AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-10-16, 11:30   Link #1
NeverKnewINeeded

Madoka Magica - New Season/Series Information and Speculation

MOD EDIT: This thread is for discussing the almost certain but not yet official continuation of the Madoka story/universe after the third movie. I've moved a bunch of posts to this thread since they were more suited for this topic.

Gen Urobuchi wants to add new writers for hypothetical half-year TV series

Quote:
Writer Gen Urobuchi revealed in a Sports Hochi newspaper interview published on Tuesday that the Puella Magi Madoka Magica staff is considering a new television series after the third film, as well as more films. In Sports Hochi's extra issue dedicated to Madoka Magica, he said that plans for a half-year (two kūru or cours) series are being considered.

Urobuchi added that he would like to bring in new writers for the hypothetical new series. He explained that if new writers are not brought in and if he was no longer around, there may not be another Madoka project: "I think the story should outlive its creators."

Urobuchi had already revealed in the theatrical pamphlet for Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 2: Eternal that the third film, with its all-new plot, will not be the end of the Madoka Magica story. In Sports Hochi, Urobuchi said that the third film's story coincidentally matches the lyrics to Kalafina's television ending theme song "Magia," if one examines them carefully.

Spoiler (highlight the following white text to read)
Spoiler:

Gekijō-ban Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica Shinpen: Hangyaku no Monogatari (Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie New [Arc]: Rebellion [Story]) will open next year. Aniplex of America and Eleven Arts are screening the first two films in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Houston, and San Francisco, starting this Friday. The films are also playing in 13 other cities in seven other countries this year.

[Via 0takomu]

Last edited by Solace; 2012-10-17 at 17:52. Reason: Updated post with explanation.
NeverKnewINeeded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 11:56   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was predictable. I'm afraid they're going to milk this series into the ground.
Old 2012-10-16, 12:00   Link #3
getdoubles

I would wish that they just leave it at the third film because the anime already gave us a solid conclusion wiith the third film pushing it.
getdoubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 12:32   Link #4
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yep, anyone could see this coming considering the sales and Shinbo's "perpective" regarding anime in general.
I personally suspect the original ending was slightly altered in order to have a movie and possible sequence afterwards, but that's of course mere speculation.

What's actually more worrying is Urobuchi's intent to make the series outliving its creators, which is hardly a good idea no matter how you look at it.
Old 2012-10-16, 13:06   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Plenty of stories outlive their creators. I don't think that's good or bad generally. I also am not surprised that they want to keep the story going, or at least the universe of the story. I only consider something "milked" when the people making it decide to phone in their creativity.
Old 2012-10-16, 13:16   Link #6
Animexcel

I'm kinda seeing this going the Power Ranger or Digimon route where new characters are brought in as the original 5 get old, die, or "retire"; giving it a new title "Puella Magi Turbo Super Z" of some sort. Unless they follow Sailormoon and get different outfits and transgender characters come in. Hey, it could happen.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 15:25   Link #7
marconii2002

Madoka Magica - New Season/Series Information and Speculation

New Madoka Magica Show Considered After 3rd Film http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...after-3rd-film
marconii2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 15:52   Link #8
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
The Puella Magi universe is capable of supporting much more characters than the original five, as demonstrated by the manga and extracanonical content.

And that's probably the way they'll go since Madoka and Sayaka are pretty much out of the picture now. I want to see new Magical Girls from other eras, locations, and towns. The original five are great, but I don't want them to be the end-all and be-all of Puella Magi.
Old 2012-10-16, 15:58   Link #9
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
What's actually more worrying is Urobuchi's intent to make the series outliving its creators, which is hardly a good idea no matter how you look at it.
Well, a lot of book universes are mantained that way; like the Dragonlance Series which, despite having Margaret Weis is actually maintained and kept alive by a large number of authors. The series won't be winning any Nobel awards anytime soon, but it keeps itself entertaining and fresh because of the new blood that is brought. In general this kind of projects tend to work as long as the original author/some committee stays around to oversee and keep some QC.

Last edited by Proto; 2012-10-16 at 16:15.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 23:57   Link #10
Cloudy

With Gen considering thoughts of making the Madoka franchise to outlive its creators, I think Madoka might be a common household franchise by the year 2060 just like Batman and X-Men.
Old 2012-10-17, 01:24   Link #11
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Oh god. "Puella Magi: Crisis of Infinite Earths."

"Puella Magi: Messiah Complex"

"Puella Magi: House of M(adoka)"

"Puella Magi: Blackest Night"
Old 2012-10-17, 01:25   Link #12
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
With Gen considering thoughts of making the Madoka franchise to outlive its creators, I think Madoka might be a common household franchise by the year 2060 just like Batman and X-Men.
Old 2012-10-17, 01:42   Link #13
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol Stan Lee cameo.
Old 2012-10-17, 03:36   Link #14
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

I just hope they can keep the quality in the sequel.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 04:08   Link #15
Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Oh god. "Puella Magi: Crisis of Infinite Earths."

"Puella Magi: Messiah Complex"

"Puella Magi: House of M(adoka)"

"Puella Magi: Blackest Night"
Puella Magi: Days Of Future Past

Puella Magi: The Killing Joke

The Dark Homu Returns

I think they could even make genderbent Madoka or Sealdoka spinoffs. I won't be surprised if one writer decide to fuck up the franchise in an installment with Homura showing off her own credit card and make the campyness up to eleven.
Old 2012-10-17, 06:34   Link #16
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

If the Pretty Cure series can go on for at least 9 seasons (and still going strong) with tons of movies in between seasons, I don't see why they can't do it for Madoka either. Of course, different audience, different tastes, so what works for one may not work for the other without seriously changing the concept, but if they can do it right, Madoka will be a money-making franchise for years to come.
Old 2012-10-17, 09:50   Link #17
maximilianjenus
[E]

all the examples you guys gave are horrible, you make me sad inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Yep, anyone could see this coming considering the sales and Shinbo's "perpective" regarding anime in general.
I personally suspect the original ending was slightly altered in order to have a movie and possible sequence afterwards, but that's of course mere speculation.

yah, saw it coming since they announced the mami and kyouko's excellent adventure manga , I think that they want to be more like gundam than eva.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 11:20   Link #18
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Next thing you'll know, there will be Christopher Nolan adaptations.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 11:28   Link #19
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
The Puella Magi universe is capable of supporting much more characters than the original five, as demonstrated by the manga and extracanonical content.

And that's probably the way they'll go since Madoka and Sayaka are pretty much out of the picture now. I want to see new Magical Girls from other eras, locations, and towns. The original five are great, but I don't want them to be the end-all and be-all of Puella Magi.
That's my main worry: the spin off manga are, imho, terrible: the pacing and the content are hardly anything to write home about (not like the original anime series is perfect, but at least could have its own charm), and it was quite loosely tied to the main series.

To begin with, a series that manages to establish itself for a specific set of events and/or period might not do as hot as other series that established long set of subsequent sequels and spin off right from the get go.

Really, if Urobuchi was really planning the series to be potent enough for that announce timespan, the anime would have been gone differently. In fact, the number of anime/manga that can span that long is basicaly close to none (I'm not counting monsters like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Jojo, etc because they aren't spanning past their creators lifespan yet, even if they have the level for it).
Old 2012-10-17, 12:42   Link #20
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Next thing you'll know, there will be Christopher Nolan adaptations.
You called?