AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-07, 07:13   Link #2041
Mikapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
conscious decisions from the anime staff to make the anime more female-friendly.
Maybe also more sponsor-friendly. The Anime is sponsored by "Wakasa Seikatsu," one the major sponsors for women's baseball.
Mikapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 07:39   Link #2042
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikapon View Post
Maybe also more sponsor-friendly. The Anime is sponsored by "Wakasa Seikatsu," one the major sponsors for women's baseball.
That's a big hint, right there.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 11:41   Link #2043
jpwong

Quote:
This is a pretty clever way to put Aoba back into the main storyline without forcing her to drop out of the selection process. Furthermore, it gives even more importance to what happens at the end of this episode. I thought that deserved praise.
It definitely works, and it ropes in that loose end well, though I think I would rather Aoba just tell them flat out that she'd rather stay on board with Seishu instead of going on with them, though I suppose there's still room for that, so I guess I'll wait to see how they continue to play it out next week.

I'm in total agreement about the preview thing, what good is having a cliffhanger ending with all the dramatic suspense if you're planning on ruining it with the preview? I've seen so many animes do this, it just hurts.

Be interesting to see how Azuma handles this incident. Gotta be hard knowing it's at least partially his fault, especially since he's admitted to liking her.
Old 2009-12-07, 11:42   Link #2044
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

So my guess when I watched the episode was right, ep.36 was anime original, but the accident at the end was from the manga. Artistic licenses are fine when making stuff up, but this one particular event seemed a little too important to be an anime invention. A definitely toned down sequence too, the fact it airs in a kid's slot certainly has an influence (in the preview as well), aside two shots of Kou and Azuma, no traces of worried reactions from the teammates and straight to the hospital.

About the selection, as expected from Aoba, what else to say. If I remember correctly, a little while after when Kou had started pitching, his speed was around 130. Aoba now is the same age Kou was then, and can apparently throw even faster than 130. Sort of an ultimate proof that, if she were a guy (I'm connecting to the Kou-Momiji talk in episode 35) she would be stronger than him.

I appreciated that they highlighted the fact that Aoba got number 18, which mad her think about the fact it is the last number for Koshien's bench players. Fate, or cruel irony? Of course I don't want an answer.

And by the way, when Aoba said "arigatou", it started raining here too. It has been cloudy all day, but not a single raindrop had fallen until that moment.
Old 2009-12-07, 11:53   Link #2045
Nosauz

I mean in the manga, she was just lieing on the ground, then you see kou shocked, and azuma as if the life has been sucked out of him, I guess it was a double whammy to him because of ol Niisan
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 12:53   Link #2046
BradF
Evac
*IT Support

Quick question currently as of ep 35/36 were are they located in their school year. 2nd part 2nd year or 1st part 3rd year?
BradF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 13:06   Link #2047
poko-kun

This is last semester of their second year ^^ (February - and/or should be March now)
They will be 3rd year in April
and Summer Koshien starts in mid-June.
Old 2009-12-07, 13:54   Link #2048
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Very enjoyable episode. Everything went as I expected with the ending being the only exception. I was completely caught off guard, it had me worried just as much. For a moment there I was expecting Kou to shout and say "Aoba!" and run towards her but that didn't happen

Even so, I can't wait for next week. I hope we get some more Kou x Aoba interaction

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 15:23   Link #2049
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Quote:
3) Another nice anime addition is how much they extend the "Aoba's thank you curse" running gag.
Yes! That was absolutely hilarious. Kou had a nice facial expression after Aoba said her "thank you" haha.

Overall, this episode was very good for an anime original as others and I have stated. It pays homage to Women’s baseball and clearly shows why Aoba is a one of a kind type of player. She clearly dominated Ryuou's 4th women's batter. For those interested, here is a summary of the events with my very short review.

Episode rating: Good

Last edited by HitagiIsHot; 2009-12-07 at 17:23.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 16:14   Link #2050
ThinkTank

Quote:
Four random comments about episode 36:

4) Finally, I am quite amused by one small detail: it is mentioned that the jersey numbers are given according to the player's age. If you pay close attention, Aoba is clearly one of the youngest talents, with jersey 18. All the other good players have way higher numbers.

When the coach mentions who is selected at the end of the day, he goes: "Numbers 4, 15, 18, 22... <volume fading down>"

This is obviously for dramatic effect and I guess they did not really pay attention to the implication of this dialogue line, but who the hell are the two other genius First years (even younger than Aoba!) who passed along with the monsters we just saw?
I guess you don't play too many sports. Normally if things are done by age it just means youngest to oldest, and not their actual age.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 18:03   Link #2051
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, I'm totally gobsmacked.

I stayed up last night to get the subs, and watched all the way till the batting practice at the end, where I decided to stop because I had to get up early this morning...

Yeah... so I was thinking it was a decent episode (if not as quality as usual- it's still pretty good, but you can tell it doesn't have Adachi's touch).

Then I got home and decided to finish it off. And then the scene happened...

My response: What. What? What!

Stupid Kou and his comment about the net- you knew what was going to happen after that.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 20:05   Link #2052
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Stupid Kou and his comment about the net- you knew what was going to happen after that.
Normally, he uses the net when he pitches to Azuma. That's why Kou told her to use it.
Old 2009-12-07, 20:18   Link #2053
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikapon
Ouch. That unfortunately makes way too much sense. Thank you for bringing me back down to the harsh reality of this world. Follow the money, as they say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank
I guess you don't play too many sports. Normally if things are done by age it just means youngest to oldest, and not their actual age.
Sorry, what do you mean? I honestly do not understand your post.

In case I was unclear: since the jersey numbers are ordered from youngest to oldest, there are at least two players who were selected in Round 2 even though they were younger than Aoba, if only by a few weeks.

Given the very high jersey numbers of the great players we have seen, being selected as a first year (like Aoba) seems rather uncommon. Yet the (probably unintended) implication of that peculiar dialogue line is that two other 1st years were selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett
You can also understand this scene as: it's quite uncanny how he can just "smell" such things/incidents when they concern her.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 20:24   Link #2054
Nosauz

I don't think Kou's got any mystical powers, it's just that he cares enough and he does have experience fielding the screamer mishima hit so I can see why he's concered. I mean mishima is the genius, azuma is the beast, from power stand point I would say that their quite similar on strength level, maybe azuma is even stronger. It's just that kou cares a great deal about aoba, points out the first aoba was used as "fertilizer" for daimon's crew.
Old 2009-12-07, 20:28   Link #2055
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Sorry if your answer was triggered by my last comment, I did not mean to imply any psychic power. I was rather thinking about the kind of special bond you sometime witness among long time friends. My understanding is that Kô knows her so well inside and out, he somehow could feel something wrong was going to happen. It also helps that he is used to the same sitution (facing Azuma) and maybe got into trouble himself once or twice.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 20:32   Link #2056
Nosauz

Quote:
Sorry if your answer was triggered by my last comment, I did not mean to imply any psychic power. I was rather thinking about the kind of special bond you sometime witness among long time friends. My understanding is that Kô knows her so well inside and out, he somehow could feel something wrong was going to happen. It also helps that he is used to the same sitution (facing Azuma) and maybe got into trouble himself once or twice.
well when he caught the screamer from mishima, he ended up missing the same weaker ball by oikawa, because his entire body was numbed by the power of the ball. I like to think of it that Kou is super protective of the girls happiness, which is in the end he doesn't force the subject when she declines. Which is really isn't all that cool but still.

P.S I wasn't really saying that you think he has some psychic connection, I'm just saying it's obvious the amount of pent of feelings welling in these characters, even if it's only one line, or a simple action, or a wry smile.
Old 2009-12-07, 20:54   Link #2057
jpwong

Quote:
In case I was unclear: since the jersey numbers are ordered from youngest to oldest, there are at least two players who were selected in Round 2 even though they were younger than Aoba, if only by a few weeks.
I think perhaps ThinkTank was implying seniority based on experience. Someone who's only played baseball for a year would get a lower number than someone who's been playing baseball for many years even if they're older age wise.
Old 2009-12-07, 21:44   Link #2058
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
From the looks of it the next episode is back to Adachi stuff.
Finally read your comment. Thanks for answering and clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
I'm a bit worried though, the pace Adachi is drawing the manga is turtle speed. He spends a fair amount of time on games but the anime just breezes through them. I don't see Adachi speeding up, and I wouldn't wish for it either so I guess that leaves us with some more fillers.
Has the anime already caught up to the manga? Just curious, I'm just watching the anime atm.
Old 2009-12-07, 22:04   Link #2059
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitagiIsHot View Post
Has the anime already caught up to the manga? Just curious, I'm just watching the anime atm.
Nope, anime is up to the 115th chapter.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 23:57   Link #2060
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
Nope, anime is up to the 115th chapter.
Ah okay thanks.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports