AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2011-01-16, 21:47   Link #1
Midonin
Last Engage

Midonin's Stories

There's a very real possibility that I'll be writing stories for more fandoms, now that I'm back in the game, and having them consolidated in one spot does have its conveniences. Just need to find a balance between advertising them enough and not being intrusive.

Anyhow, this is my first work, a K-ON! piece titled Countermelody!. Wrote it mostly as a writing exercise, seeking nothing more than the fulfillment that comes from writing.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 02:51   Link #2
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Welcome to FC!

A depiction of K-ON through the eyes of a cherished, but somewhat lost instrument. Smooth storytelling and captivating character descriptions bring the series into a whole new light.

Well, that was my summary of it, and needless to say, I greatly enjoyed it. Cannot wait to read more!
Old 2011-01-17, 14:30   Link #3
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm curious, did you read just the first chapter, or all twelve of them? Because the linked page only takes you to the first one, and I wonder if people have been missing out on a lot of story just because of the way the site's formatted.
Old 2011-01-17, 14:33   Link #4
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I only read what the link sent me to. I'm intrigued by the remaining 11 chapters though; I will definitely read those as soon as I have the time
Old 2011-01-17, 20:44   Link #5
Midonin
Last Engage

Thanks. Feedback and criticism are appreciated, but as long as people are reading and enjoying it, that's all I'm really looking for.
Old 2011-01-17, 21:05   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

12 chapters!? you must have a very creative mind to think of that many chapters based on how long the first chapter was. I admire that
Old 2011-01-18, 17:51   Link #7
Midonin
Last Engage

I set a 4,000 words per chapter limit (not so much limit as 4,000 words exactly, but the software I used to write and AO3 don't calculate words the same) for artistic reasons, but I realize now that when I think in terms of word count, I never know how many pages that actually is until it's put before me.

I'm guessing AO3 hasn't been linked to much from AnimeSuki before, but chapters beyond the first can be accessed either by the "Next/Previous Chapter" buttons near the top and bottom, or the Chapter Index also near the top. For a site still in beta, it's pretty good. All 12 chapters are already there, and I'm hoping to see how people react to chapters beyond the first. Don't want to give away what happens - it would take away the applicability.
Old 2011-02-02, 14:38   Link #8
Midonin
Last Engage

There is little doubt in my mind that the person who inspired me to write Countermelody! may have permanently altered my writing style. The feelings his writing created in me were strong. Not necessarily good, but strong. But it is not for the worst. I appreciate his techniques, being able to weave multiple stories in parallel, find the flaws that make characters human and endearing, and show an intimate knowledge of the universe he writes in. Yet in tone and content, we couldn't be more different. Whether by choice conscious or unconscious, I have become his antithesis, using similar techniques for a fundamentally opposed purpose. Light instead of darkness, tiger instead of dragon, laughter instead of tears.

I do have another story to present, this one being a fusion of the spirit of the inspiration and the thing it inspired. The thing is, there isn't that much Milky Holmes fanfiction yet. I found two pieces before mine, and neither of them were very well written. This offers me an unparalleled advantage.

With Countermelody!, I was treading on ground that had been trodden before (well, mostly), but with this, I cannot only create, but set the bar for future writers. To inspire others is one of my life's wishes. So, I went out of the way to create the shiniest, most lighthearted, least serious, most unrealistic work that these fingers could type. Something a fan of Milky Holmes could be proud of. My writing is always evolving of course, so I don't know if this is my best.

And so, here it is.

A Scandal in Yokohama

This is also probably the first piece of Saint October fanfiction ever, but that's less important.
Old 2011-02-11, 19:04   Link #9
Midonin
Last Engage

Another Milky Holmes story, another crossover. I treat these crossovers sort of like The Onigashima Battleship did. While there are other detective fictions involved, Milky Holmes provides the main thrust of the story. Part 3 of 2 coming soon.

Three Act Comedy

Though I plan on briefly going back to Countermelody! before that third part is written.

Turning sense into nonsense and nonsense into sense, inscribed here shall be the name of Midonin!
Old 2011-02-17, 17:05   Link #10
Midonin
Last Engage

8,000 words in four days (with a one day break in between) does tend to leave the brain a little burnt out. I'll take a short break before I start on part 3 of 2 of the Milky Holmes Trilogy. But for now, I have some more material in Countermelody!

Two side story chapters, Healing! and Bright, Our Future!.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:42   Link #11
Midonin
Last Engage

Countermelody! would have been put to rest, had it not been for that song's existence. As such, I went an alternate route. Seven 400-word vignettes, sprinkled throughout the main story. In order:

1. New Years' Dreams - What happened to the other three while Yui was getting the story started.

2. Touched by an Angel - Ton details how he got to the Budokan

3. Love is a Stapler - Ran teaches Mio a few things about office supplies

4. Super Mail Time - How to write a text message (and get T-shirts).

5. Song of Light Music - Yoroko runs into a most peculiar group.

6. Day alternates with night - Azusa tries to figure out who Yumeno really is.

7. This is our history - The moment where bonds were established.

I'm done with the story for real this time. I mean it.
Old 2011-03-06, 22:53   Link #12
Midonin
Last Engage

Setting Countermelody! several years into the future (the last year of college) means that it's not in danger of being contradicted anytime soon, but I'm someone who values canon, and for something I made to overwrite the future, my own future is about to be overwritten. I guess this is what they call karma.

That doesn't mean I'm not glad I wrote it, however. It was a final burst of a story that had been building up in me for months. I consider it one of my magnum opuses.

Last edited by Midonin; 2011-03-07 at 17:54.
Old 2011-03-10, 11:34   Link #13
Midonin
Last Engage

After about a month's worth of on-again off-again work, I have produced Part 3 of 2 of the Milky Holmes trilogy. The elements of my style shine through. There's also a crossover with something that might have even less plot than Milky Holmes, but is still kind of awesome in its own way. The length was tremendous, so I split it into two parts. The first is all setup, the second all action.

This is...

The League of Crazy Girls
Old 2011-03-28, 19:25   Link #14
Midonin
Last Engage

This next story presents several interesting challenges. It's a crossover, but half of it is live action, the other half an anime. The half that is an anime begs the question of "Can a Mitsudomoe story sustain itself for half an hour?". There are several other series listed in the tags, but they all have a common byline that allows me to run wild with Gokaiger's premise. It is a tale of heroes. It is a tale of misunderstandings. It is a tale of breasts.

Youngest! Cherry Boy Hero
Old 2011-07-21, 20:38   Link #15
Midonin
Last Engage

In the Hidan no Aria forums, I gave hints towards an idea that had been in the making basically since the show started. After the Yokohama arc aired, I got to work. Now, in any crossover, the question is which show should take dominance, if any show. Naturally, I went with Milky Holmes, though Aria and co. still have a stake in the plot.

The Blonde, Big-Breasted Lady
Old 2011-08-12, 19:20   Link #16
Midonin
Last Engage

The second part of two in what I'm now calling TK-ON! Almost

The path that led to this story's creation was long.

4-koma manga (x4+) -> anime (x41+movie) -> doujinshi (x3) -> doujin song (x2) -> Countermelody! -> Anthology!

The end of the line reincorporates elements introduced at the start, while taking everything else into effect.

The goals of these stories are two. The first is to bring closure by presenting someone not as a supervillain or a sadist, but a guy. Weak, easily overwhelmed, but not without his merits. The second is to dispel the notion that Mugi isn't a plot device or uninteresting. Her Almost must have required a lot of personal trouble, something that comes to the forefront here.

Anthology! (FF.net mirror)
Old 2011-10-12, 23:03   Link #17
Midonin
Last Engage

I'll let the title speak for itself this time. It was a lot of fun to write, with a final setpiece that combines the best of both its parent series.

Akari's Ordinary Life
Old 2012-02-02, 18:02   Link #18
Midonin
Last Engage

If you want to talk to me as an author (I have been quite busy, just not with content that can be posted here... I think), I set up a Tumblr page.
Old 2012-05-09, 18:06   Link #19
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Given how wacky the show is, I almost expected Arsene to unintentionally absorb the lard with her breasts and get even bigger.
As the world's most prolific writer of novella/novel length Milky Holmes fanfiction, a title few hold or vie for, I took one look at this post during the airing of Milky Holmes 2 and thought, "I could make a story out of that".

Of course, if that was all there was to the story, I wouldn't be able to post it here. So I figured that if Henriette's boobs got bigger, her powers would go out of control, and one thing led to another. It's nice to do a story using aspects from season 2, such as Colon, Poporo and even some concepts from the as-of-yet unreleased Milky Holmes 2 PSP game. This is...

The Kokoro Takes Over