AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-06, 02:21   Link #1
nomuni
Animal Gangster

Comedy/Other good anime suggestions? 100+ Animelist included - comprehensive!

I watched 100+ anime based on careful scanning of the plot and determining if they were worth a shot. The list is mostly comprised of well known and well received anime titles.

You can probably determine my taste by the ranking of the titles. For unambiguity, I'll clarify the scores. I used MyAnimeList.net's web application and also used their scoring system:
10 masterpiece,
9 great,
8 very good,
7 good,
6 fine,
5 average,
4 bad,
3 very bad,
2 horrible,
1 unwatchable.

I took this scale quite literally, and thus, anything 5 and above is okay. However, the animes that really suits my taste are those with score 7 and up. The animes with the scores 9-10 are the ones that I absolutely loved and would very much like more of, but for the most part 7-10 is what I generally like.

You can see a lot of emphasis is on comedy but really good story lines and/or style like Death Note and Code Geass is also superb. You can also see which kinds of anime I can't stand to watch by the dropped section. Ugh. Or it was just too long but that's clarified by the scores they have as well.

Basically I'd like comedy (of any other genre, action, romance...) suggestions but if you think you have a non-comedy with a killer good story then by all means, shoot!

Here is my anime list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Leechlife

*Btw, you can sort by score by clicking it. It'll make things easier!

*Feel free to use my list as a guide if you have similar taste because it really helps. I only watch the best hehe. Thanks!

Last edited by nomuni; 2009-06-06 at 03:01. Reason: bad title sorry
Old 2009-06-06, 02:48   Link #2
jedinat

I'll recommend a few based on series you've liked... (though some of your ratings seem kind of bizarre to me... how can one have the good taste to rate Full Moon a '9' yet give the same rating to He is My Master? )

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro --> Ghost Hunt
Lucky ☆ Star --> Azumanga Daiou
Full Moon wo Sagashite --> Princess Tutu
ehh, forget that format. Few of my favorite anime:
Haibane Renmei
Hellsing (2006)
Kamichu!

You've made a good start, but you've still got a long way to go before you run out. I'm jealous.

Ah, I forgot a comedy suggestion... Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu is hilarious.
Old 2009-06-06, 02:52   Link #3
nomuni
Animal Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I'll recommend a few based on series you've liked... (though some of your ratings seem kind of bizarre to me... how can one have the good taste to rate Full Moon a '9' yet give the same rating to He is My Master? )

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro --> Ghost Hunt
Lucky ☆ Star --> Azumanga Daiou
Full Moon wo Sagashite --> Princess Tutu
ehh, forget that format. Few of my favorite anime:
Haibane Renmei
Hellsing (2006)
Kamichu!

You've made a good start, but you've still got a long way to go before you run out. I'm jealous.
Hey, thank for the response. I think I gave Full Moon a 9 because I saw it a long time ago when I began watching anime seriously and it left a good impression on my mind. It was good from what I can remember but I guess my tastes changed to HIMM type of anime. I think I would still enjoy Full Moon though. I know a good anime when I see one but I also like the non-serious stuff.

I'll give your suggestions a try with an episode or two! That's usually my threshold if I don;t find it interesting in the least.
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu sounds good. asap for me!
Old 2009-06-06, 07:57   Link #4
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

You seem to have widely varied tastes judging from your high scores and low/dropped. very difficult to recommend stuff when you rate one series a 10 and drop something very similar, with all sorts of variation in between.

However with barely a hundred completed titles it's hardly fair saying you've seen almost all the good anime. There's decades worth to delve in to, and constantly new things coming out. :\
Old 2009-06-06, 10:57   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, based on your tastes I think Full Metal Alchemist is probably a safe recommendation.

For older stuff, Ranma 1/2 might fit your taste.

Harder to tell if you'd like Maison Ikkoku, you dropped Honey and Clover, but gave Love Hina a 7. Maison Ikkoku is often compared to Love Hina (although in reality Maison Ikkoku came first and is much better).

You might try Chrono Crusade and Soul Eater out. (People complain about the endings to those two, personally I like the Chrono Crusade ending, and didn't care for the Soul Eater ending, but they were both pretty good).
Old 2009-06-06, 12:14   Link #6
nomuni
Animal Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Well, based on your tastes I think Full Metal Alchemist is probably a safe recommendation.

For older stuff, Ranma 1/2 might fit your taste.

Harder to tell if you'd like Maison Ikkoku, you dropped Honey and Clover, but gave Love Hina a 7. Maison Ikkoku is often compared to Love Hina (although in reality Maison Ikkoku came first and is much better).

You might try Chrono Crusade and Soul Eater out. (People complain about the endings to those two, personally I like the Chrono Crusade ending, and didn't care for the Soul Eater ending, but they were both pretty good).
Well, Honey and Clover was really girly for me while Love Hina was more for guys. I guess that's the difference that did it for me. The ones that were dropped are markedly different from the ones I follow through with, at least for me. I'll try some of them out! Thanks.
Old 2009-06-06, 12:22   Link #7
nomuni
Animal Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
You seem to have widely varied tastes judging from your high scores and low/dropped. very difficult to recommend stuff when you rate one series a 10 and drop something very similar, with all sorts of variation in between.

However with barely a hundred completed titles it's hardly fair saying you've seen almost all the good anime. There's decades worth to delve in to, and constantly new things coming out. :\
Maybe I am too picky with my anime. The reason why I say that I've watched almost all the good anime is because I usually watch by streaming and the sites that stream has a limited list of which I know most of the good ones, based on my preference anyways.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. Anything above 5 means I liked it and watched it with pleasure. It's just that scores 9-10 I really really enjoyed. I hope that clears things up!
Old 2009-06-06, 14:22   Link #8
Vital Regions

Gankutsuou, Haibane Renmei, and Princess Tutu. Those are my top 3 anime ever, and none are on your list.
Old 2009-06-06, 15:57   Link #9
Shadow Kira01

Although, it seems that we give different scores quite often but..

By comparing our lists, you are missing these animes..

Ah! My Goddess 2
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
K-ON!
Kannagi
Seto no Hanayome
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya-chan
To Love Ru
Old 2009-06-06, 17:19   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't see Kure-nai or Seirei no Moribito on your list. No Hataraki Man, either. That show might appeal to the person who liked Bartender so much.
Old 2009-06-07, 04:04   Link #11
*reira*

I have to say I really don't understand the logic behind some of your scores, but we do have diverging tastes anyway. You've certainly seen too little to be able to say you've seen the best though ^^'-
As for comedy suggestions, why don't you try Seto no Hanayome? It seems like it might be up your alley.
Old 2009-06-07, 04:37   Link #12
Autumn Demon
~

comedy:
hayate no gotoku
kimi ga aruji de shitsuji ga ore de
flcl
kannagi
maria holic

"killer good story":
ookami to koushinryou
kino no tabi
seikai no monshou/senki
Old 2009-06-08, 07:44   Link #13
nomuni
Animal Gangster

Excellent! These suggestions will keep me busy for a while. Thanks!
Old 2009-06-08, 09:04   Link #14
Tier3

Screw those suggestions. Eureka Seven. Do it now.
Old 2009-06-09, 08:21   Link #15
gonzo562

dont see these on your list

zegapain sci-fi, mecha

planet es slice of life/ sci fi

banner of the stars
crest of the wars - war/drama
Old 2009-06-10, 15:06   Link #16
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

As someone else mentioned, Kamichu! is a very good anime, if you like a sweet, subtle romance story.

A few of my Favorites are:
Mai-HiME-Probably one of the best anime shows I have ever seen. At no point did I become bored with this show. There is a pretty decent amount of "School life" in this, its also full of action, romance, comedy, and suspense.

Shrine of the Morning Mist-Another very entertaining anime to watch. If you like anime with action and comedy, then I recommend this. The episode flow is a lot different then most shows, so I was entertained while watching this series. This is also a series that has a lot of shinto-themed things in it, if your into that.

Maburaho-A very fun and entertaining anime. School life, magic, comedy, and female harem probably describe it best. This series does have some ecchi in it, as well as some sexual themes. ( I learned that it is not a good idea to watch this with your little brother ._.) Like the others, this kept me entertained most of the time, and I was rather impressed.
Old 2009-06-13, 04:14   Link #17
kamehameha

macross frontier- love triangle/mecha/musical/some philosophy.
toradora!- just because you like romantic school life settings

some really good ones that i thought:
Gundam 00
darker than black
guureen lagaan
Old 2009-06-13, 04:16   Link #18
kamehameha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier3 View Post
Screw those suggestions. Eureka Seven. Do it now.
haha eureka seven too.. it's pure awsomeness.
Old 2009-06-13, 07:18   Link #19
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Judging from your list, you dislike slice of life animes and don't really care much about animes in the line of GitS.

I will second the following suggestions:
- Eureka Seven
- FLCL
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Kenichi
- Darker than Black

The other recs are good or really good as well, but they probably won't fit your taste.

Try those as well:

- Gunsmith Cats
- Hellsing Ultimate (not the TV series)
- Hokuto no Ken
- Hunter x Hunter
- Last Exile
- Shigurui
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2009-06-13, 19:45   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Any news on what you've thought of the various suggestions you've tried out?
Closed Thread