AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-21, 20:50   Link #281
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogesnake View Post
Spoiler for for size:
THAT. WAS. AWESOME.

Despite being tired, he made some really goods points. It really does sound like a PC now. What, you install the game after you put in a code for the game? Sounds suspiciously like a PC game on a disc...

And it's total swapping of places. PS3 was came out of the gates as being a multi-media platform. The BluRay player was it's saving grace. People could buy one machine and do many things. The 360, meanwhile, came out first and didn't have a BluRay player (it had HD-DVD-BVD!), but it was gamer-centric. Fast-forward to 2013... PS4 will retain its father's BluRay player, but it's being marketed as an ultimate gamer machine. Meanwhile, X-Box One (so... is this like the Japanese/American naming-convention disconnect with respect to Final Fantasy? III is VI but VI is III and IV is XXIII and XIII is IV and MCCX is negative-XLVI?) is going to be this mega-multimedia center and..... WAIT, WHERE ARE THE GAMES!?!?!?!?!

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 20:55   Link #282
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Honestly, I do not like the direction this industry is taking. Game developments are getting more expensive, developers stopped focusing on creative aspect, like game play, and started to focus on other useless junks gamers don't want.
If this keeps up then we might have a crash on our hands.
Old 2013-05-21, 20:55   Link #283
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

My thoughts even before this announcement was, "why does Microsoft even need a console when it has the PC"? That was pretty much 100% reinforced now.

I wasn't planning to get one in the first place, but as much as I hope Xbox will die after this (I've always been a Nintendo and Sony guy), I have my doubts because something tells me causals are going eat this thing up and it won't even matter.
Old 2013-05-21, 20:58   Link #284
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I have a PS3 that's where I play my Bluray disc, I have cable and I have an LCD 40inch tv, so Iam not buying something which I already have which I still need another device.

Xbox One is a joke.
Old 2013-05-21, 21:00   Link #285
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
As much as I would like a new Killer Instinct, I don't know how well it would work in this day and age and how much of a market it would attract. Plus the fact that how well would a console exclusive fighting game sell nowadays? There are alternatives for people that don't have an Xbox or that choose not to buy an Xbox. Combine that with the bad word of mouth surrounding the Xbox One and raises a little cause for concern.
That's what's worrying because fans of Killer Instinct (me included, a diehard one) have been waiting for proper word of a sequel or a re-release to Xbox Live Arcade etc. When it came to that issue MS have always went back and forth on the issue regarding things like name copyright or on and off development etc.

Even if they were to address a new KI for the new Xbox, who would buy it now or consider it? The MS faithful yes, but that's still not a good reason to support or potentially create something that people have to pay top dollar for something that's so abysmal and worthless at this point.
Old 2013-05-21, 21:02   Link #286
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

At this point Microsoft tied themselves to the anchor and commence drowning to the doom dragging down all the fools who buy Xbox one. It's hard to believe the the variety of games are even worse than xbox 360's first year.
Old 2013-05-21, 21:07   Link #287
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarami View Post
That's what's worrying because fans of Killer Instinct (me included, a diehard one) have been waiting for proper word of a sequel or a re-release to Xbox Live Arcade etc. When it came to that issue MS have always went back and forth on the issue regarding things like name copyright or on and off development etc.

Even if they were to address a new KI for the new Xbox, who would buy it now or consider it? The MS faithful yes, but that's still not a good reason to support or potentially create something that people have to pay top dollar for something that's so abysmal and worthless at this point.
You also have to consider the competition KI is up against. It's been a long time since the last KI, and it would have to receive a major overhaul in terms of gameplay and graphics to be a contender in this era of fighting games. We'd have to get a reliable developer with a good track record to make KI a success, and that's where the challenge lies.
Old 2013-05-21, 21:12   Link #288
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

One question concerning the must connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours business. What happens if you don't connect? What happens if Xbox Live is down or experiencing technical difficulties? Will it f*ck up the system? What if it's an error on Microsoft's part? If the Xbox gets messed up due to a screw-up on their end, will they take responsibility? Which raises the question of warranties and how long those will last and what they will cover.

Some of my personal experiences involving my 360:
Red Ring
Still experiencing an account error so I cannot access Xbox Live. This was due to Xbox Live's asinine auto-renew, which I literally had to call Microsoft to cancel, accidentally charging my old debit card. But here's the kicker, it was still auto-renewing my subscription ever after I called those people telling them to turn off auto-renew!

I can only imagine how bad Xbox One will be.
Old 2013-05-21, 21:15   Link #289
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Internet echo chambers never fail to crack me up.

Not that I'll be buying one at release, as I've never found there to be enough compelling games until a console has been out for at least a year or two, but I'll certainly get one. Whether I get a PS4 or not will be the same reason I bought a PS3/Wii-if they get enough exclusives, though I'll always be a PC gamer first.

Down-stream, I have to admit I'm curious to see how Destiny turns out on the Xbox One, but for the console's initial release, what I'm most excited about is actually Steven Spielberg helming the new Halo tv series.

I'll have to wait for more word on the exact nature of the NFL-Xbox relationship, but that could potentially excite me as well. Really too bad that it'll be too late for the upcoming fantasy football season.

On a different note, if the used game scenario occurs via deactivation of account-linked content and activation to account, then this will largely kill direct used game sales via ebay, etc, which means companies like Gamestop will end up booming, which is kind of funny, as the initial reaction caused their stock to take a small hit.

Of course, if I was in charge of next gen console development, I'd integrate an exchange within Xbox Live, allowing players to trade and/or sell games to one another, with a fixed percent cut going to the studio that developed/published the game in question and cut out companies like Gamespot completely, keep the used game practice alive and well, and allow the developers to still make some money. Basically an Xbox Live Auction House. Especially since it sounds like all games will be available digitally, when they said you could go to your friend's house and log in with your account and download copies of any games you own regardless of whether you bought it on a physical disc or not.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 21:18   Link #290
takai
Easy Muffin

The Xbox One impressed me more than the PS4.

But I haven't been impressed enough to want to buy either.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 21:19   Link #291
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarami View Post

Exactly! It's kinda like what happened with Darkstalkers. Capcom did nothing with the franchise for so long that a lot of people lost interest.

And you're absolutely right on the second point.

To Blackbeard D. Kuma You're on the money. With the level of quality that most fighting games have nowadays, KI would need a major overhaul to compete with the competition. Plus most fighting games are multi-platform, so you would be losing out on a good bit of money.
Old 2013-05-21, 21:29   Link #292
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
The Xbox One impressed me more than the PS4.

But I haven't been impressed enough to want to buy either.
How could you be impressed by what is basically a glorified TV receiver box?
Old 2013-05-21, 21:36   Link #293
Destined_Fate

I'm unconvinced still, the lack of specific details on the specs is troubling.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 21:40   Link #294
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You also have to consider the competition KI is up against. It's been a long time since the last KI, and it would have to receive a major overhaul in terms of gameplay and graphics to be a contender in this era of fighting games. We'd have to get a reliable developer with a good track record to make KI a success, and that's where the challenge lies.
Many of the people who developed the Rare franchises that gave the company its glowing reputation are long gone. I have little faith that KI would turn out better than the other Xbox efforts they've done, and for the most part they really don't make anything other than dashboard and kinect stuff now.

Rare's franchises, hate to say it, market much better to Nintendo's audience. Why they didn't keep them when selling the company to MS, I have no clue, but the deal hasn't been that lucrative for MS either, and I think the only reason Rare hasn't been dumped is because Nintendo would snap them up in a heartbeat, so it's strategic for MS to not let those IPs go.

I mean heck, people still make stuff like this:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-05-21, 21:42   Link #295
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'm also curious what a developer like Quantic Dream could do with the new Kinect. The ability to detect your heartbeat/rate? The possibilities when combined with interactive storytelling! Dynamic events unfolding dependent on how the player is reacting to events measured by their heartrate, etc. Ability to determine velocity, pressure, and force by watching your movements? Intriguing possibilities. Hopefully QD loses their Sony-only-love for the next gen.

With the ability to load apps and a Windows Kernel, this is essentially a PC for your living room. Haters will always hate, but from my perspective consoles are finally approaching what I expected out of them back at the turn of the century.

Now, I hope MS has a team working to push out an update to have the Xbox talk back to you in a Cortana-like voice within a year or two of release.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 21:42   Link #296
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
They haven't finalized it yet, things can still change.
Which is why I'm unconvinced.

There's also this as well that I hate.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/21...erent-account/

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-requ...ay-o-509164109

Last edited by Destined_Fate; 2013-05-21 at 21:55.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 21:57   Link #297
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Which is why I'm unconvinced.

There's also this as well that I hate.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/21...erent-account/
That is my main problem. My brother and I both share a Xbox 360. We both play the same games on it and play said games on it under different gamertags. But with the Xbox One, if I play Halo 5 and sometime later on he wants to play it under his account, he'll have to pay the actual price of the game just to play it.

It's not right to say the least.
Old 2013-05-21, 21:58   Link #298
defki

You will not get the specs from Microsoft because that will put them below Sony and PS4.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 21:59   Link #299
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Rare's franchises, hate to say it, market much better to Nintendo's audience. Why they didn't keep them when selling the company to MS, I have no clue, but the deal hasn't been that lucrative for MS either, and I think the only reason Rare hasn't been dumped is because Nintendo would snap them up in a heartbeat, so it's strategic for MS to not let those IPs go.
Nintendo did not own Rare. They had enough stake in the company that Rare was considered a second party developer for nintendo, but Rare was still indepdant; its more like they had a partnership. Then Microsoft came along and bought out the entire company. Not really anything Nintendo could have done.

It wasn't really such a bad idea in theory (well for MS... bad for the gamers as it turned out)... i mean the whole point seemed to be for Rare to help expand Xbox's library so they could include the audience that was attracted by nintendo. But MS had too much of a hardcore rep, and one company was not gonna change it... furtharmore, Rare for one reason or another just so happened to release a bunch of flops. Not sure what happened there, but after that it seems MS just gave up on the company completely and just chose to hold on to it
Old 2013-05-21, 22:00   Link #300
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
With the ability to load apps and a Windows Kernel, this is essentially a PC for your living room. Haters will always hate, but from my perspective consoles are finally approaching what I expected out of them back at the turn of the century.
Why do you need something resembling a pc for your living room when you can actually connect an actual PC to the TV in your living room?