AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Gundam Series is?
Mobile Suit Gundam 31 5.74%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 66 12.22%
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 7 1.30%
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 11 2.04%
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15 2.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing 69 12.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam X 22 4.07%
'∀' Turn A Gundam 57 10.56%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED 152 28.15%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny 38 7.04%
Other (Explain) 72 13.33%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-01, 09:47   Link #401
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

F91 & Crossbone involve Tomino.. And I just don't see Tomino returning to Gundam anytime soon. (or ever)
Old 2012-11-04, 22:00   Link #402
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Funny people should mention Gundam F91 because I recently saw it again and it actually holds up better than my first viewing. I think it's aged really well and the 1080p remaster looks absolutely stunning. I'm tempted to say perhaps even the best Gundam has ever looked (that early 90's standard of movie animation) and if you take the plot as is, an uprising and resolution where the victory at the end is a pyrrhic one it doesn't come across as anything I would really describe as bad. It's very obvious it was meant to be longer and there was enough story with some filler episodes in there to probably make a full series, but for what it is and how it was cut down it's a great Gundam flick that's about the length of a 6 episode OVA.

It's just a shame I can't really say the same for the Crossbone Gundam manga, which picks it up but just never feels like it has the same gravitas as the Cosmo Babylonia arc of U.C.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 22:10   Link #403
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It's just a shame I can't really say the same for the Crossbone Gundam manga, which picks it up but just never feels like it has the same gravitas as the Cosmo Babylonia arc of U.C.
I recently read the Ghost Crossbone manga and I think the story is pretty decent (so far). But it’s a bit light-hearted for a UC series and some elements do feel like a Super Robot (like a “hat-wearing” MS that looks like Kamen Rider Skull )
Old 2012-11-04, 22:17   Link #404
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I recently read the Ghost Crossbone manga and I think the story is pretty decent (so far). But it’s a bit light-hearted for a UC series and some elements do feel like a Super Robot (like a “hat-wearing” MS that looks like Kamen Rider Skull )
Well, when you consider the overall series (and the Victory Gundam side-story manga) has Grey Stokes...

Spoiler for spoiler:

...in it, I guess it's not too surprising. Then again, Victory had someone as young as Uso and that was more dark than even Zeta Gundam.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 23:03   Link #405
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
While I do agree with the original Crossbone manga, I actually think Steel 7 to be decent enough to make up for this (more serious theme and the ending). And I thought it was a pretty good closure for the whole Jupiter saga. Sadly, I think they are trying to milk Crossbone too much with the Ghost. I thought they had already found a good place to end with Steel 7.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 02:17   Link #406
Destined_Fate

I wouldn't call Ghost milking, it's actually very well done and is just another step in the story of
Spoiler:
After all, Crossbone was his story.

Spoiler:

Victory also needed some more leading up and explanations for it which Ghost seems ti be providing already from the get go.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 10:50   Link #407
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Trust me, they're milking that series.

And that isn't Tobia's daughter.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 01:06   Link #408
Destined_Fate

Spoiler:
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 06:01   Link #409
bio9205
Reborn

Sometime last year I watched the MSG 0079 movies on Youtube - I remember an official Bandai channel uploaded them, but I can't find them now. Any idea which channel has them, or if it's been removed?
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 06:13   Link #410
Kirayuki

You are talking about GundamInfo right ? they(0079, Wing, G) have been removed recently, the only thing that are still there :
-SEED (HD Remaster)
-Gunpla Builder
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 06:51   Link #411
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
You are talking about GundamInfo right ? they(0079, Wing, G) have been removed recently, the only thing that are still there :
-SEED (HD Remaster)
-Gunpla Builder
What a shame. Looks like I'll have to watch it somewhere else. Thanks for the info!
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 16:46   Link #412
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

New Short OVA of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Announced

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=507507

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 05:25   Link #413
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Did anyone else see this?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-sony-pictures
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 05:33   Link #414
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Live action gundam?

iamokwiththis.jpg

Old 2012-11-29, 06:21   Link #415
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Maybe after seeing Mike Bay’s Bayformers profit and the excitement of Del Toro’s upcoming Pacific Rim, Sony wants a piece of giant-robot-cow to milk by securing rights on Gundam? I really hope not. IIRC Sony haven’t produce many great movies lately. Amazing Spiderman, Resident Evil: Retribution, Underworld: Awakening and MIB 3 are just passable.
Old 2012-11-29, 06:35   Link #416
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well is not like you watch it for story anyway. as long we have great CG gundam battle. it will be fine

Old 2012-11-29, 06:57   Link #417
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
well is not like you watch it for story anyway. as long we have great CG gundam battle. it will be fine
Well, I don't know about you, but I prefer getting nothing than getting Gundam: Revenge of the Fallen (Colony) .

Also, one of the major appeals of Gundam franchise is the story. Scrap that and you'll have a movie worse than Bayformers.
Old 2012-11-29, 07:08   Link #418
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Well, I don't know about you, but I prefer getting nothing than getting Gundam: Revenge of the Fallen (Colony) .

Also, one of the major appeal of Gundam franchise is the story. Scrap that and you'll have a movie worse than Bayformers.
well certainly it will have more story than transformer due nature of original medium. . beside, to me. reason why i watch Gundam is because mecha action :3

thought i wonder how they will do it. the only way i can think is to make something like 08TH MS team

Old 2012-11-29, 12:38   Link #419
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
If it's UC-era Gundam, I fully expect story and character development to play just as much, if not more of a role than just the MS action.

If it's related to an AU-series (which is what a lot of US fans started with; with Wing on Toonami), not so much.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 22:01   Link #420
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:

Also, one of the major appeals of Gundam franchise is the story. Scrap that and you'll have a movie worse than Bayformers.
Eh, Gundam stories tend to be formulaic and non-nonsensical. Definitely not a core element. The core of the franchise is mecha in a war/military setting, along with some pseudo-sci-fi gibberish. Everything else is basically dressing.

On that note if they do make a live-action Hollywood movie, its to market the franchise to a mainstream/international audiences, and the easiest way to do that is to go the route of Transformers - something straight forward, not trying to tread any new grounds with the story or stray too far from its roots, action-oriented to appeal to lowest denominator, etc. Its definitely a shot in the arm that the franchise needs in terms of expanding the audience, so I definitely see them going that way.