AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-04-30, 09:43   Link #41
larethian

Sad to say, Soviet may be right. Since I'm not going to get mine till next week, I went to look at the walkthroughs at g-seeker and I found some unexpected unpleasant surprises.
Spoiler for route availability; could be spoilerific:
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 21:34   Link #42
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Sad to say, Soviet may be right. Since I'm not going to get mine till next week, I went to look at the walkthroughs at g-seeker and I found some unexpected unpleasant surprises.
Spoiler for route availability; could be spoilerific:
All I can say so far is that the opening prologue chapter is good......

Those walkthroughs don't give away plot information do they? Just the standard click this click that stuff?
Old 2011-04-30, 22:09   Link #43
Seitsuki
Onee!

g seeker walkthroughs are simply the choices, yes. And usually where to save in order for more CGs/other routes.

Ceui huh?.. I remember, they did the OP and ED for Sola as well didn't they? Ahh, the memories
Old 2011-04-30, 22:10   Link #44
larethian

I've played the prologue in the web trial, that's why I felt like getting trolled by August, and yes there is no plot info in the walkthroughs, though one can definitely find them on 2ch, though I'm not going to do that.
Old 2011-04-30, 22:17   Link #45
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I've played the prologue in the web trial, that's why I felt like getting trolled by August, and yes there is no plot info in the walkthroughs, though one can definitely find them on 2ch, though I'm not going to do that.
So is a bit too early to judge no?

Just gotta keep playing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
g seeker walkthroughs are simply the choices, yes. And usually where to save in order for more CGs/other routes.

Ceui huh?.. I remember, they did the OP and ED for Sola as well didn't they? Ahh, the memories
Hell Yeah...Mellow Melody....sheer bliss. She and Kalafina have got to be the top in this genre...
Old 2011-05-04, 20:40   Link #46
larethian

Ok, I finished Fione arc. Didn't really time myself, about 10 to 12 hours I'd say, though I went through the prologue very fast (which I recall was about 5-6 hours or so of length previously). There's a new collectible CG and about 10% of the dialogue in the prologue are new. Nothing major though. And Orz has a face now.

why I say it's an arc rather than a route:
Spoiler for apparent game structure, no story spoilers:

Last edited by larethian; 2011-05-05 at 20:13. Reason: I must be dreaming, edit Fiona to Fione
Old 2011-05-05, 10:18   Link #47
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

So it works exactly like G-senjou then? Hopefully Eustia's route is great then, because the other routes in G-senjou were pretty bad as well IMO.
Old 2011-05-05, 20:19   Link #48
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usami_Haru View Post
So it works exactly like G-senjou then? Hopefully Eustia's route is great then, because the other routes in G-senjou were pretty bad as well IMO.
actually not exactly. in comparison G-Sen has sub-plots, and they are a few hours long. but then again, I've only done Fione. maybe Licia and Coletto may have better sub-plots, due to their roles in the story. Argh, doubt I can complete it soon though, since I'll be busy the entire next week.

and it's funny, now all the supporting characters are trying to push me to Eris.

and of the all the preorder freebies, my favorite is the booklet, it comes with some yummy colored art not found in the VN, and have some introduction to the character design, and pre-design drawings.

and btw, I reckoned you play Haru's route first in G-Sen? they aren't that bad if you have played them in order.
Old 2011-05-06, 22:00   Link #49
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usami_Haru View Post
The.....how shall I say.....plot progression is more like Chaos;Head. You just read through from start to end with certain sections devoted to certain characters. Except you can't pick the order in Chaos;Head.
Old 2011-05-07, 12:28   Link #50
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Except you can't pick the order in Chaos;Head.
You can't pick the order in Eustia

An easy way to explain the story progression in Eustia is to say - there are no other routes than the main one. While not strictly technically true, it is true for all practical intents and purposes. The usual story progression for VNs, that we are all used to, is to have a segment of the story dedicated to the "common route", and from there the story branches off in several directions, depending on your choices. These branches being the heroine paths, each covering significant ground on its own.

In Eustia, it is safe to say that nothing significant exists beyond the "Common route", which takes the story to its closure. The story was never written with the intent to be multi-pathed one in a serious manner. The story of Eustia progresses in a preset manner, taking the reader through several chapters, each chapter being largely focused on a different heroine. The order being

Fione (shared with Eustia, i guess)-> Eris -> Irene (Colette) -> Licia -> Caim/Eustia

Near the end of each chapter, you get a choice that basically amounts to "Do you wish to take her home" If you choose this option, you get treated to 20-30 minutes long omake-worthy wrap-up, including a H scene or two. Then you are back at the title screen. If you choose Fione, the story progression would be: Fione's chapter -> end. If you choose Eris, it would be Fione's chapter -> Eris' chapter -> end. The "end" being said 30 minute long reading material with a H scene.

You can hardly call those as "paths", more like omakes that are accessible directly from the game screen via choice, rather than having to return to the title screen and entering the omake section. The actual storyline is one, and it basically gets cut off should you make these 'wrong' choices. The game basically ends 20-30 minutes after you make a choice that doesn't advance you towards Eustia's ending. The story was writting with a single destination in mind, that being Eustia. The other "gettable" heroines are main characters that got H scenes added for them to meet the traditional eroge marketing demands

A rather bold move by August, but personally i am quite fine with it - August has always been a company writing around a "true end" path, except this time they have taken it a step further and all but abolished the other heroine paths completely, in favor of one grand storyline.

The good thing this accomplishes is - it gives all the heroines a role to play in the grand scheme of things without having to be Caim's love interest. They can all be heroines at the same time, in their own right, all having their own significant roles to play as the story unfolds.

I guess the downside is, people who don't really like Eustia that much (if that is even possible ) are a bit washed up, as the other heroine routes don't have anything to offer story-wise, just one or two H scenes and a briefing how the characters made it to the bed in order to deliver said H scene. Just about the only "route" (other than Eustia, obviously) which wasn't completely silly was Licia's, but that isn't saying much in the grand scheme of things.

So ...yeah. For all intents and purposes, Eustia may well be a kinetic novel, with an added feature to view some H scenes for the other major characters that star in the title. Interesting approach, i wonder how it will pan out for August in the long run. Now excuse me while i go back to being depressed in my corner, the ending left a rather bitter aftertaste in my mouth.
Old 2011-05-07, 13:09   Link #51
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
You can't pick the order in Eustia

An easy way to explain the story progression in Eustia is to say - there are no other routes than the main one. While not strictly technically true, it is true for all practical intents and purposes. The usual story progression for VNs, that we are all used to, is to have a segment of the story dedicated to the "common route", and from there the story branches off in several directions, depending on your choices. These branches being the heroine paths, each covering significant ground on its own.

In Eustia, it is safe to say that nothing significant exists beyond the "Common route", which takes the story to its closure. The story was never written with the intent to be multi-pathed one in a serious manner. The story of Eustia progresses in a preset manner, taking the reader through several chapters, each chapter being largely focused on a different heroine. The order being

Fione (shared with Eustia, i guess)-> Eris -> Irene (Colette) -> Licia -> Caim/Eustia

Near the end of each chapter, you get a choice that basically amounts to "Do you wish to take her home" If you choose this option, you get treated to 20-30 minutes long omake-worthy wrap-up, including a H scene or two. Then you are back at the title screen. If you choose Fione, the story progression would be: Fione's chapter -> end. If you choose Eris, it would be Fione's chapter -> Eris' chapter -> end. The "end" being said 30 minute long reading material with a H scene.

You can hardly call those as "paths", more like omakes that are accessible directly from the game screen via choice, rather than having to return to the title screen and entering the omake section. The actual storyline is one, and it basically gets cut off should you make these 'wrong' choices. The game basically ends 20-30 minutes after you make a choice that doesn't advance you towards Eustia's ending. The story was writting with a single destination in mind, that being Eustia. The other "gettable" heroines are main characters that got H scenes added for them to meet the traditional eroge marketing demands

A rather bold move by August, but personally i am quite fine with it - August has always been a company writing around a "true end" path, except this time they have taken it a step further and all but abolished the other heroine paths completely, in favor of one grand storyline.

The good thing this accomplishes is - it gives all the heroines a role to play in the grand scheme of things without having to be Caim's love interest. They can all be heroines at the same time, in their own right, all having their own significant roles to play as the story unfolds.

I guess the downside is, people who don't really like Eustia that much (if that is even possible ) are a bit washed up, as the other heroine routes don't have anything to offer story-wise, just one or two H scenes and a briefing how the characters made it to the bed in order to deliver said H scene. Just about the only "route" (other than Eustia, obviously) which wasn't completely silly was Licia's, but that isn't saying much in the grand scheme of things.

So ...yeah. For all intents and purposes, Eustia may well be a kinetic novel, with an added feature to view some H scenes for the other major characters that star in the title. Interesting approach, i wonder how it will pan out for August in the long run. Now excuse me while i go back to being depressed in my corner, the ending left a rather bitter aftertaste in my mouth.
Not the first developers to do it though....Ef was also like that...it does make storytelling easier. In the end, it still boils down to the scenario makers..
Old 2011-05-07, 13:31   Link #52
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I do have to say that I like the sound of that, as I hate it when suddenly all the other heroines suddenly disappear when you're set on a route.

And, if it's anything like Ef, I'm quite sure that I'll love it.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 13:40   Link #53
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
I do have to say that I like the sound of that, as I hate it when suddenly all the other heroines suddenly disappear when you're set on a route.

And, if it's anything like Ef, I'm quite sure that I'll love it.
Err no...it is miles different from Ef. The entire feel is different and yes, I would still rate Ef as superior even from just the opening chapter alone...
Old 2011-05-07, 13:56   Link #54
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Aww...Well, I don't have much time anyways, so it should be quite a while before I get around to playing it...If I ever play it at all.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 18:59   Link #55
Blago

Just finished Collette arc, I have to say it kept me interested so far, though I did expect a bit more action from Caim and kind of pissed me off when he got owned so bad in Eris arc after how strong he seemed, specially in the prologue. Skipped through the subpaths, they seem to be even way worse than they were in G-Senjou but who cares, I expect the true ending to be awesome. Shoudoubutsu isn't hot at all, but she's the most likable heroine so far, this VN has one of the worst ero I've ever saw anyway so who cares. Btw, how do you get Iris and Claudia appendix scenes? I've only got Risa so far.
Blago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 02:24   Link #56
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blago View Post
Just finished Collette arc, I have to say it kept me interested so far, though I did expect a bit more action from Caim and kind of pissed me off when he got owned so bad in Eris arc after how strong he seemed, specially in the prologue.
Caim isn't weak at all, he simply got outclassed at the end of Eris chapter. Even considering the fact assassins aren't really about direct confrontations, and the fact he is likely out of shape (seeing he no longer does assassinations), Caim is still the third strongest person around, in terms of physical ability. He is not the strongest though, and he won't be owning someone who is literally living by the sword.

Quote:
Shoudoubutsu isn't hot at all, but she's the most likable heroine so far, this VN has one of the worst ero I've ever saw anyway so who cares.
To be fair, i don't think Tia was ever intended to be "hot"

Quote:
Btw, how do you get Iris and Claudia appendix scenes? I've only got Risa so far.
I 'think' you have to complete the game first, then Iris omake will be unlocked. After completing the one for Iris, Claudia's will be unlocked. It could be that Iris can be unlocked sooner (And Claudia by extension, probably), but not sure - i didn't touch the appendix section until i had completed the main story.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2011-05-08 at 10:43.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 18:27   Link #57
Blago

Yeah, I already understood that when I read it, but those were my thoughts at the moment anyway, and this VN obviously isn't hentai based, whoever comes here with that main purpose must be quite astray.

Now...I've just finished Licia's arc and I'm quite impressed, leaving aside the fact that both the plot and Caim need another chapter to shine, IMO overall it was good enough to be a good final chapter. Unlike the previous two chapters, this time the heroine didn't become annoying in the whole chapter, probably this was also due to the fact that she shared the protagonism with other interesting characters, anyway she is my favorite so far. I hope the last chapter is even better, too bad now the weekend ends, and it'll probably take me the whole week to finish the game :/

Btw, I can't find the battle cg's in the cg viewer, I thought they would be in the others section, but they aren't. And what the hell does bustup mean? maybe it's related with what I've previously said and is unlocked after finishing the game along with BG section? Oh, and I finally got Iris appendix scene, and after seeing it Claudia's as you said, seems like you don't need to finish the game.
Old 2011-05-08, 20:09   Link #58
larethian

Quote:
Yeah, I already understood that when I read it, but those were my thoughts at the moment anyway, and this VN obviously isn't hentai based, whoever comes here with that main purpose must be quite astray.
that's why I added the label "AUGUST".

And according to the walkthrough, Claudia's omake can only be unlocked after you do Risa and Iris's omakes.

and a gentle note: remember to use spoiler tags if there's any information that hints at the plot development. I won't have time to finish the VN until next month.

Last edited by larethian; 2011-05-09 at 03:09.
Old 2011-05-09, 00:43   Link #59
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Now...I've just finished Licia's arc and I'm quite impressed, leaving aside the fact that both the plot and Caim need another chapter to shine, IMO overall it was good enough to be a good final chapter. Unlike the previous two chapters, this time the heroine didn't become annoying in the whole chapter, probably this was also due to the fact that she shared the protagonism with other interesting characters, anyway she is my favorite so far.
While Licia isn't my favorite (that would be the lovable small animal), she is certainly the runner up - something i hadn't expected given her character designs. Stereotypes are bad, i know, but one can probably guess what sort of a personality i expected a blond, twintailed loli princess to have. I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. Instead of an arrogant tsundere, she turned out to be frank and (relatively) easygoing; naive and sheltered, but aware of her shortcomings and willing to overcome them, even if she needed a push or two along the way. Given enough time to accumulate the political experience she lacks, she would make a fine ruler me thinks - resolute enough to keep things in line, kind enough to not become a tyrant, with a will to look past the immediate squabbles of the nobles. The character which exceeded my initial expectations indeed.

Spoiler for Comments in context of the final chapter:

Quote:
Btw, I can't find the battle cg's in the cg viewer, I thought they would be in the others section, but they aren't. And what the hell does bustup mean? maybe it's related with what I've previously said and is unlocked after finishing the game along with BG section?
I "think" the game treats many of the battle CGs as BGs instead, so ... yeah, i would expect them to be unlocked in the BG section. Neither the BG section nor the bustup seem unlocked for me though, and i have no idea why. Perhaps one needs to complete "all" of the game to unlock those ? I haven't bothered doing the appendix scenes for Eris (since i was immensely disappointed and unimpressed by her true character and chapter), so maybe that is what i lack. Will have to CTRL through Eris appendix stories sometime later today, thus filling in the last few CGs i am missing, and testing whether that unlocks these two final categories. Can't think of anything else.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2011-05-09 at 01:03.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 21:03   Link #60
Blago

Quote:
that's why I added the label "AUGUST".
and a gentle note: remember to use spoiler tags if there's any information that hints at the plot development. I won't have time to finish the VN until next month.
Sorry, I didn't think it was enough of a spoiler to deserve it.

Spoiler for Aiyoku no Eustia, finished!:

Anyway, overall IMO this was a GREAT VN and I don't regret the big effort I made to read it all with my very limited japanese knowledge (relying on JParser, since I can't read most of the kanji), and I think I learnt a lot while doing it.

Edit: lol, I was still missing one appendix scene, that's why bust up and bg were still locked.

Last edited by Blago; 2011-05-11 at 22:01. Reason: Fail

Tags
eroge, romance, visual novel