AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-02-02, 10:11   Link #21
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Though since it seems Madoka got a bit of a cold reception on the blogosphere I doubt it'll get a french licence anytime soon.
If true that's a dam shame.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 11:41   Link #22
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Oh yeah,that's the first review,I thought you were talking about the second one.

First review was based on the first episode,even said so in my post.
Can you try to take a shot of translating that questionable portion (the scan)?

(Speaking of Animeland, I have a rough-quality scan of their older review of Maria-sama ga Miteru, and I think they spoke favorably of that show, not just because Marimite uses some French words.)

OBTW, ANN went about reviewing BD Volume 1:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/revi...-madoka-magica
Old 2012-02-02, 12:01   Link #23
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The scan goes like this in English:

Spoiler for partial scan of Animeland review translated:
Unless someone correct me, that's pretty much the translation of the scan, and yes: it doesn't look exactly structured or pertinent, and even in French, that part is onoxious to "compute" (the writing style in French is always annoying as throwing several points one after another as successive sentences is considered fine for some reason, even when the connection between the sentences are next to null.

The article itself hardly sounds anything pertinent anyway and the way how the author "justified" himself on their forums is enough to have an idea that he doesn't know jack of what he is talking about.

That said, I don't think french blogosphère was really unaffected by Madoka, considering a good deal did enjoyed it.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-02-02 at 12:19.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 12:22   Link #24
sa547
*Author

Thanks for the translation. It behooves me that the AL writer-critic tries to bring up and unfairly compare Madoka with an older show that's obscure to all but known only to older fans (above 40) or the self-proclaimed hardcore (I've seen too many of those snooty types down at MAL, especially those with insanely huge "I have watched this-and-that" lists that proclaim the size of their e-peen).
Old 2012-02-02, 13:04   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Part of the reason why Madoka Magica sometimes gets compared to much older magical girl shows is that people don't always have a good handle on what precisely it is that makes Madoka Magica distinct and original.

A lot of people go "Oh wow, a magical girl show with a darker tone!" when it comes to Madoka Magica. Well, honestly, such a comment really does do a bit of a disservice to the magical girl genre. There have been magical girl anime shows of a generally dark tone prior to Madoka Magica. Heck, even the final season of Sailor Moon was plenty dark.

What makes Madoka Magica distinct/original isn't simply that it has a darker atmosphere or tone, it's how it achieves that tone.

It's not that it's hard or lonely to be a Puella Magi (it generally is, but that's not the main thing). It's not that lives are lost in battling mysterious enemies. Other magical girl shows have had similar elements. It's that:

1) The magical girl system itself is the problem. It's a horrific ponzi scheme of sorts that's self-sustaining and causes the very same problems (witches, familiars) that magical girls are recruited to combat.

2) The magical girl familiar isn't a being with the magical girl's best interests at heart. He's an exploitative pied piper of sorts who knowingly leads girls down a pathway of doom and self-destruction. While some magical girl familiars can be harsh taskmasters, none (before Kyubey) were akin to loan sharks that use your very life as collateral.

I haven't seen all magical girl shows, but from what I have seen, these two elements really are original to Madoka Magica.
Old 2012-02-02, 17:45   Link #26
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That said, I don't think french blogosphère was really unaffected by Madoka, considering a good deal did enjoyed it.
Well maybe I just looked in the wrong places. I definatly hope so.

Quote:
The article itself hardly sounds anything pertinent anyway and the way how the author "justified" himself on their forums is enough to have an idea that he doesn't know jack of what he is talking about.
And that's a mystery to me, Steve Naumann's been working there for years,since the 90s even I think.
Maybe he's just a hipster,could be why he finds Fractale to be Yakaman's underated masterpiece.

---------

Completely unrelated , here's the review at THEM anime reviews

I've always been intrigued by this quote:

Quote:
s it a classic? No. Are people going to shamelessly copy it over the next several years and completely miss the point? Oh, absolutely.
Doesn't people shamelessly copying it over the next several years make it a classic?
Old 2012-02-02, 18:58   Link #27
zato_1one

Hmm, I don't know who Zac is. But I'm surprised that such thread was created. Does review from someone really matter that much? By the way, I'm LOL at that French review. I'm pretty sure he/she didn't actually watch it but just reading some random opinion from bloggers/posters. If changing rule of the universe is nothing then I don't know anymore which is important.
Old 2012-02-03, 10:16   Link #28
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
The one at ANN was "nothing happened at the past 7-8 episodes" (I mean a poster)
Old 2012-02-03, 21:56   Link #29
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
The French one almost sounds like he was watching a show without subs and thus completely missed the Magical Girls == witch formula and thought it was just a darker version of typical Magical Girl shows, hence the comparison to older shows.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 04:58   Link #30
totoum
Me at work

Madoka Magica just won 3 Tokyo anime Fair awards: Best TV show,Best director,Best screenplay

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...me-fair-awards
Old 2012-02-16, 15:13   Link #31
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

A little noteworthy... Madoka is being streamed on Crunchyroll, Crackle AND Hulu. Plenty of exposure here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
OBTW, ANN went about reviewing BD Volume 1:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/revi...-madoka-magica
It's a surprisingly good review considering it's from ANN. So many times they look for the bad. I've read some horrid reviews on there.... if the reviewer didn't like the first two volumes you can be sure they'll bash it past ten.
Old 2012-03-09, 23:20   Link #32
Shinji01

I came across a fan created Magica x Evangelion story.
i think that alone proves that Magica has been accepted by the Eva fans, which are pretty hard to convince.
Had a good laugh reading it too... Gendo was QB.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 22:42   Link #33
sa547
*Author

http://www.japanator.com/japanator-r...ca-22421.phtml
To the commenter there: haven't seen AnoHana yet, but it ain't right making comparisons as far as life lessons are concerned... and when did the last time a show actually left a mark on a viewer's psyche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
I came across a fan created Magica x Evangelion story.
i think that alone proves that Magica has been accepted by the Eva fans, which are pretty hard to convince.
Had a good laugh reading it too... Gendo was QB.
I'm working on a crossover (but still on-hold due to IRL issues): Angels and Witches.
Old 2012-03-13, 05:26   Link #34
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Quote:
but they’ve limited the possible exposure of the show by pricing the discs so high. If they want the greatest possible exposure for their titles, then they need to re-think their pricing schemes.
Or they could just make it available on streaming services like crunchyroll like they have...
Old 2012-03-13, 11:00   Link #35
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Good link and good review. They should have mentioned that even though the MSRP is high, you won't pay that price. I do agree it is a lot, but I like the LE and as long as they do a complete collection with no extras at a lower price in the future, it's fine.

Quote:
Or they could just make it available on streaming services like crunchyroll like they have...
What do you mean? Madoka is on Hulu, Crackle and other streaming sites.
Old 2012-03-13, 12:21   Link #36
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
What do you mean? Madoka is on Hulu, Crackle and other streaming sites.
Didn't make myself clear,what I meant is that while the prices are high it's not limiting to the exposure of the show since Madoka is available on streaming sites
Old 2012-09-02, 19:22   Link #37
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

JesuOtaku has a pretty well-crafted video review up here. It does a decent job of reviewing without overt spoilers.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 20:56   Link #38
Diveman

This is also something i've been wondering. What's Animesuki's community opinion on Kazumi Magica? I see very few people actually posting in that thread so I was wondering if it was because some of you don't like that series.
Diveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 04:05   Link #39
Jimmy C

Until I get to read new chapters in English, I have nothing to say on Kazumi. I might not be alone.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 06:51   Link #40
KoiYuki

I didn't care for Kazumi at first, but I ended up liking it more as it went on.. I just can't say much about it, though I do read the thread.
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote