Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-03, 17:03   Link #121
unasuvas
Follower of Lambdadelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycountess View Post
Now if I could understand why in some of the strips he is portrayed as a little (adorable!) kid... Isn't Greece one of the oldest countries in the world?
Actually, Greece in Hetalia is the son of Old Greece (Mama Greece/Ancient Greece/Classical Greece/etc.) who he mentions in this strip. It's like how the Italy bros. Grandpa is Roma Antiqua (Ancient Rome) and how chibi-Germany Holy Roman Empire's father is Germania (the Germanic tribes).

So (modern) Greece himself is actually pretty young compared to people like China who is 4000 years old or something.
Old 2009-01-04, 12:34   Link #122
Crontica

Lol im adding this to my watch list, this looks interesting.
Old 2009-01-10, 19:16   Link #123
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I am definitely looking forward to this as I dont know much about the manga I am going to assume its a gag manga . The main U.S.P. of this show is very unique story , I will probably watch the first episode and see if its my kind of show . I had come across this thread sometime back but was too lazy to post : D
Old 2009-01-12, 16:55   Link #124
primuler
Love For 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
On that note, I hope this show will be able to air on TV easily without being pulled for offending someone...
Well, the sad news is, it already offended quite a number of people... under name of 'history&culture distortion'.

Last edited by primuler; 2009-01-12 at 17:11.
primuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 10:23   Link #125
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Koreans Demand Hetalia Cancellation Over Breast Touching

Quote:
Furious Koreans have begun an effort to force the Japanese broadcaster of WWII parody anime Axis Powers Hetalia to cancel the series, based on angry accusations that its political satire dares to impugn the mighty nation of Korea.However, the broadcaster points out that the “Korea” character doesn’t actually appear in the TV version at all…

Quote:
The controversy itself stems from some scenes in the manga (or web comic) which skewer Korean nationalism. In one scene which has Korean board goers particularly riled, Hetalia’s Korea says to Japan (both are male): “Let me touch your breasts”, after which Korea grabs the chest of Japan, screaming “banzai”.

Korean net users have insisted that the breasts in this scene are an unpardonable symbollic reference to the what they see as the traditionally Korean heartland of Dokdo/Takeshima/the Liancourt rocks, a few disputed rocks in the middle of the Sea of Japan (or “East Sea” if more angry Koreans are to be believed).

Another lampoon and subsequent complaint is in the form of Hetalia’s Korea being prone to claim all manner of culture as in fact being of Korean origin (there are in fact odd claims emanating from Korea to that effect).We seem to be spared the more extreme protests relatively common in Korea, but the petition to cancel the anime has already attracted 12,000 signatures in but a day.The broadcaster, Kids Station, claims ignorance: “We didn’t know about the Korean criticism. Even so, the ‘Korea’ character does not actually appear in the anime version.”The news has now even been picked up by the likes of Yomiuri…Hetalia itself, set to air soon, loosely based around WWII, but with the characters being personifications of their various countries, features a wide variety of similar parodies based on supposed national characteristics. On these, the Koreans in question are strangely silent…

It should be interesting to see what becomes of the claims and accusations made against the show; surely they will not fold over something so trifling?
Credits : Sankaku Complex
Old 2009-01-13, 19:23   Link #126
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Geta Boshi, you beat me to it. I hardly have enough information to comment myself, but it seems that the breast touching/Liancourt Rocks issue is just one of many that other Koreans seem to be offended. For example:
  1. Korea is shown wearing "Japanese" clothes.
  2. He seems to be carrying a Japanese flag with him all the time.
  3. It's being broadcast on a TV station called キッズステーション (Kid's Station), so this shouldn't be considered "just a freak silly anime." Think of the "mis-educated children"!
This whole thing got out of hand when non-anime watchers, who understandably would freak out at a guy character fondling another's chest, found out about this "issue." And the third bullet above is just false, since it's supposed to broadcast at what 1am?

Off topic:
Quote:
.We seem to be spared the more extreme protests relatively common in Korea
Awww, come on. We really aren't *that* bad. Maybe just a tad frequent. Our protests are certainly more peaceful than many others that I've seen in Europe.
Old 2009-01-13, 19:55   Link #127
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Geta Boshi, you beat me to it. I hardly have enough information to comment myself, but it seems that the breast touching/Liancourt Rocks issue is just one of many that other Koreans seem to be offended. For example:
  1. Korea is shown wearing "Japanese" clothes.
  2. He seems to be carrying a Japanese flag with him all the time.
  3. It's being broadcast on a TV station called キッズステーション (Kid's Station), so this shouldn't be considered "just a freak silly anime." Think of the "mis-educated children"!
This whole thing got out of hand when non-anime watchers, who understandably would freak out at a guy character fondling another's chest, found out about this "issue." And the third bullet above is just false, since it's supposed to broadcast at what 1am?

Off topic:
Awww, come on. We really aren't *that* bad. Maybe just a tad frequent. Our protests are certainly more peaceful than many others that I've seen in Europe.
Looks like Hanbok to me.
First time hearing about this anime or the manga. And I don't see how touching other men's breast symbolize Dokdo, I really think this is over analyzing. Though I know nothing about the work but after reading the summary it doesn't seem offensive.
I also read a new about this in ANN and it says
Quote:
The protestors say that part of the story, which re-imagines various historical eras but focuses mainly on the World Wars, is insulting to Koreans. As of Monday, one portal site has collected 10,000 names in protest.
To be honest if that is the case I can somewhat understand. For us the World War II era is very touchy subject and really the depiction like this is not something we would be happy about.
Also oh wow even though I never post in ANN but some of the posts I read on this news are very ignorant.
Old 2009-01-13, 20:04   Link #128
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Personally, I think the crew knows that they will be "stepping" on many toes, and simply don't listen to rabid talk. They knew it's ok, they're at peace with whatever higher authority they believe in, and they just run the show. And I say: Kudos.
Old 2009-01-13, 20:24   Link #129
blue skies
noch einmal?

I don't see what the hot fuss is all about. The very foundation Hetalia is based on could be considered offensive -- the Japan/Korea man-boob-touching isn't really a big deal in the scheme of things. For God's sake, Hetalia makes fun of/parodies every country. If people are so offended, why don't they just, you know, not watch or read it?

yezhanquan took the words right out of my mouth. The animators should just run the show regardless of who gets their panties in a twist, and kudos to them for doing it. I love the manga (web comic, whatever) like nothing else. I can't wait to see the anime.
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 20:29   Link #130
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Also, remember that one anime episode is 5 minutes long. If one manga strip or 5 minutes of animation (note: not blatant insulting in the vein of the Danish prophet cartoons) can "undermine" a people, it says more about the people than anything else.
Old 2009-01-13, 23:09   Link #131
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Why did I automatically come to the conclusion Hetalia + protest = ahh, Koreans again? (ノ∀`)

But then again, they are the same people who cried bloody racism when Stephen Colbert did a KPOP video against RAIN www
Geez, seriously get over and have some fun and take it as a joke! Sheesh.

Last edited by kj1980; 2009-01-13 at 23:21.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 23:44   Link #132
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies View Post
I don't see what the hot fuss is all about. The very foundation Hetalia is based on could be considered offensive -- the Japan/Korea man-boob-touching isn't really a big deal in the scheme of things. For God's sake, Hetalia makes fun of/parodies every country. If people are so offended, why don't they just, you know, not watch or read it?

yezhanquan took the words right out of my mouth. The animators should just run the show regardless of who gets their panties in a twist, and kudos to them for doing it. I love the manga (web comic, whatever) like nothing else. I can't wait to see the anime.
You got to look at the view of the Koreans. Like I said before I have never read the manga so I have no idea what they are protesting about. But if it has something to do with depiction of World War II era when Japan colonized Korea then for us it could be quite offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Why did I automatically come to the conclusion Hetalia + protest = ahh, Koreans again? (ノ∀`)

But then again, they are the same people who cried bloody racism when Stephen Colbert did a KPOP video against RAIN www

Oh wow what a way to generalize us, and you are suppose to be a mod Its not that simple the history especially World War II is very deep and it is something not that is easy to get it over with. Oh yeah I suppose we are ignorant mass who thinks that every depiction from foreign country about us is racism. I suppose then I am not Korean, or my sister, for that matter my parents, who found the Rain thing funny and amusing.
Old 2009-01-14, 00:07   Link #133
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Raising up a link five years ago:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...lest#post33405

I felt serious racist vibes talking to that guy back then. Since then, I came to the conclusion that no matter what the Japanese do, Koreans innately hate us. No facts, no figures, nothing will accept the fact that Koreans really just hate us. No, it's not about the past - Koreans hate Japanese and if they could get away with it, most of all Koreans would agree that nuking Japan would be the best thing since sliced bread for them. Revenge for WWII, highly likely. And any single, minor, miniscule thing that Koreans find that could be used against us, they will use it to their advantage.

Whether it be Takeshima or the Sea of Japan, Tsushima or textbooks, and now to Hetalia, whatever it doesn't matter. Koreans just want a pivotal proof to remind themselves why they hate Japan and the Japanese people. It's a vicious cycle which churns hatred and anger, and a sense of pride, nationalism, a sense of good feeling and re-acknowledgment of how Korea is superior to Japan. And the cycle of hatred continues.

Last edited by kj1980; 2009-01-14 at 00:29.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 00:10   Link #134
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Quote:

It's probably because we don't take parodies very well, considering people making fun of the current president on the web got arrested for disgracing the state and such. But in all seriousness, I don't get our national ego, either. It's twice as vulnerable when Japan is involved, but that's kind of understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
You got to look at the view of the Koreans. Like I said before I have never read the manga so I have no idea what they are protesting about. But if it has something to do with depiction of World War II era when Japan colonized Korea then for us it could be quite offensive.
The biggest "fault" I can find is that Korea is too busy trying to "please" the other nations, which "symbolizes colonization sympathizers." I guess this part kinda hurts..

Quote:
I suppose then I am not Korean, or my sister, for that matter my parents, who found the Rain thing funny and amusing.
Thanks, but we have quite of bit of nationalistic ego, and the Rain thing can only be attributed to stupidity on our part I'm a big fan of Stephen Colbert, but that's just me.

EDIT: off topic
Quote:

I felt serious racist vibes talking to that guy back then. Since then, I came to the conclusion that no matter what the Japanese do, Koreans innately hate us. No facts, no figures, nothing will accept the fact that Koreans really just hate us. And any single thing that Koreans find that could be used against us, they will use it to their advantage.
Err.. you do know that "that guy" seems to be a bit, young? Not too many Koreans believe in the "facts" that guy was spewing (which come from a certain ultra-nationalistic pseudo-historian group), although the "chosunjin=insult" comment is still widely accepted as truth.
Old 2009-01-14, 00:15   Link #135
blue skies
noch einmal?

Quote:
Hetalia is basically a WWII-era parody with the countries represented by cute little guys who display (hilariously) the stereotypes of their country. America loves hamburgers, France is a streaker and Russia loves his vodka. It could be offensive for anyone, really. The manga picks on everyone; no country is safe. From what I've seen, there is nothing referencing the Japanese occupation of Korea, but I could be wrong.

Frankly, unless you're very easily offended, I think it'd be hard to get bent out of shape over this series. I laugh my socks off at America. It's so much easier to read it and laugh; I hardly think it's meant to be taken seriously, much less viewed as insulting.

Quote:
Oh wow what a way to generalize us, and you are suppose to be a mod Its not that simple the history especially World War II is very deep and it is something not that is easy to get it over with. Oh yeah I suppose we are ignorant mass who thinks that every depiction from foreign country about us is racism. I suppose then I am not Korean, or my sister, for that matter my parents, who found the Rain thing funny and amusing.
I don't think kj1980 was trying to offend anyone, I think he may have been trying to make a point that some people are taking it a little too seriously. It's just a hilarious little web comic that isn't deliberately insulting. Just as some Koreans took exception to that Stephen Colbert video, I'm sure there were many who found it highly amusing. I think the point was more that people should relax, have some fun and learn that it's good to laugh at themselves sometimes. Lighten up.

And of course, if it offends people that much, there is a simple solution: Don't watch it, don't read it, live happily ever after. :>

EDIT: haha, you guys beat me to it.
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 00:35   Link #136
musouka

Quote:
Koreans just want a pivotal proof to remind themselves why they hate Japan and the Japanese people.
Words fail me.

No, actually, they don't fail me. Perhaps your problem is that you are thinking entirely in generalizations. You want the 'us vs them' to stop? It starts with you.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 01:00   Link #137
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies View Post
Hetalia is basically a WWII-era parody with the countries represented by cute little guys who display (hilariously) the stereotypes of their country. America loves hamburgers, France is a streaker and Russia loves his vodka. It could be offensive for anyone, really. The manga picks on everyone; no country is safe. From what I've seen, there is nothing referencing the Japanese occupation of Korea, but I could be wrong.

Frankly, unless you're very easily offended, I think it'd be hard to get bent out of shape over this series. I laugh my socks off at America. It's so much easier to read it and laugh; I hardly think it's meant to be taken seriously, much less viewed as insulting.

I don't think kj1980 was trying to offend anyone, I think he may have been trying to make a point that some people are taking it a little too seriously. It's just a hilarious little web comic that isn't deliberately insulting. Just as some Koreans took exception to that Stephen Colbert video, I'm sure there were many who found it highly amusing. I think the point was more that people should relax, have some fun and learn that it's good to laugh at themselves sometimes. Lighten up.

And of course, if it offends people that much, there is a simple solution: Don't watch it, don't read it, live happily ever after. :>

EDIT: haha, you guys beat me to it.
You are still not getting it, its not matter of you not getting offended but for Koreans some of this issues is very offensive. Its not matter of sensitive but culture in general. And its not simple just to ignore it and move, you just have to look at from different perspective and you could understand it a bit. Also kj1980 might not be meant offensive but generalizing people is offensive and wrong.

Quote:

I felt serious racist vibes talking to that guy back then. Since then, I came to the conclusion that no matter what the Japanese do, Koreans innately hate us. No facts, no figures, nothing will accept the fact that Koreans really just hate us. No, it's not about the past - Koreans hate Japanese and i they could get away with it, most of all Koreans would agree that nuking Japan would be the best thing since sliced bread for them. Revenge for WWII, highly likely. And any single thing that Koreans find that could be used against us, they will use it to their advantage.

Whether it be Takeshima or the Sea of Japan, Tsushima or textbooks, and now to Hetalia, whatever it doesn't matter. Koreans just want a pivotal proof to remind themselves why they hate Japan and the Japanese people. It's a vicious cycle which churns hatred and anger, and a sense of pride, nationalism, a sense of good feeling and re-acknowledgment of how Korea is superior to Japan. And the cycle of hatred continues.
I will not disagree with your statement, there are many hatred towards Japanese by Koreans in some way we do have innate hatred towards Japan.But I also have to disagree, it is about the past and plus the present. Let me put this in different perspective, if Americans changed their textbook to say bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was completely justified and lied that they only destroyed military complex how would you feel? Would you not feel angry for them lying? How about this would most people think that honoring Nazis acceptable? You have to look at our perspective there are many issues we have with Japan not because we hate them out of no reason but for their actions after World War II.

Do you also think statment like this will make Japan and Korea friendly?
Quote:
Koreans just want a pivotal proof to remind themselves why they hate Japan and the Japanese people
You may blame us for creating hatred but how about you try to look at the fault from Japan? I know Korea have fair share of creating hatred, trust me even from a kid show there are negativity toward Japan. But what about Japan? Do you think Japan did nothing wrong? If you believe so then you are an ignorant person.
And trust me if Koreans want to feel superior to Japan we would not use history, instead we would be looking at things like our success in World Cup, Olympic, our progress over last fifty years, and success of people like Park Ji Sung, Rain, Bae Yong Joon, and Ban Ki Moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
It's probably because we don't take parodies very well, considering people making fun of the current president on the web got arrested for disgracing the state and such. But in all seriousness, I don't get our national ego, either. It's twice as vulnerable when Japan is involved, but that's kind of understandable.

The biggest "fault" I can find is that Korea is too busy trying to "please" the other nations, which "symbolizes colonization sympathizers." I guess this part kinda hurts..

Thanks, but we have quite of bit of nationalistic ego, and the Rain thing can only be attributed to stupidity on our part I'm a big fan of Stephen Colbert, but that's just me.
Can you explain it more clearly please? And well other national ego or pride is too strong and there are quite a few reason for it, mostly the aftermath of World War II lead to the strong nationalism in the country.
Old 2009-01-14, 01:02   Link #138
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Quote:
I felt serious racist vibes talking to that guy back then. Since then, I came to the conclusion that no matter what the Japanese do, Koreans innately hate us.
Quote:
You may blame us for creating hatred but how about you try to look at the fault from Japan? I know Korea have fair share of creating hatred, trust me even from a kid show there are negativity toward Japan. But what about Japan? Do you think Japan did nothing wrong? If you believe so then you are an ignorant person.
Okay, this is derailing too far off topic. The thread is about the Hetalia anime; let's put Koreans off the table for the time being. kj1980, Terrestrial Dream, I suggest we take this private if you wish.

On with your regular programming, folks.
Old 2009-01-14, 10:35   Link #139
cyth
Banned

Seems like the protest has paid off for Koreans. What's left, crappy Animate TV sources?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 13:24   Link #140
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*Sits in a corner while the fire rages around him, idly making circles with his finger*

No Dutch-tan. *sniffles*
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy