AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 33 52.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 30.16%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 6.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 6.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-01, 20:02   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Penguin Drum - Episode 21 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Penguin Drum, Episode 21.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-12-01, 20:22   Link #2
Kazu-kun

Loved this line from Chiemi (It wasn't really her though )

"Kanba, Shouma, Himari. Our precious children, our future."

Poor Kanba. I think that to save him Himari would have to "choose" him. But to do that she would have to love him, and to be honest, I don't think she does. Sucks to be him lol.

All in all, I'm enjoying this series less and less with every new episode. I keep watching mostly out of curiosity (want to see how it ends) but I don't care anymore. Too many nonsensical "twists" and shit going on. The "plot" is all over the place. Not a single likable character in sight (except Ringo, but lately she's getting less screen time so). The whole thing is just pointless.

Oh well, let's just see how it ends so we can move on to better things.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-12-01 at 20:36.
Old 2011-12-01, 21:21   Link #3
YayPepsi

Loooved this episode! After the last two episodes, which I didn't care for at all, this episode was like a breath of fresh air even though it was quite sad. That sibling fight was awesome - so many people had been waiting for that and it was worth it. I imagine that there's more to come in future episodes. I honestly didn't expect the parents to be dead. Some people called it but for some reason I didn't think the show would go that route. They've been dead for a really long time judging by the skeletons. Who killed them? Maybe someone in Kiga set them up for a fall. Maybe Shouma did it. (I doubt it but who knows, I wouldn't rule out anything in this show.)

I also loved Himari spying on Kanba and then going after him to save him. Whether she loves him in that way or not, she does love him as a brother at least. I hope she manages to save him. My favorite part of the episode was that little flashback at the end where she puts a bandaid on his face. So cute. <3 I want more of that flashback in the next episode and it seems like we're likely to get one judging by the title. The flashbacks of the brothers painting the house was adorable too.
Old 2011-12-01, 22:53   Link #4
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Quote:
Loooved this episode! After the last two episodes, which I didn't care for at all, this episode was like a breath of fresh air even though it was quite sad. That sibling fight was awesome - so many people had been waiting for that and it was worth it. I imagine that there's more to come in future episodes. I honestly didn't expect the parents to be dead. Some people called it but for some reason I didn't think the show would go that route. They've been dead for a really long time judging by the skeletons. Who killed them? Maybe someone in Kiga set them up for a fall. Maybe Shouma did it. (I doubt it but who knows, I wouldn't rule out anything in this show.)
I didn't expect them to be dead, neither, but I had the hunch Kanba was somehow hallucinating. The parents scene in episode 19 was really weird and unnatural. But after episode 20 it looked like more real. It was a bit of a twist for me too, honestly.
Old 2011-12-02, 02:58   Link #5
philip72

The fight and hissy fit between Shouma and Kanba felt forced and nonsensical, as did Shouma's little emo fit before booting Himari out the door. After going through so much together, to split so suddenly, over so much less, felt cheap.
It was written more like an overly maudlin tweenage girls fanfic, than actual plot. The split could have been handled so much better.

So, if it wasn't for the mawkish dorauma this episode would have been ok; but thanks to all that virtual tweeny fanwank, it was the worst.
Old 2011-12-02, 04:46   Link #6
Sides

Wow, did Yuri get stabbed?
I assume that Kanba, Masako and Mario's dad was actually the leader of the Kiga group and hence expelled by their grandfather. Still don't know how Mario fits in the whole picture.

Looks like this is the start of the end game.
Old 2011-12-02, 05:17   Link #7
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Do not expect the negative response, but that is godly episode for me and even more godly OST.

EDIT: So Asuki hating mawapen now and GAF loving it, the fuck world became to.
Old 2011-12-02, 05:51   Link #8
Zavie

Gosh, what are with the episodes this week? First Horizon, Mashiro-iro, HaGaNai and then this...

So much moving with plot in just one episode and I'm totally not complaining. This is definitely the most satisfying episode of the show so far. A lot of stuff got revealed, but it also opened to plot a lot too.

The fist fight between Sho and Kanba, along with the revelation of theri relationship was very touching. I was almost in tear when Sho basically tried to shoo Himari away while being heart-broken about her condition.

So is Kanba now officially the bad guy of the show now? I hope he will not appear as the final boss though... That pink hair guy maybe, he looks like a real jerk.

Can't forget to mention the gorgeous soundtracks this episode has this week too.

What a week!
Old 2011-12-02, 06:33   Link #9
lightbringer
M9000

If someone would've told me fifteen episodes ago that Ringo was the most normal character in this series, I would've asked them what they're smoking. Funny how that completely turned around, eh. With the plot being as opaque as it is lately, I kinda miss the days when all we had to worry about was "why does Ringo's story take up so much screentime".
Old 2011-12-02, 07:05   Link #10
Qpax
黒猫のタンゴ

This show gets more and more depressing by each episode. I feel so sorry for them that I couldn't explain my feelings with words right now. I'm hoping good end regardless and looking forward to last two episode :< Lastly ending song was awesome.
Old 2011-12-02, 07:08   Link #11
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Do not expect the negative response, but that is godly episode for me and even more godly OST.

EDIT: So Asuki hating mawapen now and GAF loving it, the fuck world became to.
This ^

Really emotional on family ground. Kanba devoted himself to save Himari and made a step too far. He really get pretty deep into the organization now (seeing how he commanded on killing that reporter). Himari on another hand, realised her coming fate, decided to step away from her soul mate, and planned to devote whatever left on her life to save Kanba (with Natsume cooperation). Shouma... well i don't know what he is trying to do. He and Ringo probably will be the final trump card. But wtf is he doing this episode? He can't stop Kanba anyway, and i don't even know why did he send Himari away....

How isolated that ramen shop have to be, that no one ever step in and realise human skeletons in the corner of the rooms? Seriously. "How did they die" probably will turn a bit of drama later. And i have a feeling Yuri won't end well, there's even an tvtropes for it. Could be reversed and Tabuki getting the wrong end of the stick dagger instead. And Sanetoshi as ultimate mastermind of the terrorism plot? I know it!!! We should never trust the pink/purple hair bishounen character

PS: what is GAF btw?

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-12-02 at 07:22.
Old 2011-12-02, 07:43   Link #12
Setsuryuu

"Money and parents: Don't think they'll last forever" This subway phrase scene was in the very beginning! And quite the foreshadowing! xD (almost to spoiler levels)

I've really liked this episode. More mysteries are slowly showing their solutions, Kanba actually fully took the anti-hero route by killing the journalist (poor man, your face was never shown... you were meant to die just to mark that change in Kanba). And ok, now I believe Kanba and Masako are actually brothers and this won't be twisted until the end (I hope).

But the status quo was even more shattered! Himari now stand against her "brother". Shouma totally stepped out. Yuki and Tabuki attacked? That probably means their half of the diary is gonna be stoled... Great expectation builded for the next episode.

I've read people saying there aren't likeable characters in there anymore. Is it just because they act like human beings instead of anime chars by doing exactly that; going against the status quo of their previously estabilished "trademark traits" into the realm of human complexity? That's wrong, but I'm might be jumping at conclusions.

Not to mention Himari is still adorable, or even more now that I know her sad past, and I can't think of people not at least hoping for her survival. What is somewhat close to like her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

PS: what is GAF btw?
Where did you saw this?
Old 2011-12-02, 08:31   Link #13
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Talking about it, it was kinda strange that Kanba, while probably not as sane as he showed to be, could be hallucinated at such high level. And so conveniently done to benefit KIGA/Sanetoshi as well. It's likely that he was manipulated all along, and maybe that is what behind Himari and Masako's sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuryuu View Post
Where did you saw this?
Nvm about this, it seems to be the acronym of an anime forum
Old 2011-12-02, 09:04   Link #14
Crontica

Code Geass didn't have this many plot twists, at least it had some breathing space for some kind of tactical buildup afterward, now i cant be too sure who's going to pull a Utena.
Old 2011-12-02, 09:40   Link #15
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Now that was a fantastic episode.

Here is where, in my view, Ikuhara reigned in his surrealist tendencies a bit in order to present something raw, real, poignant, and powerful. Just absolutely superb character drama while the plot thickens with key revelations carefully and shrewdly executed.

For emotional investment, for good use of every important cast member, and for creating great plot intrigue, this was my favorite episode of MPD so far.

Kanba, Shouma, Himari, and Ringo, and the relationships between them, were all developed impressively well here.

Most importantly, I'm relieved to see that Shouma's "manning up" wasn't left until the last or 2nd last episode - That it is happening now. While I knew that he was no physical match for Kanba, it was still electrifying (to borrow Sanetoshi's favorite word ) to see Shouma finally stand up to his brother and truly try to stop him. Now I can fully embrace Shouma as the main main protagonist of this work, should the anime continue to take him in that direction.

At the same time, Kanba now works well (I suspect) as a highly sympathetic yet misguided antagonist of sorts. The pain and tragedy of Himari's overall position is laid bare here. Ringo grounds it all by, ironically, being the most normal and sane character of the entire main cast - She's the cast member most able to stand up for and deeply sympathize with the Takakuras without being made insane herself by their internal conflicts. With this in mind, the one scene between Ringo and Himari in this episode was truly adorable, and made for such a wonderful contrast to the darkness that permeated the rest of the episode.

The drama and suspense in this episode was downright Godfather-esque, that's how good and rich it was. The flashbacks, the confrontations, the dialogue, the way characters were dressed, it all came together so beautifully, and with such scintillating Directorial skill.

Ikuhara's writing had lost me a bit before, but not now. Now it is all coming together, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

10/10 for Episode 21.
Old 2011-12-02, 10:25   Link #16
cristichan

I don't understand nothing...
Spoiler:

Good episode
10-10 :3 ^*^*
Old 2011-12-02, 10:28   Link #17
klare

even with an injured hand, no way Kanba gonna lose a fight to Sho

we get the see: Kanba turning to the dark side, the Himari-Natsume alliance, Sanetoshi is a ghost, Himari dying soon, the truth in that restaurant, Yuri and Tabuki... such a tense eps

now i am guessing the key to end all this is Ringo
Old 2011-12-02, 10:36   Link #18
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
The fight and hissy fit between Shouma and Kanba felt forced and nonsensical, as did Shouma's little emo fit before booting Himari out the door. After going through so much together, to split so suddenly, over so much less, felt cheap.
Realizing that Kanba is involved with the group responsible for the most deadly terrorist attack in Japan's history is "so much less"? To me it makes perfect sense that this is the moment when he realizes what an utter failure their little "family" has been.

And booting Himari is probably the best -- without Kanba's money, he has no way of supporting her, let alone paying for her treatment. Better to send her to his uncle who can at least put a roof over her head and maybe give her the care she needs. Shouma staying behind in their dingy, rundown house is also in keeping with his martyr complex -- he's failed and now he has to suffer alone. Too bad for him Ringo's still around and isn't going to let him do it.
Old 2011-12-02, 11:13   Link #19
YayPepsi

It's looking more and more like the person dancing with Himari in the OP is Kanba. (Unless this is a fakeout.) The last part is from ep 1.

Old 2011-12-02, 11:16   Link #20
Used Can

THIS FUCKING SERIES...!

That's all I've got to say.