Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-09-01, 19:22   Link #1
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Neverending animes...

Im just wondering how old am i going to be when Naruto, One Piece, Bleach or D Gray Man finally ends. Everytime i think about it i start getting depressed.
I would gradly sue the production companies or whoever is the mastermind behind this evil plan making us suffer for so many years this slow and painful one-episode-per-week releases.
I started watching Naruto when there were about 200+ episodes and the week or so that took me to watch them all were very nice but if someone told me that i would have to wait for indefinite amount of years to see the ending while having to deal with slow ass boring fillers, i would gladly not even start watching it.
Same goes with One Piece and Bleach, although those 2 seems to have some kind of ending at some point of the story. Naruto can simply go on until he dies of old age... and at this rate the episodes are released i might die even earlier ....
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 19:24   Link #2
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

lol...I'm so glad the Dragonball series ended.

I hope Naruto ends soon...the show lost all credibility when they pumped out 100 filler episodes... >_<

Bleach is...aight...
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 19:28   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Someone told me that if you watched like you used to, meaning, wait until there are 100 episodes of Naruto then marathon them all, then Shippuuden might be a bit easier on the heart.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 20:07   Link #4
Hikari no Clover

consider about Sazae-san , started from 1969 , still ongoing,over 1800+ ep.
Hikari no Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 20:33   Link #5
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
On the bright side, you'll have a sense of accomplishment after you watch all 9 million episodes of one of those animes. Either that, or feel like a total loser.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 21:16   Link #6
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Uhh...It's no different than regular TV that go on for seasons on end, like MASH, Seinfeld, 24, CSI, and the such...Seinfeld was a show pretty much about nothing that lasted 9 years and 8 seasons, and people were able to make it through to the end...

If you start worrying about not being able to outlive through a show, then you've probably become too attached to it...God knows I'm a die-hard LOST fan that finds it painful to have to wait over a half-year every year for the next season, and I can't wait for LOST to end since I wanna see how it ends, but I don't get depressed thinking about the length of time between now and then...Same thing with BLEACH, since that's a current long-running anime that I follow almost as religiously, but I don't worry about the show's end or anything like that...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 21:29   Link #7
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Uhh...It's no different than regular TV that go on for seasons on end, like MASH, Seinfeld, 24, CSI, and the such...Seinfeld was a show pretty much about nothing that lasted 9 years and 8 seasons, and people were able to make it through to the end...

If you start worrying about not being able to outlive through a show, then you've probably become too attached to it...God knows I'm a die-hard LOST fan that finds it painful to have to wait over a half-year every year for the next season, and I can't wait for LOST to end since I wanna see how it ends, but I don't get depressed thinking about the length of time between now and then...Same thing with BLEACH, since that's a current long-running anime that I follow almost as religiously, but I don't worry about the show's end or anything like that...
I think the problem (for me at least) isn't how long stuff is, but how filler-ish they can be. I haven't heard about any complaints about One Piece or D.Gray-Man yet, but Naruto and Bleach suffers from long fillers that make its viewers go "wtf."

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-09-01 at 23:24.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 21:36   Link #8
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

[QUOTE=MidnightViper88;1859101]Uhh...It's no different than regular TV that go on for seasons on end, like MASH, Seinfeld, 24, CSI, and the such...Seinfeld was a show pretty much about nothing that lasted 9 years and 8 seasons, and people were able to make it through to the end.../QUOTE]

Dude...Seinfeld was so good that they made an awesome 9 season series about absolutely nothing. (they even had an episode that made a spoof of this)

Now THAT'S EPIC!
Old 2008-09-01, 22:18   Link #9
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

well i just needed to say it .... feeling better now xD

Im quitting anime for a while since they are getting boring and i watched almost all of the ones im interested in. As for naruto, one piece and bleach... ill check on them whenever they end it.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 23:35   Link #10
-Kh-
ポルカ

You don't seem to realise that in Japan many Mangas run for many years, so might span for over 10 years, on a single chapter per week.

If you want a non-japanese example, look at the american comics, DC or Marvel, many of their stories, or just pic a character and look at how long they have been releasing comics about them, either being under a same title, or different ones.

You want another example of long never ending series? The Simpsons and South Park.
Maybe something not related to animation, the first Stargate series started 11 years ago, Lost is currently in its 4th season and will end after the sixth one, 24 spanning about 7 seasons, and Star Trek going for over 40 years and with 7 different series.

Granted american TV series don't run 52 episodes per year, but still is a good example.

And well, besides the animes that you names in the OP, those aren't the only animes that are been broadcasted currently in Japan, as you should know. You said you have already watched the animes that interested you, so either you just picked a few from the huge amount of anime that can be found since 30-40 years ago, or you just aren't interested in anime that much.

That's fair enough, you already watched what you wanted, you got tired of the airing series, however don't forget that every 3 months new series are being broadcasted, so there will always be something new to watch besides the 4 long-time running series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
lol...I'm so glad the Dragonball series ended.

I hope Naruto ends soon...the show lost all credibility when they pumped out 100 filler episodes... >_<

Bleach is...aight...

Um.. If you don't like watching fillers, then just read the manga, that pretty much solves the problem. I've been doing that since 2005 when the fillers started.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 00:28   Link #11
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Main reason why I stopped watching western shows was that it takes practically forever to get to the end. And somewhere along the way, I got tired of how Dragonball and Sailor moon never seemed to end, and that has affected me even to this day.

As such, I tend to avoid anything that has more than 50 episodes (heck, there's few 50 episode series I finish in the end). 1-2 cour series, please.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 07:40   Link #12
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Yeah I was wondering about D.Gray Man lately, so it really is going to be like another Bleach/Naruto? Damn I didn't want to believe it. I remembered it was listed as 50 episodes or so in the beginning so I kept downloading the subbed episodes. I stopped after 50 or so but man do I feel dumb now getting them all only to realise it's going to be another never-ending series. I was hoping it would stop soon.

My problem with these never-ending series is that I don't know when I can ever start watching them. I like collecting all episodes and marathoning them, but I can only store this much anime on my hard drive and I am definitely not going to burn onto dvds a series I may end up disliking. I did watch Naruto, Bleach and One Piece back when I just got into anime, but I caught up with the subs and realised sometime later I really hated waiting for continuation. The only long series I don't mind following are episodic ones, like Gintama for example.
Old 2008-09-02, 08:02   Link #13
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kh- View Post
Um.. If you don't like watching fillers, then just read the manga, that pretty much solves the problem. I've been doing that since 2005 when the fillers started.
Reading manga and watching anime is not the same thing... >_>
Old 2008-09-02, 08:06   Link #14
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

I started watching one piece because i wanted to know what the one piece is. Needless to say i dropped it and now i read manga-summaries every now and then to keep myself somewhat up to date.
I don't watch anything over 50 episodes (52 etc. is still acceptable though) as they're more than enough to tell an epic and adventurous tale.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 08:12   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Just be proud to be someone who has watched and hopefully will continue following One Piece.

It is probably the best 'neverending' anime that has ever aired. Its one story that will never be dull, provides neverending surprises and promises you enjoyment and fufilment. It brings you joy and tears so honestly and makes you want for more. All these are credited to the genius of author, Oda Eiichiro.

Of course the anime had some fillers, but most of them are still very good, comparing to the likes of many other filler plagued shows. But the manga is a non-stop emotional roller coaster ride, bringing amazement, excitement, joy and tears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
Needless to say i dropped it and now i read manga-summaries every now and then to keep myself somewhat up to date.
Don't just read summaries, read the manga itself, its totally different from the anime experience and definitely much more than you can imagine from a summary.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 10:39   Link #16
Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius

Send a message via Yahoo to Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius
Doraemon and Crayon Shinchan
Old 2008-09-02, 10:46   Link #17
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I generally find most long term series boring, however there have been exceptions Like Inuyasha and Lupin the III. However watching plenty of American series like Lost and House through many seasons I've gotten use to watching long series over many seasons. The main problem with long anime series though are fillers.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 13:13   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

One of the things that initially attracted me to anime was discovering the large number of "mini-series" that had a beginning, and an end. It actually ended.

American series have long suffered from the "nothing ever really happens" and now when they *do* something (character dies) they are so obviously just sucking for the eyeball count rather than seriously telling a story that ("Tonight, on ER, we KILL one of your best-loved characters. Stay tuned!").

Anyway, I'm not against never-ending stories as long as they seriously evolve - but it means the story has to involve an ensemble of characters rather than just a handful so that characters can move off, leave for college, die in a tragedy,e tc.
Old 2008-09-02, 17:17   Link #19
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Anyway, I'm not against never-ending stories as long as they seriously evolve - but it means the story has to involve an ensemble of characters rather than just a handful so that characters can move off, leave for college, die in a tragedy,e tc.
In One Piece, we tend to look back over the ten years of the manga and think how much the characters have grown physically and mentally. The characters growth can be seen as a reflection of the author becoming more mature himself, accompanying the story are us, the readers.

But then we are reminded, the characters have not even went through 1 year in the story, probably just a few months. This means that their growth is relatively high, extreme character development and exponential increase for the fighting powers. Characters find themselves cowards becoming heroes, loners becoming leaders and such, while all retaining their goal to achieve their dreams together, with it being their driving forces. The characters grow in fighting ability not just on a personal level, but as a full team/crew, they learnt to depend and help one another, uniting to overcome all diversities.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 17:26   Link #20
Calca
Expressionless

Bleach is the only anime over 50+ episodes I have followed and watched. I'll lose interest if it goes on too long.

Now if an anime like Code Geass went on for 100+ episodes, I'd follow each one for sure.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote