Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-01-09, 16:11   Link #21
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Two points:
- you're not making a good case for real world politics. Between jackasses and jackasses who also happen to be cute girls, I'd rather have cute girls. (What I'd really like is deadly gladiatorial combat, so politicians could die a lot, but that's another story...)
- for decades idols have saved the world against alien invasions. How is that less ridiculous than political parties choosing good looking mouthpieces?
In real world politics, I think honest and sensible politicians aren't too much to ask for. That's what I mean about too much cynicism being poison to democracy. A good political satire like Yes Minister should seriously present the problems of government; bad satire is irresponsible.

Running a country is more clearly a complex, non-emotional problem than stopping a war, so this show does make Macross look even sillier; I'm still not sold on it being self-aware of silliness though.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-09, 16:43   Link #22
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
In real world politics, I think honest and sensible politicians aren't too much to ask for.
Eh. We have the politicians we deserve.

Quote:
That's what I mean about too much cynicism being poison to democracy. A good political satire like Yes Minister should seriously present the problems of government; bad satire is irresponsible.
If someone takes this show seriously, they were a problem before it went on air.

Quote:
Running a country is more clearly a complex, non-emotional problem than stopping a war, so this show does make Macross look even sillier; I'm still not sold on it being self-aware of silliness though.
It's not just Macross, and it's not just stopping wars.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-09, 17:55   Link #23
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
In real world politics, I think honest and sensible politicians aren't too much to ask for.
Yah think, right? Well, if you look at the current situation...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-09, 18:08   Link #24
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Eh. We have the politicians we deserve.

If someone takes this show seriously, they were a problem before it went on air.
Certainly that we deserve if we don't take politics seriously, which this show doesn't encourage us to do. A message to not take politics seriously is a serious political message.
Old 2017-01-09, 20:08   Link #25
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Feel free to do so, but you're probably taking it too seriously

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-09, 21:39   Link #26
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Two points:
- you're not making a good case for real world politics. Between jackasses and jackasses who also happen to be cute girls, I'd rather have cute girls. (What I'd really like is deadly gladiatorial combat, so politicians could die a lot, but that's another story...)
- for decades idols have saved the world against alien invasions. How is that less ridiculous than political parties choosing good looking mouthpieces?
My point was at least the real jackasses know how the government is set up, and they're old enough to have proper impulse control and a stable hormonal system.

And yes, alien invasions are ridiculous. But this is like when the Ninja Turtles started selling used cars. There's just a certain point when things go a little too far. And my point with politics was the sad fact that at least in my country things seem to be going that way: choose a candidate who's thoroughly unqualified because of his looks, then choose another who's no more qualified simply because of the alternative. Choosing people because of how well they sing is certainly no more pathetic than this, but again it's a point where the government and people decided to abandon all pretense of actually caring and that's a bad sign. At least our jackasses talked about stuff, tried to win people over with policies even if there's plenty of people who don't care about any of that, more than enough to sway the election. Far as I can tell these girls run on how hot they are and how fun their songs are. One thing's for sure though, the actual meetings are going to be something else. Just how DOES an idol who's worried about finals debate matters of economic and military importance?

Either way, I agree that this show is definitely not to be taken seriously, even IF you find it depressingly reminiscent of your country's current political situation. Still, I wish we could get something better than what we've got. Even if we don't deserve better, that doesn't mean we should stop wishing we could find someone with a little more decency. Also, I agree with Ghost's statement about running a country versus stopping a war. It may seem like idols stopping a war are just as ridiculous, but there really is a big difference between getting people to stop fighting and managing an entire country (a reason that stories of heroes who become king are more than a little unrealistic).

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2017-01-09 at 21:55.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 02:38   Link #27
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Certainly that we deserve if we don't take politics seriously, which this show doesn't encourage us to do. A message to not take politics seriously is a serious political message.
It's an anime with an absurd premise. Of course it's not a serious political message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
My point was at least the real jackasses know how the government is set up, and they're old enough to have proper impulse control and a stable hormonal system.
You'd think so, and then you remember the various sex scandals they've been caught in. (Real scandals, not "she's got a boyfriend when fans decided she shouldn't, for some dumb reason" scandals.)

Quote:
And yes, alien invasions are ridiculous. But this is like when the Ninja Turtles started selling used cars. There's just a certain point when things go a little too far. And my point with politics was the sad fact that at least in my country things seem to be going that way: choose a candidate who's thoroughly unqualified because of his looks, then choose another who's no more qualified simply because of the alternative. Choosing people because of how well they sing is certainly no more pathetic than this, but again it's a point where the government and people decided to abandon all pretense of actually caring and that's a bad sign. At least our jackasses talked about stuff, tried to win people over with policies even if there's plenty of people who don't care about any of that, more than enough to sway the election. Far as I can tell these girls run on how hot they are and how fun their songs are. One thing's for sure though, the actual meetings are going to be something else. Just how DOES an idol who's worried about finals debate matters of economic and military importance?
She can do what the other politicians who don't know shit despite being old men do and vote according to her party's instructions. It's not that complicated.

Quote:
Either way, I agree that this show is definitely not to be taken seriously, even IF you find it depressingly reminiscent of your country's current political situation. Still, I wish we could get something better than what we've got. Even if we don't deserve better, that doesn't mean we should stop wishing we could find someone with a little more decency. Also, I agree with Ghost's statement about running a country versus stopping a war.
And like I said, it's not just Macross.

And actually, my country's mostly fine on that front. Our politicians are still boring.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 09:26   Link #28
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
You'd think so, and then you remember the various sex scandals they've been caught in. (Real scandals, not "she's got a boyfriend when fans decided she shouldn't, for some dumb reason" scandals.)
Got me there. One of our most famous/popular presidents was pretty much known to be a sex addict. But I was talking more about other forms of impulse control, an ability to think things through on the job rather than just jump forward with the first feeling she has as if it was gospel truth, as well as sufficient knowledge to actually come to valuable conclusions. That and the emotional effects of having hormones through the roof with little to no balance or consistency to their levels. There's a reason high schoolers be crazy (sorry high school students, but a lot of you really are nuts). Those flooding hormones have some strong effects on how powerful different feelings and reactions can be, resulting in anything from fits of near-homicidal fury to bouts of near-suicidal depression. Doesn't matter whether you're a boy or a girl, until your brain has fully developed and your body and chemistry has finished its crazy roller coaster of change, you're just not fit for office. But anyway all I meant to say was I'm conflicted between feelings that a nation like that would be doomed and a depression that my own isn't all that much better off.

Still, I really am looking forward to knowing how idols debate. I rather doubt such emotion-driven people would just sit back and follow their party's instructions, especially when doing so requires them to thoroughly read and understand complex propositions that may have aspects their party does and doesn't support. But I just hope that they never try to convince the rest of them with a spontaneous concert...
Old 2017-01-10, 11:06   Link #29
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Hmmm... I didn't expect this much political debate, but I suppose it kind of makes sense, after all, this is an anime about a celebrity with no political experience somehow getting elected into office. Sound familiar from somewhere? That being said, she'll be hard pressed to do worse than a certain person who did this in real life XD!

Realistically though, I don't think this is meant to be taken any more seriously than any of the other idol anime out there, basically taking the idol theme and throwing in a bit of comedy with the regard to the idea of a J-pop idol running for political office by using performances as campaign events. However, I'm with a few other posters on here that I doubt this is a proposal for how to reform the Japanese government!

On the comedy side of things, I'm a little disappointed the Heroine Party didn't actually include a political platform, but deliver it in a catchy song and dance routine, which would have been amazing XD!
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 11:24   Link #30
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Their world makes so much more sense than ours!

They want entertaining politicians rather than sensible platforms, so they vote for entertainers! They care about idols because idols are doing something important!
I dunno, that doesn't sound too different from real life in my country
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 13:50   Link #31
outlaw97

No matter how ridiculous real world politics is right now, this show is definitely not meant to be taken seriously - the fact that they start talking about auras and actually visualize them should be a pretty dead giveaway.

My main point of contention so far is whether the show will actually explore its premise, or just be a one-line disguise for your typical idol show. In other words, extremely superficial mentioning of politics and focusing on the girls striving to be the best idol they can be, while doing dance/singing lessons, with some character drama and development sprinkled in so you can grow more attached and buy their character singles.

If that sounds really cynical, well, maybe it is - but I personally feel there's enough existing 2.5D idol franchises, so unless if the other aspect of this premise is touched on more I consider it lost potential. I want this premise taken to the extreme, a la Shimoneta (minus the lewdness). Have the opposing party fight fire with fire by bringing their own male idol group even!

Looking at it as an idol series, it definitely takes its inspirations to heart. I'm seeing the magical realism of Love Live, character design reminiscent of Tokyo 7th Sisters, a note to potentially the dark side of idols like Wake Up Girls, outfits and choreography of the Aikatsu aesthetic.
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-11, 00:06   Link #32
chaos_animagic

I for one welcome our new Idol rulers, would be so much better than the current rulers we have today..........
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-11, 18:42   Link #33
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Hmmm... I didn't expect this much political debate, but I suppose it kind of makes sense, after all, this is an anime about a celebrity with no political experience somehow getting elected into office. Sound familiar from somewhere? That being said, she'll be hard pressed to do worse than a certain person who did this in real life XD!

Realistically though, I don't think this is meant to be taken any more seriously than any of the other idol anime out there, basically taking the idol theme and throwing in a bit of comedy with the regard to the idea of a J-pop idol running for political office by using performances as campaign events. However, I'm with a few other posters on here that I doubt this is a proposal for how to reform the Japanese government!

On the comedy side of things, I'm a little disappointed the Heroine Party didn't actually include a political platform, but deliver it in a catchy song and dance routine, which would have been amazing XD!
It's not the first time sadly. In fact I've heard valid arguments for the guy coming right before the celebrity also being quite lacking in any proven qualification. And if you're talking about the celeb I myself was bemoaning, it's a little early to pass judgment.

But yeah I agree that much thought probably wasn't given to it; it just feels ironically so on account of timing. But I must say it is a weird choice. Like were they really running so completely out of things to have idols do that the best they could think of was senate?
Old 2017-01-12, 20:52   Link #34
grecefar

Idols and politics... lol they are everywhere.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-15, 12:40   Link #35
Dop
Mmmm....

Idol Bungee Jumping.
I'll repeat that.
Idol. Bungee. Jumping.

Like regular bungee jumping but with idols, so lots better, right?

You know, if this is going to go the Rio: Rainbow Gate route of having more and more ludicrous challenges each week it might be worth watching just to see what crazy things they can come up with. Though they'd have to go a long way to beat Rio's Holodeck Space Pinball.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-15, 14:48   Link #36
Seihai
スマイリウム

There's no way she survived that fall except she did. There's no way no one questioned the quality of the rope gear afterwards except no one did. There's just no way that... ah to hell with everything. Another episode full of ridiculous completely nonsensical and illogical situations that give me a chuckle while making me go WTF.
Old 2017-01-15, 18:21   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
As villains go, Idol Incidents one-shot villains have it really good.

They briefly get to seem like difficult challenging adversaries... and when they lose, they lose with a big bright smile on their face! Seriously, most anime villains ultimately get the crap beat out of them, or sent to jail, or even just simply die. Idol Incident one-shot villains just get treated to an ultimate Love Live/iM@S-like experience where they become super-happy cheering idol fans. Is it losing if it feels so much like winning?

Anyway, that was a truly joyful viewing experience. Just simple zany upbeat fun. And hey, if you want a good practical political message to come out of this show, the 2nd episode did have a good pro-environmentalist ending! This episode made me think of the old Captain Planet cartoon almost as much as it did idol anime.
Old 2017-01-15, 22:32   Link #38
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

How is Natsuki not dead after the bungee braking from that height But at less there alot better them other politicians
Old 2017-01-16, 01:26   Link #39
Yamada II

Episode 2

So this is going to be an idol show with a touch of politics here and there.

Lol Natsuki was kicked out of the Diet based on her preferred onigiri. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of discussion actually happens in this Diet out of Natsuki's dreams lol. Natsuki is getting some study sessions so that she can be upto date with the issues of the country and other stuff about how the Diet works etc.

Chinatsu was unwilling to work with the Heroine party due a personal grudge. So childish. These guys take party changes way too seriously. In politics this stuff happens on an almost regular basis. Guess she's not used to it yet. And how on earth does bungee jumping determine the strength of an idol? That was too stupid. And Natsuki is indestructible due to her strong willpower lol.

Liked how the Sunshine party got all the credit for fixing things when it was the Heroine party's idea and all. Nice job Mizuki. She wasn't even there until the very end when everything was done. And the leader of the Rougai party. That guy. The masses really are foolish and don't want change. The idols are trying to get people to vote for them instead of the corrupt Rougai but it isn't working on a larger scale. They have fans but not more supporters than the Rougai party has.

This show really won't stop being stupid and absurd lol. But I like it. Just hope that they at least keep this amount of politics here and don't ditch it completely.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-16, 08:54   Link #40
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Absolutely! That would be zany, self-aware comedy than anime does very well when it put's in a trace of effort. 'Mangirl' had a song and dance about Ryouma Sakamoto's naval reforms; in short a three minute show can have more thought than a full length.

The girl with the 'strong aura' did remind me that, while idols might chase personal glory, politicians ought to unite behind a strong leader for their county's good. Ought to; in practise they can be as selfish and spotlight-grabbing as any pop diva. Of course even strong personalities need to compromise and give their colleagues their due...That might have been a good moral, so probably not one appearing in this anime.

The bungee jump was endearingly ridiculous, until the rope snapped. I also have to mention that 'I won't explain myself, so people will hate me and feel better', is getting old, and wasn't all that good to start with.