AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-14, 08:24   Link #221
Weils

Is it required to watch through the first Last Exile in order to understand the story for Fam of the Silver Wing?

I'm going through a last minute marathon of Last Exile now, currently at episode 8.

The Usual Suspects
Weils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 08:37   Link #222
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Alvis was posted on the official website. She have a new VA: Hanazawa Kana. Her ears are a lot more elf like than a remember.
Great, they changed the voice actress for this girl.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 09:12   Link #223
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weils View Post
Is it required to watch through the first Last Exile in order to understand the story for Fam of the Silver Wing?

I'm going through a last minute marathon of Last Exile now, currently at episode 8.
Hard to say without watching it. I suspect that there is going to be enough exposition in the second show to bring newcomers up to speed on a few things, but I also expect less exposition on old characters, which might make a few things confusing. It was a character interaction heavy show and some of the relationship are complex.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 09:57   Link #224
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Who did HanaKana voice in the original, Duke Mad-Thane's daughter? And it looks like Al stole one of the guild's old outfits and remade it, she does look pretty cute though.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 15:04   Link #225
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weils View Post
Is it required to watch through the first Last Exile in order to understand the story for Fam of the Silver Wing?....
Absolutely not, as far as I can tell. Knowing the earlier story might add something, but this is another world and another time and almost entirely new characters.

I certainly enjoyed ep1, but I look forward to seeing it with subs and in higher definition (I saw it on a Japanese streaming site). A real story, moved into quickly, but with the characters fairly well introduced, it seemed to me. Toyosaki Aki, Yuuki Aoi, Sawashiro Miyuki, Saitou Chiwa -- all present and doing their thing. As Ao-chan has said, it gives the feeling of an anime film.

Here's my characters/seiyuus page to give you a bit of context for the characters, and pics of the seiyuus with their characters.

I expect some people will be offended by the fanservice that appears early on. It is a clear declaration that this is not the 2003 Last Exile.

In the original, Hanazawa Kana played "Holy Madosein." She would have been 14 at the time (she is now 22).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-10-14 at 15:24.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 15:34   Link #226
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

And it appears that the US simulcast won't start until Monday the 17th at 11 am actually, I think because of the new joint deal it'll be shown on NicoNico instead of Funi's website. Boooo, I was really looking forward to watching it today too.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 16:27   Link #227
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Absolutely not, as far as I can tell. Knowing the earlier story might add something, but this is another world and another time and almost entirely new characters.
But, why would one deprive themselves of watching one of the best anime of the last decade?

Anyways, I broke down and watched it unsubbed. I'll hold off on my thoughts on the story etc till subs are out. However, I have to say...damn. Gonzo hasn't lost its touch. It looked fantastic. From what I saw and what was shown in the OP, most of the trepidition that this would simply be K-ON on vaanships this time around are completely gone, though I doubt it'll be as great as the first series, considering how I consider the first series near perfect, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Some of the voices will take getting used to. I love Miyuki Sawashiro's voice, but it's not usually paired with the type of character she's playing here, so it was initially a little jarring, but by the end of the episode I was groovy with it. Dio's voice is the same VA, but maybe it's been so long since I watched the first series that my memory has changed how I remember his voice sounding. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Already loving Fam, even if she's a very different character from Claus.

The OP song didn't do much for me (but great visuals), while the ED song was great, but not as impressive on the visuals side.

All in all, fantastic first episode.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2011-10-14 at 16:43.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 16:39   Link #228
E_I
Yuri fan

Nice undies Fam.
Wow, Dio's voice is really girly. I never heard his Japanese VA since I watched the first season dubbed.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 17:10   Link #229
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
But, why would one deprive themselves of watching one of the best anime of the last decade?

Anyways, I broke down and watched it unsubbed. I'll hold off on my thoughts on the story etc till subs are out. However, I have to say...damn. Gonzo hasn't lost its touch. It looked fantastic. From what I saw and what was shown in the OP, most of the trepidition that this would simply be K-ON on vaanships this time around are completely gone, though I doubt it'll be as great as the first series, considering how I consider the first series near perfect, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Some of the voices will take getting used to. I love Miyuki Sawashiro's voice, but it's not usually paired with the type of character she's playing here, so it was initially a little jarring, but by the end of the episode I was groovy with it. Dio's voice is the same VA, but maybe it's been so long since I watched the first series that my memory has changed how I remember his voice sounding. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Already loving Fam, even if she's a very different character from Claus.

The OP song didn't do much for me (but great visuals), while the ED song was great, but not as impressive on the visuals side.

All in all, fantastic first episode.
Awesome cannot wait, I felt the same way about the first Last Exile (perfect, and basically my favorite series of my many years of watching anime) so reading that was fantastic

Alvis looks great and as cute as ever on that character page.

With Alvis now confirmed, it definitely feels like it's just a matter of when until Claus and Lavie join her (and probably some of the other key familiars like Sophia and maybe the old crew) and break into the story in some memorable fashion.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-10-14 at 17:22.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 17:18   Link #230
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Oh cool Alvis... now where are Claus and Lavie?
This. I'm hoping Gonzo pulls a Kuroshitsuji 2 on us here.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 17:21   Link #231
azarhal

I like the op visual and song. I could do without the nakedness, though. Also, we get to see most of the characters shown on the official website in it. The Ades generals appear really fast, we can barely see them -me sad-. The only unknowns are the "space pilots" for lack of a name for them (they really seem to be wearing space suit without helmets).

Also, OK is now proper Greek, so is the exclamation mark.

I already like the Sky Pirates, they are crafty. I like The Turan's princess too. I really liked the animation and the battles. I need the subs for the rest.

Oh and Sophia is going to regret telling Dio he can do everything he wants...
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 17:27   Link #232
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I like the op visual and song. I could do without the nakedness, though. Also, we get to see most of the characters shown on the official website in it. The Ades generals appear really fast, we can barely see them -me sad-. The only unknowns are the "space pilots" for lack of a name for them (they really seem to be wearing space suit without helmets).

Also, OK is now proper Greek, so is the exclamation mark.

I already like the Sky Pirates, they are crafty. I like The Turan's princess too. I really liked the animation and the battles. I need the subs for the rest.

Oh and Sophia is going to regret telling Dio he can do everything he wants...
Awesome, the sky pirates sounded really good and well done as a group in all the general impression discussions of the Anime Expo premiere.

LOL at the Dio thing.
Old 2011-10-14, 18:23   Link #233
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
should I pull out the LE dvds and speed-watch the series over again? I remember the first 2/3rds of the story very well, watching it several times and remembering the details very well compared to the last 1/3, which I've only watched once due to its pacing and further lack of characterization(going by what I remember of it at least).
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 19:18   Link #234
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

@ Guardian Enzo -- Lavie may or may not show up, but Lavie's seiyuu (Saitou Chiwa) has already appeared -- as Teddy, the princesses' klutzy servant. No hint yet of Claus (Ayano Masumi). Chiwa's voice and range have changed a lot in eight years.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 20:00   Link #235
imbehindyou
turn around...

Oh Dio, you were so Dio...

I'm kinda late with this, but just looked at the character pages in detail... so the Empress of Ades Fed is a small, young girl.... (very cute, though!)

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 20:24   Link #236
DangerMouse

Ok had to watch, having seen the posts and the RAW out I knew I wouldn't be able to resist for long especially those stunning visuals and the BGM from helplessly the skimming the ep, lol.

Can't comment on specifics without the subs but the expressive characters and superb animation made it even easier to follow what was going on with the characters, can't wait for the subs as I really enjoyed the general gist of everything happening and the seemingly very quickly accessible characters since I already like Fam, Giselle, and the Sky Pirates and started to like the two princesses, and no one was kidding, the return of Last Exile is gorgeous visually, the "touch" is still there, the beautiful character animation, the ship CG, those battles, the art, sweet Gonzo. The pacing felt spot on too.

Like Kaoru Chujo said, I wouldn't be surprised if the two short instances of fanservice (the opening bit and the bit of nudity in the beginning of the OP) towards the beginning which then pretty much disappear gets a few eyerolls since the bit of unnecessary fanservice is something the first series generally avoided. Still, even with the light fanservice I found the opening moment quite amusing and very effortlessly introduced Fam and her personality and her comradery with her navigator and the sky pirate crew and how she was tied off for her seemingly regular sleep walks lol with surprisingly little dialogue needed.

More importantly though, the rest of the episode and OP, like creb said, quickly establishes that there's nothing to be afraid of in that like the first series this thing would definitely get large scale and serious which develops surprisingly quickly. I loved the smooth progression from starting with their sky pirate routine as a great introduction and then setting things up with Adess and Turan and just enough down time for Fam and Giselle and then the build up towards the second half where Fam and the sky pirates and Dio do their thing.

It's unnecessary to have seen the first series for the first ep, however I will say that those who have seen the first will be able to fully appreciate Dio's personality right off the bat having fully experienced it before while new fans are just getting to know him, he was just so Dio, lol

Oh man, while he didn't get to do the OP, even if it's not him since I didn't check the end of credits, that certainly sounds a Shuntaro-inspiried piece that plays in the sky pirate mission right after the OP, I loved that sequence and that piece of music, and the BGM sooooo good and inspiredly used, Hitomi Kuroishi off to a great start, can't wait to hear what else she has in store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
should I pull out the LE dvds and speed-watch the series over again? I remember the first 2/3rds of the story very well, watching it several times and remembering the details very well compared to the last 1/3, which I've only watched once due to its pacing and further lack of characterization(going by what I remember of it at least).
Frubam, so far it's not necessary to know anything about the first series so you're ready to watch as soon as the ep goes up, but eventually you may as well refresh yourself of whatever you don't remember.

Since you said you remember the first two thirds you'll even get a little extra spark out of it in a couple of ways as a returning viewer, such as the natural feel of the world, recognizing the old characters in the OP and being able to fully appreciate Dio right off the bat before they fully re-introduce him beyond just the early introductions of a first episode. You can easily watch this week's ep and then refresh yourself of what you don't remember during the week.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-10-14 at 21:10.
Old 2011-10-14, 20:28   Link #237
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbehindyou View Post
Oh Dio, you were so Dio...

I'm kinda late with this, but just looked at the character pages in detail... so the Empress of Ades Fed is a small, young girl.... (very cute, though!)
My guess is she's a puppet in the classic put a child on the throne and pull its strings sort of way. You can see the mother who was also empress on the character page, which would insinuate the mother must have met an early demise/imprisonment/whatever to have cleared the stage for such a young girl to become empress.

Then you have Luskinia (guy with eye-patch) as the President, and that hints at the type of government balanced between royalty and some sort of republic where in the case of some child on the throne, likely greatly swings the pendulum of power to the President.

So, I wouldn't expect that young (but cute) girl to be holding much actual power.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-14, 21:08   Link #238
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

I couldn't resist and watched the raw regardless how poor my Japanese understanding is. I was too excited and anxious to wait.

Spoiler:
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 21:33   Link #239
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
It helps establish the world of LE also, which I think this is still taking place in Prester. Until it's said otherwise, I'm assuming this is still Prester. (Unless... this is actually Earth.)
Spoiler for Spoiler if you really don't want to know the answer to this question even though it's been stated in half the descriptions of the show and flat out said by the producers in interviews. ;p:
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-14, 22:13   Link #240
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler if you really don't want to know the answer to this question even though it's been stated in half the descriptions of the show and flat out said by the producers in interviews. ;p:
Spoiler:
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, science fiction