AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

View Poll Results: Guilty Crown - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 13 19.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 30.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 24.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 13.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 9.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-27, 01:02   Link #41
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Congrats to Tsugumi for having her void extracted by Shu. (The way they said sounds dirty).

Damm, Shu. That was badass of him during that incident.
Old 2012-01-27, 01:08   Link #42
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow X View Post
8/10 just because Shu is being a badass in this episode.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Spoiler for void system:
Old 2012-01-27, 01:55   Link #43
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Shu is on the road to be a very sucessful dictator king
Old 2012-01-27, 02:28   Link #44
com_gwp

Holy crap, do my eyes deceive me? An actual reasonably thought-out and decently-written episode?

Maybe they CAN still salvage this trainwreck afterall.

Seriously thought, I was surprised by how well things played in this episode, from the mass paranoia, the social breakdown and Shu being all badass and reestablishing control. Honestly the best episode in quite awhile, which goes to show that maybe the show still has something to it asides from the trainwreck appeal (Doesn't mean they aren't still headed in that direction, and further accelerating the process thanks to hints that our dear Inori might now go batshit yandere)

Last edited by com_gwp; 2012-01-27 at 03:17.
Old 2012-01-27, 02:29   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I definitely see where Flawnalyst is coming from on this episode. The thing is that Guilty Crown is using a shipload of common anime tropes, and it's playing them very, very straight. To the point that, yes, I'm now always aware that a writer is controlling the story. It may be hard to get emotionally invested in the story because the tropes are so easy to perceive, and so clearly being played entirely straight.

I mean, was anybody the least bit surprised when Shu was declared leader of the school at the end of this episode? Was anybody surprised when the antagonist students were decisively foiled, and cast in the most negative light possible?

What's sad about this is that the antagonist students actually had a very understandable motivation, imo. Turn over some terrorists you don't even personally know and you might receive a "Get Out of Jail For Free!" card. It's not exactly unreasonable, or even particularly immoral, for a teenager in extremely desperate straights to want to take advantage of that. Guilty Crown could have played this with the nuance and moral ambiguity that it frankly deserves, but by having the antagonist students be such complete and utter jerks any potential here for compelling moral drama is utterly disintegrated.

Like I wrote last week, Guilty Crown is now fusing very common and modern anime tropes with the sensibilities of 80s Saturday Morning Cartoons. In other words, conflicts are decidedly black-and-white, plots play out pretty predictably, and antagonists are easily-overcome obstacles primarily intended to just make the protagonists look cool. Now all of this is actually fine as long as the show doesn't take itself too seriously (here is where Segai's creepy over-the-top villainy is so essential to Guilty Crown) and has a certain hammy charm to it. But when you play all of this out very seriously, it can come across as a bit hollow and artificial.

That's not to say that the show, or this episode, are bad. It still looks great, sounds great, and most of the protagonist cast (including our male lead at last) are now thankfully likable. The plot also makes sense now in that it steadily has fewer and fewer "lolwut?" moments compared to earlier in the anime. All of this means that, at worse, Guilty Crown is decent entertainment simply because it's a treat for the senses and doesn't have any element that's downright annoying.

But played-straight tropes and all-powerful character shields abound, and that makes everything kind of formulaic.

All of this may make Guilty Crown an ideal gateway anime for new anime fans (so that's good), but it can limit enjoyment for more experienced anime viewers (i.e. for anime viewers more well-versed in the most common anime tropes).

8/10 for Episode 14.
Old 2012-01-27, 02:37   Link #46
dark998

This episode was quite good with many interesting tidbits. Visual quality is back to normal as well.

-Inori and Tsugumi. I don't think those two talked before but their little chat was nice.

-The way Inori dealt with her attackers. Impressive at first but after thinking about it and watching the new preview, she only beat them up really good. No way she was going to leave dead bodies on open view. And the lie was matter of tact, she knows Shu doesn't like those displays of violence.

-The whole void gauge device and void ranking system. So those bits in the first OP were not random imagery at all, nice.

-And finally, Shu gaining the trust of the entire school and becoming new srtudent council president. With the leadership points earned all he needs now is that new coat and scarf.

About the episode 15 preview...Hare, this is the end of the line for her? Previews can be tricky but even Gai ended up dying after his apparent recovery.
Old 2012-01-27, 03:32   Link #47
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

A very interesting episode!

I made a pretty darn big grin when I saw the group, "ahem" molesting Tsugumi.

I always like to see the reactions of the masses when under stresses. Obviously, everyone turn on each other and yada yada. Never the less, it's interesting and when Shu stepped on stage you knew good things where going to happen.

That boy has become a badass and I would say Gai would be proud of him. Now we get to see Shu's rise to being a hero and raising an army of teenagers with super void powers.

I do however have a feeling like this anime is going to end pretty darn abruptly since we got like only 10 more episodes left. I hope they'll make a second season because I'm really starting to like this show. It was kind of slow and boring in the beginning, but now it's a very nice anime.

BTW, Inori is OVER 2000!
Old 2012-01-27, 03:39   Link #48
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I thought the episode was just gonna be the usual hilarity (including what looks like... Drago... Shh... and a bloody massacre that is about as heart-aching as that awesomely awesome Blood-Chaban and the usual oh-so-convenient-and-not-even-reasonable-anymore Boyd), but wow!
The very end was actually interesting! Guess there really is a first time for anything.

But I hope it goes back to its usual hilarious self next week. Laughing is good for the body, after all.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-01-27, 03:54   Link #49
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Of note is that Shu's void measurement could not be measured. Inori's measurement was over 2000; hence, I believe that the theory Shu can pull his own void is now not possible, since it does not register.
But, this is Guilty Crown we are talking about, so anything goes

So now Shu has a new 'quick draw' ability with Voids, and it seems like he instinctively knew that the Void can be thrown and it seems like his throwing ability's proficiency slots are maxed out! Either that, or the Void has a honing function.

Oh, now they have a Void Scouter! Good thing it didn't blow up when they used it on Inori.
Old 2012-01-27, 03:58   Link #50
Team Rocket Elite

Inori - Over (2000+)
Hare - 1832
Ayase - 1752
Tsugumi - 1487
Shu - xxxx

Void power levels or chance of winning the shipping war. You decide!

Tsugumi's Void seemed more useful than Ayase's to me and Tsugumi has a much lower power level. I'm looking forward to seeing what Shu's Void will be.
Old 2012-01-27, 04:34   Link #51
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
This episode was quite good with many interesting tidbits. Visual quality is back to normal as well.

-Inori and Tsugumi. I don't think those two talked before but their little chat was nice.

-The way Inori dealt with her attackers. Impressive at first but after thinking about it and watching the new preview, she only beat them up really good. No way she was going to leave dead bodies on open view. And the lie was matter of tact, she knows Shu doesn't like those displays of violence.

-The whole void gauge device and void ranking system. So those bits in the first OP were not random imagery at all, nice.

-And finally, Shu gaining the trust of the entire school and becoming new srtudent council president. With the leadership points earned all he needs now is that new coat and scarf.

About the episode 15 preview...Hare, this is the end of the line for her? Previews can be tricky but even Gai ended up dying after his apparent recovery.
Well we know for sure that sure wil be alive or survive thanks to the op.But I think some one will die in the next ep ..someone traslate something for the ep ,I post in spoiler ..just in case.
Spoiler for preview ep 15:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Inori - Over (2000+)
Hare - 1832
Ayase - 1752
Tsugumi - 1487
Shu - xxxx

Void power levels or chance of winning the shipping war. You decide!

Tsugumi's Void seemed more useful than Ayase's to me and Tsugumi has a much lower power level. I'm looking forward to seeing what Shu's Void will be.
I think that Shu can be read like the wild card from persona.(but this it's just my
speculation)
Old 2012-01-27, 06:16   Link #52
Chase

Great episode, I loved watching Shu put that kid in his place towards the end. I wonder what shu's mom is doing. Tsugumi's void is awesome. Daryl's reaction in those scenes were interesting too, a character change coming for him? Seems like the second half of this show is looking a lot better.
Spoiler for preview:
Battlefield 4
Old 2012-01-27, 06:23   Link #53
Soji

Chase@Even if I don't like this..I think this is what goin to happen.
especially if you think (like I said in my other post)that in the preview they said
Spoiler for spoiler:
so yeah ....I think she goin
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2012-01-27, 06:58   Link #54
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
Chase@Even if I don't like this..I think this is what goin to happen.
especially if you think (like I said in my other post)that in the preview they said
Spoiler for spoiler:
so yeah ....I think she goin
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for preview:
Battlefield 4
Old 2012-01-27, 07:14   Link #55
zero7090

no this is a fake shuu, gai must have cloned shuu then remote controlled him while faking his death.
Old 2012-01-27, 07:23   Link #56
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

first of all.... why should they targeted the girls??? just like I thought... using that excuse to be a rapist..... sigh...

nice one Inori.... hopefully you just beat them up because if you killed them, then Shu will be dragged into trouble

that auditorium scene is bringing RAGE!!! they are just like want to rape Ayase in front of student.... damn them!!!

luckily, Shu has high confidence right now.... He got back his GAR's character!!!! damn!! his popularity will be rocketed up!

Tsugumi's void is very awesome.... so the clones can drive car too?? it's just like a perfect copy that have their own thinking (or maybe just like a programmed clone)

Shu's mother is still in quarantined area or she's GHOST operator???

Daryl X Tsugumi flag is up too....
Inori = over 2000!!!!!! Shu = XXXX ?????
Old 2012-01-27, 07:32   Link #57
Kakkou
Tch.

Okay, the fact the next episode preview has no narration until the end where Shu says the usual line while sounding down is really foreboding. Shit's gonna hit the fan, I guess?
Old 2012-01-27, 07:37   Link #58
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Well then, where is my Void Vehicle?

I want it like so:
http://psipunk.com/wp-content/upload...torbike-02.jpg
Haha, well, there are at least 100 students with voids just waiting to be pulled out. I'm sure one of them have what you're looking for
Old 2012-01-27, 08:08   Link #59
zero7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
So the plot has turned into something similar like code geass now.
One person defying the a stronger force (which in this case is the goverment) with his own small army and that person leading this rebellion is armed with the power of the kings that can turn the fights into his favor.
Also like geass, the people (students) are also fighting for freedom.
Let me make this straight. This will never be similar to Code Geass.

Code Geass = "I will destroy the world and recreate it" - Lelouch vi Britannia. A Code Geass with no Lelouch will never be Code Geass.
Old 2012-01-27, 08:17   Link #60
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Let me make this straight. This will never be similar to Code Geass.

Code Geass = "I will destroy the world and recreate it" - Lelouch vi Britannia. A Code Geass with no Lelouch will never be Code Geass.
Your view on code geass is a little too narrow. There have been spin offs that are also called code geass without lelouche in it and the next code geass project also has no lelouche in it.
Closed Thread