Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-05, 01:49   Link #221
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
holy cow Aria "Saiyan fusion" with Cecily or something
And unless my eyes are deceiving me, she's also holding a katana.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 02:02   Link #222
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
As for the fantasy genre, I still don't think there's a single standard yet. Seirei no Moribito was great, but it basically threw away all forms of possibly awesome combat scenes for slow, slow, slow character development. To me, that sort of goes against what a fantasy anime is, since it should be all about the world's environments, the fantasy of the world (not something pseudo-real-world like Full Metal Alchemist. I would not consider that a fantasy.. more like some adventure-anime) and the BATTLES that a fantasy anime requires.
I believe the standard is Record of Lodoss War. It's pretty much the epitome of old-school fantasy anime, with its tale of an aspiring hero, elves, dwarves, sorcery, dragons and gods. It even has a 'black knight' character as the perfect foil for our hero, and it certainly doesn't hurt that it's a well done anime for its time. It's basically a classic take on the fantasy genre.

To be like Record of Lodoss War, you'd have to present a story that is epic and wide in scale all around.

Fullmetal Alchemist on the other hand, isn't something I would put under the categories of high or low fantasy. It somewhat has a steampunk flavour to it, but I feel that it crosses different genre lines at the same time.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 02:21   Link #223
blewin

pretty interesting premise. I don't expect anything great from this series though. Decent and if a bit more than that, then I'll take that as bonus. The characters are ok, fairly typical. What I don't like most is Cecily's design. A Knight dressed like a maid? Come on!

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 02:28   Link #224
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I believe the standard is Record of Lodoss War. It's pretty much the epitome of old-school fantasy anime, with its tale of an aspiring hero, elves, dwarves, sorcery, dragons and gods. It even has a 'black knight' character as the perfect foil for our hero, and it certainly doesn't hurt that it's a well done anime for its time. It's basically a classic take on the fantasy genre.

To be like Record of Lodoss War, you'd have to present a story that is epic and wide in scale all around.

Fullmetal Alchemist on the other hand, isn't something I would put under the categories of high or low fantasy. It somewhat has a steampunk flavour to it, but I feel that it crosses different genre lines at the same time.
The thing is, In FMA, the magic is infused into a real life style setting. Ala Steampunk, and what have you. Fantasy basically harkens back to when the magic and the rules of the world has vastly separated itself from what we'd normally call realistic.

As for Lodoss War, I don't mind that being called a standard, though I don't think it has particularly aged well.. Either way, I just don't see what's the big deal about 'generic fantasy'. As for this show, I just hope it has interesting plot twists to make it interesting. That's basically what most people could ask for from a conventional fantasy anime. At least not on the lowest of the low tier like Zero no Tsukaima.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 04:08   Link #225
ThoHell

O_O, it's finally out. Good so far and I'm looking forward to this series. only thig I don't like is the soup girl, yeah soup. Luke is awesome!
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 05:14   Link #226
iceyfw

well... well... well.... what can i say about this anime show? a girl mixed with a knight costume and some maid accessories in that time period... hmm.. and the fanservice where she "OPPS" fell down.

i'll see how the storyline and character development goes the next 3 episodes.

*goes back to catching up with Berserk and Claymore*
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 05:30   Link #227
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Metal boobies.....yum. *perv*

And why the heck do they have Aki Toyosaki voice Lisa? That squeaky voice is IRRITATING, like Yui in K-ON!

But she is cute. Half-elf loli FTW.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 07:20   Link #228
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I laugh when the monster thrown his ice on Cecilly's tits .
She didn't mind .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 07:42   Link #229
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Oh and, at 19:55 in the episode, when she's like "and i'm cecily campbell" and was about to pull out her sword (the broken one lawlll), i was thinking that when she finally pulled it out some magic would happen and her sword would be completely back to normal but stronger!

That would've been really corny. but i'd rather go that route than see her just get some katana and abandon her current "family" sword...*sigh*
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 07:51   Link #230
Searcher
RRR/Kotori/Tessa Servant

I wonder how the writers are going to explain how cecily, who has only basic training with a sword and never even fought a battle, is going to win against the bad guys. Who have killed a lot of people and fought a lot of battles.

Maybe they will only stare at her boobs and wonder (just like the people here) why they aren't bigger (like naga's).
2006-09-13, 02:28
The Searcher became a Legend!111 - (to)Arimfe

Quote from the Legendary!111 Searcher
"My heart is big enough for all the girls that lost"
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 07:54   Link #231
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
I wonder how the writers are going to explain how cecily, who has only basic training with a sword and never even fought a battle, is going to win against the bad guys. Who have killed a lot of people and fought a lot of battles.

Maybe they will only stare at her boobs and wonder (just like the people here) why they aren't bigger (like naga's).
& here i was thinking it was obvious that she'd start training.
Old 2009-10-05, 08:11   Link #232
Searcher
RRR/Kotori/Tessa Servant

AnimeNewsNetwork has (sofar) 12 episodes on their list. And since I don't see how this lighthearted anime will have more than 13 episodes, seeing cecily training in swordcombat is a poinless waste of time for us. Time would be better spend on the story or the cast.

I don't see why people are wondering what the perfect fanatsy anime is. There is no perfect "thing" for anything, much less for a anime genre.

We can only say that some fantasy anime are so good, that they should be a standard for other fantasy anime's to follow.
And "Record of Lodoss war, Slayers and some others" are the standard, in mine humble opinion
2006-09-13, 02:28
The Searcher became a Legend!111 - (to)Arimfe

Quote from the Legendary!111 Searcher
"My heart is big enough for all the girls that lost"
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 09:25   Link #233
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Possibly the most blatant case of Katanas are Just Better...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 09:44   Link #234
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& here i was thinking it was obvious that she'd start training.
Oh now Shiroth why ever would she train i mean if she waits long enough a random power up card will present itself j/k however i am interested in seeing how this will play out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Possibly the most blatant case of Katanas are Just Better...
Yea i got that too could help but to laugh.

I must admit the forging part was cool as all hell. I thought the first episode was well done.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:59   Link #235
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I must admit the forging part was cool as all hell. I thought the first episode was well done.
It was cool, but I kept thinking that he should turn the hilt around so that the blade material would be on the correct side of the hilt. It was weird to me the way he did it, though it's obvious it didn't matter how he put the items in, as long as they were all there.

Also, I wonder if he has a large supply of hilts lying around. Cecily might catch up if she keeps breaking swords.
Old 2009-10-05, 10:05   Link #236
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

She'll train with Luke i bet .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 10:42   Link #237
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
It was cool, but I kept thinking that he should turn the hilt around so that the blade material would be on the correct side of the hilt. It was weird to me the way he did it, though it's obvious it didn't matter how he put the items in, as long as they were all there.

Also, I wonder if he has a large supply of hilts lying around. Cecily might catch up if she keeps breaking swords.
I was curious about the ore he was using. It obvious the store where he resides is right at the foot of a mountain that looks like a dormant volcano. But yea where the hell would keep spare hilts in the middle of battle.
Old 2009-10-05, 11:39   Link #238
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Oh now Shiroth why ever would she train i mean if she waits long enough a random power up card will present itself j/k however i am interested in seeing how this will play out.
Oh don't worry, i wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Or we get a time skip. So she'd be much better after a few years of training that we wouldn't see.
Old 2009-10-05, 11:52   Link #239
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I'm surprise that nobody is talking about the unintentional CargoShip that is about to happen.(You know what i'm talking about & i bet your making a lot jokes about it .)
Old 2009-10-05, 12:07   Link #240
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Guess I'm in the minority that found Cecily completely obnoxious...Meh give it a few episodes to make something watchable out of her I guess.

Lisa and Luke combo was quite enjoyable though.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen