AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-04-02, 09:34   Link #941
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Woody Harrelson is one of those unexplained Hollywood anomalies. He looks like a neanderthal, speaks with a slightly drunken drawl and generally appears, well, dumb. Definitely not A-list material, you'd think.

Yet he easily provided the most gravitas as a cynical veteran in Battle Royale Lite, aka The Hunger Games. There is much more to this guy than meets the eye and he's a better actor than most people give him credit for.
Right? I think you described him and his work perfectly. The guy is awesomely good.

Endless "Cheers" Soul
Old 2012-04-02, 12:39   Link #942
FaiEatsRainbows
Wonderful Wonderholic

I recently watched some Japanese movie called Noriko's Dinner Table. I thought it was pretty interesting. It had intriguing characters, and the plot didn't make sense until the end, which I like to see in movies. Has anyone else seen it?
Old 2012-04-02, 12:43   Link #943
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaiEatsRainbows View Post
I recently watched some Japanese movie called Noriko's Dinner Table. I thought it was pretty interesting. It had intriguing characters, and the plot didn't make sense until the end, which I like to see in movies. Has anyone else seen it?
It's the prequel to Suicide Club right? Man, it's a pretty sickening film and yeah, the plot doesn't make much sense but I guess for some, including me, that is better.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 13:14   Link #944
Haladflire65
*Artist

I recently saw How To Train Your Dragon again with a friend, it was just as good as I remember it being the first time I saw it. Other recent films I watched are Puss in Boots (cute and fun), Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (pretty awesome), John Carter (liked the book so much more) and Hugo (as I'm interested in film history, it was pretty nice).

I'm planning to watch Fish Tank and A Single Man soon, venturing into less familiar territory
Old 2012-04-02, 15:00   Link #945
escimo
Paparazzi

Okay... Iron Sky

Better than I expected. I expected it to be a Star Wrek with moon nazis but it was actually quite a bit more than that.

Granted it's not the next Shawshank Redemption but placing it in the genre that it belongs to with films like scary movie, naked gun, hot shots etc. it held it's own remarkably well. Despite the fact that like the forementioned films most of its appeal is in individual jokes not so much the complete package unlike the other movies alike it actually had an original premise. Plot... not so much.

Anyway the humor worked well. It was a far more original than other comparable films and the visuals were quite stunning considering the number of people working on them and the budget that they had available.

All in all. I'd much rather watch this than for example Mars Attacks...

Properly entertaining stuff even if I'm a bit reluctant to call it good per se.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 15:43   Link #946
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (pretty awesome)
I haven't seen the movie yet, but the BBC miniseries with Alec Guiness as Smiley is terrific. I recommend the novel as well, along with most anything else by John Le Carre. The movie adaptation of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold with Richard Burton in the starring role is also excellent. Burton gives a dumpy, understated performance unlike his hammier work in movies like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Cleopatra. Probably Liz just brought out that side of him.

One other spy film from the 1960's worth seeing is the young Michael Caine in Len Deighton's The Ipcress File. A quick search at Amazon shows that there are copies available for R2, but nothing for R1 viewers.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 23:30   Link #947
P99

Just recently saw Project X. Wasn't the best movie, but definitely had its moments
Old 2012-04-08, 19:09   Link #948
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I recently watched Love in the Afternoon (1957). I absolutely admire Audrey Hepburn. Her beauty, grace, and charm are unrivalled by present actresses. I also love watching her other works-Roman Holiday, My Fair Lady, Charade, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina and The Nun's story.

Old 2012-04-08, 23:00   Link #949
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Hunger Games! It got a 85% on Rottentomatoes, a really harsh reviewing website. I'm one of those people who think alot of stuff is good... but this movie set the bar high! by 100 fold best movie I've seen all year.. Titanic 3D does not count, cos its a re-air not really new. I thought Hunger Games (books/movie) was going to be uninteresting, but I was sooo proven wrong by the movie. I might start picking up the books, with a new mind set.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 23:39   Link #950
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I recently watched Love in the Afternoon (1957). I absolutely admire Audrey Hepburn. Her beauty, grace, and charm are unrivalled by present actresses. I also love watching her other works-Roman Holiday, My Fair Lady, Charade, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina and The Nun's story.
You have very good taste....
Old 2012-04-09, 16:04   Link #951
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You have very good taste....
Haha, thanks! Though sometimes I feel a bit "outdated" because I am not terribly fond of modern movies. There is something about old movies that you could never find in current mainstream movies.

Old 2012-04-09, 16:38   Link #952
escimo
Paparazzi

Lions for Lambs
I quite liked it despite the political preaching which is beginning to get quite old. Well made and good flow.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 17:13   Link #953
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I watched Pillow Talk (1959) yesterday, starring Doris Day and Rock Hudson. I had watched them together in other films before, and I really do think they had excellent chemistry with one another. Their silly banter and subtle flirtations are highly entertaining.

Old 2012-04-11, 17:57   Link #954
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Little did we know at that time that Rock, an icon of manliness, actually preferred the company of other men. I gained new appreciation for his acting talents after learning that. He does a good job of convincing us that he has the hots for Doris in their films.

For witty banter, I recommend It Happened One Night, the 1934 Frank Capra film with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. In today's world where full frontal nudity isn't that unusual, it may be difficult to understand how shocking it was to audiences of the time when Claudette hitched up her skirt while trying to hitch a ride. You can see this famous sequence by clicking on the "Trailer" button on the IMDB page linked above.

The Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn collaborations in The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby should also be on your list. as should nearly anything directed by Billy Wilder, in particular Some Like it Hot.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:03   Link #955
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Little did we know at that time that Rock, an icon of manliness, actually preferred the company of other men. I gained new appreciation for his acting talents after learning that. He does a good job of convincing us that he has the hots for Doris in their films.

For witty banter, I recommend It Happened One Night, the 1934 Frank Capra film with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. In today's world where full frontal nudity isn't that unusual, it may be difficult to understand how shocking it was to audiences of the time when Claudette hitched up her skirt while trying to hitch a ride. You can see this famous sequence by clicking on the "Trailer" button on the IMDB page linked above.
I was pretty shocked when I first heard it. The fact that he could conceal so well just proves his acting prowess.

I watched "It Happened One Night", and I agreed that the movie has tons of witty banter, and oh, who could ever forget the infamous hitchhiking scene. That leg!

I already watched The Philadelphia Story, so maybe I will give Bringing up Baby a try. The Bachelor and The Bobby Soxer is also one of my favourite "witty" films. (Me a huge fan of Cary Grant)

Old 2012-04-11, 22:23   Link #956
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
so maybe I will give Bringing up Baby a try.
I have to say that Bringing Up Baby is one of my all time favorite comedies, Certainly in my top ten list. If you liked the witty banter and chemistry between Day and Hudson, I think you'll like Hepburn and Grant. I highly recommend it.

Endless "Befuddled paleontologist" Soul
Old 2012-04-11, 23:05   Link #957
Xagzan

Oh god, Bringing Up Baby, I haven't watched that since I was a child. I loved that little leopard too.

Anyway, just caught half of The Warrior with Irrfan Khan, and now I hope to catch the beginning sometime soon. Even with just the parts I saw, it felt like something special.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 10:30   Link #958
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I absolutely admire Audrey Hepburn. Her beauty, grace, and charm are unrivalled by present actresses.
I just want to make sure you've watched REC. The female lead is a big Hepburn fan, and the episode titles all come from her movies. There are usually a couple of references to her films in each episode as well.

The opening episode of Dennou Coil has a sequence where the characters are trying to find a cat named "Hepburn," though I don't recall the reference being continued much further than that.

Both of these series are well worth watching if you haven't seen them before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Oh god, Bringing Up Baby, I haven't watched that since I was a child. I loved that little leopard too.
Then there was the other leopard ....
Old 2012-04-12, 10:34   Link #959
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just want to make sure you've watched REC. The female lead is a big Hepburn fan, and the episode titles all come from her movies. There are usually a couple of references to her films in each episode as well.

The opening episode of Dennou Coil has a sequence where the characters are trying to find a cat named "Hepburn," though I don't recall the reference being continued much further than that.

Both of these series are well worth watching if you haven't seen them before.

Then there was the other leopard ....
Ah....REC. It's been quite a long time since I watched that anime. Pretty underrated IMO.

My favourite Hepburn film to date is The African Queen. She and Bogart matched each other well.

Old 2012-04-12, 10:58   Link #960
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Ah....REC. It's been quite a long time since I watched that anime. Pretty underrated IMO.

My favourite Hepburn film to date is The African Queen. She and Bogart matched each other well.
REC has references to Audrey's films, not Katherine's.

Just last night I heard an interview on the BBC with Bogart's son, Stephen, whose mother was Lauren Bacall. Apparently some entrepreneurs purchased the Queen, refitted it, and are now offering tours in the Florida Keys. I believe the ship will be based, appropriately enough, in Key Largo. That's a decent film, but not my favorite of the Bogart/Bacall collaborations from those late-40's Warner Brothers days. That honor is reserved for To Have and Have Not. The 19-year-old Bacall just exudes sexuality throughout that film. It's not hard to see why the two of them ended up together, even though Bogey was twice her age.

One of the two BBC commentators mentioned he had never seen The African Queen, and his partner was shocked!

Tags
live-action, movie, movies