AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-01-28, 23:58   Link #1
malicet

Deep drama storylines

Hello!

I am looking for an anime with a deep, suspenseful, serious story that isn't cliche. I'm not one to get wrapped up in art style or a particular character (although they can enhance the story sometimes) and am looking for an overall memorable experience that will have me jumping for the next episode.

What I don't like in a story:
  • Cutsie
  • Lighthearted
  • Comedy
  • Action oriented (Action is fine, I just don't want it to be the focal)
  • Episodical
What I enjoy in a story:
  • Complex
  • Psychological
  • Twists
  • Adventures
  • Character progression
  • Mystery
  • Suspense
  • Characters with an unknown history

I've watched (and am looking for more like) these:

Death Note, Code Geass, Steins;Gate, Evangelion, ToraDora, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Howl's Moving Castle, Darker Than Black, Rainbow, Ergo Proxy, NHK

Hope this helps! I'm kind of stuck, and can't find anything that really gets my attention.
malicet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 00:10   Link #2
jedinat

Check these out:
Haibane Renmei
Juuni Kokuki
RahXephon
Serial Experiments Lain
Koukaku Kidoutai Stand Alone Complex

Don't see how someone can "not like" comedy though, lol...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 00:16   Link #3
kaitanuva

Seems like you'd like Monster. It fits all of your desired criteria.
kaitanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 02:56   Link #4
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Monster
Paranoia Agent
Crest of the Stars
Haibane Renmei
Kaiba
Kino's Journey
Now and Then, Here and There
Serial Experiments Lain
The Tatami Galaxy
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Millenium Actress
Paprika
Garden of Sinners

Hope you find something you like.
Old 2013-01-29, 03:10   Link #5
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Seconding Juuni Kokuki.

And highly suggest the currently airing Shin Sekai yori.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 05:56   Link #6
Seiryuu

Angel Beats. It's very comic at times, but at the same time it has some really serious storylines and is all about growth, life and fulfillment. It has mystery, suspense, adventure, character development, twists and complexity, and the main character is unique in that he has absolutely no memory of his own life before he wound up in the limbo-like setting of the story, and of course no one else has even met him before. It's cutesy at times, with lighthearted comedy, but it can and does get real serious.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 10:57   Link #7
kitten320

Kokoro Connect - I just finished it myself. Not the best series out there and have its problems but over all I think they could work well since it has supernatural stuff and focuses on characters psychological problems and explores them deeper with each arc. Series go through different stages, first one is body swapping. Did keep my interest, went through it in few days. Usually takes me ages.

Art is a bit cute but it doesn't ruine things and comedy barely exists there. Characters gradually progress and develop, has some plot twists.

Not major on Death Note scale but if you are familiar with any of Key works, then it kind of has similar feeling.

Darker series wise Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is great. I would call it a mix between DTB and Rainbow.

I know you said no cutsie stuff but did you try Madoka Magica? art is the only thing that looks cute there and even that is twisted from times to times. This are dark and depressing series, they actually have some things in common with Steins; Gate.
It is also compared to Evangelion a lot.

Ga-Rei Zero - it has some comedy in middle part. Actually series start dark, then go into happy flashback which eventually leads to dramatic events at the start and conclusion. Probably one of the least cliche series I have seen. It does have action but emotional breakdown are of bigger importance.

GTO - I know you said no comedy but Toradora is comedy for most part. GTO focuses on unique teacher Onizuka who will do anything to help his students. Most of his ways are not normal like for example pushing student of the bridge.
every character has some issues that needs to be dealt with and each one is unique and with unique way of solving it. Interesting plot and charas. I really would recommend to give it a try.
Old 2013-01-29, 11:50   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Most of the shows I mentioned in this other thread this morning apply here except for the obvious comedies.

I would put Monster at the top of your list, though. It's in my top twenty all-time favorite television programs including both live-action and animation, and possibly in the top ten.

Here are a couple more shows that don't fall into the sci-fi and fantasy categories I mentioned in that other posting.

Usagi Drop - A slice-of-life story about a single man who becomes the caretaker for a five-year-old girl. It has a mixture of comedy and drama and is one of the best shows released in 2011.

Kurenai - Another caretaking show, but this time with a 16-yo boy and a 7-yo girl. She is the heiress to a influential and secretive industrialist clan who has been kidnapped for reasons that become clear only during the course of the story. Great voice acting, too.

Sarai-ya Goyou
- An unemployed samurai ("ronin") becomes involved with a group of petty criminals. Don't go looking for action in this one; it's a moody character study but certainly contains drama.

These next three all concern games of some sort, but they are all quite dramatic in their way. Hikaru no Go follows a young boy who encounters the spirit of a Heian-period Go master and soon discovers a love for the game. Most of the story follows his efforts to become a serious professional player. In the punningly-named Shion no Ou, a young girl also yearns to become a professional in her game of choice, Shougi ("Japanese chess"). This show has a parallel murder mystery as part of the plot, but it isn't as compelling as watching Shion's progress. Finally I'll suggest Chihayafuru about a girl who also wants to join the ranks of professional players in an obscure card game called karuta. It's second season has just begun airing at Crunchyroll.

Finally, regardless of your opinion about baseball or sports anime in general, I strongly recommend Cross Game, the winner of the 2010 AS Choice Award for best series, a most-deserved accolade. You'll see why it fits in the drama category in the very first episode.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-01-29 at 12:00.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 01:38   Link #9
fukarming

Infinite Ryvius: Drama/ Sci-fi. (1999-2000)
THis is a good review for the series
http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/infinite-ryvius/

For the Highlights
Characters: Three-dimensional and detailed.
Drama: Chilling to the bone.
Theme: Many references to the real world.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote