AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-29, 17:06   Link #1961
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
They did?
After the second whipping when Arf comes upon the unconscious Fate, you can see a cut on Fate's arm and some blood on the floor; and then Arf initiates her rage charge against Precia. There was probably some others, but I'd have to go back and look.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:11   Link #1962
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The series I felt was a bit more moving, primarily because of the way Arf saw Fate trying to walk after, mumbling about how she needed to help her mother. It made the impact of what just happened so much more powerful.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Of course, there is my whole quibble with Precia in the movie, too. The unrealistic "I suddenly remembered Alicia wanted a sister at the end!" thing. I liked her better in the series, because she wasn't crazy, so much as driven to get Alicia back at all costs. Thus, in the series, her whipping of Fate made more sense, because Fate could only ever be a tool there. In the movie, Fate could have been a sister, which means the whipping made less sense.
Well, she only remembered at the last second, long after said whipping took place, so I wasn't overly bothered by it. I thought the amount of Precia backstory helped better show why she was as obsessed as she was. The unfulfilled promises were a nice little touch. In the series, she comes off as just being a crazy villain who wants to bring back Alicia, but the movie really helps you identify with her by showing you all of her regrets. I think her actions made much more sense with those flashbacks than the pointless violence she displays in the series.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:13   Link #1963
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Well seems the movie was trying to fix the point of why nanoha was awesome yet so inexperienced. In time she can cast those spells without RH, i guess.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:18   Link #1964
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

I liked how Raising Heart acted like Clippy for Nanoha.

Nanoha didn't know immediately how to fight, Raising Heart first had to guide her, which makes a lot more sense.

That they added the "virtual training" thing from the manga was nice too. Making Raising Heart more human was a good move.

Wisdom and tactics, bitch.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:32   Link #1965
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
Well, she only remembered at the last second, long after said whipping took place, so I wasn't overly bothered by it. I thought the amount of Precia backstory helped better show why she was as obsessed as she was. The unfulfilled promises were a nice little touch. In the series, she comes off as just being a crazy villain who wants to bring back Alicia, but the movie really helps you identify with her by showing you all of her regrets. I think her actions made much more sense with those flashbacks than the pointless violence she displays in the series.
I understand where you're coming from; I just don't believe that Precia somehow forgot all this time what Alicia wanted more than anything else. It feels like a huge gaping hole. The Precia of the series kept everything in mind, but was still determined; she knew the consequences ad yet forged ahead because she was broken by losing someone she loved.

The Precia of the movie was so batshit insane that somehow she forgot important details only to suddenly recall them at odd moments. She didn't realize the consequences of her actions, and thus it felt more like she was crazy, doing things for little reason. While seeing Precia's backstory was nice, I think we all pretty much guessed why she was acting the way she was, way back when we first watched S1. In short, it didn't really need to be shown, or at least fit into an OVA series, or flashbacks in a different movie.

In fact, I might write a script for a Nanoha movie, hmm....

One other thing: in a movie that has to cut a lot, one should really question whether something needs to be added. Having Precia get that flashback takes time away from something else that could have been shown. So, as a general principle, I'm against adding things that don't need to be added; I'd rather have more important things shown.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:36   Link #1966
Goldsmith

why can't i give this an 11/10
Old 2010-11-29, 18:05   Link #1967
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
I liked how Raising Heart acted like Clippy for Nanoha.

Nanoha didn't know immediately how to fight, Raising Heart first had to guide her, which makes a lot more sense.
But it doesn't, really. Raising Heart did more than guide her. She completely took control of the fight. There is no reason for Nanoha to become "good" if RH needs her so little.
Old 2010-11-29, 18:10   Link #1968
Kaijo
Banned

RH: "I am a vehicle without a driver."

I think it's the other way around, RH. Nanoha is the vehicle RH drives!
Old 2010-11-29, 18:12   Link #1969
aers
*Fansubber

You guys are acting like RH had complete control of Nanoha for the entire movie.

Wut?
Old 2010-11-29, 18:43   Link #1970
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aers View Post
You guys are acting like RH had complete control of Nanoha for the entire movie.

Wut?
Not necessarily the whole movie, but the first fight, yeah. And seeing how well RH was doing, I have to ask:
- what's the point of Nanoha learning anything?
- what about the other fights? How would we tell the difference if it was Nanoha doing the heavy lifting?
Old 2010-11-29, 18:46   Link #1971
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Meh, Precia's backstory was more so you can see why she went crazy, though I don't see why she deserved to be sympathized with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo
The series I felt was a bit more moving, primarily because of the way Arf saw Fate trying to walk after, mumbling about how she needed to help her mother. It made the impact of what just happened so much more powerful.
Am quite sad they removed that part. ;-;
I thought the new cake scene was nice, though....But maybe that's just my fanboy talking.
Old 2010-11-29, 19:29   Link #1972
leodamine
Divine Akuma

I thought the cake looked nice too. That floor's so clean, I'd eat that thing off of it.
Old 2010-11-29, 20:15   Link #1973
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
I'd actually recommend the movie over the series to newcomers, as we avoid all the bath-houses / giant tree monsters / unimportant family moments, and get straight to the business of befriending.

By the way, is anyone subbing the commentary? 'Cause I'd love to hear it.
Hah, yea. The first part of Nanoha is a huge bump that's hard for a lot of viewers to get over. I suppose the movie created its own with loli tits >.> but for the most part I think it would make a better impression on the uninitiated. People like crap blowing up, usually.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-11-29, 20:58   Link #1974
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not necessarily the whole movie, but the first fight, yeah. And seeing how well RH was doing, I have to ask:
- what's the point of Nanoha learning anything?
- what about the other fights? How would we tell the difference if it was Nanoha doing the heavy lifting?
Because RH herself said so. RH is no more than a vessel that allows Nanoha can use to cast magic. However everything else in combat is supposed to be Nanoha's. There is only so much that RH can do herself in duels where the enemy is a fellow mage instead of some Jewel Seed creatures.

Do notice that Nanoha in the first fight was kinda slow when it comes to spell reaction and casting. If she ever wants to become a professional level mage (as she will in the future) Nanoha will have to pick up the slack and stop relying on RH for all combat decisions.

Analogy: Starcraft 2 v 2 with a medium AI partner. Your AI partner is advanced enough that you can sit back and just let the AI demolish your enemies its own, but only for enemies of a level similar or lower to it. If your enemies are on Hard or Brutal AI, or worse are skilled humans your medium AI partner will not be able to do much unless you contribute to your share of the offensive and step up your game.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:15   Link #1975
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo
I dunno, the animation seemed about equal to what I saw in Season 1. Maybe a bit better. I assume if I were actually watching the Blue-Ray in HQ on an HDTV, it would probably be much better.
Late, but since I got the images to make the comparison, I will.

The quality I assume you were watching, which is still really good compared to S1

And the HD Bluray quality

Hard to deny how crisp the animation is in comparison to anything of S1 or any season for that matter.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:29   Link #1976
Kaijo
Banned

I honestly can't tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, the blue-ray is a tiny bit better, but to me, it's not enough to notice much difference. Everyone is different, though.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:32   Link #1977
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Really?

Well then, I guess that comparison is moot.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:43   Link #1978
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Really?

Well then, I guess that comparison is moot.
Could at least have used the same scene for comparison

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:43   Link #1979
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The movie definitely blows season 1 out of the water in terms of visuals. Season 1 looked kinda cheap. There's just a ton more details in the characters' eyes, water, smoke, light, etc. The battles come alive instead of the turn system they used in the tv series.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-11-29, 21:47   Link #1980
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Could at least have used the same scene for comparison
I only had the HQ image, and had to ask someone to grab me a LQ image.