Lawrence go about things in S&W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d
Are you sure there are no Ranka undertones here? The manga sounds like Alto and Sheryl already have a thing and then Ranka meets Alto afterwards and becomes this annoying third wheel. I'm going to read the whole thing. I can't trust you lol j/k
Read it yourself and let me know what you think, but it feels like the guy doing the manga is a Sheryl fan lol... For the chapter "covers" Sheryl's the main focus or part of the main focus for 5 chapters out of the first 6 and is the main focus for the volume cover. Nearly every good Sheryl scene has been kept or has an equivalent while Ranka loses so many scenes... and like Crisis said she has a school girl crush on Alto. She does get a much better Miss Macross episode part in regards to Alto but that's about it in the manga.
Old 2008-06-18, 07:09   Link #303
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
@ Tak

May I ask what KOS-MOS stands for?

You no... heard of Kos-Mos!? The most powerful woman in fiction from... Xenosaga!?

Oh man, you hurt my feelings, my feelings.

- Tak (No, you really don't want to know how obsessed I am with the character)
Old 2008-06-18, 09:21   Link #304
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

So who here thinks that Sheryl is just smothering Alto? I'm of the mind that if they weren't together so much he'd be more attracted to her.

Alto's definitely a guy that likes his own space a lot of the time.
Old 2008-06-18, 16:01   Link #305
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Seriously a ten years later OVA on Sheryl and Alto would still be incredibly entertaining while a Ranka and Alto one would more than likely = zzzzzzzzzzz
Sheryl fat and washed up with Alto working at the Nyan-Nyan to make ends meet? Yes please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

You no... heard of Kos-Mos!? The most powerful woman in fiction from... Xenosaga!?

Oh man, you hurt my feelings, my feelings.

- Tak (No, you really don't want to know how obsessed I am with the character)
She's not that powerful, and at least a third of her appeal comes from Shion's excellent taste in outfits.
Old 2008-06-18, 18:17   Link #306
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Sheryl fat and washed up with Alto working at the Nyan-Nyan to make ends meet? Yes please!

She's not that powerful, and at least a third of her appeal comes from Shion's excellent taste in outfits.
Congratulations. You're the first person in the over 4 years I've been a member of this forum, to get put on my ignore list. You should feel proud.

Maybe someday you'll grow up and join the rest of the human race. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Old 2008-06-18, 18:24   Link #307
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Valid. We can't really remove Ranka from those scenes, though, and the only insight we really get is of her feelings. Where that takes us in the grand scheme of things... we'll find out.
It's quite simple to get an impression of what the other characters are feeling, even though it can be difficult to put those feelings to words. Everything is still there, though.

Quote:
As adorable as that behavior is... it's a defense mechanism through and through. She goes the other way too, saying how she really feels and then covering it up...
You're absolutely right. I hadn't looked at it that way.

But while sublimation may be a defense mechanism, it's also one of the healthy ones. Sheryl doesn't mask her initial emotion; instead, she exposes it and transforms it to produce a positive result. So she ends up producing a curious mix of sweet and sour, without needing to go the tsundere route to achieve that result.

Someone wrote elsewhere that it's like getting Belldandy and Urd in the same character. I think I can see what they were getting at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
So who here thinks that Sheryl is just smothering Alto? I'm of the mind that if they weren't together so much he'd be more attracted to her.
I don't. For one, Sheryl doesn't push Alto to reveal anything about himself that he isn't willing to discuss. In addition, she is shown to be really understanding when she learns that Alto has to kiss another girl for the sake of the film, and even goes to talk it over with him to make him feel more comfortable. When Alto has to go fight, Sheryl acknowledges it without dispute and lends him her earring for luck. Sheryl is supportive and gives Alto the freedom to do whatever he wants to do. What more could he ask of from her?

I think that one reason that Sheryl is able to recognize Alto's needs is because she needs her freedom too. Of course, it will become more difficult for Sheryl to stay so open minded if she starts to feel insecure about her relationship with Alto, but we'll have to see how this develops.

Quote:
Alto would make a fortune in tips by wearing the Nyan-Nyan outfit. Then he'd go with Sheryl to retire on a beautiful remote planet with a proper sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
That Alto lied to Ranka because he didn't want her to know he was with Sheryl at the Folmo? When in actuality, he really didn't have to do that because it's supposed to be no big deal.
Wait. Are you saying that Alto's date with Sheryl was a bigger deal to Alto than it should have been?

Quote:
The value of something is different to each individual. To Sheryl, an autograph may be nothing, but to another Sheryl fan, even a sloppy autograph may mean a million. She should know that and should give to her fans as much as possible. (I feel like a broken record) Giving autograph isn't really THAT hard. It's no use trying to defend Sheryl here. She is clearly picking favorites here among her fans by saying she won't do it again when asked the second time.
I think the entry demonstrated that signing autographs carried a lot of meaning for Sheryl as well. The example also showed that she does give them out when it is very important to the person in question. But she doesn't hand them out thoughtlessly.

This is consistant with the post about Ranka's birthday as well. It would have been easy enough for Sheryl to give Ranka a gift for the sake of giving her a gift. Instead, Sheryl takes the time to choose a present which, while simple, makes a statement about how she personally views Ranka. She wouldn't do this if she took her relationship with Ranka for granted.

From a practical standpoint, you're on the right track. It does make sense to just hand out autographs without giving it a second thought, because you don't want to risk offending your fans. But if they love her unconditionally, as you later claim, then they'd understand why Sheryl took this stance in the first place. So Sheryl can't be offending her fans, based on your own reasoning.

Quote:
Pours her emotion? To that one autograph lol And each one? She only gave one special filled with 'love' autograph to the boy. That's it. There are no "each one".
If Sheryl carries around a specific pen that she exclusively uses for autographs, then it implies that there are more than one.

Quote:
I can just imagine the ten year old boy gloating to a more hardcore 10 yr old Sheryl fangirl and getting her jealous, the disappointment, crying, leads to bickering etc etc.
Eh? Now the little boy's a villain?

Considering that he went to get the autograph just for the sake of his little sister, I doubt that he would do such a thing.

Quote:
You underestimate music. ^__^
I don't underestimate music, nor do I underestimate the time and effort that goes into forging a close bond with someone.

Quote:
To write a good song is to put a piece of yourself out there to let it reach people. It's a two-way thing. It's how Sheryl as a composer and a singer expresses herself. She doesn't just sing because she's required to entertain. True artists don't think like that. Real fans don't just become fans because of the song, they also get an idea of what kind of person the singer is and can love her from there. I mean, I hear songs from Alicia Keys, and I get a sense of what she's all about. I'm sure there are better examples out there. It's amazing how people connect through music. It's almost unnatural.
Just like the telling of a story is influenced by the interpretation of the reader, the meaning of a song is influenced by the interpretation of the listener. Do the words "Diamond Crevasse" necessarily conjure up an image of the night sky?

Music is not so much about communicating facts about a person as it engages us to examine our own thoughts and feelings. The words "long, long goodbye", for example, may remind you of your own feelings of having to part company with someone, but that response changes the universal nature of 'having to say goodbye' into a specific, personal one. By doing so, however, you don't get to see much about the specific nature of the singer's (or songwriter's) experience. Music is all about you, regardless of whether you're the singer, or the person listening.

You may feel like you know someone by listening to their music, but that doesn't mean that you actually do know them. It's just the same as a crush: you like what you think that you know, instead of what you really do know.

Quote:
"Close friends who love Sheryl are more valuable than a random person who loves Sheryl just as much." Is that what you mean? =/ No matter how you look at it, affection IS affection. If it's genuine then it would be wrong to discriminate.
The phrase "loves Sheryl just as much" is a big assumption. How can you love someone without spending time with them and getting to know them in person?

Quote:
Having a friend is nice and all, but love from your true fans, all those real feelings, does Not fall short to it. This is something Sheryl should realize if ever she starts going 'woe is me I don't have friends'. Doubt she'll end up like this.
Do you really think that popularity can replace love, friendship, and a family?

Quote:
Must be a really nice alibi to leave her own fans' destiny to someone. She doesn't want leaving her destiny to someone else's hands yet she has no qualms when it comes to her fans leaving their own destiny to the military's hands lol
Sheryl doesn't control anyone else's destiny. She inspires people to take control of their own.

Quote:
I'm not slandering Sheryl lol I support my points, didn't I? It's not like I'm basing all of this on thin air. This is just what I nitpicked since almost everyone here seems to portray Sheryl as a sad idol who needs noone but Alto and with an almost perfect mentality and body to boot.
I have no problems with that, seeing as you admit to nitpicking...

Given that this is the relationship thread, my worry was that your line of argument could easily open the door to character attacks from both sides.

The more you argue something, the more you come to believe it yourself. You probably don't want to build up feelings of resentment towards Sheryl any more than I do towards Ranka (in fact, I daresay that I wouldn't be much of a Sheryl fan without sharing Sheryl's respect for Ranka's accomplishments). But if we allow ourselves to get caught up in arguments about the relative "morality" of the characters, it's going to become much harder to retain that point of view.

Sheryl isn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination. But you might say that we love her for her imperfect mentality.

Last edited by Swampstorm; 2008-06-18 at 18:39.
Old 2008-06-18, 18:59   Link #308
Tak

Quote:
*GASP*

You dare challenge her Majesty the Empress!? Cease your foolish venture, for the Empress is not as forgiving as I am...

In all seriousness, considering she is more powerful than anything that can be fielded in Macross, that is enough for me to like

- Tak
Old 2008-06-18, 19:38   Link #309
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Alto would make a fortune in tips by wearing the Nyan-Nyan outfit. Then he'd go with Sheryl to retire on a beautiful remote planet with a proper sky.
If he wanted to wear something like that, Bobby could probably point out a club or two that would pay hand over fist for someone like Alto to work there.

Quote:
*GASP*

You dare challenge her Majesty the Empress!? Cease your foolish venture, for the Empress is not as forgiving as I am...

In all seriousness, considering she is more powerful than anything that can be fielded in Macross, that is enough for me to like

- Tak
Now I'm curious. Why "Majesty" and "Empress"? "Goddess", maybe, but there's nothing about KOS-MOS that says posh maternal authority figure, even during her Mary moments. At least in any of the cutscenes I've seen.
Old 2008-06-18, 19:48   Link #310
Tak

Quote:

Now I'm curious. Why "Majesty" and "Empress"? "Goddess", maybe, but there's nothing about KOS-MOS that says posh maternal authority figure, even during her Mary moments. At least in any of the cutscenes I've seen.
Two Words: Don't Ask

- Tak
Old 2008-06-18, 19:48   Link #311
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
If he wanted to wear something like that, Bobby could probably point out a club or two that would pay hand over fist for someone like Alto to work there.
That's wouldn't work at all, since he'd simply be mistaken for a girl.

Besides, it's not like Nyan-Nyan has a uniform for guys.

Last edited by Swampstorm; 2008-06-18 at 19:59.
Old 2008-06-18, 21:24   Link #312
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Far be it for me to derail this thread... but...

I just watched episode 9 again that Shinsen put out and can't help but wonder what's going to happen with Michael and Klan...
Old 2008-06-18, 21:29   Link #313
Tak

C'mon, we all know Mikhail is the new Max

I can imagine this conversation:

Mikhail: Alto, I am getting married.

Alto: *spits drink, drops cup* WTF @!$%*!@%(*I@!($!!!!

Mikhail: I am serious, I am getting married!

Alto: Look, Mikhail, love is like glass, this infatuation won't get you far, it will break just as easily as a mirror!

Mikhail: Are you speaking from personal experience?!

Alto: Yeah, no shit! *points to the dozen or so kid(s) he had with Sheryl AND Ranka* LOOK AT THEM! JUST LOOK! AND *points to himself* LOOK AT ME!

Camera focuses on an Alto that is wasted, now sporting a belly and a blading head

Mikhail: Oh... uh, let me... think about this.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-18, 21:36   Link #314
Wesley84

Quote:
Far be it for me to derail this thread... but...

I just watched episode 9 again that Shinsen put out and can't help but wonder what's going to happen with Michael and Klan...
I say...stranded on a deserted planet together. That way he won't have to worry about jail, although it's a bit of a wonder if they can even have kids together (that'd doubly hurt Klan if she were infertile).
Old 2008-06-18, 21:59   Link #315
herbert

Quote:
C'mon, we all know Mikhail is the new Max

I can imagine this conversation:

Mikhail: Alto, I am getting married.

Mikhail: I am serious, I am getting married!

Alto: Look, Mikhail, love is like glass, this infatuation won't get you far, it will break just as easily as a mirror!

Alto: Yeah, no shit! *points to the dozen or so kid(s) he had with Sheryl AND Ranka* LOOK AT THEM! JUST LOOK! AND *points to himself* LOOK AT ME!

Camera focuses on an Alto that is wasted, now sporting a belly and a blading head

Mikhail: Oh... uh, let me... think about this.

- Tak
Either Sheryl or Ranka, pick only one, having two at the same is not allowed.

And even you manage to pick one, your scenario still doesn't work. For Ranka, it's illegal and dangerous to do some activities which lead to babies production. For Sheryl, he is fully responsible to enjoy all tortures and punishments she comes up with like Luca has imagined, but I'm not going to tell what those tortures and punishements are because it's scarier to keep in this way.

Moreover, there is a biggest mistake in your post. Mikhail is not new Max, Sheryl is. Mikhai will die one day and hand the BLUE VF to Sheryl.

Here is the real conversation:

Sheryl: Alto, I am getting married.

Alto: *showing a too happy face* really? With me?

Sheryl: No, with Klan-chan.

Sheryl: I am serious, I am getting married!

Alto: Look, Sheryl, love is like glass, this infatuation won't get you far, it will break just as easily as a mirror!

Sheryl: Are you speaking from personal experience?!

Alto: Yeah, no shit! *points to Sheryl* LOOK AT YOU! JUST LOOK! AND *points to himself* LOOK AT ME! HOW EASILY YOU JUST ABANDONED ME.

Camera switches to the Alto of some time latter that he is walking down a dark and deserted street, alone. He pauses, suddenly girls come to his mind, thinking Sheryl having dinner with Klan Klan and Ranka preparing supper for her brotherS. He resumes walking, still alone, and street lights are now on.

Last edited by herbert; 2008-06-19 at 00:14.
Old 2008-06-18, 23:53   Link #316
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Either Sheryl or Ranka, pick only one, having two at the same is not allowed.

And even you manage to pick one, your scenario still doesn't work. For Ranka, it's illegal and dangerous to do some activities which lead to babies production. For Sheryl, he is fully responsible to enjoy all tortures and punishments she comes up with like Luca has imagined, but I'm not going to tell what those tortures and punishements are because it's scarier to keep in this way.

Moreover, there is a biggest mistake in your post. Mikhail is not new Max, Sheryl is. Mikhai will die one day and hand the BLUE VF to Sheryl.

Here is the real conversation:

Sheryl: Alto, I am getting married.

Alto: *showing a too happy face* really? With me?

Sheryl: No, with Klan-chan.

Sheryl: I am serious, I am getting married!

Alto: Look, Sheryl, love is like glass, this infatuation won't get you far, it will break just as easily as a mirror!

Alto: Yeah, no shit! *points to Sheryl* LOOK AT YOU! JUST LOOK! AND *points to himself* LOOK AT ME! HOW EASILY YOU JUST ABANDONED ME.

Camera switches to the Alto of some time latter that he is walking down a dark and deserted street, alone. He pauses, suddenly girls come to his mind, thinking Sheryl having dinner with Klan Klan and Ranka preparing supper for her brotherS. He resumes walking, still alone, and street lights are now on.

I honestly don't have words for that scenario...
Old 2008-06-18, 23:56   Link #317
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I know we're in desperate need of a new episode. Posts are getting retarded...
Old 2008-06-19, 00:50   Link #318
.Mero

The day Mikhail dies is the day, the Vajra wil become extinct, Hell hath no fury, like a Meltrandi ace pilot scorned.

Really that would be like opening Pandora's box the amount of pain inflicted by Klein Klan would be impossible to measure.
Old 2008-06-19, 03:38   Link #319
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Yes 11 should add something to this discussion, will be interesting to see how the two girls react to a certain thing if Alto lets them in on it.
Old 2008-06-19, 07:26   Link #320
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I think we are getting down to the level of pairing off Ranka's Phone and the Panty stealing lizard thing.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance