AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-22, 22:12   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Do you eat meat?

Discuss!

Blame Nogitsune for making me start this topic, out of a series of partially off-topic posts in the environmental thread concerning cows.

Anyway!

Do you eat meat? Or are you a vegetarian, or a vegan? If you don't eat meat, is it a preference thing? Do you just not like the taste of it, or is it a moral stance you take? Do you believe it's cruel and unnecessary for humans to use animal-derived products?

As for me, I do in fact eat meat. I find that meat tastes very good, and I would not want to live without eating meat. Furthermore, I also use many secondary animal-derived products such as dairy, gelatin and eggs as well as buy leather goods.

I don't think this is cruel or have any problem with it. All life must kill in order to live. As long as we make sure the animals are treated and slaughtered humanely, I fail to see an issue with it.

But perhaps you do have issues with it. That's what I'd like to hear about.

Now the meat industry, I have quite a few problems with it. Specifically, I'm not very fond of cramming them into small cages and pumping them full of chemicals in order to make them grow much larger and much faster than normal.

"Altered" meats usually don't taste as good as more naturally-raised livestock. As a person who has spent most of her adult life working as a cook, the loss of quality from "mass-produced" meat products is deplorable.

For instance, the cheapest type of chicken available is often soggy and tasteless. Free-range, organic chicken may be smaller in breast size, but the meat will be much more flavorful and of a much higher general quality. In my experience this translates to a much happier customer. Monster portions of tasteless food don't satisfy nearly as well as modest portions of delicious food, after all.

So please... discuss eating meat, or not eating meat, and the reasons why you do or don't!
Old 2009-10-22, 22:16   Link #2
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I love meat, meat makes my life worth living. I don't consider a meal to be a meal unless theres a slab of dead animal in front of me.

I have no problems with Vegetarians doing it for health reasons, but those who do it cause they think eating meat is morally wrong... all I can do is roll my eyes.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 22:19   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I don't have to have meat with every meal, and oftentimes I don't eat meat at all for days. But there will be times when I just really gotta have a steak. Rare, please. ^^;
Old 2009-10-22, 22:20   Link #4
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I have to have meat at least once a day. But, not too much. Everything in moderation.
Old 2009-10-22, 22:21   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I eat meat around 4 times a week, if not more. I try eating little bit of everything, but some vegetables are just biologically rejected, so I get to try out pasta, eggs, rice or potatoes along with meat.
I don't have time to consider it morally wrong, I need a full stomach in order to get my H/W done and time is pressing, as always.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 22:22   Link #6
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Oh good bloody gods, my totem animal is a Wolf, I LOVE meat, the rarer the better...

I keep poking my husband into getting his bow hunting license so he can supply me with venison.

Then again, we believe in using as much of the animal as possible. We do leather working, so the hide would be put to use after tanning, etc
I can't bring myself to support hunting just for sh*ts and giggles; it seems wasteful. And I dislike the meat industry, but where I live there's not a lot of options to get meat in other ways, especially not on the lowered income we're on right now, till I get a job.

I also agree with the free-range thing; I have had to reduce my spending on such things since losing my job, but the difference is astounding... Not to mention I dislike putting artificial stuff into my body (I take a holistic approach to most things), so it seems silly to avoid man made medicines, etc only to put man made chemicals in me by way of my food.

One of the loves of my life is vegetarian, and I'm OK with that; I just could never do it. When she visits, we have an agreement: the top shelf of the fridge is hers for however long she's visiting, and we have a couple of pots/pans reserved for her use so there's no icky meaty germs in it (LOL j/k).
She cooks for us, though, and has even made a chicken dish, so she doesn't try to force her views/lifestyle on others.

Vegetarians hate going to dinner with me, as I generally order a med. rare steak and then they turn green at the yummy juices

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 22:33   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I actually am quite fond of vegetarian dishes and vegetarian foods. I love black bean burgers, sometimes I even prefer them over a real hamburger.

A lot of times I just boil some pasta and eat it with butter, herbs, garlic and parmesan cheese. Easy, quick, tasty.

While I do love meat, I don't need to have it every day. ^^;
Old 2009-10-22, 22:35   Link #8
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I actually get pretty tempermental if I don't eat meat for a day
Old 2009-10-22, 22:41   Link #9
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

..... Yes
Old 2009-10-22, 22:41   Link #10
LusterFlare
Lost.

I don't eat beef or pork anymore since my cholesterol is a bit up. Usually just fish, sometimes chicken.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 22:43   Link #11
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
I don't eat beef or pork anymore since my cholesterol is a bit up. Usually just fish, sometimes chicken.
At 18?! O_o wow... I feel for you... did you love meat? T-T
Old 2009-10-22, 22:45   Link #12
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
At 18?! O_o wow... I feel for you... did you love meat? T-T
Sometimes its hereditary, I think (likely wrong on that lol I'm studying Psychology, not internal medicine)

I keep getting harassed by my mother about getting mine checked etc... because she had a heart attack at like 52. Then again, her stupid arse smoked, ate like crap and sat on her arse all day... but hey

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 22:46   Link #13
Gin
*Artist

I've probably eaten at least 12 different kinds of animal. I love meat.
Old 2009-10-22, 22:49   Link #14
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I also eat meat but not everyday.

Having a good barbecue during the weekend, is a well loved tradition here in my city.

Spicy Chicken is also one of my favorite dishes.
Old 2009-10-22, 22:50   Link #15
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
I've probably eaten at least 12 different kinds of animal. I love meat.
Speaking of different animals heres a list of animals I ate and enjoyed (not including seafood):

Cow
Chicken
Alligator
Quiel
Buffalo
Boar
Pig
Deer
Moose
Squirrel
Frog
Turtle ( actually, this upsetted me very much cause I love turtles )
Duck
Geese

hmm... I'm sure theres more but thats the general gist.
Old 2009-10-22, 22:54   Link #16
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Abso-freaking-lutly I eat meat. I generally only eat it as a course for my dinner since that's the only consistent meal I eat. Have to settle for cereal or some pop-tarts whenever I eat brunch, but I still love me some bacon and sausage when I can get it.

I could use a rack of BBQ ribs right now.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 22:57   Link #17
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I tend to eat parts which don't require the use of hands, especially when I'm dining outside. It does get a bit messy, eating with your hands.
Old 2009-10-22, 23:00   Link #18
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Right now I'm eating brats and drinking a beer.

This is how life was meant to be lived.
Old 2009-10-22, 23:02   Link #19
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I could never enjoy beer. Maybe, that's why I am not really carnivorous.
Old 2009-10-22, 23:02   Link #20
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I am an advid meat lover (although pasta is still my favorite of all meals). However I tend to stay away from what i call messy meat, as in meat you have to constantly touch with your hands to consume.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote