AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-17, 18:41   Link #41
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
"... even when Americans do it... "

Anyways, you've already asked (and gotten an answer) in the anime forum. I guess I'll add that there *are* lots of strange/crazy fashion statements in Japan among teens. The movie is definitely overexaggerating (after all, you can't wear that in school!), but you should really open a Fruits book... You'll see worse (or better, depending on your POV).

It's also a matter of opinion though -- I like the weirdness, myself. (This just goes for the fashion in LoveCom... I'm not a fan of other types of "fashion" I've seen pics of.)

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-08-17 at 18:45. Reason: Added linky :D
Old 2007-08-17, 19:02   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokule View Post
I'm watching the live action movie right now and need to know if life in Japan for teenagers is really like this? I want to think no and it's just overly dramatic, but I know Japan is the home of the weird. Do people really wear their hats like that and dress like that? It's so trashy even when americans do it.
I have to object to the word "trashy" .... its colorful, sometimes garish but mainly its *fun*.

Many teens don't really *get* to dress like that (school garb to part time job garb to home and study) so escaping to a more colorful life in the form of a movie is par for the course. But on the weekend, more than a few teens and adults like to dress up for whatever clique they attach themselves to and have a sort of "easter parade" or park gatherings.

Trashy means you dress in a manner that you don't respect yourself, i.e. slovenly, unkempt -- basically doing a style poorly.
One young woman I know does the whole 'voodoo' dreadlock cajun princess garb thing --- and she looks fabulous because she pays attention to the details. Another example, one of my son's friends spent the summer in Japan, her host family bought her a gothic lolita outfit that really cost some money and she's going to wear it this fall at school --- its all about the details.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-17 at 22:17.
Old 2007-08-17, 21:22   Link #43
nanafan
horo fan

i would love to wear a goth lolita outfit! that would be fun.
Old 2007-08-18, 20:22   Link #44
sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalia View Post
Whoa, in the manga pic that you posted she looks soooo...wow!!!! I can't wait to see Risa like that in the anime and the expression on Otani's face when he'll see her before him...CAN'T WAIT!!!

I can't wait either and could somebody tell me that which chapter that pic belong to??????
Old 2007-10-05, 12:43   Link #45
Miles Teg

Lovely Complex will have a 17th volume, this last volume will have the 3 chapters of "Lovely Complex Plus" and the chapter "Lovely Complex Final".

The 3 chapter of "Lovely Complex Plus" take place before the start of the manga, and "Lovely Complex Final" take place after the manga.
Old 2007-10-05, 15:35   Link #46
Amalia

Send a message via MSN to Amalia
You mean that the final third chapter of Lovely Complex Plus takes place after their graduation? Oh God I wish that Otani and Risa are still couple. It would be such a pity, I like them so much together.
Old 2007-10-05, 16:28   Link #47
Miles Teg

Quote:
You mean that the final third chapter of Lovely Complex Plus takes place after their graduation? Oh God I wish that Otani and Risa are still couple. It would be such a pity, I like them so much together.
"Lovely Complex plus" (3 chapters) take place before the manga when they were in Junior High.

"Lovely Complex Final" (1 chapter) take place after the manga.
Old 2007-10-05, 16:31   Link #48
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

So how closely does the anime follow the manga?
Old 2007-10-06, 01:10   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So far... (at least volume 1 and 2), its like watching the extended version of the LOTR movies..... "the same" but "much more so"
Lots of detailing, background --- really quite a bit more mature (as in they frankly discuss their relationship and the platonic versus possible aspects of it).
Pretty much I'm finding it the way a anime vs manga *should* be, in my opinon.
You watch the anime for a shorthand view and then read the manga for the fully developed story.

Obviously, this may not hold as true as I get deeper into it --- but so far I'm pleased and the anime and manga seem nicely complementary.
Old 2007-10-06, 02:18   Link #50
Amalia

So the maine thing is that we really can't wait for "Lovely Complex Final"...

Awesome!And I'm the so called, impatient one.
Old 2007-10-06, 09:59   Link #51
prowse123

Location: The place where everyone is born... The edge of the Universe
really love the anime only thing is that the mangas are really hard to find.. even raws are hard to find T_T
Old 2007-10-06, 11:35   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's because the manga is licensed and being sold in the US/Canada.....
Its really easy to find ---> e.g. Barnes&Noble.
Old 2007-10-07, 03:20   Link #53
Amalia

OK... I found scanlations of the so called "Lovely Complex Final"... It was in raw but I could understand some things...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-11-07, 02:40   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The third volume of the english release of Love*Com is on the shelves (Viz media). Picked it up today, looking forward to some reading entertainment given volume 1 and 2.
Old 2007-11-07, 22:15   Link #55
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Quote:
OK... I found scanlations of the so called "Lovely Complex Final"... It was in raw but I could understand some things...

Spoiler:

Spoiler for LCF:
Old 2007-11-09, 21:25   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Really enjoyed volume 3 of Lov*Com (english). I can tell they're having to stretch the english language a bit to deal with the kansai-ben and chatter but hey....

Its interesting how the manga and anime are different yet similar. The Seiko introduction sequence was really fun to read and I have to say I like the Viz translation of her explanation.
Old 2007-11-10, 02:49   Link #57
Code-Doom
Shy girl

Send a message via MSN to Code-Doom
Lovely Complex is one of the bestttttt! It's simplely cute and I am very hooked onto it!!

I watched many animes and I am never hooked on any of them except Chrno Crusade... That was sad.. D=

Anyways! Lovely complex~ Anime is out right?
Old 2007-11-11, 01:10   Link #58
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, if you visit the anime section of the forum you'll find a thread on the anime version of Lovely*Complex. You can also still find the complete series of subs via animesuki as its not yet licensed.
http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1011.html

I'm reading the Viz Media english version of the manga Love*Com (volume 1-3 released so far) .... the story is great.... the translation is pretty decent though it loses the "kansai-ben" edge. The translator does give the characters a nice slangy edge to their dialog.
Old 2008-03-03, 02:28   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry about the double post... but no one seems to be remarking on this entertainging manga series.

Just picked up and read the fifth volume while on a flight.... I'm still quite impressed with the anime adaptation of this manga. Yeah the scenes are condensed or moved and some things happen out of order --- but its amazing how they've kept to the basic storyline and put in so many of the lines from the manga.

The manga itself is, of course, filled with Risa's inner emo turmoil -- but the characterizations are great, all of them. Nobu and her demonic rages, her "darling" side-stepping "whatever baby wants" beau, Seiko in all her, um, sparkly glory, and all the hilarious deformations. They're doing a fair job in that they've picked a kind of New York style snarkiness for the "kansai-ben" rather than the misleading Southern accent often used in manga and anime.

My only complaint are that the inking in the english distribution seems a bit faded.
I also find I get the occasional odd look because of the Lov*Com 'shoujo beat' girly jacket covers .... I just give them my homicidal smile.
Old 2008-03-03, 13:46   Link #60
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Next time someone looks at you, mumble then speak up"with farva beans" and make the ph ph ph sound Hannibal makes..then smile.
Closed Thread