AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-07-15, 00:55   Link #41
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Considering that "cognitive dissonance between art style and actual content" has been a trick in anime's book for some time now (the most famous examples being HXH and Madoka) I wouldn't really trust a generic impression on looks or character design to tell me everything about a show as a rule. This may be the most extreme example yet, of course, from what I gather.

The only complaint I DO have with the character designs is that I find slightly hard to tell them apart. Faces have all the same shape and basically everyone is reduced mostly to hair+eye colour. It's not a big deal because context and voice still make characters pretty much recognisable, but I'm worried about this becoming a problem if more occasional secondary characters are introduced.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 02:49   Link #42
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 05:55   Link #43
Renchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
1. This is the same Order that uses 14 years old orphans to explore despite all the risks, and hang a little girl naked as punishment. What's makes you think a pregnant women would be any different? Plus, She's probaly either didn't realize she's pregnant (the expedition lasted for 10 month long), or thought she could finish before Riko's birth. They certainly didn't expect encountering the foreign explorers.
2. The Order probably already examined her, hence why the orphanage know about Riko's eye condition and how to deal with it. They didn't find any abnormality beside her bad eyes, so why keep her? Also, the orphanage is still part of the order, so the order could still monitor Riko through the instructors.
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 08:46   Link #44
Irenesharda

So we now know for sure that Riko is 12 years old, and most of her companions, minus the toddler kid, are probably about the same.
There's a born scientist right there, though very soon, I think Riko needs to take a medical/science ethics class to know what she can and can't do in her analyses and scientific examinations. Especially without the permission of the human/cyborg subject. Even with animals there are quite a bit of hoops you have to deal with.

It was interesting finding out about Lyza, who from the description seems like your typical undependable, drunkard, loud mouth brawler anime female type. But I find it interesting that they specified that the government insisted that she go down and retrieve the bell, and not that she went down there even though she knew she was pregnant. In this world that seems to scream for a need for some safety regulation and child labor laws, we're getting some interesting world building in terms of the governments and guilds.

I'm kind of sad that Riko's father barely gets a mention. Anime fathers get the shaft so much, many barely mentioned and never show up. Boku no Hero was another show that I was annoying with that at.

I don't know why, but at this point, the series is beginning to remind of stories like Journey to the Center of the Earth and King Solomon's Mines. And I'm expecting this story to take some dark turns as those stories did, as they obviously will go down to seek out her mother at the bottom of the Abyss.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 09:10   Link #45
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
It was interesting finding out about Lyza, who from the description seems like your typical undependable, drunkard, loud mouth brawler anime female type.
When I heard Lyza's description, I thought she might be good friends with Michiko of Michiko to Hatchin. Hatchin and Riko are about same age, too.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 11:16   Link #46
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchan View Post
1. This is the same Order that uses 14 years old orphans to explore despite all the risks, and hang a little girl naked as punishment. What's makes you think a pregnant women would be any different? Plus, She's probaly either didn't realize she's pregnant (the expedition lasted for 10 month long), or thought she could finish before Riko's birth. They certainly didn't expect encountering the foreign explorers.
2. The Order probably already examined her, hence why the orphanage know about Riko's eye condition and how to deal with it. They didn't find any abnormality beside her bad eyes, so why keep her? Also, the orphanage is still part of the order, so the order could still monitor Riko through the instructors.

And... if the gestation period is still 9 months, then she wasn't pregnant when she started the expedition. Daddy could have been one of the guys on the expedition or locals in the Abyss.

Last edited by orion; 2017-07-15 at 11:51.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 12:32   Link #47
Nirvash0

Ryza had to obey the country and she knew about the baby incoming, that's why she had the cube ready.
Nirvash0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-16, 19:47   Link #48
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
And... if the gestation period is still 9 months, then she wasn't pregnant when she started the expedition. Daddy could have been one of the guys on the expedition or locals in the Abyss.
Her dad was part of the expedition team. He was a Black Whistle and lost his life on that expedition. But I understood that she was pregnant before the start of the expedition. The 10 months period cited could also include the return trip.

I laughed so hard at Riko's thorough examination of Reg.

At first I didn't like or think the children as MCs fit the plot but now I find it works. Their innocence and their reality contrasts to make it interesting. Plus I find their interactions very cute!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-16, 20:01   Link #49
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post

I laughed so hard at Riko's thorough examination of Reg.
So did I. It's nice that Riko has a passion for experimenting but she should really learn some of the rules about experiment, namely ones about consent and waiting for the patient to be conscious.
Old 2017-07-16, 20:54   Link #50
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Well, Riko is certainly a curious girl That came out completely out of nowhere and it was awesome, a great way to show just how unique our protagonist is. It also helped to show Reg can get embarassed just like any normal boy, which was pretty cute, so win all around. Of course, can't forget about the useful illustrations of people suffering horribly due to the curse of the abyss, just in case you weren't sure yet if this series was going to have an ugly side to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
So did I. It's nice that Riko has a passion for experimenting but she should really learn some of the rules about experiment, namely ones about consent and waiting for the patient to be conscious.
It's a robot, maybe, so its fine. Maybe
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-16, 21:36   Link #51
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That puts Riko's "punishment" solidly in the karmic balance category.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-16, 23:55   Link #52
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I wonder if Riko was also testing out the saying "having a stick up your butt"...although Reg doesn't seem to be that type of robot. (Funny that her friend quickly informed us that he removed the stick - good thing because otherwise I was wondering if it was still in there.)

But I do have to wonder - along with Reg in the first ep (a scene which made me laugh as well) - why does a robot need a real p? For some reason, I'm thinking Reg isn't entirely just robot. He's either an android or human cyborg.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-17, 07:30   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think it's pretty clear that Reg is a human boy with some unusual augmentations.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-17, 07:45   Link #54
cupumanager

Found a stitch of the Depth Chart shown in the OP. The Abyss is suffocatingly deep, and this is just what known so far, as the bottom is yet to be known
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Its much deeper than the Mariana Trench, perhaps could be twice as deep.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-17, 10:52   Link #55
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
Found a stitch of the Depth Chart shown in the OP. The Abyss is suffocatingly deep, and this is just what known so far, as the bottom is yet to be known
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Its much deeper than the Mariana Trench, perhaps could be twice as deep.
Well, are those number in meters? The unit symbol is unfamiliar and I can't remember if they've mentioned units. Are those measurement comparable to our own world's measurement? If not, we can't really compare how deep it is compared to the Mariana Trench.

However, that said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.It's basically a giant hole going to the center of the planet. This is Journey to the Center of the Earth: Anime Style!

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-17, 21:39   Link #56
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Finally got around to watching this today. Really loving it so far.
Old 2017-07-18, 00:27   Link #57
Hamster

So after the reveal that the abyss curse gets worse after each layer. Is it safe to assume that white whistles are divers that have taken permanent residence in the 4th layers and below?

Or are they special divers that are the only ones able to return from the deeper layers without losing their humanity or dying because the anime didn't really make it clear that you can develop a form of resistance from the curse.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-18, 10:02   Link #58
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
So after the reveal that the abyss curse gets worse after each layer. Is it safe to assume that white whistles are divers that have taken permanent residence in the 4th layers and below?

Or are they special divers that are the only ones able to return from the deeper layers without losing their humanity or dying because the anime didn't really make it clear that you can develop a form of resistance from the curse.
I think the whistles just mark how deep you can go and still come back mostly alive. At the higher levels that might mostly be training for the dangers but the lower ones need something special in the person it seems like.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-19, 03:55   Link #59
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

As a non manga reader i' m not so much impressed by this adaption, seems very generic, immature and boring, even with some tame fanservice here and there don't catch much my attention and i have difficult everytime to watch the whole episode without skipping some parts, hopefully something better happen when they will move into the abyss.
I give it 2-3 more episodes, but overall adventure kid shows aren't really my cup of tea. °-°
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-19, 13:44   Link #60
coded321
He Who Games

^As a manga reader, i can tell you this series so not some kid adventure show like pokemon or digimon. I was like you, starting the manga thinking it was just an adventure kid manga, so i was left unprepared for when the story got DARK. There's a reason why the manga is a seinen, not a shounen.
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, dark fantasy, monsters, robot, science fiction