AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 25 47.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 30.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 13.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-16, 21:44   Link #61
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Momoka was split. Part of her went into Himari's hat, and part of her went into the diary itself. When the diary was burned to ashes, that freed the half of Momoka that was in the diary, and enabled the two halves to rejoin in Himari's hat, hence the change in personality within Himari's hat.
This one is cool theory. Of course, for this to be true we need a proper explanation, since the flashback in episode 23 only shows Momoka being split between the hats.

But again, it is cool theory.
Old 2011-12-16, 21:49   Link #62
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
This one is cool theory. Of course, for this to be true we need a proper explanation, since the flashback in episode 23 only shows Momoka being split between the hats.

But again, it is cool theory.
Glad you like it.

I like the concept of two halves coming together, and as Kirarakim wrote, duality is all over this anime, and it's something I've come to appreciate in Penguin Drum as such.

One other reason I like the theory is how it would cleverly turn the tables on Sanetoshi: Burning Momoka's Diary didn't save him or his plans, but was ultimately key to bringing Momoka back and (likely) leading to Sanetoshi's defeat.

Like you said though, if this theory is correct, it'll need to be explained somehow.

Momoka putting on an act all this time would also be Ok, but that too would need to be explained well, imo.
Old 2011-12-16, 21:58   Link #63
Crontica

Does Kanba and Shouma's names mean anything in Japanese? Himari as well for good measure.
Old 2011-12-16, 22:06   Link #64
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That's a lie in and of itself. Ringo was never the key to find the Penguindrum at all. Momoka was just using her own sister to distract Sanetoshi.
Jeez...

Knock it off with the "it was all a decoy" mantra.

It's clear that the diary was an actual threat to Sanetoshi. It nearly defeated him before, and he certainly knew it was a threat.

When I'm up against a truly dangerous opponent I often prepare multiple ways of winning.

I think that's all that Momoka did. The diary was one possible way of defeating Sanetoshi, and the one he already knew about.

It makes perfect sense to make that your main attack. It also makes perfect sense to prepare a backup plan in case your main plan fails.

I think that the diary is a "penguindrum" (whatever that means). Just that there isn't only one penguindrum.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-12-16, 22:16   Link #65
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I think that the diary is a "penguindrum" (whatever that means). Just that there isn't only one penguindrum.
You base your theory on this assumption, but this has never been confirmed in the series.

And "Knock it off"? There's not need to be rude. Not to mention it's against the rules of the board.
Old 2011-12-16, 22:21   Link #66
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Thinking about this... didn't Momoka say to Shoma 'you will find YOUR Penguindrum!". There are probably other Penguindrums. The diary might've just been one of them.
Old 2011-12-16, 22:33   Link #67
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
Thinking about this... didn't Momoka say to Shoma 'you will find YOUR Penguindrum!". There are probably other Penguindrums. The diary might've just been one of them.
Hoohoo, so the Penguindrum takes the form of the users most valued possessions? I think we have a winner.
Old 2011-12-16, 23:10   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Jeez...

Knock it off with the "it was all a decoy" mantra.

It's clear that the diary was an actual threat to Sanetoshi. It nearly defeated him before, and he certainly knew it was a threat.

When I'm up against a truly dangerous opponent I often prepare multiple ways of winning.

I think that's all that Momoka did. The diary was one possible way of defeating Sanetoshi, and the one he already knew about.

It makes perfect sense to make that your main attack. It also makes perfect sense to prepare a backup plan in case your main plan fails.

Honestly, I largely agree.

I don't know why the diary has to be a decoy and not simply a case of a threat that Sanetoshi successfully neutralized. In other words, Sanetoshi/Kanba simply defeated Momoka/Ringo in "Round 1". Let's give the antagonists some credit here. They may have just won a battle in a larger war.

Ringo probably could have saved the day. She didn't, because Kanba tricked her into defeat. Ringo continues to be a very sweet and well-intentioned but rather naive girl.
Old 2011-12-16, 23:53   Link #69
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't know why the diary has to be a decoy and not simply a case of a threat that Sanetoshi successfully neutralized.
Well, think about it this way:

If Sanetoshi knew that Shouma and Kanba's penguindrum is an even greater threat than the diary, he would have ordered Kanba to kill Shouma. But he didn't, so it's more likely that he didn't know, and now that he took out the diary, he wrongly believes he has the advantage. But that actually gives Momoka the upper hand.

If this is all a coincidences, then Momoka is immensely lucky, but I can't believe that. That would be too far-fetched IMO. So yeah, I agree the diary was a threat, but I also think it was part of a ruse to mislead Sanetoshi.

The only other way I can make sense of this is if Kanba was working with Momoka all along. That sill makes Momoka a pretty cunning figure though.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-12-17 at 00:07.
Old 2011-12-17, 00:41   Link #70
spieler

Send a message via MSN to spieler
One more episode to go, I`m wondering they can finish the whole story. really don`t want to see "wait for movie".
Old 2011-12-17, 01:19   Link #71
Lota

I don't think that the hats (Momoka's) personality was different in this episode. Perhaps it sounded more innocent and kind because it was spoken by Momoka, a childish voice. If the same words were spoken by Himari wearing the hat, it would have been the same as always. And besides, I don't think this personality was all that different from Momoka before the accident. PotC's character was a more... raw version of Momoka. We have only seen Momoka from Yuri and Tabuki's POV, and well, we tend to idealise the people we love, so... Besides, even in real life, there are so many things (most of the time not very good ones) we want to say, but don't. To me, it seems like PotC was Momoka's version without the restraint. She said what she wanted to say, she hid what she wanted to hide ("No-not telling")... Perhaps she was acting to put her chess pieces in place, but it sure seemed natural. Free. And, well, it's not like this is the first time we have seen her kinder side (remember how she was with Kanba in episodes 12 and 17?). If Momoka is anything like a real person, then she's made of more things than being kind and sweet. Anyway, I loved her interactions with Kanba so far, I hope I will get to see them talk in the last episode
Old 2011-12-17, 02:13   Link #72
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
On another note there are 25 stations not 24? What does that mean?
Because the 95 train move foward in each episode.
It moves to station 2 on episode 1, it moves to station 3 on episode 2. Thus, it'll hit station 25 in episode 24.

BTW anyone noticed the imaginary station 94 and 95 in this episode?
Old 2011-12-17, 02:20   Link #73
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

ha Mario is a non factor in this.
Old 2011-12-17, 02:21   Link #74
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota View Post
I don't think that the hats (Momoka's) personality was different in this episode.
Her speech pattern at least was totally different. For instance in this episode she called Shouma and Kanba by their names and even used honorifics. This alone makes a lot of difference.

As the PotC, her speech pattern was pretty rough, and that's not even talking about the constant flood of insults spouting from her mouth. Even in her "kinder" moments (like in episode 12) it was still rough in comparison to Momoka's in episode 23.

Well, she might have been putting on an act when she was the PotC. But if that's the case we need to know why.

On a side note, I find interesting that Momoka's speech pattern is sort of "tomboyish" in comparison to Ringo's, which is more on the "girlish" side.
Old 2011-12-17, 03:56   Link #75
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Hoohoo, so the Penguindrum takes the form of the users most valued possessions? I think we have a winner.
and if instead of valued possession it is valued anything, shouma's penguindrum may be kanba or his family
the power from a valued thing isn't really an original concept, but i wouldn't mind it here, even if i'm expecting something different, something more in line with the theme showed till now
Old 2011-12-17, 06:21   Link #76
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
Kinda on the ropes if Tabuki survived from last episode.

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Old 2011-12-17, 07:05   Link #77
Dawnstorm

For the first time, I noticed something. Not sure if it's been mentioned, and not sure if it's significant at all. But on Momoka's diary, there's a turtle. And Sanetoshi split into the black rabbits... Aesop? Rabbit and Turtle? Hm...
Old 2011-12-17, 09:18   Link #78
Setsuryuu

Twists! Reveals! More randomly naked Himari! And Survival Strategy Bishie version!

I wonder if Ringo still remembers the diary enough to make he spell by heart. And what about that fire? She holded it and it neither ceased nor spread to her clothes! xD

Pairings? Shouma x Ringo and Kanba x Masako and Himari x Double H; I'm not necessarily talking romantically though! xP

"Your Penguindrum" SO THERE YOU GO you find a way to fit it there finally!

People, after this epi I can really place this as a best of the year's contender... We're so close... All has been falling apart and escalating more and more at each epi to culminate in a great climax finale.... Just keep the rhytimn and it will be good, you don't even need to make 24 a better episode than 23! (the best so far to me)

And I've heard (on facebook) Triple-H's CD is out wednesday!
Old 2011-12-17, 10:35   Link #79
mysh

Just some thoughts after watching the subs.

Sanetoshi's ED speech reminded me very much of instrumentality project. A coincidence?

Am I the only one who took Ringo and Shouma's scene in the park as a farewell scene? I mean it all looked very sad - like they said their goobyes and then parted.

On the whole I felt really bad for Ringo during the whole episode - I almost cried and then had bad dreams all night about her and the penguindrum. That scene when she's burning, crying, ready to destroy herself for the Takakuras... and the Takakuras? Kanba just standing there emotionless watching her burn (well, he is always being such a dick), Shouma and Himari kissing in a dreamy landscape - and Ringo, I repeat, lying there all alone, hurt, in the snow and ashes. And then finally Shouma running - but not to Ringo, no. Ringo was always there for Shouma since ep.12, caring and helping, and that's all she's going to get in the end? She's not meant to be on the Destiny train, finita la commedia? Now, that seems most unjust.
I just don't get how in this series two strong and beautiful women, namely Ringo and Masako, love and care for two absolutely indifferent and selfish boys who can only think of Himari who is such a lamb, as someone has put it earlier in the thread. And yes, Kanba, widening your eyes when your real twin is dying there because of your stupid dealings with the terrorists is definitely not enough!

On a side note, I don't understand how Mario's hat can be Momoka's half, when it was shown in ep. 16 (IIRC) that Mario with the hat on was being possessed by his grandpa's spirit.
Old 2011-12-17, 10:54   Link #80
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysh View Post
Am I the only one who took Ringo and Shouma's scene in the park as a farewell scene? I mean it all looked very sad - like they said their goobyes and then parted.
She was comforting him about Himari.

It was not a goodbye scene because later on she was in his home saying she was going to bring him clothes to the hospital before she got that call from Kanba.

Quote:
And then finally Shouma running - but not to Ringo, no
Last time I checked Shouma did not realize what condition Ringo was in. Anyways he is running to stop his brother & Sanetoshi from hurting many people. I don't see how you can call him selfish for that.