AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-08, 02:35   Link #41
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
Its quite a pleasant surprise for me for Japanese Mangaka and Studio to create a series with Korean setting, considering how the Japanese feels regarding Korea.
I agree with you as this is a rare thing given its history and somewhat tense relations between those two nations.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 02:41   Link #42
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I fear the ragecomments on 2ch regarding that...

Though I think realistically 2ch won't give care much about this series.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 04:41   Link #43
Esclair

Pretty solid first episode. It's good to see that they're not skimping on the action scenes. It was pretty obvious the Tamahome look-alike was going to be the main love interest though.

Also, is having distinctive red hair a new fad in historical Shoujo manga nowadays? I think the last 3-4 I've checked out have had the main character have red hair that nobody else has.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 04:48   Link #44
IceHism

The cultural elements are pretty cool. Hiryuu castle is obviously a Japanese setting. All the names are Korean, yona is wearing a hanbok. But it looks like Hak's clothes is Japanese while her father's is Chinese

Other than that, solid first episode
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 07:02   Link #45
Domonkazu

judging from the OP and End is she gonna gather some warriors?
it does feel like fushigi yuugi with better heroine.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 21:25   Link #46
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
Its quite a pleasant surprise for me for Japanese Mangaka and Studio to create a series with Korean setting, considering how the Japanese feels regarding Korea.
Well it is inspired, instead of being based on so there is lot of leeway with this. On a personal level, I do find that Korean and Japanese get along very well.
Interesting thing to notice, I think the geography is bae on the Korean 3 kingdom period. And the Yona's kingdom is base on Goguryeo, hence a powerful empire in the north ala China, and two smaller kingdoms in the south, Baekjae and Silla.

I am happy to see something like to see this and hoping it will be amazing.
Old 2014-10-08, 22:21   Link #47
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Much as I commend the effort made into this anime, I'm sitting on the fence on this one. The transitions from comedy to serious feel awkward for me. I will give a few more episodes to see if this is for me or not.
Old 2014-10-08, 22:46   Link #48
SamVision

You can't handle dat Hak
SamVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 01:11   Link #49
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Ah, Hak...you're the reason I watch this anime and read the manga...

I wonder if the King knew about something; that's why he didn't want Yona to be with Soo-won? Although he says it's to protect Soo-won from danger if he gets involved with the Royal family...but I wonder if that's merely an excuse; that the King is actually suspicious of Soo-won. Each time Soo-won appears, the King didn't seem too happy.

As people have already mentioned, the transition of certain scenes were awkward, especially the last with Hak drinking to suddenly appearing out of nowhere to save Yona. (Had I not read the manga, I would have suspected the drink to be drugged. ) The awkward transition may be because they were trying to cover a lot of background to set up the story in the first episode. I just hope it gets better later. But overall a good first episode, nice animation.

I was really surprised that the OP was solely instrumental. I don't think I've ever seen an anime with an instrumental OP before. And the OP sure is full of spoilers, surprised about that as well.

Edit: The one thing about Yona that did bug me in ep 1 was: she saw Soo-won kill her father and yet she'd still call out his name when she was about to get killed (under his order, as it seemed). It's ironic that Hak was the one who appeared to save her. I hope she will open her eyes soon and not continue to be blinded by foolish "love" - it will get annoying real fast if the heroine continues to waver despite the unforgivable crime he committed before her eyes.

[/TH][/TR][/table]

Last edited by PreSage; 2014-10-09 at 01:26.
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 05:59   Link #50
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

ah another "stripped" princess anime in this season

well, this is a decent "shoujo" thing anime... and I don't think this is going to be like another Fushigi Yuugi though...
Maybe only the romance stuff
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 08:04   Link #51
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Ah, Hak...you're the reason I watch this anime and read the manga...

I wonder if the King knew about something; that's why he didn't want Yona to be with Soo-won? Although he says it's to protect Soo-won from danger if he gets involved with the Royal family...but I wonder if that's merely an excuse; that the King is actually suspicious of Soo-won. Each time Soo-won appears, the King didn't seem too happy.

As people have already mentioned, the transition of certain scenes were awkward, especially the last with Hak drinking to suddenly appearing out of nowhere to save Yona. (Had I not read the manga, I would have suspected the drink to be drugged. ) The awkward transition may be because they were trying to cover a lot of background to set up the story in the first episode. I just hope it gets better later. But overall a good first episode, nice animation.

I was really surprised that the OP was solely instrumental. I don't think I've ever seen an anime with an instrumental OP before. And the OP sure is full of spoilers, surprised about that as well.

Edit: The one thing about Yona that did bug me in ep 1 was: she saw Soo-won kill her father and yet she'd still call out his name when she was about to get killed (under his order, as it seemed). It's ironic that Hak was the one who appeared to save her. I hope she will open her eyes soon and not continue to be blinded by foolish "love" - it will get annoying real fast if the heroine continues to waver despite the unforgivable crime he committed before her eyes.
To be fair I presume that last call for "Soo-won" was a kind of "why the heck did you do this" kind of thing. At that moment seemingly about to die and left without any answers as to why this has all happened. Either that or just needed more time for the mental shock to subside and wrap her head around such an unbelievable series of events.
Old 2014-10-09, 08:15   Link #52
Irisiel

Quote:
I was really surprised that the OP was solely instrumental. I don't think I've ever seen an anime with an instrumental OP before.
The Twelve Kingdoms say hi (red-haired girl is stripped of everything, learns to fight in a fantasy-historical world. If you haven't watched it, I can't recommend it enough). Oh, and Guin Saga as well (sheltered children have their kingdom attacked, their parents killed, go on the run and must learn to survive. Opening is by Nobuo Uematsu).

Quote:
I'm thinking that Yona hadn't really processed/believed what she saw when she called out. Give her a night's sleep and I think she'll process it. Whether or not she'll believe that Soo-won did it/did it out of his own free will is another thing.

So, anyone taking bets on Soo-won's motivation? I'm thinking that the earlier mentions of being surrounded by larger countries ("being pushed around by" I think was the gist of it?), the king being all "lets hope this peace continues" speech at the ceremony, combined with his inflexible pacifism (not even touching a bow for recreational purposes?), might suggest that Soo-won didn't have time to marry Yona and wait for the king to die, if the larger countries are stirring.

Or the king did lots of violence before Yona was born? Maybe he even got the throne at Soo-won's father's expense or something.

I just got the feeling that Soo-won aside, not everything is well with the Kingdom of Kouka.
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 08:59   Link #53
LKK

Quote:
I was really surprised that the OP was solely instrumental. I don't think I've ever seen an anime with an instrumental OP before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
The Twelve Kingdoms say hi (red-haired girl is stripped of everything, learns to fight in a fantasy-historical world. If you haven't watched it, I can't recommend it enough). Oh, and Guin Saga as well (sheltered children have their kingdom attacked, their parents killed, go on the run and must learn to survive. Opening is by Nobuo Uematsu).
Not to mention Ghost Hunt. Which I know for a fact that Sage has seen. Sage, you get an F- for today's pop quiz on anime with instrumental OPs.

Quote:
So, anyone taking bets on Soo-won's motivation? I'm thinking that the earlier mentions of being surrounded by larger countries ("being pushed around by" I think was the gist of it?), the king being all "lets hope this peace continues" speech at the ceremony, combined with his inflexible pacifism (not even touching a bow for recreational purposes?), might suggest that Soo-won didn't have time to marry Yona and wait for the king to die, if the larger countries are stirring.
That's a possible explanation for Soo-won's motivation, but I don't think it explains why the king was so adamantly opposed to Yona marrying Soo-won. The king's opposition to Yona marrying Soo-won is just as big a mystery, IMO, as Soo-won's motivation. Perhaps bigger even. Soo-won may have taken the actions he did because he knew he had been rejected as a marriage candidate. If Yona hadn't witnessed the act, she would have automatically turned to Soo-won for comfort and support in her grief. The marriage between the two would have been a done deal, I think.

Quote:
Or the king did lots of violence before Yona was born? Maybe he even got the throne at Soo-won's father's expense or something.

I just got the feeling that Soo-won aside, not everything is well with the Kingdom of Kouka.
Those thoughts occurred to me as well.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 09:18   Link #54
Domonkazu

I think Soo Won probably has some feeling for Yona, but maybe he is like those chinese wuxia villain, who is willing to sacrifice anything for his goal or ambition.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 11:21   Link #55
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Not to mention Ghost Hunt. Which I know for a fact that Sage has seen. Sage, you get an F- for today's pop quiz on anime with instrumental OPs.
Cowboy Bebop came immediately to mind. But LKK's F- is a little harsh. I think it's one of those cases where you're asked something and immediately remember everything except the answer to the question.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 14:34   Link #56
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Cowboy Bebop came immediately to mind.
For me it was Twelve Kingdoms and Victorian Romance Emma (mainly because of Ryo Kunihiko was involved in those series as well) and then I came up with Marimite and Monster. Didn't think of Cowboy Bebop.

Still let's not gang up on PreSage here, instrumental openings hasn't happened in a while.
Old 2014-10-09, 20:13   Link #57
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
Also, is having distinctive red hair a new fad in historical Shoujo manga nowadays? I think the last 3-4 I've checked out have had the main character have red hair that nobody else has.
I've seen it a lot over the past few years so yeah it's a fad, it just happens mostly in the rarely-adapted shojo fantasy series so not many people know about it.

Quote:
That's a possible explanation for Soo-won's motivation, but I don't think it explains why the king was so adamantly opposed to Yona marrying Soo-won. The king's opposition to Yona marrying Soo-won is just as big a mystery, IMO, as Soo-won's motivation. Perhaps bigger even. Soo-won may have taken the actions he did because he knew he had been rejected as a marriage candidate. If Yona hadn't witnessed the act, she would have automatically turned to Soo-won for comfort and support in her grief. The marriage between the two would have been a done deal, I think.
It's coming I swear, well kinda, even the manga is still vague on some of these details but I always got the impression that King Il knew about Soo Won's ambitions and opposed his marriage to Yona because of that. And to everyone saying he would have been a push-over, y'all do remember that the only person in the episode saying he was a coward was Yona and she isn't the most reliable character reference currently. :P
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 20:23   Link #58
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Hard to say what is up with Soo-won's motivations at this early stage. Even the positive moments we saw from him likely were just calculated to marry Yona post-assassination. Have her worried about intruders and thus it's easy to blame that when things happen. If she doesn't see anything, easy marriage.

I don't know. Could just be plain ambition. Although there was enough people ready not only to turn on the King but kill their Princess. So must have been something to sell to these people as reasons why this has to happen. Maybe some promise to become an expansive power that isn't just afraid of invasions, but can conquer themselves.

Maybe the guy was always a jerk.
Old 2014-10-09, 21:18   Link #59
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow things started out fast and strong
Old 2014-10-09, 23:12   Link #60
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Doh! How could I have forgotten about GH! *slaps forehead* (It was the only other series before AnY I watched that had an instrumental OP.)

Can't believe my memory is worse than Sensei's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
But LKK's F- is a little harsh.
LKK-sensei is mean! She always throws me in detention...just for being the angel I always am. *looks around for her halo*...hmm, appears I've misplaced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Still let's not gang up on PreSage here, instrumental openings hasn't happened in a while.
I'm surrounded!

...wait...I didn't know you can get something lower than an F? Wow, I'm good.

*cough* ...back on topic...If Soo-won's goal was to take over the throne because he believed that the King's pacifism will destroy the country then why did he also need to kill Yona? If he truly loved her, he would find another way, wouldn't he? Although he did say that he thought she was sleeping...but then he could have come to kill her in her sleep after he murdered her father.

But another interesting thing was why did his henchman try to capture Yona earlier? Right now his actions toward Yona are very contradicting.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, akatsuki no yona, anime, fantasy, reverse harem, romance, shoujo, yona of the dawn