AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-14, 01:30   Link #261
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
I quite like that samurai stand-off thing myself.
Me too. Although it's used an awful lot, I do think it's an effective tool that can provide some real tension. Of course, a lot of times you know ahead of time who's going to emerge victorious, but even then, it's pretty damn cool.

In Westerns and anime alike.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:40   Link #262
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
*trips over nothing a lot*

Depending on the type of shoes you are wearing, I assure you, it's entirely possible. Whether it's the texture of the floor/ground or the shoes are too big or have awkward soles....seriously, it could be just about anything.
Unfortunately I know people like this.

But sometimes it's just too much!

Quote:
「絶対許さない!」
"ZETTAI YURUSANAI!"
I find that amusing...because it's like "hey...um the villain doesn't really care, you know?"
But I think they put it in to show how pissed the character saying it is. Basically stating, "I am going to kick your ass now and show no mercy".
(why not just say that, then? XD)
I'm not bothered by the line as much as when the character says it over again. Characters who chant things angrily get old very quickly. "OK. You hate them. I get it. Shut up."
Old 2013-01-14, 03:11   Link #263
Bulba.Saur
The Ends of the Earth

What is it?: Shy harem leads.

Worst Offenders: Tsukune Aono from Rosario Vampire...I liked the anime because of the interesting setting...but cmon that many women throwing themselves at you!?.

Notable Exceptions: Makoto Ito from School Days! He jumps at every chance he gets ;D

What makes it popular: I guess it's just an excuse to keep showing ecchi scenes and teasing the audience into watching more and more...ugg it works.

Reasons that I hate it: It's too unrealistic to me...in the sense that the characters like women but when faced with many beautiful situations they spaz out.
Bulba.Saur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 03:22   Link #264
uushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
What is it? Girls beating up guys.

Worst Offenders: Almost every show out there...it will be easier to just list the exceptions below. If I have to say the freshest example in my mind, it is the Index/Railgun franchise...

Notable Exceptions: Kaze no Stigma - somehow the male lead is able to dodge everything the girl throws at him. Maybe because Kazuma is so AWESOME. There are probably other examples, but right now I can't think of any...

What makes it popular: I keep asking myself that. For girls, maybe they like seeing it because it feels more empowering. Funny thing is...it's popular among guys as well. Maybe they feel envious about the guy in question being a "chick magnet" and like to see him getting beat up.

Reasons I hate it: Well...it's unrealistic and it's demeaning to men. It makes them look weak and disposable.

Is the hate really worth it? Probably not, since it's mostly used as a comedic gag but I can't help it. If you can tell me how not to be bothered by it...please let me know.
Well- you can't really say it's unrealistic as, if you haven't noticed, girls in real life tend to bully or playful punch, kick or slap boys just for the heck of it. Sometimes, you can assume it's just out of impulse as a simple release of emotions or some thing related to that. However, I noticed the whole 'girl abusing boy' concept as well, but regarding a way to brush it off, if you're aware of it being a comedic gag, just embrace it and put up with it because it's a common reoccuring cliche that creators enjoy inputting as it can be considered "cute" in a way. Plus, sometimes the female role abusing the male role can lead to character development; for example, ((though this is kind of weak)) in Shuffle! you notice the two main characters' bond grow through Asa Shigure's playful hits targeted at Rin Tsuchimi.
uushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 07:53   Link #265
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

As I started to watch more romantic comedies in years, I somehow grow recently tired of generic harem leads with not enough intelligence. I could understand the many problems behind the Japanese society, but since the anime industry was always trapped in a calamity crisis, they always struggled to make anything non-clichéd. I've been recently watching some new harems with semi-original premises, and the protagonists are decent and are okay to face some struggles.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 09:49   Link #266
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulba.Saur View Post
What is it?: Shy harem leads.

Worst Offenders: Tsukune Aono from Rosario Vampire...I liked the anime because of the interesting setting...but cmon that many women throwing themselves at you!?[...]
The anime is BS! However i recomend you to read the Rosario Vampire manga instead, because it actually got a story! Also Tsukune has much more character developement there... and it is still ongoing.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:03   Link #267
xland44
Otaku

What is it? Whenever a character is about to answer another characters question but first tells them not to laugh, they always laugh. AKA, from SAO:
Character 1:"Why did you help me?"
Character 2 (Kirito):"You promise you won't laugh?"
Character 1:"Yes, I promise."
Character 2:"You look like my sister."
Character 1:*Giggles*
Character 2: "You promised you wouldn't laugh...."
Anyways, yeah. It happens in a lot of anime.

What makes it popular: Well, Idk really, probably the idea got innovated.

Reasons I hate it: It gets annoying seeing similar-as-hell machines in completely different anime.

Is the hate really worth it?
xland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 13:41   Link #268
Eragon
Still Alive

This is probably a bit restricted and I'm not really sure but,

Somebody ALWAYS gets in the way of someone's(protagonist, side character...) revenge. Maybe I'm not so forgiving when concerning characters. The only revenge that I saw fulfilled was in..........No, I better not. It will spoil the entire show. But yeah, I only seen one where the main character actually gets his revenge - even though people still come in between >_>

* I'm way too forgiving in reality though I don't know, anime just brings out something bad, I guess, in me...

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-01-15 at 01:20.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 15:17   Link #269
Xion Valkyrie

What is it?: Main character crashing into a girl or catching a falling girl and then end up in a really ecchi situation like grabbing her boobs or having his face in her crotch.

Worst offenders: Every ecchi manga/anime ever

Notable exceptions: Monogatari series, where it elevates these situations into art

Variants: Getting stuck inside tight space (locker/closet) and grinding against girl.

What makes it popular: Fanservice, easy plot device for main character to feel up a girl without being branded a creeper, forces plot advancement, humor.

Reason that I hated it: Way too stock, and not particularly realistic either. Generally when you fall you try to balance yourself on the ground, not on a girl's breasts (go for lowest point of contact, not highest). Also, some of the face crotch positions are pretty much impossible from the way they fall/crash. Also, putting that much pressure on a girl's boobs would be really painful for them.

Does the hate really worth it?: Yes, generally the rom-com/harems with better writing/humor tend to avoid this or play off it in some interesting way.

Last edited by Xion Valkyrie; 2013-01-15 at 03:44.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 00:57   Link #270
Bulba.Saur
The Ends of the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
The anime is BS! However i recomend you to read the Rosario Vampire manga instead, because it actually got a story! Also Tsukune has much more character developement there... and it is still ongoing.
Ohh can you tell me a bit more? Any other differences? I didn't like the ending of Season 2 very much...felt like it just slumped off

I'll see if I can get some for a decent price
Bulba.Saur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 01:01   Link #271
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

What is it?: Mecha anime, particularly super robots

Worst Offenders: Any super robot anime, Any anime where mecha are the be all and end all of future warfare- tanks, aircraft, warships etc either don't exist or are useless.

Notable Exceptions:

Gundam 8th MS Team: Actually shows what would happen if you tried to send a mech into battle in real life in one scene- a Gundam is crippled when it takes a tank shell to the knee. Also helps that they are piloted by professional soldiers and not some kid.

Full Metal Panic: At least until the Lambda Driver plothaxed everything...

What makes it popular: I guess the whole escapism element, tanks and planes just seem too "real life", maybe? Really I don't know.

Reasons that I hate it: Well for one, its so overused and no one seems to realize that the human body is actually a horrible design for a weapons platform. Giant mechanical legs would move a lot more slowly than wheels or even tracks, and it has an obvious weak point- the legs- one RPG to the knee joint and it would be crippled. Also, why do paint them in such stupidly obvious colors- a giant red mecha is an easy target. And while were on the subject, no amount of jets could get one of those things off the ground for any amount of time- they're about as aerodynamic as a brick!

Also, why do mecha weapons have magazines and trigger mechanism like a regular assault rifles- wouldn't belt feed and electrical firing mechanisms be more effective. I know your going to say- "It's so they can change weapons". Jet fighters and helicopters manage to change weapons without giant mechanical hands- just have bolt-on gunpods or something. And don't get me started on the beam sabres.

Also, mecha have been present as part of anime for decades now, can't we come up with an original (and preferably less silly) vehicle design.

As for mecha, the only plausible design that could have some use in real life is really more powered armor or an exoskeleton than a mecha- a mechanical suit of armor to increase the strength etc of the user, no more than twice the height of a human.

Is the hate really worth it?: Not really, things just cross the line between cool and stupid a lot faster for me than most people.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 01:10   Link #272
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
What is it?: Young Girls doing what adults should be doing. e.g. Engaging in serious wars and action.

Worst Offenders: Many mahou genres.

Notable Exceptions: None

What makes it popular: Moe and fanservices.

Reasons that I hate it:

Man or rather adults must do everything even if it kills them. Allowing the used of million dollars of technology to make batons, wands and pink skirts strong enough to withstand an atom bomb. LOLs. Girls ain't a tools for war.Girls are supposed to be protected.

Is the hate really worth it?: No, since. I can't do anything about it. The fandom is too strong

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-20 at 06:07.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 01:20   Link #273
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post

Notable Exceptions: None.
Library Wars, and there was a K-On/Haruhi artstyle anime that used the same characters as K-On and the girls were operating on a military base. Never did finish that one...
Old 2013-01-15, 01:24   Link #274
Fuyuno
Banned

Every cliche of smutty shoujo mangas like stupid, self-loathing heroine and tsundere jerk "hero".
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 06:34   Link #275
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
Every cliche of smutty shoujo mangas like stupid, self-loathing heroine and tsundere jerk "hero".
And on the other end:
Every cliche of harem shounen manga/anime like wimpy, dense, weak-willed hero and abusive violent tsundere "heroines".

So manga/anime authors view the readers (boys for shounen manga/anime and girls for shoujo manga/anime) as submissive, masochistic and weak willed. And don't come to me saying again "Yes but Japanese have an inferiority mindset". It does not change the fact that it makes both manga and anime like this repetitive and boring
Old 2013-01-15, 06:58   Link #276
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
What is it?: Mecha anime, particularly super robots

Worst Offenders: Any super robot anime, Any anime where mecha are the be all and end all of future warfare- tanks, aircraft, warships etc either don't exist or are useless.

Notable Exceptions:

Gundam 8th MS Team: Actually shows what would happen if you tried to send a mech into battle in real life in one scene- a Gundam is crippled when it takes a tank shell to the knee. Also helps that they are piloted by professional soldiers and not some kid.

Full Metal Panic: At least until the Lambda Driver plothaxed everything...

What makes it popular: I guess the whole escapism element, tanks and planes just seem too "real life", maybe? Really I don't know.

Reasons that I hate it: Well for one, its so overused and no one seems to realize that the human body is actually a horrible design for a weapons platform. Giant mechanical legs would move a lot more slowly than wheels or even tracks, and it has an obvious weak point- the legs- one RPG to the knee joint and it would be crippled. Also, why do paint them in such stupidly obvious colors- a giant red mecha is an easy target. And while were on the subject, no amount of jets could get one of those things off the ground for any amount of time- they're about as aerodynamic as a brick!

Also, why do mecha weapons have magazines and trigger mechanism like a regular assault rifles- wouldn't belt feed and electrical firing mechanisms be more effective. I know your going to say- "It's so they can change weapons". Jet fighters and helicopters manage to change weapons without giant mechanical hands- just have bolt-on gunpods or something. And don't get me started on the beam sabres.

Also, mecha have been present as part of anime for decades now, can't we come up with an original (and preferably less silly) vehicle design.

As for mecha, the only plausible design that could have some use in real life is really more powered armor or an exoskeleton than a mecha- a mechanical suit of armor to increase the strength etc of the user, no more than twice the height of a human.

Is the hate really worth it?: Not really, things just cross the line between cool and stupid a lot faster for me than most people.
That's less of a cliche and more of an entire genre, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Library Wars, and there was a K-On/Haruhi artstyle anime that used the same characters as K-On and the girls were operating on a military base. Never did finish that one...
Are you referring to Sora No Woto/Sound of the Sky?
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 10:04   Link #277
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
What is it?: Young Girls doing what adults should be doing. e.g. Engaging in serious wars and action.

Worst Offenders: Many mahou genres.

Notable Exceptions: None

What makes it popular: Moe and fanservices.

Reasons that I hate it:

Man or rather adults must do everything even if it kills them. Allowing the used of million dollars of technology to make batons, wands and pink skirts strong enough to withstand an atom bomb. LOLs. Girls ain't a tools for war.Girls are supposed to be protected.

Is the hate really worth it?: No, since. I can't do anything about it. The fandom is too strong.

Hmm, straight up use of this cliche does annoy me greatly, but there are some occasions where it can be used to good effect, for instance, Homura in the case of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, in which case the authorities don't know about any of the stuff that is going on- If they did, I'm sure they would try and put a stop to it.

Also, in some cases where teenagers are part of a resistance movement or something I can believe, particularly if there are also adult members- women and even children were involved in resistance movements in World War II, for instance.

On a related note, I liked how in the latest, (as of yet untranslated) episode of the web-anime Busou Chuugakusei: Basket Army, one of the girls, Nanami Karino, has a truly believable reaction to suddenly ending up in combat with a group of hostile mercenaries- she cowers, kneeling on the floor, breaking down and crying (@ 3:16 in the video). I suspect poor shell-shocked Nanami-chan would be a realistic depiction of how many people would react to that situation... It will be interesting to see if they follow her after the events of the anime showing her trying to cope with living with PTSD (unfortunately, they probably won't).
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 13:55   Link #278
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
As a tsundere-lover, I must object here.

Jerk "heroes" in smutty shoujo manga do not deserve the fine title of "tsundere".

They're just assholes who might show kindness once in a blue moon. Which a male tsundere is not.

Kyouta from Kyou Koi Wo Hajimemasu is an asshole. He's perverted, abusive, manipulative, etc and he doesn't treat Tsubaki with an ounce of respect.
Biggest offense: Trying to rape Tsubaki on the first date.

Hiroto-kun from Kirarin Revolution is a tsundere. He doesn't have great manners, good social grace, or tact so he and Kirari fight a lot. But he deeply loves her and always saves her when she gets into trouble.
Biggest offense: Calling Kirari an idiot when she does stupid things.

...........you see the difference, right?

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-01-15 at 14:06.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 17:41   Link #279
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

Cliche I hate? Always wondered why boys can't act normal around girls in harem anime, always stuttering and acting nervous it's annoying. same with girls too, there's always that one shy girl who stutters and acts clumsily. It's supposed to be comedic when either gender does it but I just don't find it funny. Don't think I ever cracked a smile when I first saw it to be honest.
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 18:50   Link #280
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
What is it?: Mecha anime, particularly super robots.
Gundam is notable for creating what we mecha fans know as the "Real Robot" genre. The majority of Gundams don't feature a super overpowered aspect to them, unless you want to count newtypes as one. If you do count them though, then there's no mecha anime I can think of that would appeal to you.

I recently re-encountered the "there's a plot device for that" cliche. I classify it as a cliche because a lot of writers seem to have no problem going: "Well, the character needs to overcome this minor obstacle but he can't spend a large amount of time studying/working towards that goal. I'll just make a minor plot device to allow him to do it!" There are better ways to solve extremely simple but time consuming problems without just writing in a random plot device for that. Be creative, don't be lazy.

This came about because of this gem of a scene: "If you concentrate hard enough, my powers will allow the information to flow into your mind." "Eh, really? ... It's not working." "I lied."

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad