AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 36 42.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 41.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 10.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-11, 11:46   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Episode 17 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hyouka, Episode 17.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-08-12, 11:29   Link #2
mixordia

Great episode.
Old 2012-08-12, 13:54   Link #3
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Spoiler for Episode 17 of Hyouka:
Old 2012-08-12, 17:42   Link #4
leokiko

This case's message was all about 'expectations'. Satoshi's expectations of Oreki and Tanabe's of Mune.

In Kouchi's case, she never read Haruna's manga because she was pissed that her friend that never read manga managed to write such a masterpiece. She didn't want to acknowledge that. In this case it's similar to the rest of them.

Irisu's conversation with Chitanda was kinda of pointless imo, because Chitanda had already noticed that such metod wasn't fit for her. Either way, it's always good to have Irisu on every episode. I guess the only mystery left is why Oreki's sister had "The Corpse of the Evening" manga. Anyway, great episode.
Old 2012-08-12, 17:52   Link #5
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This was one heck of an episode. Suppose keyword for this and the entire arc is "expectations."

Suppose this is part of what Houtarou meant about Chitanda not letting him do what he wanted. In the end had to use some blackmail to get the copies sold. Doesn't exactly line up with Chitanda's expectations for him.

In the end Satoshi sees what he thought was impossible actually happen. Houtarou being able to narrow down the suspects from the massive amount of people at the festival down to one person. Clearly Satoshi's issues haven't even come close to being resolved yet and he showed a lot more of his weakness to Mayaka. Though in the end he managed to dip back into that cheerful persona things can't possibly end like this.

Probably for the best that Chitanda is going to give up on that persuasion, it really isn't suited for her. All she needs really is hypno eyes! She just can't manipulate people in that way to create the feeling of expectations. Think trying to act in a way that was contrary to her just added to the drag Chitanda felt this arc.

In some ways thought Mayaka's resolution wasn't as good as I hoped. Since in the end that club is still full of a ton of jerks and that side of it was never resolved. Great that she came to an understanding with the sempai, but that was about it.

A lot of people just hurting after this story was over. Kouchi couldn't face the reality and that's understandable. Someone without interest just pops in and writes something amazing when she couldn't keep up. It was an arc full of that really. Tanabe felt inferior to Kugayama who had excellent talent, but no interest in drawing again. Kouchi had that feeling towards Haruna who made an amazing manga on her first shot. It wasn't that Kouchi's was bad, but it was just a level below Haruna's and that gap had to be agonizing. Can also wrap Satoshi into this. He thought this was a case that Houtarou wouldn't be able to come up with an answer to and he could catch the suspect, but in the end Houtarou still managed to crack it (though with help, especially from his sister). He ends this in frustration as well. It just builds and builds for these characters.

I have to say this arc was done really well. There were fun times and much more serious moments. Glad at the end to get a few laughs from Chitanda being relieved and going right after Houtarou in "I'm curious" mode. Also fun to see Chitanda and Mayaka excited about a celebratory dinner regarding finally selling out XD.
Old 2012-08-12, 18:03   Link #6
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...back from costa rica trip...
...enjoyed this arc quite alot...
...and i really do like it when they use the whole ep time...no need to see OP and ED all the time...
...if only SAO followed the same idea more often...
Old 2012-08-12, 18:15   Link #7
Snuffle
likes cute things

Ever since Satoshi talked to that guy about things were getting stolen/lost, I had my suspicions about that guy since their conversation. He acted like it wasn't really surprised about what was happening, wouldn't you be more concerned or surprised considering his position?

I'm really liking how Satoshi's and Mayaka's characters are developing. However, I think Mayaka can use just a bit more. This arc revealed a lot about her personality which has made me yearn to learn about her. But I wouldn't be surprised if the last few episodes are left for Chitanda and Houtarou.

A nice episode overall, but the conclusion felt a bit diluted to me.

Last edited by Snuffle; 2012-08-12 at 20:20.
Old 2012-08-12, 18:42   Link #8
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Wow, I never though that Houtarou would go so far as to blackmail someone. He always made the impression that he does not do anything if it is possible, as long as he doesn't have to.
But now he goes and links the solving of the case to the problem of Hyouka sales. THIS is what i call character developement, though it felt like it came out of nowhere a bit.

This series proves that an anime with well developed characters and a decent story can be better than just a "pure action" anime.
So far for this series, from me: 10/10

oh and what i noticed: The scene in the big hall where the president said "good work".... doesn't that imply that he did "get the message" after all? I mean when the culprit complained that the student council president did not figure it out, it was chronologicially before the ending speech for the festival.
Old 2012-08-12, 19:10   Link #9
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Wow, I never though that Houtarou would go so far as to blackmail someone.
Not surprised at all. It's the sort of thing that someone without a conscience would do. It fits perfectly with his character.

Quote:
But now he goes and links the solving of the case to the problem of Hyouka sales. THIS is what i call character developement...
It may be character development, but not in a positive way.

I found this episode long, drawn out, and boring. The one thing I found most interesting was that Oreki used something that Satoshi and Chitanda pointed out to him, but which he had, at the time, considered as useless information, as one of the final clues to solving the identity of the culprit.
Old 2012-08-12, 19:15   Link #10
hilly
hilly

This episode is showing something that a lot of people will have to face in real life...

Think about it,there are something that you can't accomplish by yourselves even if you really determine to do it,and there are talented person that can done it easily but not utilizing their talent to fullest...It would made you have some..mixed feeling...

In Oreki>Satoshi,Satoshi want to win Oreki at least once,but he withdraw when he know it was impossible for him to do it and expect Oreki no more to find the culprit.But, voilà!Oreki not only identified the culprit,he also solve the over printing 'Hyouka" problem with it.Satoshi must had been feel mixed,happy for a capable friend and sad at inferiority of himself.

In Anjou>Ayako senpai>Mayaka,it is the issues of making masterpiece.Anjou,which is a girl that not that interested in reading manga,capable of writing a great story.Ayako know it that Anjou 's talent in making story easily surpassed her,so she stopped reading to not give burden to herself,and push her expectation to Anjou,which didn't interested in manga at all.
Mayaka compared both manga from Anjou and Ayako and she also think Anjou>Ayako and she is 100 level below them.By the time she know that cat design from the manga,she know how much she had hurt Ayako,as she also feel inferior to both senpai.

In Kurayama>Tanaba,Tanaba know Kura had the talent of drawing,which he don't have.Tanaba want Kura read the Kudyarka 's order and draw the masterpiece,but he doesn't have the guts to tell him face on.So,he use a more complicated way to remind Kura.If Kura had read the manuscript of the Kud's order,he may think the story is interesting and draw again.But the case is Kura is drawing 'corpse' on a whim and he doesn't read Kud's order at all!As a background only drawer,he feel himself useless and have expectation to Kura but he also don't want to force the burden to Kura.Another case of inferiority.

Well,the good thing in this episode is Chiatnda know only the "I am curious" eyes(Geass?) persuasive form are more suited for her.Irisu 's style doesn't fit well in Chitanga XD
Old 2012-08-12, 19:16   Link #11
Yushi

I gotta say, this episode exceeded my expectations I loved how it wrapped up everything so nicely, even the seemingly irrelevant details. For example, I never thought the scene where Oreki was surfing the school page to have such relevance in this episode. The conclusion thus felt quite natural as a result, instead of feeling forced or full of deux de machina.
Old 2012-08-12, 19:16   Link #12
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Wow, I never though that Houtarou would go so far as to blackmail someone. He always made the impression that he does not do anything if it is possible, as long as he doesn't have to.
But now he goes and links the solving of the case to the problem of Hyouka sales. THIS is what i call character developement, though it felt like it came out of nowhere a bit.

This series proves that an anime with well developed characters and a decent story can be better than just a "pure action" anime.
So far for this series, from me: 10/10

oh and what i noticed: The scene in the big hall where the president said "good work".... doesn't that imply that he did "get the message" after all? I mean when the culprit complained that the student council president did not figure it out, it was chronologicially before the ending speech for the festival.
I wasn't that surprised. Houtarou practically blackmailed that guy in the first arc so they could just hurry up and get the anthologies. Besides in this case it was more of a trade really. Tanabe got to finish his scheme and the Classics Club got to sell out their anthology, it was win/win really. Still he did go out of his way on this one. Maybe he wanted to lessen the burden on everyone and just get the anthologies sold. Otherwise you'd have Mayaka feeling bad and Chitanda feeling bad probably thinking she didn't do a good job getting the copies sold, etc. Do agree it shows some growth since he'd rather solve their problems even if it means "calling out" the culprit and making a deal.

I think it depends on how you look at that "good work" thing. Did he simply understand that Tanabe was behind the thefts or did he also understand why he did it? "Good work" could simply mean he thought the whole thing was a clever idea to make the festival more exciting not that he understood the message behind it.
Old 2012-08-12, 19:25   Link #13
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think it depends on how you look at that "good work" thing. Did he simply understand that Tanabe was behind the thefts or did he also understand why he did it? "Good work" could simply mean he thought the whole thing was a clever idea to make the festival more exciting not that he understood the message behind it.
Yea it was never really answered in the end...
Old 2012-08-12, 19:37   Link #14
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I haven't posted in the subforum for this in a while, but this was really a stand out episode, Houtarou's reasoning, and linking the incident to the doujin Manga and explanation of why it was one, as well as the part with Mayaka and the girl in the Manga Club, and the final target was all really thought, and well executed with music and visuals to really set the mood well, this episode earned a 9/10 from me.(Chitanda's parts stopped it from being a 10).
MAL
Old 2012-08-12, 19:53   Link #15
Sakanaka Shouko

Houtarou was amazing on this episode. Satoshi is clearly jealous and it looks like Mayaka noticed that. I want to see what will happen in the moment Satoshi have a mental breakdown.
Old 2012-08-12, 20:36   Link #16
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Not surprised at all. It's the sort of thing that someone without a conscience would do. It fits perfectly with his character.
facepalm

Your Oreki hate knows no bounds, Fred.
Old 2012-08-12, 20:53   Link #17
joeboygo
mechaii

Hmm...

Less talented people all hot and bothered because the naturally gifted aren't motivated to exploit their superior abilities to the fullest.

Gee, where have I heard this concept before? Oh that's right. It was the runner analogy. Inside a teahouse. Episode 10. IIRC, the concept of "expectations" also came up.

Remember? Anybody? Bueller?

And Fred:

Go easy on the kid. I don't like him either the way he is now. But he's only 16, tops. How many teenagers do you know who aren't insufferable at that age? I suspect the author deliberately made his personality a work in progress as an integral element of story development. Let's wait until he's old enough to drive before we give him the real once-over.
Old 2012-08-12, 20:55   Link #18
novalysis

Probably one of the Strongest Arc Endings of the year, if not the whole season.

And to think that there were a ton of Haters castigating this anime 12 weeks ago!
Old 2012-08-12, 21:32   Link #19
Shadow5YA

Quote:
But now he goes and links the solving of the case to the problem of Hyouka sales. THIS is what i call character developement, though it felt like it came out of nowhere a bit
He's done something like it before. Remember when they tried to get the archived Hyouka anthologies from Tougaito Masashi?

That was a more indirect form of blackmail where Houtarou basically implied, "bring out the anthologies for us, or I'll reveal that you're a smoker and ruin your (family) name and reputation within this school."
Old 2012-08-12, 22:34   Link #20
hedvix

I have been getting a vibe that Oreki's older sister (Tomoe Oreki) is actually Anjou Haruna. While we never get a clear specifications of her age, I can't help to think that she is somehow related to the "dream" team. I would imagine that Anjou Haruna could be some form of a "pen name" that a lot of writers like to use.

Here are some hints:
- Anjou Haruna was said to have "transferred off". Oreki's sister is currently living abroad in India.
- There was a scene of Oreki sister reading the school's newspaper (EP16) about to jumonji incident and said "naruhodo" (I see/I understand/I get it)... What does she understand?!?!?
- She happens to carry the manga "A corpse by evening" and gives it to Hotarou? and says the weird line afterwards "whether this staves off your boredom or not is up to you". To me it feels like as if she is giving Hotarou a hint to solve the Jumomji accident which is contained in the manga.
Closed Thread