AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-05, 11:47   Link #21
Jehuty77
Legendary Hero

Send a message via MSN to Jehuty77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Denka View Post
Just stumbled upon this topic randomly, but wow, she does seem to capure Konata rather well in that vid~ +cookie to you~

Speaking of which, there's a fandub they made and it was really fun to watch. http://youtube.com/watch?v=zU82PR2xlYc. Taking account that its a fan effort, it was really good. Overall, I wouldn't mind listening to the dub once in a while if these people were hired and given a little more time to practice and train.
I think the girls who did Konata and Kagami did great jobs. I woundn't mind them doing the dub but it'll never happen.

Hope they do a good job because I love this series.
Old 2007-11-05, 11:51   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
make the english dubbers of Haruhi be the dubbers of L*S
Except that you want the director to cast people who fit the roles and channel the spirit of the original acting --- not just "hey lets use the usual gang of VAs we use and assign by seniority".
Old 2007-11-05, 16:23   Link #23
Mad Dog
Banned

Well the fan dub voices are good, but not great. I've heard a few other fandubbs of animes that sounded better, however at least it was better than what Bandai or Funimation could pull off.
Old 2007-11-05, 17:05   Link #24
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Except that you want the director to cast people who fit the roles and channel the spirit of the original acting --- not just "hey lets use the usual gang of VAs we use and assign by seniority".
Aye, and that seems to be the solution most companies take when doing a dub. "Look, they're popular, let's use them for the main cast!" I suppose the same thing is done in Japan at least from time to time, but over there it seems to actually work more often than not.

That fandub is definitely among the better I've heard, the only problem being that to me, hearing some of the names and suffixes coming from them sounded a bit odd. However, definitely better than some professional tracks I've sat through, and I could certainly live with it as the official dub if they touch up their act a bit.
Old 2007-11-08, 19:08   Link #25
The Timotei Teller
Hot under these lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
Well the fan dub voices are good, but not great. I've heard a few other fandubbs of animes that sounded better, however at least it was better than what Bandai or Funimation could pull off.
Which sorta makes you wonder why the heck it's so hard for big anime companies like Bandai to find half-decent voices.

At least the Haruhi dub was acceptable, though not the best in the world.

Last edited by The Timotei Teller; 2007-11-19 at 22:59.
Old 2007-11-08, 19:13   Link #26
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Timotei Teller View Post
Which sorta makes you wonder why the heck it's so hard for big anime companies like Bandai to find half-decent voices.
It isn't. The people they use now have talent, but I still think the problem lies in the recording method. Even Fandubbers are usually in the same room when they record
Old 2007-11-08, 20:03   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I agree with FPB... with some glaring exceptions, many voice dub actors could probably do a wonderful job if the producers/directors would:
1) let them practice the script together as a team (like most live-action series do a set of read-throughs before they even get to the recording studio)
2) let them record together. Actors *really* need to feed off of each other's energy. Solo in a booth just doesn't get the same results.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-11-08 at 20:14.
Old 2007-11-09, 09:29   Link #28
Mad Dog
Banned

Puni Puni Poemi is a perfect example of this. This is one of the few animes where the voice actor's got to dub together in 2 rooms (One for men the other for women) They could hear each other through their headphones and it ended up being one of the best dubs i have EVER heard.
Old 2007-11-09, 20:14   Link #29
Arkin

It's going to be nice to see how this will work out, it always seemed to be that there were references to Japanese culture left right and centre so whether they'll just change the dialogue or try to twist it to make sense to an American audience should be interesting. Saying that you could watch the anime in Japanese and completely ignore the cultural stuff but it does make the anime more interesting.
Old 2007-11-13, 20:26   Link #30
The Timotei Teller
Hot under these lights...

Well, I guess what I was trying to say was why it's so hard for the company to use the "well-delivered" lines. It almost feels like they only spend their time on two takes and ended up using the worst of the two. So yes, I basically agree with FPB's response... but they could still find some better voices, since it's become increasingly apparent after watching the fandub of episode 12 that good talent isn't at all hard to find.

Last edited by The Timotei Teller; 2007-11-19 at 23:00.
Old 2007-11-13, 20:48   Link #31
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Timotei Teller View Post
Well, I guess what I was trying to say was why it's so hard for the company to use the "well-delivered" lines. It almost feels like they only spend their time on two takes and ended up using the worst of the two. So yes, I basically agree with FPB's response... but they could still find some better voices, since it's become increasingly apparent after watching the fandub of episode 12 that good talent isn't at all hard to find.
If that's the case, then those fandubbers should really consider auditioning to some of the major dubbing studios, and see if they can get a jump start in voice acting.
Old 2007-11-16, 16:52   Link #32
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
How do they think this will work? lucky star if for the japanese...
Old 2007-11-16, 19:12   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeval View Post
How do they think this will work? lucky star is for the japanese...
Ya know, this mis-meme is starting to take on the level of out-of-touch-ness that the "but the earth is flat!!!" group has.

Newsflash: ALL anime is for the japanese. The rest of us are just peering in.

Newsflash: Pani Poni Dash -- makes Lucky*Star look positively pedestrian in terms of "for the japanese" yet here it is on the shelves in other countries ... as is Kamichu! -- a series about Shinto. Do I need to make a comprehensive list of all the japanese series that use a lot of japanese idioms and references?

Newsflash: about 90% of Lucky*Star is made of mainstream humor approachable by just about anyone in a country that has hobby fans, small talk, and human foibles.

I may just slap the shit out of the next poster that says something like this if I can get to them. (rant, froth, rage, break things)

Pardon my rant, you were just the lucky 15th --- but this seems to pop up in almost every thread about the licensing of L*S repeatedly (which means they aren't even taking a brief browse of the thread before they post).
Old 2007-11-16, 22:49   Link #34
Calawain
Gaijin

Reading the post beforehand is a lot of work though!
Old 2007-11-17, 00:05   Link #35
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Deep breaths, Vexx, deep breaths!

Quoting myself to get a point across:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
For those that keep insisting that us westerners "can't or won't" get Lucky Star, I present this:

Any questions?
And I repeat: ANY QUESTIONS??

(and for the record, John Cleese is being played by Vexx in this presentation. )
Old 2007-11-17, 02:40   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ahhhhhh, fishslapping --- the quintessential Western sport.

I'm honored by the chance to play John Cleese. He's a bit taller than me but we do share some personality quirks.
Old 2007-11-19, 01:42   Link #37
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Lets ignore the thread-killing random flame for now...

Drop your votes: who has the best shot on dubbing Konata? I hold no positive expectations, but then again, I don't know Western anime voice actors (you can count on one hand the times I've heard them). I'd like to know your opinion on who would get anywhere close.
Old 2007-11-19, 06:16   Link #38
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
I'd think, out of the LA pool, Melissa Fahn would make the best Konata. But unfortunately, because of all the seiyuu jokes with Haruhi, she's going to have to be voiced by Wendee Lee. Which sucks, because her voice is anything but usable for Konata.
Old 2007-11-19, 16:31   Link #39
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
I'd think, out of the LA pool, Melissa Fahn would make the best Konata. But unfortunately, because of all the seiyuu jokes with Haruhi, she's going to have to be voiced by Wendee Lee. Which sucks, because her voice is anything but usable for Konata.
I'm no good with names, so I just looked her and her past works up. She might do an okay job. I honestly can't name anyone who would pull off Konata well, except maybe that fandub girl. But yeah, sadly, it'll probably be Wendee Lee, and she's just... no. Just no.
Old 2007-11-19, 19:17   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks... now i have a headache ... (not generally a fan of Ms. Lee though I'll admit it may be just that the conditions she works under are unsurmountable for good VA work).