AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-24, 15:54   Link #461
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Seriously...that's denial in it's finest form. Can't wait to see the responses.

/me grabs bag of popcorn and watches the flames
I don't know if we should even bother waiting for the flames to occur. I don't suppose you need one, seeing what they just posted, so boldly.

When I see statements so far-out-and-beyond like these, I am left speechless, and I know, quite obviously that anything I say or do would not change their damn minds.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 15:58   Link #462
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Bolded for truth. Outside this forum, I'm not the only person who can see this as well and if I'm not the only one, then maybe I'm not just spouting nonsense here.
You know, just because 2 people say that the sky is neon pink doesn't make it any less blue...
Old 2008-06-24, 16:08   Link #463
ickem
シェリルの為に!

2008-06-24

Title: Gallia 4

This time I'll be having a concert at a frontier world called Gallia 4.
Going to a place that I have never experienced is really exciting.
Especially since Gallia 4 has an atmosphere!!

I'll be singing in such a place.

How will my voice resonate under a sky, I wonder.

What will my ears hear, I wonder.

I am really looking forward to it!

Really, being so excited is causing my body to heat up.

I feel that I can't help but put my body into motion.
This is no good.
I'm going to the sports gym for a bit.

Sheryl
July 22, 2059
Old 2008-06-24, 16:37   Link #464
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian
Seriously...that's denial in it's finest form. Can't wait to see the responses.
Unless you can tell me a SherylxAlto-centric episode that is totally theirs alone without a major Ranka undertone showcasing her jealousy/sadness over the two, how am I in denial here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem
You know, just because 2 people say that the sky is neon pink doesn't make it any less blue...
First off, noone's been thanking you for all these amazing translations. Thanks!

Back on topic, actually, everyone here thinks that the story focuses more on Ranka. I'm not saying it's you or someone here, but the ones in denial are those who ignore the fact that it's Ranka that's got the story's focus be it the plot or her feelings for Alto.
Old 2008-06-24, 16:52   Link #465
Tak

Quote:
Unless you can tell me a SherylxAlto-centric episode that is totally theirs alone without a major Ranka undertone showcasing her jealousy/sadness over the two, how am I in denial here?
That is not exclusive to Ranka. So what is the deal here?

Quote:
Back on topic, actually, everyone here thinks that the story focuses more on Ranka. I'm not saying it's you or someone here, but the ones in denial are those who ignore the fact that it's Ranka that's got the story's focus be it the plot or her feelings for Alto.
Which story? Are you talking about episodes or the entire story. If it is the latter, then I am afraid not everyone will agree with you. The 3 characters are given comparable presentation with not one edging out the other. The focus however, is different for each one. Frontier is not Ranka's Story just as it is not Sheryl's or Alto's story.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 16:59   Link #466
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
That is not exclusive to Ranka. So what is the deal here?
All I'm saying is to point to me an episode that's very much like episode 10 here where even the SherylxAlto kiss was used as plot device for Ranka to settle her own feelings for Alto. I don't think I'm in denial when I say I haven't seen an episode like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Which story? Are you talking about episodes or the entire story. If it is the latter, then I am afraid not everyone will agree with you. The 3 characters are given comparable presentation with not one edging out the other. The focus however, is different for each one. Frontier is not Ranka's Story just as it is not Sheryl's or Alto's story.

- Tak
Ok...Let me make myself clear once again. When I said Ranka has the more focus here, it's between her AND Sheryl. I'm talking about the LT. It's a given that MF is going to be focused on Alto. Please, if I'm being discredited here cuz of the fact that I keep saying Ranka Ranka Ranka, then no, I don't think the main MAIN character of the show is Ranka, it's Alto.

You may say this is Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka's show. Then that's fine. But if you watch the story, and I'm not saying Sheryl has no focus, the ones who have always been giving the most focus here are Alto and Ranka's character developments. Based on the spoilers, it's going to be like this for the first half of the series. That's big and not something to ignore.

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-06-24 at 17:09.
Old 2008-06-24, 17:07   Link #467
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

I'm betting that with Alto's amazing track record in his VF, he somehow blows up while saving Humanity...

And so we're left with an Sheryl x Ranka ending.

--

Sheryl has a head start on Ranka, its time for Ranka to shine. Depending on how the writers are in the upcoming episodes, it can go both ways... but...

Really though, the only way I can see a plausible Alto x Ranka ending happening is if one of two things happen...

1) Ranka gives up her dreams at stardom while Sheryl stays on top on the lone road.
2) Sheryl dies.

In my eyes just about everything about an Alto x Ranka pairing leaves a rather depressed and lonely Sheryl in the background... honestly it's something I'm not too happy about.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...

Last edited by TwilightHack; 2008-06-24 at 17:24.
Old 2008-06-24, 17:08   Link #468
Tak

Quote:
All I'm saying is to point to me an episode that's very much like episode 10 here where even the SherylxAlto kiss was used as plot device for Ranka to settle her own feelings for Alto. I don't think I'm in denial when I say I haven't seen an episode like that.
You are talking about two completely different character set up here. Ranka, as I said over and over again, always require a catalyst before she can make a decision. Episode 10 is no different. This is simply one of her character attributes. Sheryl doesn't need any set-up like this because she has a completely different approach, therefore rendering anything like Episode 10 quite pointless for Sheryl's character development.

Otherwise, its nothing special, at all.

Quote:
Ok...Let me make myself clear once again. When I said Ranka has the more focus here, it's between her AND Sheryl. I'm talking about the LT. It's a given that MF is going to be focused on Alto. Please, if I've been being discredit here cuz of the fact that I keep saying Ranka Ranka Ranka, then no, I don't think the main MAIN character of the show is Ranka, it's Alto.
I don't share with your view. I see two females, one girl and a woman, doing their own things, with Ranka more aggressively wanting to pursue Alto's heart but not daring to do so publicly and Sheryl still unsure of her feelings but nonetheless enjoys the company of Alto but not embarrassed to admit it. They offer different approaches, without again, one edging out the other.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 17:11   Link #469
Tsuchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post

1) Ranka gives up her dreams at stardom while Sheryl stays on top on the lone road.
This is only something minmei would do

and we all know what happen there....
Old 2008-06-24, 17:20   Link #470
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
I'm betting that with Alto's amazing track record in his VF, he somehow blows up while saving Humanity...

And so we're left with an Sheryl x Ranka ending.
I hope they don't go this route, but I could really see it happening more and more...
Old 2008-06-24, 17:49   Link #471
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
This has been touched up briefly, but probably not looked at by itself. What is Alto to Ranka? What is Alto to Sheryl?

Alto is a friend and supporter, and crush to Ranka. He's saved her life, he's been there to listen to her problems(over, and over, and over again), and she thinks he's pretty. He's like a crutch she leans on for support. Eventually though, she will have to stand on her own two feet. Without relying on Ozma, Nanase, Mickel, and yes Alto. She relies on everyone right now. There's no character growth if she doesn't learn to do things on her own. This is going to be key in how she develops in the rest of the series.

Alto is also a friend to Sheryl(when she has none), he's saved her life(like he has with Ranka), and he's making Sheryl see the value of relying on someone else from time to time. She's so use to relying on herself, it's something she's getting use to. There's only one person who sees Sheryl, as a normal woman. Not some celebrity to fawn over. Alto. He's the only character so far, who acknowledges her as another normal human being. With the fame and popularity that she has now, there's little chance of her finding guys who will treat her like that. At least not without alterior motives...

From a character growth standpoint, Ranka has the most to gain in terms of growing from start to finish. I acknowledge that with my character analysis awhile back. Sheryl doesn't have as much room to grow, and I'm not sure Alto does either. This is why I believe there is more emphasis on Ranka, than Alto and Sheryl, as she is more of the main, 'main' character of the 3. And this is also why I feel she will not be the one getting the romantic ending. Her not getting Alto, will push even more character growth, than say if Sheryl didn't. It will reinforce the growing up, maturing, learning to do things on her own, aspect of character growth that everyone knows she needs to go through.

Ranka is very much the underdog in the quest for love. Any writer should see this...
Old 2008-06-24, 18:38   Link #472
Wesley84

When has Ranka had an oppurtunity to express herself properly?
Old 2008-06-24, 18:44   Link #473
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
When has Ranka had an oppurtunity to express herself properly?
Apparently she writes a lot of text messages, or so I am told.
Old 2008-06-24, 18:56   Link #474
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
From a character growth standpoint, Ranka has the most to gain in terms of growing from start to finish. I acknowledge that with my character analysis awhile back. Sheryl doesn't have as much room to grow, and I'm not sure Alto does either. This is why I believe there is more emphasis on Ranka, than Alto and Sheryl, as she is more of the main, 'main' character of the 3. And this is also why I feel she will not be the one getting the romantic ending. Her not getting Alto, will push even more character growth, than say if Sheryl didn't. It will reinforce the growing up, maturing, learning to do things on her own, aspect of character growth that everyone knows she needs to go through.

Ranka is very much the underdog in the quest for love. Any writer should see this...
Just,

Like the new portrait and sig, almost didn't recognize you there. I think you hit the analysis right on again. Between the ending sequences of episode 10 and 11 (underwater movie kiss & waiting alone on the hill), Ranka's relationship with Alto screams of bittersweet teenager crush. And her moving beyond that and becoming an independent woman is probably much more meaningful form of character growth than the stereotypical plot of moeblob gets her boy toy.

This is not to say Ranka x Alto ending is impossible. Heck, Sheryl can always turns out to be a cyborg or something. But based on current trends, it looks like Sheryl x Alto with Ranka maturing and becoming independent person seem to be the likely outcome.

Eitherway, it's definitely going to be an interesting ride getting there. I am really enjoying the way they are developing Ranka as a character. She has definitely becoming more sympathetic in the last two episodes.
Old 2008-06-24, 19:02   Link #475
Tak

Then Ranka would end up traveling with Sheryl & Alto despite the latter two's martial status by the end of Frontier.

Just like Minmei.

Did she have to go on Megaroad I? Did she? Nooooooo. She went on that ship because despite Hikaru and Misa being married, she didn't give up!

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 19:14   Link #476
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Then Ranka would end up traveling with Sheryl & Alto despite the latter two's martial status by the end of Frontier.

Just like Minmei.

Did she have to go on Megaroad I? Did she? Nooooooo. She went on that ship because despite Hikaru and Misa being married, she didn't give up!

- Tak
For some reason that reminds me of the awful-ness that was Robotech II. I only made it through about 20 or 30 minutes total, but I FF to the end and just rember Minmay saying something like "Oh well, I guess I HAVE to move on with my life now..."
Old 2008-06-24, 19:17   Link #477
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
For some reason that reminds me of the awful-ness that was Robotech II. I only made it through about 20 or 30 minutes total, but I FF to the end and just rember Minmay saying something like "Oh well, I guess I HAVE to move on with my life now..."
I saw it on YOUTUBE once. I didn't know what it was.

Clicked it and wow... Macross animated by US animators...

Just ... wow...

It was so awful I was left totally speechless.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 19:34   Link #478
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
It was so awful I was left totally speechless.
I'm still suffering from PTSD after seeing it.
Old 2008-06-24, 20:17   Link #479
Tak

So after acquiring Ranka's single today, and looking at her on the cover...

I think she is quite hot. . . in a way. . .

Oh shit, what is happening to me. I am confused, *gurgle*~

- Tak
Old 2008-06-24, 20:20   Link #480
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
So after acquiring Ranka's single today, and looking at her on the cover...

I think she is quite hot. . . in a way. . .

Oh shit, what is happening to me. I am confused, *gurgle*~

- Tak
If I were in middle school anime, I'd think she was hot too. If she looked about 4-6 years older, I'd agree with you now. However, she looks 12 to me, and at my age, I can't even.

Tags
romance