Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-16, 16:13   Link #1
buktore

Down to earth,Real-world feel anime?

Hi,

can someone suggest me some real-world,down to earth feel anime to me? any genre will do. ( but usually only anime that can do this is drama,slice of life type anyway )

Some example.

- Welcome to the NHK
- Azumanga daioh
- you're under arrest
- Mahoraba

THX
Old 2007-10-16, 17:11   Link #2
Moneytalk

5 Centimeters Per Second
Old 2007-10-16, 17:20   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Bartender
Hataraki Man
Monster
Nodame Cantabile
Hidamari Sketch

Another anime that I'd put in this category, though it's hardly "down-to-earth," is Planetes. It's the closest thing to what a future in space might really be like. The main characters collect space trash.
Old 2007-10-16, 17:29   Link #4
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - drama/romance.
REC - romance
I suppose Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade would qualify as well. Politics/drama/some action
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - romance/drama in a hospital setting.

I suppose Canvas 2 might work as well. (hey, Mahoraba works, right ? ^^)
Old 2007-10-16, 18:25   Link #5
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

ACK!!! Seiji totally beat me to the Bartender punch, this round!!!! **dies of shame**

Doujin Work sort of kind of barely squeaks through, in this category! Maybe...
Old 2007-10-16, 19:50   Link #6
buktore

Thanks guys.

But i tried looking some of you guys suggest (That i didn't already watch) and found most of them too short. ( around 10+ episode ) I don't really mind it much. but if there is a longer series i will be grateful.

It don't really have to be exactly "human like" Natsumi can flip a car. but i mean. what her do.. how she interact with another character is.. well.. like human. this apply to the rest of the character/the setting in the series too.

and it don't really have to be "serious" anime either. but i prefer not too much "cute/moe" style of art. (kinda hard to recommend.. i know)

it's a hard anime to define. and hard to find and hard to recommend as well (I think) So i appreciates all the help. meanwhile, i will give bartender (and follow by another) a try. look promising.
Old 2007-10-16, 20:01   Link #7
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
hmmm...... maybe School Rumble (but it has a lot of outrageous comedy that might disqualify it as "down to earth")
Old 2007-10-16, 20:21   Link #8
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
I'm not sure what down-to-Earth means, but I usually resort to slice-of-life or anything that I find real:

GTO - yeah sure Onizuka's antics are unbelievable, but when once you get to know him, it's like he's got your back no matter what.

Gokusen - like GTO.
Old 2007-10-16, 20:46   Link #9
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Nothing short eh?

I was going to say Lamune since it was a pretty cute normalish-y romance, but it's only 12 eps.
Old 2007-10-16, 21:25   Link #10
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

You should check out PlanetES.. it's set in the future, but it's definitely a slice-of-life and down to earth anime.

DVD's have been out for a while now.. you should check it out, it was definitely a great show to watch.. at least for me!
Old 2007-10-16, 21:26   Link #11
Kyomi
What do I know?

I'll Second Monster Since it's a heavy action/thriller, many mysteries and even a touch of horror. Yet none of it is unreal or unnatural, everything is believable and explainable.
Old 2007-10-16, 23:16   Link #12
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

How about Angel Heart? Episode 41 just rolled out, so it isn't too short. It's sort of down to earth, but not really.

Also, You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle is at it's second episode now. I can only find it in mp4 format though, and it had timing issues with Haali Splitter, though MPC played it okay...
Old 2007-10-16, 23:26   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by buktore View Post
But i tried looking some of you guys suggest (That i didn't already watch) and found most of them too short. ( around 10+ episode ) I don't really mind it much. but if there is a longer series i will be grateful.
Monster is 74 episodes and nearly every one moves the story along.

Many reaiistic, or "slice-of-life," shows have fairly short runs. Browse any of the older discussions of slice-of-life anime and you'll see many series end in about a dozen episodes. I suspect these shows garner smaller audiences than more mainstream programs and can't finance longer runs. You do have the occasional NHK that can extend over 24 episodes, but that show had a built-in appeal to otaku. Shows like Bartender and Hataraki Man were a riskier proposition to produce being targeted at a broader, and older, audience. With a more uncertain return on investment, it's harder to justify the financial commitment necessary to cover longer series.

Azumanga Daioh is also an the exception. Similar girls-go-to-high-school shows like Manabi Straight and Hidamari Sketch ran twelve episodes each. Of course, Lucky*Star covered 24 episodes, but it had even more built-in otaku appeal than did NHK.

I'd second Skyfall's vote for REC. The emotional relationship between the leads is quite believable even when the circumstances in which they find themselves can seem somewhat contrived. It's short, too, I'm afraid.
Old 2007-10-17, 01:50   Link #14
miaka

lovely complex - school setting/drama/comedy
Honey and clover - 2 seasons, drama
victorian romance emma - historical/2season/licensed
Old 2007-10-17, 02:21   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Even though you're still looking for long anime, the best down-to-earth anime I've watched is still REC, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, and Byousoku 5 Centimetre, so I will second those.
Old 2007-10-17, 11:05   Link #16
buktore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Even though you're still looking for long anime, the best down-to-earth anime I've watched is still REC, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, and Byousoku 5 Centimetre, so I will second those.
I already seen them all actually. ( except REC which i will tried.) Thx anyway.

Bartender and Lovely complex are great. Monster is a good idea but i already seen the manga version so i think it's not for me.(great manga) i will try another series later.

THX.
Old 2007-10-17, 20:05   Link #17
hideFan

School Days... -escapes-
Closed Thread