AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-01-29, 16:47   Link #4621
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Of course she's not. If Markov is not dead yet, how can Mira be dead... it's plotimpossible.
Old 2011-01-29, 16:50   Link #4622
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Would give some dark credit to Mashima if he did that. Brought Lisanna back only to kill Mirajane. Would drive Elfman into a rage, and make Lisanna swear revenge.

I dunno, something about this makes me think it will get a bit darker was we get farther in, and thus deaths are not an impossibility. Part of doesn't want to see these characters die, but another part would admire Mashima's balls if he did.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 17:01   Link #4623
KrimzonStriker

Well, just to put everyone else in even more suspense, does anyone else remember Charles vision from way back in the beginning of the arc, with an injured female hand and everyone crying...

Pretty good chapter in my book, wets my appetite to see what comes of that last little image
Old 2011-01-29, 17:02   Link #4624
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Part of doesn't want to see these characters die, but another part would admire Mashima's balls if he did.
Yeah, about this admiring Mashima's balls. I can tell you afterwards he won't have them attached anymore after we're all though with him. Second reason why I don't want them to die is: I've had enough zombie plot. I mean really, we have Zeref on the stupid island of all people, and he's already half apeshit. Even if they die, they ain't gonna be dead for long.
Old 2011-01-29, 17:11   Link #4625
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Yeah, about this admiring Mashima's balls. I can tell you afterwards he won't have them attached anymore after we're all though with him. Second reason why I don't want them to die is: I've had enough zombie plot. I mean really, we have Zeref on the stupid island of all people, and he's already half apeshit. Even if they die, they ain't gonna be dead for long.
Well, you do know the saying about how no one truly dies in sci-fi. You can bring back people any number of ways. Hell, we have an alternate world out there that could supply a Mirajane if we lose ours.

I've been writing a rather dark fic, and a good way to build suspense is to kill someone. Nothing else brings the "Oh shit" factor than realizing the cast isn't safe. If everyone always survives, then we don't fear as much for them, because we know they'll make it through okay in the end.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 17:22   Link #4626
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Well, just to put everyone else in even more suspense, does anyone else remember Charles vision from way back in the beginning of the arc, with an injured female hand and everyone crying...
I don't know.

Spoiler:

Can't really tell if the hand belongs to a male or female...
Old 2011-01-29, 17:37   Link #4627
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I've been writing a rather dark fic, and a good way to build suspense is to kill someone. Nothing else brings the "Oh shit" factor than realizing the cast isn't safe. If everyone always survives, then we don't fear as much for them, because we know they'll make it through okay in the end.
Personal opinion: character should appear and disappear, and sometimes re-appear.

Direct death is the cheapest form of making a character disappear.
And direct revival the cheapest one to make a character re-appear.
ie. stuff that's just s +/- on character count is a cheap and unnecessary move

It's like on a game of chess. If one piece just gets eliminated with no strategic change it's boring and stupid (what the hell were you doing?). If one piece gets eliminated for the sake of eliminating another piece, or for protecting a key piece it's interesting. The analogy isn't perfect since unlike chess the pieces are not stateless, however in our case Mira kicking the bucket would be for nothing, since her sister has almost zero impact on the story thus far, while she is knee deep in the plot. Whatever impact her sister had before was directly related to her death, and thus faded when they brought her back using a deus ex machina.

Again, just my personal opinion.
Old 2011-01-29, 17:41   Link #4628
KrimzonStriker

I got the impression it was female myself, the fingers seemed slender to me, so that rules out Elfman, Natsu's fine, Gray's not going anywhere, and Loki's a spirit. Also it doesn't have sleeves so that leaves Markov 'safe' in this case though it doesn't rule out him dying on the side either.
Old 2011-01-29, 17:43   Link #4629
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
I got the impression it was female myself, the fingers seemed slender to me, so that rules out Elfman, Natsu's fine, Gray's not going anywhere, and Loki's a spirit. Also it doesn't have sleeves so that leaves Markov 'safe' in this case though it doesn't rule out him dying on the side either.
Not sure if you can go by just the shape of the hand, though I will agree with your deduction about the sleeves.
Old 2011-01-29, 17:44   Link #4630
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It's Lucy.
Old 2011-01-29, 17:45   Link #4631
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
It's Lucy.
Well whoever it is, it definitely isn't Ultear.
Old 2011-01-29, 17:56   Link #4632
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

• hand too young to be Markovs
  • Natsu (boyfriend) crying at what appears to be a distance: eliminating Gray and every other male besides the master
  • Cana (partner) is crying with her face towards the sky: guilt
  • she's a main character, so pretty good target
  • latest subplot focused on her and Cana
  • all other possibilities have already reached a semi-conclusion in their fights
@Kuroi Hadou they would not cry for her.
Old 2011-01-29, 17:58   Link #4633
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
@Kuroi Hadou they would not cry for her.
I was referring to the fact that her wrists are covered, and we don't know if they're crying in response to the hand's owner or someone/something else. It's a known fact that Charle's visions have a tendency to be completely out of context.
Old 2011-01-29, 18:03   Link #4634
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
I was referring to the fact that her wrists are covered, and we don't know if they're crying in response to the hand's owner or someone/something else. It's a known fact that Charle's visions have a tendency to be completely out of context.
Point taken. Her hands are not covered though, see last page where she touches her collar (she's not wearing gloves, nor the suit).
Old 2011-01-29, 18:06   Link #4635
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Point taken. Her hands are not covered though, see last page where she touches her collar (she's not wearing gloves, nor the suit).
It's the big clunky things on her wrists that exclude her, not her hands. The hand in the pic doesn't have anything covering the wrist and lower forearm. And she is wearing the suit:

Spoiler:

It's the same sleeveless design. And you can see her fingernails in the full-body image of the suit, which means no gloves.
Old 2011-01-29, 18:10   Link #4636
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

*looks closer*

Oh you're right! =O
Old 2011-01-29, 18:19   Link #4637
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Somewhat off topic, I like Ultear with the pigtails and animal-print dress more than her battle suit design.
Old 2011-01-29, 23:03   Link #4638
Ermes Marana

The fighting is kind of sabotaged by missing details about how powers work. I'm not saying it all needs to be explained, just the details that are necessary to feel the flow of the fight. Same thing with Zancrow... we needed details for why Natsu couldn't eat his flames right off the bat, in order to be impressed when he overcame that. Without it, the fight has no comprehensible flow. With Hades and Makarov, we needed a detail about why Hades left him alive to interfere in more fights... sympathy? Thought he was dead and too lazy to check?

Mira's weakness... seems kind of lame since she never felt overpowered even without it, and since we never heard of it before, and since we didn't see anything to make us feel she should be so worn out already (her earlier fight never gave the impression she was down to her last ounce of magic).

I can't really call this a loss for FT, since it seems she would have won if she hadn't been so weakened by fighting others from FT.

I wonder if Mira passed along some kind of power to Lisanna? When she said she wouldn't let her die, one way to do that would be to make her more powerful.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 04:43   Link #4639
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
The fighting is kind of sabotaged by missing details about how powers work. I'm not saying it all needs to be explained, just the details that are necessary to feel the flow of the fight. Same thing with Zancrow...
Someone formulated a great theory about that earlier. Personally Natsu doing the so called impossible was impressive in itself.

Quote:
With Hades and Makarov, we needed a detail about why Hades left him alive to interfere in more fights... sympathy? Thought he was dead and too lazy to check?
Pretty sure Hades is not that into the evil business as he appears; nothing like Laxus' father anyway. Whatever differences they may have now Markov and him are still pretty much family, so doubt any of them would go for the kill.

Quote:
I wonder if Mira passed along some kind of power to Lisanna? When she said she wouldn't let her die, one way to do that would be to make her more powerful.
Well technically this would have not been the first time this power injecting happened. *recalls Lucy and the archiver dude*
Old 2011-01-30, 04:51   Link #4640
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Pretty sure Hades is not that into the evil business as he appears; nothing like Laxus' father anyway. Whatever differences they may have now Markov and him are still pretty much family, so doubt any of them would go for the kill.
Well to be fair Hades did shoot Makarov through the chest...

Quote:
Well technically this would have not been the first time this power injecting happened. *recalls Lucy and the archiver dude*
I, personally, think that Mira somehow redirected the explosion solely onto herself, hence why Lisanna was almost completely unharmed.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen