AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2018-08-01, 04:43   Link #1421
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe, John View Post
Personally, I suspect that one reason Index is getting less attention is the recent shift in focus to Thelema. This isn't as widely known as the Christianity and Norse mythology that preceded it. That wouldn't be a problem in and of itself: the series has been heading in this direction since the beginning, and NT Volume 18 does a good job of explaining Thelema for the uninitiated. However, one of the series' main draws is its mixture of many different things from science and magic, yet Thelema and its practitioners are portrayed as being superior to the rest. The Thelemic concept of Aeons seemingly applies to everything, with beings of the Aeon of Osiris (even if they're not related to magic) being unable to harm those of Horus. Aleister literally invented modern magic and can counter all of it, and the other members of the Golden cabal are on an equal level. Coronzon is considered impossible even for Aleister to kill, something that isn't true of the Magic Gods. There are justifications for these things, but it can still be off-putting to readers for one philosophy/type of magic to be portrayed as the best.

That said, the ending of NT Volume 20 left me hopeful that things will turn around, as it looks like science will get its chance to shine again.
Actually it's much more easier. Index get less attention because many people dropped reading it.

As for anime, Index 3 should come years ago. It might help series BUT:
1. It need to be good adaptation and anime on it's own (good adaptation not really means good anime)
2. It need to be continued without long breaks between seasons
IMO it's just way too late for another series and anime will not boost LN sales that much. Not to mention ending anime at end of WW3 is great place to abandon series so if it not sell well and boost merchandise/LN sales we might not see another Index series ever (and it's possible that novel would end with NT. Kamachi want it or not).
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-01, 10:53   Link #1422
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

^
Point 2.
I remember the same happened with Shakugan no Shana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe, John View Post
Personally, I suspect that one reason Index is getting less attention is the recent shift in focus to Thelema.
Thelema being "different" wasn't the issue, it was poorly sold to readers as an interesting concept making them to not care that much because not matter what the author says, since isn't not happening yet it's treated as speculations within the series universe even more now that the last volume shows everything might be a lie/misconception Aleister took as fact.
Old 2018-08-03, 22:55   Link #1423
dragon1412

Depend actually, i imagined a good amounts would comeback to Index if S3 come out, since novels is different compare manga, people can catch up much easier if the books are available. and novels generally took long release between vols unlike manga, so the drive to chase novels are nowhere near as big, if the anime come out good, it could spark the returns of the old casual readers.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-06, 14:13   Link #1424
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
Depend actually, i imagined a good amounts would comeback to Index if S3 come out, since novels is different compare manga, people can catch up much easier if the books are available. and novels generally took long release between vols unlike manga, so the drive to chase novels are nowhere near as big, if the anime come out good, it could spark the returns of the old casual readers.
Since the drop happened with NT the old fanbase will just stick around while the OT anime lasts and move on again because just as one loses interest on the series they also found something else to keep reading.
Old 2018-10-19, 08:29   Link #1425
LG-MAX 2.o

Japan's Weekly Light Novel Rankings for Oct 8 - 14

*2. 32,322 *32,322 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Vol.21
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-19, 12:59   Link #1426
KiharaRonin

Its #2 but since, despite it being a long-running series and this being normal for one of those, the sales aren't above 50k so therefore... INDEX IS DEAD!!!!!!!! *obvious sarcasm*
Old 2018-10-22, 20:51   Link #1427
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

So not even the anime is boosting the sales for NT.
Old 2018-10-23, 08:01   Link #1428
tsunade666

how mighty had fallen and just like shana. anime won't save it because it's been left behind. lack of care from the publisher.
Old 2018-10-23, 23:06   Link #1429
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
how mighty had fallen and just like shana. anime won't save it because it's been left behind. lack of care from the publisher.
well i guess its hard to reach a target audience if you are a series thats practically as old as them :/
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-24, 10:19   Link #1430
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
well i guess its hard to reach a target audience if you are a series thats practically as old as them :/
Or when you progressively alienate your audience.
Old 2018-10-25, 08:41   Link #1431
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Or when you progressively alienate your audience.
Via gender bending the main antagonist?
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-25, 11:02   Link #1432
dragon1412

I think it's less about the story and more of publisher responsibility in this case though
Old 2018-10-28, 20:15   Link #1433
LG-MAX 2.o

Japan's Weekly Light Novel Rankings for Oct 15 - 21

*9,260 *41,582 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Vol.21
Old 2018-10-29, 03:27   Link #1434
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Japan's Weekly Light Novel Rankings for Oct 15 - 21

*9,260 *41,582 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Vol.21
I’m going to buy two copies... this one really deserves it.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-01, 22:12   Link #1435
LG-MAX 2.o

Japan's Weekly Light Novel Rankings for Oct 22 - 28

20. *4,550 *46,132 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Vol.21
Old 2018-11-02, 01:34   Link #1436
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
I think it's less about the story and more of publisher responsibility in this case though
Partially, to blame (aside from bizzare plot)

To me, the main cause is the publisher. They didnt handle it well and just let it go. If they continue to butter it up like a to a certain cheater/beater/whatever blacks wordsman wannabe(guts is the only black swordsman)

The fans won't abandon it. That badly. especially the bait and stunt that they had done in the previews year and anniversary of the series.
Old 2018-11-04, 10:14   Link #1437
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Partially, to blame (aside from bizzare plot)

To me, the main cause is the publisher. They didnt handle it well and just let it go. If they continue to butter it up like a to a certain cheater/beater/whatever blacks wordsman wannabe(guts is the only black swordsman)

The fans won't abandon it. That badly. especially the bait and stunt that they had done in the previews year and anniversary of the series.
yeah, the main push for SAO was very heavy in recent years, game and collaboration of SAO literally everywhere, SAO also luck out quite a bit with each anime season decently paced with relatively small gap.
Old 2018-11-30, 01:50   Link #1438
salamander750

So, I just saw the list of the best selling light novels of 2018, here is the list:

1. Overlord - 807,693
2. Konosuba - 630,889
3. Mahouka - 626,952
4. Re:Zero - 619,031
5. Slime - 539,277
6. Ryuo's Work is Never Done - 478,242
7. SAO Progressive - 426,794
8. Classroom of the Elite - 393,949
9. SAO - 371,626
10. NGNL - 350,960

Which sadden me that Index doesn't even get to 100,000 copies this year. And the new anime surely doesn't help either. So, what can be done to get Index back to the top guys?
salamander750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-30, 07:38   Link #1439
tsunade666

Impossible. Index won't be the same like before. It won't be back on top.
Old 2018-11-30, 07:59   Link #1440
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^Yeah, salamander750. What were you thinking?