AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-25, 16:04   Link #141
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Either way, i do feel that Hiromi does Love Shin more than Noe Loves shin. it's a different love, but a more Pure love I believe (since they were childhood friends)...
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. The only meaningful interaction is the flashback to the scene at the festival. It seems that one incident made Hiromi feel attached and perhaps reliant on Shin. Because other than that, Shin says that they were classmates and casual friends. I don't think those are really ingredients for more "true love" than anything else.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-03-25, 19:09   Link #142
be0wulf
it's friday

Send a message via MSN to be0wulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. The only meaningful interaction is the flashback to the scene at the festival. It seems that one incident made Hiromi feel attached and perhaps reliant on Shin. Because other than that, Shin says that they were classmates and casual friends. I don't think those are really ingredients for more "true love" than anything else.
Yes, which is why I think the "childhood friend" element is overdone in anime. Writers often give no more justification for a girl being hopelessly in love with a boy other than "when they were kids, he once did ____ for her when she was _____, and oh yea they were in the same class since grade ____." It's getting kinda old...

http://www.chunlikickedme.tumblr.com
Old 2008-03-25, 23:05   Link #143
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
I guess Shin dad's and Hiromi mom might have been lover of some sorts , or may be just close friends. That'd explain why Hiromi's mom face was cut off in the portrait. That would fit too.

Didn't Shin's dad told him (or was it Hiromi) that sibling stuff was a lie? (Well unless he was lying of course).
Quote:
Yes, he did. I was just saying that if it had been true, it would perfectly explain every single detail about Shin's mother and Hiromi's relationship. Since it's not true, they haven't really given us any reason as to why that hatred exists.
Though it was not clearly stated it was implied pretty heavily. But you have to piece together bits and pieces of conversations through out the series finally ending with Shins dad talk with Hiromi when decides to move out. Some of the pieces are

All 4 were high school friends
Hiromis mother was apparently very beautiful
Shins mom states to Hiromi your like you mother you can seize any guy with that face (cant remember exact words)
Shins mom won in the end
Shins dad and Hiromis mom remained close
Shin and Hiromi are born pretty close together
Shins dad clearly states thats his wife was very mistaken about things and everything was a bing misunderstanding.

From these little hints you can kind of piece together what happened but i really wouldnt count on us getting anymore info about it as im sure most would agree its actually not that important to the story at hand.
Old 2008-03-26, 00:56   Link #144
be0wulf
it's friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
From these little hints you can kind of piece together what happened but i really wouldnt count on us getting anymore info about it as im sure most would agree its actually not that important to the story at hand.
Actually, it is, for the first half of the series. The reason why Hiromi was so distant with Shin was because she liked him, but thought they were related. And then when that was cleared up it was almost like an anti-climax. "Why were you so distant all these years? Just a misunderstanding? Alrighty then, how about them chickens?"

Old 2008-03-26, 03:55   Link #145
Westlo
Lets be reality

We might get an explanation next episode....

Spoiler for 13 website pics:
Old 2008-03-26, 05:07   Link #146
cloudninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
that's the title for track 32, which is...
Spoiler:
At 21:19, they played track 32 (omoi wo oitekite - leave behind those feelings) during Noe's scene. Actually, at 21:19 it begins a few seconds or so before the end of Hiromi's scene with her taking her sandal off and continues until Noe jumps off the tree. The connection is that Noe is probably trying to let go of Shin, which fits the general path I have been expecting for a long time. Just a few minutes earlier in the episode, Noe was saying to herself "I failed to notice my brother's feelings (for Noe). I failed to notice Yuasa Hiromi's feelings as well (for Shin). I failed to notice Shinichiro's true feelings as well (for Hiromi)". I think she took into account their feelings before deciding on her path.

With Noe saying that Shin told her she could fly from the preview I wonder if Shin is basically helping her to move on in the next episode by encouraging her to fly. So Hiromi was worried over Shin leaving her behind, took off her sandal, then it cuts to Noe climbing and then jumping off the tree while track 32 is playing. If Noe really wants to give up on Shin so that he can be with Hiromi because of what Noe now knows about their mutual feelings for each other then it's consistent with what the writers have previously set up. They just managed to do a good job of confusing and creating doubt in the viewers. Personally, I'm taking this as another clue to help understand what the writers intend to do in episode 13. Episode 12 has been set up to create doubt and confusion but there have been some clues that give some idea of what's really happening or what's going to happen (Raigomaru and Jibeta references, Noe's self-dialogue, Hiromi taking her sandal off, track 32 being played as Noe maybe attempts her first flight, a few others I can't think of at the moment). So I think the story has still remained consistent through episode 12, it's just that the writers purposely made Shin's actions look ambiguous or worse in order to create the doubt that they intend the viewers to have until the final episode. Let's see if the final episode remains consistent with what the writers have built up from the beginning.

Last edited by cloudninja; 2008-03-26 at 06:06.
Old 2008-03-26, 10:58   Link #147
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudninja View Post
Let's see if the final episode remains consistent with what the writers have built up from the beginning.
Exactly, I was going on about this in the middle of the True Tears ep 12 thread, but there is a solid route of consistency available to the writers that would put everything into a "consistency" context from episodes 1 to 13 if they went the Hiromi route. Everything would be consistent in that kind of ending from Shin's early waffling but later resolve towards Hiromi while helping Noe gain her tears back...

I just don't see the possibility at this point of a Noe ending unless the writers really want to just blow off consistency for the sake of a dramatic finish..., but then again Shin did blow off the only chance in my mind to "do things properly" when he had the initiative to say something to Hiromi instead of running off on a lie after supposedly deciding something during the dance.
Old 2008-03-26, 11:13   Link #148
Westlo
Lets be reality

Shipping aside (and I really don't like how much this series has turned me into a shipper....) that is the main reason I want to see a Hiromi ending.
Old 2008-03-26, 14:37   Link #149
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555 View Post
Exactly, I was going on about this in the middle of the True Tears ep 12 thread, but there is a solid route of consistency available to the writers that would put everything into a "consistency" context from episodes 1 to 13 if they went the Hiromi route. Everything would be consistent in that kind of ending from Shin's early waffling but later resolve towards Hiromi while helping Noe gain her tears back...

I just don't see the possibility at this point of a Noe ending unless the writers really want to just blow off consistency for the sake of a dramatic finish..., but then again Shin did blow off the only chance in my mind to "do things properly" when he had the initiative to say something to Hiromi instead of running off on a lie after supposedly deciding something during the dance.
Again, I don't want to always defend the possibility of a Noe ending, but to say that it's not considered consistent with the story is a bit off. Just as the writers have built on Hiromi and Shin's relationship, the same can be said to Noe and Shin's, even more so if you look at Shin's attitude in episode 12. This show has two consistent things going on in every episode, Shin's daily struggle with Hiromi and his picturebook (his inner 'sanctuary'). The only reason I can think of to see the inconsistency of a Noe ending is failing to see Noe's growing influence on Shinichiro through the picturebook. No matter what events--whether good or bad--transpire between him and Hiromi (especially episode 10), his commitment to the picturebook has always been consistent. I think it's safe to say after ep 12 that Jibeta and Raigomaru's story is basically about Shin and Noe (no matter which one is which). It's their 'bond', so to say. My interpretation of a Noe ending is basically Shin living up to Noe's expectations and making her happy. I don't see any inconsistency in this at all since we've been given hints all over the series.

I've seen other people from blogs reason this out, so I don't think I'm the only one who noticed this. Well, what I'm trying to say is, a Noe ending is as consistent as a Hiromi ending. ^__^ The writers can go either way, it's just that, to me, after watching the trailers and PV, a Noe ending makes more sense.
Old 2008-03-26, 15:13   Link #150
Theowne
耳をすませば

It simply feels inconsistent because that's what we're all used to seeing in anime, that's what we expect.

If the writers actually decided to buck that trend and do it well, I would be impressed (and a bit glad). I wouldn't see it as being inconsistent at all.

Shin and Hiromi have represented this strand of familiarity and reliance. They had an encounter as children, and then after that were casual friends and classmates, in Shin's words. They went for all those years without any significant movement (until Shin's mother told the lie when she moved in). It was always just an underlying "idea" that they liked each other.

On the other hand Noe has been the catalyst in the story and has definitely had a greater impact in her short time with Shin, as he himself realizes during the dance.

As I always say, I agree that a Hiromi ending seems more likely because that's just the way these shows always go and that's what I expect. If by consistency you mean consistency with other anime shows and general plotlines, then yes, it'd be consistent. But I would be impressed if the writers took a different direction. The plotline would be very coherent and more original, in my opinion. A long, static, familiar connection between two characters is interrupted by the intrusion of a third, who injects a lot of development and change. The original connection still lingers and harms the progression of this second one, but the story ends as the characters recognize the value of the second and recognize the deficiency of the first. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but it makes complete sense to me.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-03-26, 16:55   Link #151
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Again, I don't want to always defend the possibility of a Noe ending, but to say that it's not considered consistent with the story is a bit off. Just as the writers have built on Hiromi and Shin's relationship, the same can be said to Noe and Shin's, even more so if you look at Shin's attitude in episode 12. This show has two consistent things going on in every episode, Shin's daily struggle with Hiromi and his picturebook (his inner 'sanctuary'). The only reason I can think of to see the inconsistency of a Noe ending is failing to see Noe's growing influence on Shinichiro through the picturebook. No matter what events--whether good or bad--transpire between him and Hiromi (especially episode 10), his commitment to the picturebook has always been consistent. I think it's safe to say after ep 12 that Jibeta and Raigomaru's story is basically about Shin and Noe (no matter which one is which). It's their 'bond', so to say. My interpretation of a Noe ending is basically Shin living up to Noe's expectations and making her happy. I don't see any inconsistency in this at all since we've been given hints all over the series.

I've seen other people from blogs reason this out, so I don't think I'm the only one who noticed this. Well, what I'm trying to say is, a Noe ending is as consistent as a Hiromi ending. ^__^ The writers can go either way, it's just that, to me, after watching the trailers and PV, a Noe ending makes more sense.
Well the only reason I was saying that is that the picturebook doesn't take an equal role to the weight of the rest of the story until perhaps around 8ish. Then again, I do think that there is a possibility of writers making it so that the picturebook eclipses what we saw in 1-10, since the picturebook at least equals the plot in some sense by episode 11. I do think there is the possibility that the writers would have wanted that part of the story to eclipse the first, but it probably has to be done in a way that resolves the first in some way. I do acknowledge the possibility that this is what the writers intended, so I guess we'll have to see at this point what exactly they intended.

It is probably a bit early to judge in any case...
Old 2008-03-26, 17:56   Link #152
ani_d

Quote:

As I always say, I agree that a Hiromi ending seems more likely because that's just the way these shows always go and that's what I expect. If by consistency you mean consistency with other anime shows and general plotlines, then yes, it'd be consistent. But I would be impressed if the writers took a different direction. The plotline would be very coherent and more original, in my opinion. A long, static, familiar connection between two characters is interrupted by the intrusion of a third, who injects a lot of development and change.
Funny, that's like the very reason why I was drawn in by this show. I just have this feeling that this show isn't out to give us the obvious. I just want true tears to break away from the popular trend. The more I see a change in the story's direction, the more it piques my curiosity. And now, what have I become. Darn show. -_-;
Old 2008-03-26, 18:35   Link #153
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Funny, that's like the very reason why I was drawn in by this show. I just have this feeling that this show isn't out to give us the obvious. I just want true tears to break away from the popular trend. The more I see a change in the story's direction, the more it piques my curiosity. And now, what have I become. Darn show. -_-;
For me personally, just doing something different for the sake of doing something different doesn't interest me. It's how they get to that point that I think is of most relevance. If Shinichirou ends up in love with Noe, I don't think that alone will be "breaking away from the trend" any more than him ending up with Hiromi. (Both have significant precidence in anime storytelling.) There's a lot more to this show than just "who the protagonist declares his love to". If you simplify it down to that one sole element, at the expense of all the others, I think that all it does is encourage shipping, and the inevitable "waahhh! my favourite girl didn't win! worst show ever!" follow-up posts. That's one "popular trend" that I really wish we'd all break away from.

Edit: Again with the summary statement -- what I'm trying to say is that the romantic outcome of the final episode alone isn't what's going to make this show "original" or "not original". Otherwise, you're diminishing the importance of what happened in the 12 previous episodes.
Old 2008-03-26, 20:13   Link #154
golthin

Quote:
For me personally, just doing something different for the sake of doing something different doesn't interest me. It's how they get to that point that I think is of most relevance. If Shinichirou ends up in love with Noe, I don't think that alone will be "breaking away from the trend" any more than him ending up with Hiromi. (Both have significant precidence in anime storytelling.) There's a lot more to this show than just "who the protagonist declares his love to". If you simplify it down to that one sole element, at the expense of all the others, I think that all it does is encourage shipping, and the inevitable "waahhh! my favourite girl didn't win! worst show ever!" follow-up posts. That's one "popular trend" that I really wish we'd all break away from.

Edit: Again with the summary statement -- what I'm trying to say is that the romantic outcome of the final episode alone isn't what's going to make this show "original" or "not original". Otherwise, you're diminishing the importance of what happened in the 12 previous episodes.
I hope you are right, because after watching Dragonaut, I need a show to end happy for one of the girls. I think hiromi deserve to be happy more than Noe, she has been happy until now till her brother decided to be a busy body to get rid of his owns problems. Looking at the images in the website I think now that it will be more a hiromi-shin ending. they don't show Noe at all and she is probably in the hospital. I am going to up the odds for hiromi at 80% vs 20% for Noe
Old 2008-03-26, 20:30   Link #155
Stretch5920

They don't show Noe because they want you to think she is hurt, she will be fine. Shin will panic run around the corner and she'll be sitting in a big pile of snow or something completely fine.
Old 2008-03-26, 20:56   Link #156
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch5920 View Post
They don't show Noe because they want you to think she is hurt, she will be fine. Shin will panic run around the corner and she'll be sitting in a big pile of snow or something completely fine.
Well, that may be true (the thought has certainly occurred to me), but I'm thinking it would almost be as effective if Noe gets hospitalized, which would thus further delay the resolution of the romantic quandry. Shinichirou would be compelled to take care of Noe, as he'd blame himself for her injury, which would then put matters with Hiromi further on hold. Hiromi would interpret this as Shinichirou choosing Noe instead of her, and would have to try to get her own life in order without Shinichirou by her side. And then...

Hey, who knows. Blind speculation is fun (but futile).
Old 2008-03-26, 21:27   Link #157
be0wulf
it's friday

All that in one episode, PLUS Shin's mother's talk with Hiromi?

I smell Myself;Yourself 2 in the making.

Old 2008-03-26, 21:39   Link #158
Stretch5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by be0wulf View Post

we both suck

*10 years later*

married

the end
Old 2008-03-26, 21:54   Link #159
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by be0wulf View Post

Not sure what that's supposed to mean... More of the that "one rotten apple spoils the whole batch" thing? Then again, I never watched Myself;Yourself, so... (that being said, you may not spoil it in this thread.)

Above all, no matter what happens, we can be virtually assured that it will stay true to the message and theme of the show. To me, that alone would be a success (since the show's been pretty successful at that so far, IMO).
Old 2008-03-26, 21:56   Link #160
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Well, that may be true (the thought has certainly occurred to me), but I'm thinking it would almost be as effective if Noe gets hospitalized, which would thus further delay the resolution of the romantic quandry. Shinichirou would be compelled to take care of Noe, as he'd blame himself for her injury, which would then put matters with Hiromi further on hold.
Oh boy not KGNE mark 2
Closed Thread