Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-11-21, 07:21   Link #1841
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Fucked us over? It gave us Zaheer, Amon, Vaatuu and Fake!Unalaq having a phone-call. I can totally forgive the episode's pointlessness because of that.
Haha, very true

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/pos...ut-episode-408 (For those of you who want to know why this episode happened)
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 10:15   Link #1842
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

This episode was flippin awful, while I understand why they had to make it cuz of stupid Nick, worst channel ever to make this kind of show on. All they care about is shows with horrible Animation and toilet humor

However, the least they could have done is make it more creative than this. The only segment I enjoyed were the Bolin / Varrick scenes, I hope those guy's traveling with them heads with them to RC too, it'd be awesome if Bolin built up his own Army when the final fight comes.

Mako's segment was ok, at least he got punishment finally for the crap he did in the previous seasons, those scenes were kind of funny.

Korra's segment was boring man, we've been through this entire season dealing with these issues of hers, why do I need to see a segment on it too?

The Animation during the none flashback scenes were great. The final better be worth it, I know we are going to have the final fight be Kuriva V.S Korra for whatever strange reason now, guess cuz she's the Avatar. To me, this time I don't see a reason for her to get involved, should be just between the Earth Kingdom and Zaofu city. Now if she crosses the line with other Nations I guess I get it. I hope every one gets a chance to shine in the final.

Oh hey, look it's Tenzin ( I swear he hates Korra! )

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 10:21   Link #1843
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Personally, I would have liked it more if Korra had been talking about her life through the first 3 seasons. I want to know what she thinks about the events with her current mind-set.

Quote:
I know we are going to have the final fight be Kuriva V.S Kirra for whatever strange reason now
But...it's the Avatar's duty to always make themselves clear that they are going to fight whatever threatens the balance of the world. Korra needs to be there, but not only as the Avatar. Kuvira has humiliated her and has imprisoned the family she holds dear to her heart.
Old 2014-11-21, 10:31   Link #1844
james0246

I have to question why the producers didn't simply have one less episode for the season rather than cobbling together this, admittedly okay, clip-show...

Whatever the case, there were some good moments in this episode. The three pairings the writers are currently focusing on (Wu & Mako; Korra & Asami; and Bolin & Varrick) have great chemistry and repartee, so even if most of the episode is a "flashback", it is still firmly anchored by the best couplings the series currently has. And, even if the whole Mako romance stuff generally leaves something of a bitter taste in my mouth (and I assume many others as well), it was still somewhat nice to see clips from episodes I had not watched in years. But, I think we can all agree it was the second and third segments of the clip show that kept this episode from total ruin, with only really the third managing to keep the episode from simply being average. Still, props to those involved for giving us a nice moment with Korra and Asami, and then concluding with a simply epic 'mover' storyline from Varrick that gave us such images as Giant Blue Hermaphrodite Bolin and the Terror Square calling each other on telephones. They may have lacked the budget for a full episode, but they still managed to create something worthwhile even if not necessarily needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
The Animation during the none flashback scenes were great. The final better be worth it, I know we are going to have the final fight be Kuriva V.S Korra for whatever strange reason now, guess cuz she's the Avatar. To me, this time I don't see a reason for her to get involved, should be just between the Earth Kingdom and Zaofu city. Now if she crosses the line with other Nations I guess I get it. I hope every one gets a chance to shine in the final.
Past Avatars have gotten involved in civil wars and wars against tyrants (which Kuvira clearly is, what with her re-education centers and concentration camps, and her army of fearful conscripts), so I'm unclear why Korra wouldn't be involved this time. That being said, simply fighting Kuvira doesn't seem to be what the season is building up to. That's not to say there won't be a fight, I'm just unsure if Kuvira is really the opponent Korra is gearing up for (considering how quickly Kuvira was knocked around once Korra entered the Avatar Mode, I am not expecting some epic fight from her), or if her defeat will even matter to Korra's storyline (currently I'm expecting Opal and Bolin to defeat Kuvira more than Korra).

Last edited by james0246; 2014-11-21 at 10:44.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 10:32   Link #1845
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
I have to question why the producers didn't simply have one less episode for the season rather than cobbling together this, admittedly okay, clip-show..
Because the network ordered 13 episodes.
Old 2014-11-21, 11:24   Link #1846
Kumagawa

After how great season 3 was season 4 has quickly taken season 2's place as the worst of Korra not even the good first episode and Toph can save it after the last couple of shit episodes.

5 to go and I'm finding it really hard to care.
Kumagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 11:28   Link #1847
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

And what exactly do you not like about it? The show has been focusing on characters, their struggles. It has given us Kuvira who is one of the most interesting villains we've seen on the show so far. What else do you want from it? War right in the middle of the first act? May I remind you that Book 3 didn't kick off until EP8 and before it we had the same kind of format of character based episodes and world building?
Old 2014-11-21, 11:37   Link #1848
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I have to question why the producers didn't simply have one less episode for the season rather than cobbling together this, admittedly okay, clip-show...

Whatever the case, there were some good moments in this episode. The three pairings the writers are currently focusing on (Wu & Mako; Korra & Asami; and Bolin & Varrick) have great chemistry and repartee, so even if most of the episode is a "flashback", it is still firmly anchored by the best couplings the series currently has. And, even if the whole Mako romance stuff generally leaves something of a bitter taste in my mouth (and I assume many others as well), it was still somewhat nice to see clips from episodes I had not watched in years. But, I think we can all agree it was the second and third segments of the clip show that kept this episode from total ruin, with only really the third managing to keep the episode from simply being average. Still, props to those involved for giving us a nice moment with Korra and Asami, and then concluding with a simply epic 'mover' storyline from Varrick that gave us such images as Giant Blue Hermaphrodite Bolin and the Terror Square calling each other on telephones. They may have lacked the budget for a full episode, but they still managed to create something worthwhile even if not necessarily needed.

Past Avatars have gotten involved in civil wars and wars against tyrants (which Kuvira clearly is, what with her re-education centers and concentration camps, and her army of fearful conscripts), so I'm unclear why Korra wouldn't be involved this time. That being said, simply fighting Kuvira doesn't seem to be what the season is building up to. That's not to say there won't be a fight, I'm just unsure if Kuvira is really the opponent Korra is gearing up for (considering how quickly Kuvira was knocked around once Korra entered the Avatar Mode, I am not expecting some epic fight from her), or if her defeat will even matter to Korra's storyline (currently I'm expecting Opal and Bolin to defeat Kuvira more than Korra).
Well now see that's what I mean, Korra being in this feels forced right now. I don't care about her fight with Kuriva, it feels like it's just going to happen for the sake of her being the Avatar and needing to solve the situation for the heck of it. No real motivation or connections besides the fact that they are the exact Opposits. Su and her family are more connected to Bolin, he's smack dab in the middle of the main plot and wants to redeem himself for his mistake of working with her. At least last season you understood and wanted her to defeat the villains cuz it was around her for a reason. Plus her family was in a crises situation along with building up the Air benders so all of that was understandable. The others don't seem to care about what's going on either, Mako or Asami and even Tenzin who should doesn't seem be doing a thing to help

It just feels more like Bolin's Arc yah know what I mean. Eve Varrick has more of a reason to fight than these guy's. I hope both really get to shine in the final to make up for the past deeds.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2014-11-21, 11:48   Link #1849
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Well now see that's what I mean, Korra being in this feels forced right now. I don't care about her fight with Kuriva, it feels like it's just going to happen for the sake of her being the Avatar and needing to solve the situation for the heck of it. No real motivation or connections besides the fact that they are the exact Opposits. Su and her family are more connected to Bolin, he's smack dab in the middle of the main plot and wants to redeem himself for his mistake of working with her. At least last season you understood and wanted her to defeat the villains cuz it was around her for a reason. Plus her family was in a crises situation along with building up the Air benders so all of that was understandable. The others don't seem to care about what's going on either, Mako or Asami and even Tenzin who should doesn't seem be doing a thing to help

It just feels more like Bolin's Arc yah know what I mean. Eve Varrick has more of a reason to fight than these guy's. I hope both really get to shine in the final to make up for the past deeds.
I'm not saying Korra doesn't have a reason to fight Kuvira (again, she is a tyrant), nor that her reasons ar enot as good as others, rather I'm saying there is something more Korra has to do (or at least that is how I view the recent character arcs). Kuvira seems to be a symptom of an overarching problem Korra is slowly realizing affects everything she, and possibly the Avatar in general, has done. That is why she is questioning herself in this recent episode, and why she is constantly seeing the Avatar as her opponent (Korra's struggle with PTSD has been quite impressive), and why she is beginning to wonder what the purpose of the Avatar really is or can be. Korra's story may extend beyond Kuvira, but that doesn't mean Kuvira isn't a part of Korra's story or that Korra doesn't have to defeat Kuvira in order to find her eventual purpose/answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
And what exactly do you not like about it? The show has been focusing on characters, their struggles. It has given us Kuvira who is one of the most interesting villains we've seen on the show so far. What else do you want from it? War right in the middle of the first act? May I remind you that Book 3 didn't kick off until EP8 and before it we had the same kind of format of character based episodes and world building?
There is quite a bit less action this season compared to last, and what action is present is often either quickly resolved, or essentially Korra getting beat up. So compared to last season, Season 4 has been almost exclusively focused on character development (some of which is being somewhat repeated by this point), which can be something of a hindrance to some fans. Personally, I love this season, but I'm a fan of Korra struggling, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment on the general audience appreciation .

Last edited by james0246; 2014-11-21 at 11:58.
Old 2014-11-21, 11:51   Link #1850
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Kuvira is threatening the balance of the spirits now, by trying to cut the Banyon tree. She is trying to mess with Spirit Wines, not to mention the dictatorship of Earth Empire. She has enough reasons to fight Kuvira as the Avatar and as someone who is connected with Beifong family.
Old 2014-11-21, 12:25   Link #1851
Blaat

If only Varrick narrated the entire episode, it would have ended up being one of the most memorable clip show.
Old 2014-11-21, 12:29   Link #1852
Farodin

If Nickelodeon had a face I'd punch it.
Farodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 13:57   Link #1853
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
If only Varrick narrated the entire episode, it would have ended up being one of the most memorable clip show.
Yah, that would have made the episode ten times better, oh well

One thing Varrick forgot to mention, how Bolin got his Lava bending, that I'm sure would have been funny as heck

I hope Bopal makes up in the final
I again really hope Bolin gets to really shine.
Book two and three allowed this, it being the final better be super awesome!

UGH Stupid wait!

I heard next week will be a little bit on the Fire Nation and that Zuko's daughter will actually speak
Wouldn't be cool if BoVarrick ended up at the Fire Nation cuz of a Storm?

Forgot about the Spirit vines.

Old 2014-11-21, 14:41   Link #1854
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Because Nick ordered an exact number of episodes so they are bound by contract to give that number of episodes. Even if both parties, the producers and Nick, wanted to reduce the episode count they would have to write and sign a new contract and that too costs quite a bit, not to mention that changing contracts is always a risky thing to do.
Old 2014-11-21, 15:29   Link #1855
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Because Nick ordered an exact number of episodes so they are bound by contract to give that number of episodes. Even if both parties, the producers and Nick, wanted to reduce the episode count they would have to write and sign a new contract and that too costs quite a bit, not to mention that changing contracts is always a risky thing to do.
I still don't understand how this episode was made. I know the Avatar team signed an initial contract for x seasons, 13 episodes per season. And undoubtedly as part of that contract there was a section detailing how much an episode should cost or at least how much a season should cost (can't have a carte blanche entry for the episode/season cost, and the crew would have been foolish to sign a contract allowing Nick to pull funding willynilly). So, unless a new contract was signed recently 9in which case, why not change the order load), how was production affected mid-season/production? (And yes, I read Konietzko's post, I'm just unsure if he is indicating that this is Nick's screw-up (which, how?), or the production staff decided to re-appropriate the money for other parts of the series after Nick had already funded them).

Most likely, Nick and the Avatar crew have a contract that allows for negotiations at the start of every season of production. And, for a variety of reason, the most recent season had a cut in budget, but rather that addressing the issue of episode count or simply allowing say three episodes to be underfunded (but keeping the narrative content of all episodes intact), the production crew decided to bite the bullet and make a clip show. In the end, it wouldn't be anyones fault for the clip shows existence.

Personally, I can't help but think the issue is a little more complex than simply Nickelodean is a douche. But, I'd be just as happy to be wrong .

Last edited by james0246; 2014-11-21 at 15:51.
Old 2014-11-21, 16:17   Link #1856
Galaxian

In a way, Varrick's segment was a documentary on the entire season. Specially how it described Unalaq as the worse villain we've had. I loved it and Mako's segment as well. Korra was ok, but it didn't have humor unlike the others.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 17:08   Link #1857
Wandering Soul

Varrick's segment was the only part worth watching imo. Too bad the entire episode wasn't like that.
Old 2014-11-21, 21:04   Link #1858
Mister Twit

Eh, I rather enjoyed it. "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, kid!" So real. I applauded.

Yeah it doesn't need to exist, but the good news is the rest of the episodes don't have to suffer for it, so let's just pretend that Korra was pre-empted by a football game or whatever.
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 21:14   Link #1859
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Twit View Post
Eh, I rather enjoyed it. "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, kid!" So real. I applauded.
As Urataros from Kamen Rider Den-O says: "One lie makes the world more interesting than a thousand truths."
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-22, 02:31   Link #1860
Psyco Diver

I actually liked the first part with Mako I couldn't stop laughing, after that though it wore out fast.
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra