AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-14, 02:45   Link #1201
Reiji Tabibito
The OTHER Time Lord

So, after making my usual end-of-season rounds for fully subbed anime series, I came upon AkaSaka. Knowing only the general premise (which I have seen elsewhere), that it was supposed to be a romantic comedy, and that it featured the two Ries (Tanaka and Kugimiya) in the primary cast, I decided to give it a try.

Because, as Reiji's Third Rule of Anime says, a good anime is not found in the premise, a good anime is found in the execution.

Then, I came here, and read through the whole of the thread, to see what others had to say.

And what I found was...well, you're about to find out.

Spoiler for 1st Section: General Thoughts on AkaSaka:

Spoiler for 2nd Section: Thoughts on the Episodic Progression of AkaSaka:

Spoiler for 3rd Section: Thoughts on Yuuhi:

Spoiler for Last Section: Thoughts regarding Yuuhi/Jun/Minato:

Just my thoughts on the whole thing.

And now, a couple of questions, for those of you who've played the games.

Spoiler for Questions:

And that's pretty much it for now.
Reiji Tabibito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 23:50   Link #1202
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, since the mods got anal elsewhere and I did have a comment or two here anyways...

with the OVA- I can say, I absolutely loved it... there are very few things out there that can bring me to the brink of a metaphorical nosebleed, and this OVA was one of them. Very funny, very ecchi... and the one comment about hentai...well, to put it simply, I do my fair searching for it. Admittedly, they probably should've just turned this into a hentai OVA, but I've got the CG set for the game and therefore I'm all set

however, this has officially put me on guard for all future harem series, knowing that the producers have officially gone and pulled an ending out of their asses with no regard to development of the relationship...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 00:40   Link #1203
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

This love triangle between Jun, Minato and Yuhii kinda resembles the one in Da Capo... but much less dramatic / elaborated.... I dont think they should touch this kind of incest relations if they are not going to at least explain it well...

Putting this asiade.. i'll give this series a 6/10 for the good harem / ecchi and ok character personalities... specially Yuhhi =D
Old 2009-08-28, 00:58   Link #1204
velvet nightmare

wait what? this series is done?

i had the impression of the ending that there was going to be something more to finish off the story

either that or the ending was so weak i didn't realize it was a harem ending
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 15:40   Link #1205
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

I love this anime and I usually hate animes based on eroges.

I think it's because Junichi is probably one of the only male leads EVER other than Kyon from Haruhi that doesn't majorly piss me off by being a total pussy.

Also, The fact that Yuuhi and Minato, while being rivals in a sense, really DO love eachother so much. It's like Yuuhi said. "It's true that I love Junichi. But I love YOU just as much!"

The second to last episode was beautiful. Minato crying in her lap, begging for forgiveness, etc. I thought it was a great story and I didn't expect that ending.
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 15:43   Link #1206
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
incest is 200% ok to me in anime

and actually, I don't know how I will react in real life either if I see an incest couple

for example, if your neighbor is a very very nice couple...I mean, that "husband and wife" treat everyone very politely, and they are very very kind..and then you know they are an incest couple..you gonna call police or insult them to no end?? After all it's their business

sure all the law and biology course tell us how the incest coupe is wrong, but in reality if they live together very happily, it's really their business I guess...I would rather have a nice incest couple as my neighbor over a mean or trouble-making normal couple as my neighbor XD

I agree. I don't really think there's anything that wrong with sibling incest. I don't think she should be aloud to have children, for genetics reasons. But if they're both of age, and consenting, what's the problem?
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 16:39   Link #1207
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba View Post
I don't really think there's anything that wrong with sibling incest.
Since there's a good chance that they are not blood-related, incest is not even a problem here

Even so, this type of ending which came out of nowhere, with no real build-up at all (the first ten eps were all about Yuhi and Junichi getting to like each other)
simply sucks
Old 2009-09-20, 22:14   Link #1208
velvet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba View Post
I agree. I don't really think there's anything that wrong with sibling incest. I don't think she should be aloud to have children, for genetics reasons. But if they're both of age, and consenting, what's the problem?
because you're really going to have the capacity to stop them from having children right?
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 13:16   Link #1209
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
because you're really going to have the capacity to stop them from having children right?
You always could use the Chiri Kitsu method of contraception.

OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 10:49   Link #1210
Crisis
Rock on ^^

The idea of Jun x Minato , even though it is alright as they are not blood related is a bit upsetting. Imagine treating someone as ur sis for your whole life and then suddenly looking at her in a different light.

Cosplay at it's best Thread
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 11:52   Link #1211
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
The idea of Jun x Minato , even though it is alright as they are not blood related is a bit upsetting. Imagine treating someone as ur sis for your whole life and then suddenly looking at her in a different light.
Did they ever actually treat each other as siblings, though? It seems to me the show's point was that they were just going through the motions in order to do what seemed right. Probably also matters that they were separated for a long time; if they had actually been raised as siblings and been together the whole time, it might have been a different story. But anyway, the anime didn't really get into too much detail on this point, so it's hard to really analyse it too much.
Old 2010-04-16, 04:26   Link #1212
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Did they ever actually treat each other as siblings, though? It seems to me the show's point was that they were just going through the motions in order to do what seemed right. Probably also matters that they were separated for a long time; if they had actually been raised as siblings and been together the whole time, it might have been a different story. But anyway, the anime didn't really get into too much detail on this point, so it's hard to really analyse it too much.
Well, one has to remember that this anime was born from a ero game. What can you expect?! surely, it won't stick to moral values.
If I remember clearly, Shuffle! had a similar situation with Kaede? That anime too was born from an ero game

Old 2010-04-16, 11:39   Link #1213
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Well, one has to remember that this anime was born from a ero game. What can you expect?! surely, it won't stick to moral values.
If I remember clearly, Shuffle! had a similar situation with Kaede? That anime too was born from an ero game
Well, my point wasn't so much about morality, but it's more that I think the point of the show was that he wasn't "suddenly looking at her in a different light". He has been in love with her ever since they were re-united, but he was trying to hide it out of a sense of propriety. (Of course I also feel that this point wasn't expounded as well as it should have been in the anime; it was much more clear in the original game.)

But yeah, of course, it's eroge morality... but at least it's not totally unexplained or anything. (And incidentally, in Shuffle, although they lived together, they never appeared to even tacitly see each others as siblings; in Rin's mind he was always "in her care". There are other shows that deal with similar topics though, of course.)
Old 2010-04-20, 00:25   Link #1214
m3rryweather

Making a moral judgment on anything based off an eroge in comparison to real life is doomed to failure. If I had my way, I'd be surrounded by a harem of imoutos crying for their beloved "Oniichan!"
m3rryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 09:42   Link #1215
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rryweather View Post
Making a moral judgment on anything based off an eroge in comparison to real life is doomed to failure. If I had my way, I'd be surrounded by a harem of imoutos crying for their beloved "Oniichan!"
ROFL. Made my day....

Old 2010-06-03, 01:50   Link #1216
DanielSong39

Upon further review...

I'm starting to get the feeling Yuuhi dumped Junichi. He was clearly starting to warm up to her, and their relationship seemed to be progressing. However, Yuuhi was the one who ended the engagement, forced Minato to confront her own feeling instead of supporting the engaged couple, and accused Junichi of lusting after Minato.

There's no question that Junichi had feelings for Minato. But it seemed like he was starting to let go, and move on with Yuuhi. But Yuuhi forced his hand early, unwilling to be second best.

Whether Yuuhi was justified is open to interpretation. At the end of the day, she just wasn't that into him - not enough to fight for him, and build a relationship that would overshadow the bond between the siblings.

P.S. I think Yuuhi will eventually move on from Junichi and look for a better guy. And her friendship with Minato will soon wane... as she and Karen will form a dynamic duo! I'm sure the two princesses will each find their princes...
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 02:35   Link #1217
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I'm starting to get the feeling Yuuhi dumped Junichi. He was clearly starting to warm up to her, and their relationship seemed to be progressing. However, Yuuhi was the one who ended the engagement, forced Minato to confront her own feeling instead of supporting the engaged couple, and accused Junichi of lusting after Minato.

There's no question that Junichi had feelings for Minato. But it seemed like he was starting to let go, and move on with Yuuhi. But Yuuhi forced his hand early, unwilling to be second best.
That's a okay theory, but I think it's more like Yuuhi wanted Junichi to make a choice in full awareness; she wanted to make sure that he was being honest with himself. I don't think the purpose of what she did was to "dump him" exactly; cancelling the engagement was just a way of making the choice entirely his without convenient social pressure to fall back on. So I don't think it's necessarily that she was feeling like she was second best, but she wanted to make sure the other issue was addressed before moving forward. This was probably also done out of a sense of fairness to her friend Minato as well, since the forced engagement (along with the family issue) didn't put the two girls on an "even playing field".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Whether Yuuhi was justified is open to interpretation. At the end of the day, she just wasn't that into him - not enough to fight for him, and build a relationship that would overshadow the bond between the siblings.
Yeah, I definitely disagree with this. It's not that she wasn't that into him at all -- on the contrary, she was very much in love with him! But that's why she wanted to make sure that he could return her feelings with all honesty. So she had to be willing to take that leap and let him choose. If he had admitted his hidden feelings for Minato but still chosen Yuuhi in the end, I'm sure Yuuhi would have been more than happy, and wouldn't have considered that playing second fiddle. Yuuhi did the wise thing here and got the skeletons out of the closet first before taking the next step.

All that being said, I hesitate a bit on applying too much motivation to the characters in the anime because I don't feel there's all that much data to draw from. The whole way they structured the anime (as opposed to the original game) was basically designed to force the issue to come to a head in order to emphasize the "love triangle" aspect of the story. They provided just enough information to support this development, but you sort of have to fill in a lot of gaps to fully understand the character motivations. To me, the whole production feels like a sort of "highlight reel" of a much broader/deeper story that could be told, and without that additional (lacking?) detail we just have to assume that the internal logic is all consistent and makes sense. Your approach in interpreting the show seems to cast doubt on the depth of Yuuhi's feelings, but I guess I interpreted the move more as a symbol of her strong feelings (but perhaps I was biased by the game in seeing things that way).

Anyway, it's fun to discuss this franchise again after a while.
Old 2010-06-05, 14:52   Link #1218
DanielSong39

When it comes to the ending, I think Karen said it best:

Imouto?!

Yuuhi's reaction was an interesting one. It's not that uncommon for the love interest in the lead to back down to give others a chance, instead of seizing the advantage. In animeverse, backing down too often results in heartbreak, destroying a relationship that had a lot of potential...

Maybe Yuuhi prefers the role of the underdog, having to fight for every last inch. Not everyone feels comfortable in a front-runner role. Could this be the reason why she allowed Junichi and Minato to get together, yet decided to fight doubly hard to win Junichi over?
Old 2010-06-08, 12:13   Link #1219
Dark Mage

I disliked the ending of the anime. Why? Because Yuhi was a much better character overall, and all the development belonged to her, both character development and the love development between her and Jun. Also, I really am not comfortable with the concept of sibling-love, blood-related or not. And the other thing that bugged me was, we were never really properly shown how Minato and Jun's love developed, whatever happened, it happened off-screen, even before the manga timeline started. I mean most of the series was pointing to the growing feelings Yuhi and Jun had for each other. Yuhi is a much better character. (I dislike this kind of ending where the final girl and her relationship with the guy isnt properly developed but she still wins against the girl with the more development, Alive-the final evolution also chose a pair like that)

Anyone knows the MANGA ending? Is it the same as the anime's?

Last edited by Dark Mage; 2010-06-08 at 12:30.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 23:28   Link #1220
DanielSong39

Dark Mage, I understand your frustration but the blame lies with Yuuhi. She was the one who dropped Junichi when it looked like she was going to be chosen.

If you're blaming the writers, then that's another story.

Tags
comedy, eroge, harem, romance, seinen