AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-22, 23:58   Link #1
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Hunter x Hunter (1999)

Yeah I know this is ooooooooold news... but I can't help it, this series is too good to let it go without any of my famous comments

So well by now in 21 years of living history I have seen 5 good action/adventure animes worth watching:

1: Saint Seiya.

2. Berserk.

3. Naruto.

4. Dragon Ball

and 5. Hunter x Hunter.

I started downloading this anime because of the spontaneous comments that I frequently read in this forum about the show. And well, once I started downloading the first 5 episodes I knew that the author of this series cares about the story line a lot. Although, the beginning of the series is rather slow it will increasingly start picking up. The importance of this steady but increasing progress in the story line is what makes this anime an instant classic. I must say that Hunter X Hunter has the best and most developed story line in any anime that I've ever seen. This anime has an interesting way of revealing itself as it moves on. It focuses strongly in character development taking it to another level. The viewer gets to know each of the characters presented along the story, even a temporary character whose time lap in the story line is bound to be no more than 3 minutes is given at least an opportunity to show the way he perceives and react towards his situation. This is an element that Saint Seiya has also accomplished. Deep character development is a VERY important asset for the success of an anime because once the viewer is given the insides of each character he is also given the sensation that there is a human touch in every one of them, which ultimately creates a surprising strong bond between the character and the viewer. That is why I became a Saint Seiya freak and let me tell that Hunter x Hunter is not too far away from making that same effect in me (Including Berserk).

But Deep Character development is not all that Hunter X Hunter has to offer, There is are also many new and innovative concepts that are quite fascinating.

1. The concept of being a Hunter. (This is most relevant new concept. I don't want to spoil anything but you get to realise what a real Hunter is once you get the end of the series)

2. The Nen concept. (If there is a power force called Cosmos in Saint Seiya, Ki for Dragon Ball, and Chakra for Naruto well there is a power force called Nen for Hunter x Hunter. But let me tell you that this is a very interesting concept that is much more complex than chakra, ki or cosmos)

3. The analytic concept. (Remember Kakashi explaining carefully to his clueless students what chakra is ?, or do you remember Detective Conan solving a mysterious case? Well HxH goes beyond that point. It is a thoughtful anime)

In other words, if this new stuff doesn't attract you then once you get to know cool characters, such as Kilua, Hisoka, Kuraprika, or Kilua's Brother you will be totally attached to the series and I can guarantee that

I hope that by reading this post you will feel more motivated to try this splendid anime

Enjoy!

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2005-01-04 at 13:08.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 00:07   Link #2
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

You again . This is more of a suggestion an should be in the suggestions subforum and not in the fansub subforum.
Old 2004-01-23, 00:21   Link #3
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Actually I think you are wrong Massugu Ni Ikou is much better, or Rose of Versailles.

But Imo the best action series ever is Kokoro Library. That show is packed with action packed battles. I can't believe that such an amazing anime has been created! Oh god just download it right now, you'll thank me.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 00:25   Link #4
Red HamsterX
Eien no ai~

Send a message via ICQ to Red HamsterX
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
Actually I think you are wrong Massugu Ni Ikou is much better, or Rose of Versailles.

But Imo the best action series ever is Kokoro Library. That show is packed with action packed battles. I can't believe that such an amazing anime has been created! Oh god just download it right now, you'll thank me.
I couldn't agree more.

If you like the intense, hardcore, never-ending action of Kokoro Library, you might also want to consider getting Piano. It isn't quite as jam-packed with edge-of-your-seat inducing action, but it's the next best thing.

Last edited by Red HamsterX; 2004-01-23 at 00:53.
Red HamsterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 01:38   Link #5
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

See I got a little problem with not famous anime, and the problem is that I feel as if that kind of anime is only directed towards japanese people. I mean that It never goes out of japan. The problem with that "weird" anime is that I don't usually understand or get the "feeling" of it. It is just a completely different culture to me in many ways.

I ONLY watch anime that is famous because if it is famous it means that it is good simple. (But this only applies for TV shows because of course there are many other things that are good and they don't need to be famous)

So:

Famous = Good

No famous = Bad

But anyways, Hunter X Hunter is an instand classic without any doubt, so I really suggest you to watch it.
Old 2004-01-23, 01:47   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
But anyways, Hunter X Hunter is an instand classic without any doubt, so I really suggest you to watch it.
Aren't you giving HxH a little too much credit? I've been reading the manga lately, and it is good, but I wouldn't call it a classic. It's standard shonen action fare for the most part, but it does have it's moments. Still I'm suprised it isn't talked about on this forum, especially with the recent ova which, I believe, concludes the greed island chapter.
Old 2004-01-23, 02:26   Link #7
babbito2k
annoying white bat

INSTANT CLASSIC!? No such thing! Regardless of the purported um attributes of this title (which I saw a long time ago and dislike), anything that has been made as recently as 5 years ago just has gotta WAIT ITS DAMN TURN...
In Japan they are still making up their minds about stuff from 10 years ago, and rightly so.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 02:31   Link #8
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi

1st bold: Dear god no, I can't stand those blinding eyes. At least HunterxHunter doesn't have that. I can give it that much credit.

2nd bold: Librarians with Submachine guns?! I MUST HAVE IT.

I watched HunterxHunter. It looked like a crapified VoH, I mean.. come on. Its the usual " I kill your parents, you become my friend, then you find out later, and.... yeah." Thats sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naruto/whatever addict
1: Saint Seiya.

2. Berserk.

3. Naruto.

4. Dragon Ball

and 5. Hunter x Hunter.
"You! Invaders! Come get the hot bullets of shotgun to die!"
Erm, this is why people don't take your opinion so seriously. You listed every (At least) 3 average animes, and HxH i'd count too, making 4, never seen SS.
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 02:37   Link #9
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti

Erm, this is why people don't take your opinion so seriously. You listed every (At least) 3 average animes, and HxH i'd count too, making 4, never seen SS.
Hey... he at least listed Naruto, which is an awesome anime series.

Sugetsu- May I ask why are you wasting your time posting these kind of threads. Its painfully obvious nobody cares very much, for instance just read some of the replies here.
Old 2004-01-23, 02:41   Link #10
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
1st bold: Dear god no, I can't stand those blinding eyes. At least HunterxHunter doesn't have that. I can give it that much credit.

2nd bold: Librarians with Submachine guns?! I MUST HAVE IT.

I watched HunterxHunter. It looked like a crapified VoH, I mean.. come on. Its the usual " I kill your parents, you become my friend, then you find out later, and.... yeah." Thats sick.

this is not supposed to become a battle field but if you don't like the anime that I listed then you are a totally anime loser (SERIOUSLY) go and watch pokemon

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-01-23 at 14:19.
Old 2004-01-23, 02:47   Link #11
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Hey... he at least listed Naruto, which is an awesome anime series.

Sugetsu- May I ask why are you wasting your time posting these kind of threads. It painfully obvious nobody cares very much, for instance just read some of the replies here.
Let the children be...

In another words I could care less... If some don't like it who cares that's not the intention of this post anyways... it is to let people know that HxH is definetely a good series that's all

Edited: by the way you are the one who does not care, if you don't like the post simply don't post that's all

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2005-01-04 at 13:13.
Old 2004-01-23, 02:52   Link #12
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
this is not suppose to become a battle field but if you don't like the anime that I listed then you are a totally anime loser (SERIOUSLY) go and watch pokemon
*cough*
*Leaves Thread before he can think of a counter insult*
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 03:03   Link #13
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
this is not suppose to become a battle field but if you don't like the anime that I listed then you are a totally anime loser (SERIOUSLY) go and watch pokemon
This is what I object to about your threads. The only thing people are allowed to do is bow before your infinite wisdom. You want to come on like the hero in some kid's anime and unveil your secret super-duper weapon at the last second and blow away the gang of cowardly enemies...

Frankly I think that you cannot distinguish between that which you like and that which is great. You are certainly entitled to what you like but if you are going to claim it is great then you are bound to get some argument.

You would be better off just putting up shrines to your favorite shows on a website. You could hold court about the psychological depth of Saint Seiya or whatever (nothing wrong with that) without having to pause to swat at the groundlings (which is tiresome to watch).
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 03:36   Link #14
NeverRamza

Several things:

1. Hunter X Hunter is really good and a bit better than the average fighting shonen.

2. Another good fighting shonen anime is Yu Yu Hakusho, which just happens to be by the same creator as Hunter X Hunter (t was made before). Flame of Recca is okay, but it gets very dull at parts (it's kind of a guilty pleasure I suppose).

3. Some of the better anime in Japan is not all that popular. Do we really need so many harem animes? How about another season of Berserk? Oh wait, it didn't get good enough ratings for that. And where's my new Narutaru?

4. The popular anime shows in Japan are not all that great. What's on top right now? That 300 billion episode detective show with that little kid... Detective Conan whatever? Oh, and of course, the good old pirate fighter One Piece. These shows more or less kinda suck.

5. I hate Rose of Versailles.
NeverRamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 03:56   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Just because someone doesn't like the same anime you do doesn't make them a loser. You have to admit, your taste in anime is kind of limited. Try watching some different types. You saw KGNE and liked it right? Did you expect to when you first heard what it was about? I'm sure there are a lot of anime like that out there. Besides Pokemon would be good, if it was more like Narutaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverRamza
Do we really need so many harem animes?
Yes. Yes we do.
oh, and Disgaea rocks. Best strategy rpg to come around in a while.
Old 2004-01-23, 04:00   Link #16
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Long live Harem animes!!!
Old 2004-01-23, 07:51   Link #17
a_nevels666

You could probably have posted this in one of the other HxH threads...anyway:

I think everyone should just calm down.

Hunter x Hunter is a good show. It's one of the better shounen fighting/adventure anime and anyone who likes the other anime you mentioned will like Hunter x Hunter.

However, you should realize different people have different tastes and there are lots of people who detest the shounen fighting anime genre. (Not me though...)
That doesn't mean they are losers or they suck, it just means they like different things than you.

Since you'll probably never agree about this, just ignore them.

What's the point of starting a flame war about whether something like Rose of Versailles is better than Hunter x Hunter since they're not even in the same genre.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 12:25   Link #18
bobofet
Blue Pheasant

not trying to go offtopic or anything but if anything is overrated it's Naruto. (hides from all the fanboys going berserk). Honestly naruto has received more publicity in the fansub community than every other series, I really don't know why. I mean I like the series and all but it's strange how everyone goes bunkers for naruto and not for other great series like HxH or One Piece. (Honestly HxH and One Piece most likely are more popular amongst Japan's jump mag readers than Naruto)
bobofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 12:27   Link #19
d0d0lee
だいおもしろ

What can i say, i love hunter x hunter = )

Quote Deralti
I mean.. come on. Its the usual " I kill your parents, you become my friend, then you find out later, and.... yeah." Thats sick.

??? What are you talking about?? Which friend killed whose parents???

Anyway,even as i really like a lot of different animes, think this anime has really good graphics and music, prefer it alot to the manga...

Anyway, if possible, please support the original if you really like the series.
d0d0lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 14:16   Link #20
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
This is what I object to about your threads. The only thing people are allowed to do is bow before your infinite wisdom. You want to come on like the hero in some kid's anime and unveil your secret super-duper weapon at the last second and blow away the gang of cowardly enemies...

Frankly I think that you cannot distinguish between that which you like and that which is great. You are certainly entitled to what you like but if you are going to claim it is great then you are bound to get some argument.

You would be better off just putting up shrines to your favorite shows on a website. You could hold court about the psychological depth of Saint Seiya or whatever (nothing wrong with that) without having to pause to swat at the groundlings (which is tiresome to watch).
When I post something is because I'm sure of what I said. Hunter X Hunter is a GREAT series. And If I said that it is great is because I explain and support my ideas. So I'm not being emotional but instead I'm showing the bases for what I like or dislike. I always do. I don't like to say YES or NO. That's just too shallow I always give a reason of what I like.

By the way I already have a web page of saint seiya look at the botton of signature

Peace to all.