AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2012-02-11, 09:45   Link #941
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
But the thing is that she is the king on the chessboard. If the king has to set moves, then the game is basically lost
Oh no. In chess, the king is valuable in the end game. The less pieces on the board, the safer the king is in being used offensively. Especially handy when combined with a few pawns. i.e. Isse.
Old 2012-02-11, 12:11   Link #942
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

People who don't pay chess often forget that the King is also a piece to be used. And quite a powerful one at that, what with it threatening each space around it. Plus the added quirk of being the only piece that can't be captured before the game is over. On a mostly empty board, it really needs just one piece to guard it as it goes on the offensive.

On Devil's contracts. You know that Devils are absolutely notorious for not collecting their fee until many years after the service that has been granted by them. For one, this leads to the possiblity of said contractor to ask for more favors, thus increasing the final debt.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 12:29   Link #943
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
People who don't pay chess often forget that the King is also a piece to be used. And quite a powerful one at that, what with it threatening each space around it. Plus the added quirk of being the only piece that can't be captured before the game is over. On a mostly empty board, it really needs just one piece to guard it as it goes on the offensive.
I once had a memorable game, where the middle of the board is crowded with pawns from both sides. The opponent's Queen and Rook attacked my rear, so I just marched my king into the pawn maze. The amusing thing is that he ended up unable to get near me, as I used the pawns from both sides as cover. My king manages to get all the way to the end of the board and help in the checkmate on the other side.

Rias and Isse need each other, and I find their relationship and the association between King and Pawn most fitting.
Old 2012-02-11, 14:32   Link #944
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Episode 6 was pretty good overall, and I certainly agree with the sentiment that DxD is at its best when it doesn't come down to action. Even if a bit heavy handed, I liked how they managed to slip in a more serious mood (and more serious Issei near the end) regarding Rias' quandaries about romance, love and her thoughts wandering elsewhere all the time. An obvious indication of an arranged marriage if I ever saw one, but it works fairly well at giving Rias more potential for character depth, and Issei likewise by proxy.

On one hand it's almost a shame, because I certainly enjoy the confident and focused Rias, and I fear we might be getting less of it the more this issue is pushed. On the other hand, it serves as a chance for more character development for both the lead characters, and perhaps gives us a hint that Rias has been feeling drawn towards Issei all along. Despite how comfortable she feels about showing off her body to him, this episode certainly doesn't give the impression she would be willing to do that in front of just about anyone, either. I mean, yeah, her having feelings for Issei was to be expected all along, but it's still nice to see a nod in the direction.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the ordeal surrounding her (likely) arranged marriage turns out to be the final conflict and climax of the show, providing us with the final antagonist as the result. The blond guy whom Issei is clashing against in the OP (and who appeared at the end of episode 5) would be my guess ... given how strongly Issei feels about the purity of romance after his Yuuma-chan incident, this will probably give him ample amounts of motivation to kick the guy's ass back to whatever hellpit he crawled out from, secure his king (that doesn't sound right ) as result, and fail to act on another breast-touching-chance reward.

I haven't quite figured out how, but this show manages to be more entertaining for me than it should have any business to be, given the content. And yet, against the odds, it comes off as surprisingly fun and non-offensive to watch, on the whole. Here's hoping it keeps it up.
Old 2012-02-11, 15:55   Link #945
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I'm actually satisfied at how they handled this episode coming after the end of a serious arc. Asia relocates to Issei's home after his parents learned from her that he's a good boy, after all.

The perv Issei is back and determined to get strong enough to become the Harem King, which rings on me that maybe the reason he gets all the weirdos to get contracts with due:
1. He's just not too experienced or at a level of strength to handle more complicated contracts or refined summoners. This point could be plausible given that Rias arranged to have Asia her debut as a Devil to get contracts, although Issei countered that Asia entered the Gremory clan too recently. For another counter, Rias explained to Issei that Asia's magic is at a level of compatibility close to Akeno making Issei to start feeling down that his junior would be above him.
2. Issei's simply got this eternal bad-luck trope on him. This other point also could have validity because in the next visit Rias accompanied him as a coach for him to handle the summoner and get the contract, and, although the next summoner turned out to be a girl afterall, nevertheless, she was practically scariest and weird under that civil-war armor. Rias was with him on that second visit, and yet Issei didn't have luck to get his hands on a fairly normal summoner again.
3. Getting all the weird clients is part of Rias's plan all along and from behind the scenes for him to get properly worked up at how Devils get contracts, probably because everyone starts from the bottom to work their way to the summit. Since Issei's been having repeated misses, Rias stepped in as coach to properly assess him.

And, Issei's friendly side pretty much clashed with his pervy side, because Issei wouldn't allow for Asia to start getting contracts too soon out of fear that she'll end up with a weird or perverted summoner. The irony since Issei's pretty much a perv by himself, and he looked Asia's undergarments at the start of the episode.
However, let us not forget that recently Asia was saved from the ordeal by the Fallen Angels, and all kinds of trauma she had to endure. Hence, it is understandable Issei's protective nature to be wary for Asia's safety.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 21:41   Link #946
Squire James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Oh no. In chess, the king is valuable in the end game. The less pieces on the board, the safer the king is in being used offensively. Especially handy when combined with a few pawns. i.e. Isse.
I know from experience that you cannot force a Checkmate with only a King/Bishop or King/Knight combo, even if the opposing King is alone. However, a Rook or Queen can easily force a Checkmate, which is why Rooks are scored higher in most "points" chess systems than Bishops and Knight despite being fairly equal in actual power.

A King and a Pawn can win because the King can protect the Pawn until it reaches the other end and promptly becomes a Queen or Rook. A non-promoted Pawn is not good enough, and the King has to maneuver carefully to protect the Pawn on its way over.

As for the Anime, I'm just hoping the makers Did Their Research just so there is no repeat of that Code Geass fiasco! If you're going to represent your main character as a chess master, and you play a match in-episode, LEARN THE RULES OF THE GAME!
Squire James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 22:32   Link #947
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire James View Post
I know from experience that you cannot force a Checkmate with only a King/Bishop or King/Knight combo, even if the opposing King is alone. However, a Rook or Queen can easily force a Checkmate, which is why Rooks are scored higher in most "points" chess systems than Bishops and Knight despite being fairly equal in actual power.

A King and a Pawn can win because the King can protect the Pawn until it reaches the other end and promptly becomes a Queen or Rook. A non-promoted Pawn is not good enough, and the King has to maneuver carefully to protect the Pawn on its way over.

As for the Anime, I'm just hoping the makers Did Their Research just so there is no repeat of that Code Geass fiasco! If you're going to represent your main character as a chess master, and you play a match in-episode, LEARN THE RULES OF THE GAME!
There is no danger of that. DxD doesn't actually contain any chess. However, the chess motives used made me think for certain that the author is definitely a chess player. He knows more than just the rules, that's for sure.

(In defence of Code Geass, the characters in the show don't follow rules. Rules are only for the 99% peasantry. Rulers and Nobles cheat by default, and if you are not willing to break the rules then you lose.)

As for bishops and knights, that's not exactly true. You can force a checkmate using your opponent's own pieces to help. One thing about Rooks is that they are the most powerful in late game when there is a lot of empty room. In early and mid game, where pawns block off the battlefield, knights rule. Bishops are good if and only if you set up your own pawns out of its way(i.e. a Good Bishop).

Pawns are special in that, they really are important from the beginning of the game to the end.
Old 2012-02-11, 22:42   Link #948
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
There's huge chance of love triangle between Issei, Rias and Asia, at least for me.
It seems like there's going to be as well, but w/ only a few more episodes I have a feeling the triangle issue won't get resolved. That's good in a way b/c it keeps the anime interesting and leaves more content for another season.

While watching episode 6, I was bored most of the time. However, during the last few minutes it really got my attention. That last scene w/ Rias and Issei hugging was emotional and it was a nice change from the usual ecchi content. Don't get my wrong, I'm not saying I dislike the ecchi content; far from that . All I'm saying is that it's nice to have those emotional moments that provide depth to the storyline and character development, especially in an anime such as this one in which there's not a great emphasis on plot development, but rather towards fan-service. Rias's attitude and the music playing in the background towards the end concluded the episode very nicely. I got to say, overall, I really enjoyed this episode b/c of the ending.
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 11:17   Link #949
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Episode six

Hmmm, a quiet, laid back ep = quiet thread. Nice ep, yeah, but....I've been keeping an eye on this thread since Saturday, and you all are very, very very bad viewers.

How come no one likes to talk about Asia's butt? *runs*

Don't tell me the broadcast station pulled the loli card again, seriously only Koneko-chan qualifies as a loli and she deserves to be censored *Koneko throws a house at mangatron* Gack! I'm sorry Konyanko-chan!

... and really, Asia just joins the club and she gets a shower scene. Rias gets shower scenes. And yet, Akeno has not ever taken a shower. The second hottest girl in the academy has to keep her body pure, so that means she must shower at least once a day, and I MUST SEE IT

AHem.... oh yes, quiet ep. Nice to know Rias can't sleep unless she's naked, ah time to find those sleeping pills I think I have... *cough* What else is there to talk about...oh yeah, Issei is a failure of a pervert. What is wrong with that guy, mental preparation how? You waited the whole day, suffered anxiety during the contract mission, you were in a hurry for your reward and when the time comes, you gotta perpare yourself? What the heck man, if I was there, and Rias starts counting, I'm pouncing her, it's Glomp City, I'll be fondling her and mmmmmmotorboating like my neck is a power tool, and when she counted to five, she'd be like "times up" but my head would be buried in her big ones and I'll be like "what? I can't hear you, there's too much echoing in these mountains" and I'll keep doing what I'm doing until she tsuntsun punches me towards the skies and-.....

Wait a minute, this isn't about the ep anymore...how did a page from my delusion diary end up on here...

Finally, next ep student council-chan! Please don't make her appear for just 5 silly seconds.... and what's with that slime?!?! NO ONE VIOLATES MY WAIFU

oh, you better start rocking that avatar, DirectX. My greatest masterpiece yet(with transparency!), yeah I had to re-color each individual frame for that, now Rias has yummy skin and doesn't look like a zombie anymore
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 11:54   Link #950
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
How come no one likes to talk about Asia's butt? *runs*
Two reasons...
  • Has to compete with Rias' butt
  • Asia lost 99% of her charm not being abused by psycho priests and lesbian angels
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 14:24   Link #951
rafael1932
claymores pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
In high school dxd it's not how it works. When you make a contract depending on what your wish is, that will determine the price to be paid. It also varies for people. Like a poor person wishing for money would have a higher price associated than a rich person wishing for money.
Thanks but I am sad because I thought that he would be able to build a small harem and after that would come several problems like the girls running from him because they refuse to have sex or the girls starting to beat the shit out of him every time he makes a move on them.

But I still don’t get what the girl in armor gave to him or what he needs to get slaves – perhaps I am wrong but the leader said to him that he would be able to get slaves and have sex with them if he wishes for
rafael1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 15:06   Link #952
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael1932 View Post
Thanks but I am sad because I thought that he would be able to build a small harem and after that would come several problems like the girls running from him because they refuse to have sex or the girls starting to beat the shit out of him every time he makes a move on them.

But I still don’t get what the girl in armor gave to him or what he needs to get slaves – perhaps I am wrong but the leader said to him that he would be able to get slaves and have sex with them if he wishes for
Give the guy some time and he'll build the harem. Thing is do you want some random slave human womans or a complete super ultimate harem containing humans/devils/angels/valkyries/cats/wolfs/and other characters.
And its still a <18 novel so no sex there, at least for the main cast and not in the open.
Old 2012-02-12, 15:17   Link #953
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Certainly, the signs of a love triangle are there. But maybe it can resolve itself into a true harem, with Rias accepting that her servant can be with the other women, as long as she is the boss and his #1. He'd be cool with that, and after all, they are all demons, and perhaps don't have the same moral feelings as humans.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 15:40   Link #954
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Certainly, the signs of a love triangle are there. But maybe it can resolve itself into a true harem, with Rias accepting that her servant can be with the other women, as long as she is the boss and his #1. He'd be cool with that, and after all, they are all demons, and perhaps don't have the same moral feelings as humans.
Considering Rias' extensive pondering about love and being depressed about what likely is her arranged marriage, I'd say her feelings on the matter don't really differ from the norm. Being turned in to a demon hasn't really changed Issei or Asia either, so from the looks of it, being a devil doesn't really carry any passive personality traits as part of the heritage.

As for Issei, I don't really get the feeling he would actually want a harem. Highschool male fantasies aside (of which he certainly has a lot of ), as his incident with Yuuma showed, he would actually cherish an actual relationship were he to find himself in one. Given the apparently strong opinions he has developed on 'purity' (for lack of a better term) of romance as result of said incident, no, I actually don't think he would be all that cool with the situation either.

As far as I can see, all the harem talk is basically fun and games (and lots of pent up sexual frustration channeled into fantasy ), but I doubt he would actually extend them to practice, even if given the chance.

So ... yeah, I don't get the feeling that a "harem" would be the answer to the likely developing love triangle. It's pretty amusing though how Rias is basically in the process of helping Asia get closer to Issei, (moving her in to his house/class and all) - the same Asia that is likely to become her closest contender for Issei's affection. Indeed, if there is to be a love triangle, Asia feels like the most likely rival by far. Makes me wonder if Rias won't regret cultivating her own biggest foil somewhere down the line
Old 2012-02-12, 16:15   Link #955
Xaturas

Love triangle such down to earth wishes hahaha.
Just from opening/ending you can guess that its bigger than triangle.
Question is when will it stop, square/cube or god know how many girls XD.
Just from op/ed you have Asia/Rias/Akeno, probably Koneko to but shes shy. Now its a matter of time before new characters will be added.
But we talk about whole story and not anime only. As anime can either end with an *omph* as its going to. Or it can continue later as novels have enough material for 2-3 seasons.
Old 2012-02-12, 16:19   Link #956
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, either way it's no secret that Asia has a thing for him.

It's possible that Rias is also developing somewhat of a thing for him, but it's still too early to be sure. The hints are there tho.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 21:05   Link #957
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Well according to the OP, Akeno is going to join his harem

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 21:57   Link #958
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Episode.6, what the? Steam censor on the butt? When Asia fell down there was no panty shot? You gotta be kidding me? lol At least there are alot of Rias fanservice.

Anyways one thing I can describe this episode when they're doing demon contracts...Mahou Shou-Noooo~~!!! Or Creppy cosplayers....

Either way signs of interest are there with Akeno with Issie in the ending, though even Issie maybe the typical kid that has perverted instincts, I like how he matured in a way about talking about love and dating with Rias.

Next episode slime+acid=melting clothes. YES!!!
Old 2012-02-12, 22:52   Link #959
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Would have been five glorious seconds...
Old 2012-02-12, 23:10   Link #960
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Bath Poster product

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen