AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-04-13, 13:13   Link #8061
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
So we unconditionally agreed that Kyon is a total effeminate-man-moe?
No, that the maid outfit would have that effect on anyone.

FEAR ITS POWER.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 13:30   Link #8062
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I have NO idea...

I do know what I'm going to do with Adult Mitsuuru, though...

I'd actually like some consensus on the whole Yuuki thing before I begin. I want to do it, but if everyone is opposed to it I'll somehow figure out a legitimate way for Haruki to want to end the world. After all, Mitsuuru isn't enough of a threat or a reason.
Seeing as a fanmade product based on an original will never be perfectly the same, and given part of this project's charm lies in exploring how things would develop differently if all the characters' genders were reversed (that and the fact that it's so very funny ... ^^), I say go with Yuuki. Yes, I may be biased, but I'm also really curious how it will work out.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 13:39   Link #8063
walviss

Quote:
I have NO idea...

I'd actually like some consensus on the whole Yuuki thing before I begin. I want to do it, but if everyone is opposed to it I'll somehow figure out a legitimate way for Haruki to want to end the world. After all, Mitsuuru isn't enough of a threat or a reason.
I mean, I honestly still prefer the Yuuki angle. Disregarding subsequent novels, I think it all fits together very well in the context of this one. And frankly I like the fact that it might lead to trouble down the line, because I want to read Kyonko's story, not a redux of Kyon's. But it might also lead you into a corner out of which you won't be able to write. There are no guarantees, except that the closer you stick to the source, the more likely you are to avoid such a corner. So I'm not going to be upset or anything if it doesn't make it in. Being a newcomer I don't even know if you're looking for consensus from me , but for the record you'll have my support writing either angle.
walviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 13:40   Link #8064
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Quote:
No, that the maid outfit would have that effect on anyone.

FEAR ITS POWER.
The crack is mightier than the maid.

And don't forget to read that fic.
Kagedanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 13:41   Link #8065
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:
I have NO idea...

To be fair, there is some hint of Haruhi/Yuki jealousy at this point in time. When Haruhi asks Yuki what happened to her glassess, Yuki answers with a long stare at Kyon. Very suspicious. Along with the pairings during the weekend supernatural hunt and the Mikuru incident the next day, all these probably made Haruhi wonder if she had assembled Kyon's harem for him.

Its only natural if the relationships look different in seitenkan. IMO, it may not be the main reason for Haruki's melancholy, but the Mitsuuru incident should still trigger it, to preserve some element of Haruki/Mitsuuru jealousy necessary for the later stories.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 13:45   Link #8066
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
To be fair, there is some hint of Haruhi/Yuki jealousy at this point in time. When Haruhi asks Yuki what happened to her glassess, Yuki answers with a long stare at Kyon. Very suspicious. Along with the pairings during the weekend supernatural hunt and the Mikuru incident the next day, all these probably made Haruhi wonder if she had assembled Kyon's harem for him.

Its only natural if the relationships look different in seitenkan. IMO, it may not be the main reason for Haruki's melancholy, but the Mitsuuru incident should still trigger it, to preserve some element of Haruki/Mitsuuru jealousy necessary for the later stories.
...Heh...reverse harem...XD
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 13:52   Link #8067
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
...Heh...reverse harem...XD
Do I hear the call of the wild Ouran high school host club fan ...?
Old 2008-04-13, 14:10   Link #8068
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
Do I hear the call of the wild Ouran high school host club fan ...?
Possibly...

...But I've never watched the show. XD
Old 2008-04-13, 14:40   Link #8069
Red225

It's the same old question; while sticking roughly to the original novels is needed, just simply replacing the names and genders of the entire story is hardly going to make for a good read. While I think Taniguchi taking pictures is a bit overboard (I mean, original Taniguchi was gentleman enough to apologise, and it didn't sound like he spread the word around) I really DO see Yuuki appearing more of a knight in shining armour to Kyonko, more so than Yuki did to Kyon. As well as that, isn't Kyon-chan supposed to be more maternal than anything else to Mitsuru? At least, that's how I pegged it... Both of those tend to put the romance-meter towards Yuuki's side, at least in my view.

Then again, it wasn't just a single action that set Haruhi off in the first place; most likely Kyon being generally insolent, Nagato's glasses vanishing for a reason Kyon won't divulgue, and it's only the trigger of the computer mouse-grab scene that pushes it over the edge. So, in a reverse, you just set up a major incident with Nagato, and a minor one for Asahina.
Red225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 14:51   Link #8070
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red225 View Post
....While I think Taniguchi taking pictures is a bit overboard (I mean, original Taniguchi was gentleman enough to apologise, and it didn't sound like he spread the word around).....
Hm...here's a thought. Perhaps Taniguchi(f) would take the picture(s) by reflex? That is, she'd do the same "wa-wa-wa-wasuremono" thing that Taniguchi(m) did, and then would stare in astonishment at the scene with Yuuki and Kyon while (without thinking) bringing out her phone and taking a picture or two. Then she'd come to her senses and shout "Sorry!!" or something and run away. What happens to the picture(s) after that would be up to Taniguchi(f).

Last edited by Cat Megex; 2008-04-13 at 15:44.
Old 2008-04-13, 15:33   Link #8071
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Hm...here's a thought. Perhaps Taniguchi(f) would take the picture(s) by reflex? That is, she'd do the same "wa-wa-wa-wasuremono" thing that Taniguchi(m) did, and then would stare in astonishment at the scene with Yuuki and Kyon while (without thinking) bringing out her phone and taking a picture. Then she'd come to her senses and shout "Sorry!!" or something and run away. What happens to the picture(s) after that would be up to Taniguchi(f).
Hmmm, that might work out nicely! When Taniguchi (either one) sees the scene in the classroom, there's this moment of cerebral shutdown. During this moment, Taniguchi(f)'s hands could operate on auto-pilot and snap a picture or two. Once reason (such as it is) reasserts itself, she gets embarrassed. Even if she's 'the libby', she doesn't seem spiteful enough to actually do anything with such pictures. She might delete them, or just give them to Kyon -- or download them into the SOS Dan's computer, to show Kyon she isn't planning anything with them ..?
Old 2008-04-13, 15:46   Link #8072
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Hmmm, that might work out nicely! When Taniguchi (either one) sees the scene in the classroom, there's this moment of cerebral shutdown. During this moment, Taniguchi(f)'s hands could operate on auto-pilot and snap a picture or two. Once reason (such as it is) reasserts itself, she gets embarrassed. Even if she's 'the libby', she doesn't seem spiteful enough to actually do anything with such pictures. She might delete them, or just give them to Kyon -- or download them into the SOS Dan's computer, to show Kyon she isn't planning anything with them ..?
Kyon-chan's going to demand them at the start of Chapter 7.
Old 2008-04-13, 15:50   Link #8073
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Kyon-chan's going to demand them at the start of Chapter 7.
Spoilers make me drool for more writings to read, y'know. ... How much longer do you think you'll need for the much-anticipated part six? Incidentally, if Taniguchi downloads the photos into the SOS Dan computer, Kyon would have another reason to play keep-away with the mouse against Mitsuuru ... and a solid reason for her not to want Haruki to see what's in the Himitsu file.
Old 2008-04-13, 15:53   Link #8074
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Spoilers make me drool for more writings to read, y'know. ... How much longer do you think you'll need for the much-anticipated part six? Incidentally, if Taniguchi downloads the photos into the SOS Dan computer, Kyon would have another reason to play keep-away with the mouse against Mitsuuru ... and a solid reason for her not to want Haruki to see what's in the Himitsu file.
Until I get more people agreeing/disagreeing with me about the Yuuki thing.

And yeah, bingo. And the folder was actually titled "MIKURU" in the anime, so...

Oh, and I have a way for Haruki to find out about the pictures without Kyon closing the window first...
Old 2008-04-13, 16:02   Link #8075
Aebliss
Story Master

Quote:
Until I get more people agreeing/disagreeing with me about the Yuuki thing.

And yeah, bingo. And the folder was actually titled "MIKURU" in the anime, so...

Oh, and I have a way for Haruki to find out about the pictures without Kyon closing the window first...
I shall look forward to seeing it.
Old 2008-04-13, 17:47   Link #8076
Discreet
The Fascist

Well, my position has already been laid out, but why is it being assumed that Yuuki presents more of a threat than Mitsuru?

I think we're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Rather than the perspective of the reader and fan, we have to look at this from the eyes of Haruki, now why would he view Yuuki as more of a threat than Mitsuru?

The only answer I can think of is that it's because Yuuki looks manlier, but that doesn't mean Kyonko would like him more than Mitsuru, especially not in Haruki's eyes.

This is the second time I've said this, but other than that one moment if it is implemented than Haruki will have NEVER witnessed Yuuki and Kyonko interacting in any way. While I can think of at least three occasions off the top of my head where Mitsuru had been the one to get in between Haruki and Kyonko in some way or another. Hell, there are even scenes where Haruki sees Kyonko blushing at Mitsuru undressing or getting dressed up or being all dressed up.

I hate Mitsuru. I hate Mikuru. And I love both the Yuki's as much as I hate Mikuru/Mitsuru. But this is taking the original work, its design and the relationships within too far. I absolutely cannot agree with the Yuuki scenario.

So please, why is it being assumed that Yuuki will seem more like a threat to Haruki than Mitsuru?

Last edited by Discreet; 2008-04-13 at 18:02.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 18:14   Link #8077
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
This is the second time I've said this, but other than that one moment if it is implemented than Haruki will have NEVER witnessed Yuuki and Kyonko interacting in any way. While I can think of at least three occasions off the top of my head where Mitsuru had been the one to get in between Haruki and Kyonko in some way or another. Hell, there are even scenes where Haruki sees Kyonko blushing at Mitsuru undressing or getting dressed up or being all dressed up.
Kyon-chan and Yuuki went to the library together, remember? Kyon-chan even responded to Haruki on the phone with "I just woke up."

Sure, Kyon-chan has blushed at Mitsuuru in the maid outfit, but, for that matter, so has Haruki... and it's not like Haruki himself can't have a similar effect on Kyon-chan when he strips...

Mitsuuru isn't a threat because he's basically a cuter version of Shinji Ikari, and Haruki recognizes this.

When I first started writing this, I knew that the way Mitsuuru was portrayed would make him unattractive (sexually) towards girls like Kyon-chan, so I knew there'd be problems with the story later...

The thing is that Mikuru is a threat to Haruhi because she's sexually desirable to Kyon... it doesn't work the same way when genderbended.

It's not like this will have much of an overall effect anyway on the story, as later stories focus almost exclusively on Haruhi's jealousy of Yuki anyway.
Old 2008-04-13, 19:27   Link #8078
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Quote:
Mitsuuru isn't a threat because he's basically a cuter version of Shinji Ikari....
...o_o Gah. Imagining Mitsuuru as Shinji is freaky.
Old 2008-04-13, 19:31   Link #8079
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
...o_o Gah. Imagining Mitsuuru as Shinji is freaky.
Well, they are both doormats...
Old 2008-04-13, 19:40   Link #8080
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Quote:
Well, they are both doormats...
No, I meant...imagining Mitsuuru in the same situations as Shinji is freaky (and using "freaky" to mean "kinda strange/weird/creepy/scary". That is, thinking of Mitsuuru piloting a giant cyborg that tends to go berserk is kinda freaky.).

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan