AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2013-06-07, 14:25   Link #11321
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Oh please, killing off a minor character like Ultear in a redemption style sacrifice does NOT take guts on Mashima's part.

Killing off Kakashi, Shizune and many other characters in Naruto took guts from Kishimoto.........until he made Nagato do a REDEMPTION SACRIFICE to bring everyone else, that was just a cop out.

You know what took guts!? Killing off Ace in Luffy's arms after the whole point of the arc was to save him, that took MAJOR guts from Oda.

Ultear is a minor character now, a former antagonist that went trough redemption and is now more fanservice than anything else and this chapter was fully focused on setting her up for a redemption sacrifice. Killing her off in exchange for saving Gray is the same as when Simon died...sure it affected characters and minor plots later on but to the readers.....there was no real effect.
If Mashima really does intend on surprising us (me) then he'll keep Gray dead...but that is highly unlikely.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 14:57   Link #11322
BlueCosmos

I too thought, hey Juvia can turn to water. If you look at it like this, Dragons are super powerful, small dragon minion things are giving all the wizards trouble right now, so there also very strong. My guess is Juvia's body can take hits from magic at her level or a little higher but not dragon level. My point is, a greater magic will always over power a lesser magic. she could have been injured or died.
BlueCosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 15:08   Link #11323
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

WOW! You drew Gray being killed off so beautifully. Watch out Fairy Tail fans! Hiro gonna kill your favorite characters and bring them back cheaply with the possible time travel, but still... Gray ending is so sad to Juvia...

Ultear does not need to die to save Gray, there can be possible time travel AND Ultear can take the path of killing Rogue now, seeing how her resolve will strengthen after seeing Gray (like a brother) dead.

Who's guessing Wendy is next? What chaos would stir when shes dead?

Last edited by vansonbee; 2013-06-07 at 15:26.
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 15:28   Link #11324
thedonkiluminati

Major character deaths are always awesome. Too bad i don't think for one second Gray will remain dead. Hell for all I know that was some Dragon illusion power.
Old 2013-06-07, 16:13   Link #11325
Ushio the Omega

Funniest chapter in ages!

News flash Mashima suspence only works if there is any chance of you following through and since this is Fairy Tail there isn't any.
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 16:19   Link #11326
Bern-san

As much as I love Gray I would want him to remain dead instead of making Ultear sacrifice or some kind of device to revive him. And it would an interesting development for Juvia to go on without Gray.
Old 2013-06-07, 17:11   Link #11327
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
Funniest chapter in ages!

News flash Mashima suspence only works if there is any chance of you following through and since this is Fairy Tail there isn't any.
Exactly, if say...this were a manga like Akame ga Kiru or Shingeki no Kyojin then I'd actually believe a main character like Gray suddenly got killed because those manga have proven several times that an MC status means nothing (true MC) but in Fairy Tail we've seen MCs and even minor characters survive impossible things.

This is why Ace's death was such a shock in OP. One Piece was always the kind of manga where even the bad guys are imprisoned rather than killed, few people actually die on screen...and then suddenly the main focus of an entire arc, the MC's brother and one of the most popular characters dies quite violently.

Here...the whole chapter was setting up Ultear to do something so Gray staying dead is out the window even harder.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 17:54   Link #11328
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
As much as I love Gray I would want him to remain dead instead of making Ultear sacrifice or some kind of device to revive him. And it would an interesting development for Juvia to go on without Gray.
He hasn't done anything since his introduction other than tease on doing stuff and "helping," so yeah.

Last edited by felix; 2013-06-07 at 18:21.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 21:40   Link #11329
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Exactly, if say...this were a manga like Akame ga Kiru or Shingeki no Kyojin then I'd actually believe a main character like Gray suddenly got killed because those manga have proven several times that an MC status means nothing (true MC) but in Fairy Tail we've seen MCs and even minor characters survive impossible things.

This is why Ace's death was such a shock in OP. One Piece was always the kind of manga where even the bad guys are imprisoned rather than killed, few people actually die on screen...and then suddenly the main focus of an entire arc, the MC's brother and one of the most popular characters dies quite violently.

Here...the whole chapter was setting up Ultear to do something so Gray staying dead is out the window even harder.
Maybe for you, but I enjoyed Ace death, because he keeps outshining Luffy in every way. Gray a original main character, that is like a different case than Ace, but this is FT, I agree that deaths shouldn't be part of this series, but hey, maybe its the ending of FT.
Old 2013-06-07, 21:53   Link #11330
Eragon
Still Alive

And people still refuse to use spoiler tags >_>
Old 2013-06-07, 21:57   Link #11331
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
Ultear's time-reversing magic doesn't work on living things.
Unfortunately, Second Origin broke that rule already.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 22:21   Link #11332
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Ultear is a minor character now, a former antagonist that went trough redemption and is now more fanservice than anything else and this chapter was fully focused on setting her up for a redemption sacrifice. Killing her off in exchange for saving Gray is the same as when Simon died...sure it affected characters and minor plots later on but to the readers.....there was no real effect.
If Mashima really does intend on surprising us (me) then he'll keep Gray dead...but that is highly unlikely.
Most people are not going to dismiss Ultear as just some "minor character". She was quite literally the first character seen and named in the series. She's gotten more screen time and development than half the Fairy Tail members that were on Tenrou Island, to say nothing of the various members of other guilds, and other enemies. Indeed, she holds the record for the manga of being a villain with an active role in three different arcs.

Generally speaking, she's not far behind characters like Gajeel or Jellal in terms of presence in the series. Heck, before Mirajane joined the "rescue Lucy" team Ultear was probably above Mirajane in terms of screen time. She also has a not insignificant fanbase.

For that matter, in terms of panel time, I think Ultear's panel time in Fairy Tail in terms of proportion of the series, is greater than Ace's panel time in One Piece.

So yeah, Ultear's not just some relatively inconsequential minor character like Simon. She's a pretty major character.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 23:01   Link #11333
immblueversion

Hoo boy, this is gonna be a long week.

If Gray is going to live, Juvia had better kiss him. That or their relationship be given an upgrade. There are definitely signs of that happening should he survive: We already know Gray knows Juvia likes him, and if that translation I read is literal, I'd dare say this is the first time Juvia ever called him "Gray" instead of "Gray-sama" (the dub doesn't count), indicating a new level of closeness on her part.

On the other hand, Mashima is yet again presented with the chance to kill off a major character in this series. He was gonna kill Erza in the Tower of Heaven; he changed his mind. He was gonna kill Makarov on Tenrou Island; he changed his mind. He's practically already killed Gray here; how will he surprise us?

Whether this is genuine or some massive troll, my emotions are running high with this. I haven't gone through this since the apparent destruction of Tenrou Island. Part of me wants Gray to live, another wants him to die. Either way, I don't know if what happens next will be satisfying.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 23:12   Link #11334
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Generally speaking, she's not far behind characters like Gajeel or Jellal in terms of presence in the series. Heck, before Mirajane joined the "rescue Lucy" team Ultear was probably above Mirajane in terms of screen time. She also has a not insignificant fanbase.
Is it possible after all this mess for Ultear to finally join a guild or walk freely?
Quote:
For that matter, in terms of panel time, I think Ultear's panel time in Fairy Tail in terms of proportion of the series, is greater than Ace's panel time in One Piece.
Not important, but is by a lot of just a few? OP is 700+ chapters! :X
Quote:
So yeah, Ultear's not just some relatively inconsequential minor character like Simon. She's a pretty major character.
Agreed. She helps build up Gray + Erza character and continues to aid FT from the side. She reminds me of a blacksmith at times. Would you say Ultear sex appeal led to her fanbase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Hoo boy, this is gonna be a long week.

If Gray is going to live, Juvia had better kiss him. That or their relationship be given an upgrade. There are definitely signs of that happening should he survive: We already know Gray knows Juvia likes him, and if that translation I read is literal, I'd dare say this is the first time Juvia ever called him "Gray" instead of "Gray-sama" (the dub doesn't count), indicating a new level of closeness on her part.

On the other hand, Mashima is yet again presented with the chance to kill off a major character in this series. He was gonna kill Erza in the Tower of Heaven; he changed his mind. He was gonna kill Makarov on Tenrou Island; he changed his mind. He's practically already killed Gray here; how will he surprise us?
If Gray is revived from the dead thanks to w/e (time travel or Ultear etc...), I want Juvia to kiss him and hopefully end Gray fear of committing to a relationship. The talk Gray wanted with Juvia is gonna be about something random/stupid, but I hope Gray changed that thought to "I love you Juvia!" or something (after resurrected).
Quote:
Whether this is genuine or some massive troll, my emotions are running high with this. I haven't gone through this since the apparent destruction of Tenrou Island. Part of me wants Gray to live, another wants him to die. Either way, I don't know if what happens next will be satisfying.
Him dying is to much. Juvia fan base is big too. Ultear x Juvia has so much panel time lately.
Old 2013-06-07, 23:34   Link #11335
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

I'd rather have FT go back in time to revive Gray rather than let Urtear sacrifice herself or anything. That way, Gray would stay dead longer
Pinwheel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 01:06   Link #11336
xellos2099

You know this kind of remind me of Rave when:
Spoiler for spoiler:
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 01:25   Link #11337
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos2099 View Post
You know this kind of remind me of Rave when:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:

As for this tweet of Hiro's, I've heard that it's more likely to be related to the anime than the manga. One, it's in English. Two, it's good news. Three, he freely talks about the anime to American viewers while keeping things related to the manga heavily under wraps until something is released in America. You may recall he refused to answer an American fan's question about the destruction of Tenrou Island, which has yet to officially reach our shores in the manga.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 04:17   Link #11338
TeNMaN
Lost & Found

It would be a huge shame to kill off Ultear. In my mind, she is one of the most powerful mages in this entire series with her wide range of abilities that are somewhat very hax. She is far more powerful than Gray and her abilities would be immensely useful in the battle vs the dragons. Her character has some layers of depth now too. Please give us more Ultear and not a meaningless death!! (no offense to Gray as I do like him and doubt he is going to die as well)

Also, I agree with others about Ace in OP. His death didn't bother me much. I really did expect it to be honest. He was a cool character but was barely in the series enough for me to really become attached to him and get upset over his death. Ultear's presence has spanned multiple arcs in Fairy Tail and she has been decently tied in with the storyline. Ace has less of an overall impact in OP overall imo.
TeNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 04:41   Link #11339
Yye1
Wide Right

Read the latest chapter, ahhh my favorite character!!!

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 06:16   Link #11340
Casshern

Time to bring back Ul!
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen