AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-07-10, 01:56   Link #21
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

At some point everything will derive from everything anyway. Creativity will then stem from how you mix and match those derivations.

Also the Mortal Engines movie sucks balls. Even my friend who read the book agrees. I'm not particularly a fan of the explosion of YA fiction in the last 20 or so years.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-10, 02:15   Link #22
Tenzen12

Book are pretty good though.

Anyway it felt pretty inovative to me, mainly due using enemy blood(?) as fuel in real time. It indeed take cues from lot of things, as I can judge it's not blatant ripp-off and derivatives might often surpass original.
Old 2020-07-10, 02:21   Link #23
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
"What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 1:9

I don't really care if something is derivative as long as it's entertainment. I personally found this episode entertaining.
Old 2020-07-10, 16:21   Link #24
Applehell

Enjoyed the first episode & Natsume is pretty damn magnetic protagonist. Yeah the settting is stuffed with every kind of trope you can come to expect with it, but sometimes how its all executed is what matters. Originality doesn't inherently mean something will be good even if might get you more interested in it.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-10, 21:32   Link #25
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I liked the first episode even though some elements have been done before. The boss has moves! Can't wait to hear him explain away knowing how to fight like that.

I'm going for a degree in the brainwashing of the population. That emblem was seen on the planet's surface. Maybe their history is a lie and they are the conquered remnants of civilizations forced to work to rid that planet of its kaiju problem by robotic overlords. That could be why only 2 working classes exist (fighters and maintenance), the disparity with living conditions and technology, and the non-homogeneity of the population.

The population has chips implanted for some reason and Kaburagi is tasked with retrieving defective chips. It looks like people expire when the chip fails.
Old 2020-07-11, 01:14   Link #26
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Ahh, one of those "Let's blow all the budget for the action scenes on the first episode" type of series

Can't comment on the mortal engines and arte comparison since I didn't watch those, all I can say is that it reminds me of Regios but more bubbly and colorful, there's even that VR part that hasn't been explained yet.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 07:32   Link #27
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Chrome Shelled Regios without superpowers. But what they use instead is lacking in coolness. Really lacking. Even the most basic giant robots would have been better.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 07:47   Link #28
Tenzen12

No it would not. This is much better then giant robots.
Old 2020-07-11, 22:30   Link #29
Alchemist007
*Author

Feels like Macross x SNK minus the singing. Will be keeping up with this.
Old 2020-07-11, 23:18   Link #30
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
No it would not. This is much better then giant robots.
A well-designed giant robot would've been better than "discount-3D Maneuver Gear from AoT that doesn't look as good".

Here's hoping that the story and the fortress-on-monster action can hold this together. I still have high hopes for this show.
Old 2020-07-11, 23:50   Link #31
Tenzen12

I don't particularly like AoT but 3D Maneuver Gear is cooler then mechas and flying blood sucking diesel-punk 3D Maneuver Gear is obviously also cooler then regular ones. Being somewhat clunky, rustyand unwieldy comes with territory.

Anyway adding mechas would make it more generic and while being generic is not inherently bad thing, it wouldn't work here.
Old 2020-07-11, 23:59   Link #32
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I don't particularly like AoT but 3D Maneuver Gear is better then mechas and flying blood sucking diesel-punk 3D Maneuver Gear is obviously better then regular one.
Watching & following people maneuvering while swinging is 3x better on screen & more thrilling than watching people just plain old flying or floating. Ask Spiderman, compared to Superman.

And well-executed Mecha would've worked better for reasons I said in my previous post.
Old 2020-07-12, 00:11   Link #33
Tenzen12

Nah we'll executed Mecha is not better then we'll executed diesel/kaiju blood -punk, but there is certainly abundance of former.

Also Superman is boring in general and you knew this argument could never work if you used Ironman or Thor.
Old 2020-07-12, 01:01   Link #34
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Nah we'll executed Mecha is not better then we'll executed diesel/kaiju blood -punk, but there is certainly abundance of former.
Who said anything about removing kaiju-blood-diesel-punk? I only suggest to replace the wannabe-3DMG equipments used by the monster-slayers with good mechas.

Quote:
Also Superman is boring in general and you knew this argument could never work if you used Ironman or Thor.
Spiderman's swinging sequence is still better than ordinary flying sequence done by any superheroes. I used Superman coz he's world-famous for his flying ability among others.
Old 2020-07-12, 01:40   Link #35
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Good flying could have pulled it up into the passable realm, but they look about as dynamic as hot air balloons.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 11:33   Link #36
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Good flying could have pulled it up into the passable realm, but they look about as dynamic as hot air balloons.
Maybe they used their budget on the Kaburagi scene. Plus, one of those workers survived the fall from the tower so something is up with him also.

Last edited by orion; 2020-07-12 at 11:49.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 11:08   Link #37
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Sooooo wow. Any other anime would have stretched out that reveal over a number of episodes. Nope, not with Deca-Dence.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 13:04   Link #38
Tenzen12

To be honest, not fan of reveal. Stakes should always scale up. Whole this double(?) Matrix schtick should have been shown in first episode rather making it look more serious then it actually is and then just backtrack and start built up stakes anew.

Girl will probably have to risk her actual life to survive whatever that means in context of show so it might still end pretty interesting.
Old 2020-07-15, 13:11   Link #39
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
I don't particularly like AoT but 3D Maneuver Gear is cooler then mechas and flying blood sucking diesel-punk 3D Maneuver Gear is obviously also cooler then regular ones. Being somewhat clunky, rustyand unwieldy comes with territory.

Anyway adding mechas would make it more generic and while being generic is not inherently bad thing, it wouldn't work here.
3d maneuver gear is the most overrated and nonsensical piece of equipment ever to exist, once you put a seconds thought into how it works it falls apart as badly as SAOs nerve gear or whatever the hell that's called.

I sincerely don't see how that is any better than what this show is doing, while not original in the least, at least here you have the excuse that there seems to be some sort of gravity manipulation going on unlike in AoT where they disregard every single law of physics while claiming that they are using the laws of physics.
Old 2020-07-15, 14:32   Link #40
Irenesharda

Well, they got me.

That's usually not something a show can do, so kudos to you Deca-dence. I totally did not see this twist coming.

No wonder the first episode was super generic. It was all set up for this twist!

So, we got some weird chibi mechanical alien race that's using Earth as its playground, as sort of real life video game. And all the humans are being controlled and don't realize that they've become real life NPCs, while the people they think are "Gears" and the warriors of the race, are actually these aliens in disguise hiding as human avatars. No wonder the Boss guy told the girl it's useless. It's all a game. The world she lives in is a big fat lie. I wonder if her "Dad" was human or a Gear who rebooted?

And it looks like the alien people are also being controlled by their own creators, so we've got a lot of interesting levels going on here.

Also, I swear that creature with the administrator was making "Pika, Pika!" Pikachu noises!

Well Deca-dence, you barely had my curiosity before, but now you have my attention.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote