AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-03-04, 17:39   Link #1
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Looking for Shoujo Anime's

I just finished Kami-sama Hajimemashita and i absolutely loved it, i also liked Sukitte Ii na yo, animes like this made me think i should give the shoujo genre a closer look, i don't mind reverse harem either, just no yaoi (just to be sure).

Thank you in advance.
Old 2013-03-04, 18:07   Link #2
jedinat

Full Moon o Sagashite
Aishiteru ze Baby
Fruits Basket
Kare Kano
Kaleido Star
Ouran Koukou Host Club
Cardcaptor Sakura
Princess Tutu
Skip Beat!

Shoujo is a demographic, not a genre, by the way...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 18:11   Link #3
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

I forgot to mention, this is my animelist: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Strike105X

But still thanks among those there are some i haven't seen XD.
Old 2013-03-04, 18:11   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Saiunkoku Monogatari is officially shoujo, I believe, though it could easily pass as a josei as well. It is a bit hard to find now that Geneon let it go out-of-print. The second season exists only in fansubs.

One of my favorite performances by the always-excellent Kuwashima Houko.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 19:09   Link #5
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Chihayafuru has shoujo designs...
Old 2013-03-04, 19:28   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

And it is an excellent show that I have no problems endorsing except that it really is josei. I don't think these things matter much, but I suspect the romance aspects of Chihayafuru would have been a larger part of the story if it was targeted at a younger female audience.
Old 2013-03-04, 21:32   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
The Monster Next To Me

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 22:04   Link #8
deadlights911

Tonari no Kaibutsu (My Little Monster) - I highly recommend this one
Fruits Basket
Lovely Complex
Special A
deadlights911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 08:32   Link #9
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Saiunkoku Monogatari is officially shoujo, I believe, though it could easily pass as a josei as well. It is a bit hard to find now that Geneon let it go out-of-print. The second season exists only in fansubs.

One of my favorite performances by the always-excellent Kuwashima Houko.
The original novels were actually josei.
Old 2013-03-05, 13:04   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
The original novels were actually josei.
And so, it appears, was the anime audience. This is a shot from an NHK interview show with Kuwashima and Seki Tomokazu.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Looks like a lot of ladies in their early twenties. However the manga version is officially shoujo, having appeared in Monthly Asuka.

Let me say right away that I think using demographics to choose anime is much too limiting. For instance, I don't watch much shounen, but I'm enjoying Magi. I certainly prefer josei/seinen stories because they have a larger representation of adult characters, but I don't really pay much attention to demographics overall. A good story is a good story, regardless of who the target audience might be.
Old 2013-03-05, 13:48   Link #11
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

As far as Saiunkoku Monogatari goes it doesn't matter as i watched it and loved that as well XD.

Btw the recommendations can be jousei as well.
Old 2013-03-05, 14:10   Link #12
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I have to empathize these two SO MUCH.
Old 2013-03-05, 16:27   Link #13
Bern-san

A couple of recommendations although the ones mentioned are very good:
Kuragehime
Nana
Hotarubi no mori e (it's a 44-minute movie)
Old 2013-03-05, 18:35   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by delorean2200 View Post
Btw the recommendations can be jousei as well.
Well, then, I'd put Chihayafuru at or near the top of your list if you haven't watched it yet.

Here are a few other random suggestions:

Hataraki Man - A 28-yo female editor fights workplace patriarchy and overwork as she tries to build a professional life. Do a search for "Arienai" to find the subs.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
- I have no idea what demographic this targets, but it's certainly enjoyable. A 16-yo Japanese girl travels to 19th century Paris to take up a position as a shop girl in an ironmonger's shop. Much of the humor revolves around "culture clash" issues like young Yune's first encounters with cheese.

Kemono no Sou-ja Erin - Another story by the author of Moribito animated by Production I.G in association with the NHK. Erin wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a veterinarian to mystical beasts. Her ability to communicate with them puts her in the center of political conflict. The original novel probably targeted the same audience as the Harry Potter novels.

Usagi Drop - Technically seinen, I believe, but who cares? Thirty-ish bachelor Daikichi takes on the responsibility for raising his grandfather's illegitimate five-year-old daughter after the old man dies and her mother disappears. Very heartwarming and often funny, though it deals with serious issues like the problems of balancing work and family as a single-father in workaholic Japan. Apparently it's no longer streamed by Crunchyroll though it is available on DVD from NISA.
Old 2013-03-05, 18:44   Link #15
Dawnstorm

Pretty good recommendations already (random note: Fruitsbasket has the same director as Kami-sama Hajimemashita; many people say it has a similar feel - I wouldn't have noticed, but thinking about it, I agree).

I'd also recommend: Kimi ni Todoke, conceptually pretty similar to Sukitte Ii na Yo, but with a more idyllic feel and a bigger emphasis on friendship (at least the first season, which is the one I'd recommend. The second season isn't quite as good, but if you loved the first one you'll definitely want to see it.)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 21:07   Link #16
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Let me say right away that I think using demographics to choose anime is much too limiting. For instance, I don't watch much shounen, but I'm enjoying Magi. I certainly prefer josei/seinen stories because they have a larger representation of adult characters, but I don't really pay much attention to demographics overall. A good story is a good story, regardless of who the target audience might be.
And I completely agree with you, although I admit I enjoy the fact that manga/anime for my target demographic exists.

However to contribute to this thread I will repeat recommendations for

* Fruits Basket (by the same director as Kamisama Kiss)
* Princess Tutu (this is in my top 2 anime series).

And I will also recommend Natsume Yuujinchou. It doesn't have much romance as its more focused on friendship but it's just extremely heart warming and moving.

If you like fantasy/adventure I strongly recommend Twelve Kingdoms
If you like historical fiction check out the wonderful Rose of Versailles.

As for Josei then I second recommendations for Chihayafuru. It's probably my favorite ongoing series right now and this board named it anime of the year.

And I will also add Nodame Cantabile & Honey and Clover for some nice college age romance.