Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-30, 12:55   Link #201
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Thanks for that bit of info was dreading the axe but this is great news . Little disappointed knowing its only 12 Episodes
Well when they aged him, they pretty much turned away a bit of the crowd. Now it's only the Golgo 13 crowd that's left to watch this.
Old 2010-05-30, 13:21   Link #202
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well when they aged him, they pretty much turned away a bit of the crowd. Now it's only the Golgo 13 crowd that's left to watch this.
While they want a Japanese crowd too, I'm sure the intended audience is the American crowd that watches the movies and reads the comic books.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 17:14   Link #203
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
I realized that, after you pointed it out. Yeah the age factor does effect the demographics vastly . Dont even remind me of Golgo, he took the fun out of James Bond .

I hope the character does retains the personality that Robert Downey, brought into the movie .
Old 2010-05-30, 17:49   Link #204
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
I realized that, after you pointed it out. Yeah the age factor does effect the demographics vastly . Dont even remind me of Golgo, he took the fun out of James Bond .

I hope the character does retains the personality that Robert Downey, brought into the movie .
Looking like Robert Downey (Sherlock Holmes version) would also be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
While they want a Japanese crowd too, I'm sure the intended audience is the American crowd that watches the movies and reads the comic books.
The crowd that doesn't buy anime? Poor Madhouse. I hope that they don't bankrupt over this one.
Old 2010-05-30, 19:14   Link #205
GDB

Quote:
The crowd that doesn't buy anime? Poor Madhouse. I hope that they don't bankrupt over this one.
The one that doesn't buy anime based on things that aren't in their current range of interests, you mean? They buy the horrible movies, they'll buy the vastly better anime.
Old 2010-05-30, 22:19   Link #206
orion

Quote:
The one that doesn't buy anime based on things that aren't in their current range of interests, you mean? They buy the horrible movies, they'll buy the vastly better anime.
Not necessary true. As live-action and anime buyers are not the same type. If you had Hollywood actors in this, then it would sell. Robert Downey, Samuel L. Jackson....
Old 2010-05-30, 23:53   Link #207
GDB

Quote:
Not necessary true. As live-action and anime buyers are not the same type. If you had Hollywood actors in this, then it would sell. Robert Downey, Samuel L. Jackson....
I meant horrible movies like this:
Old 2010-05-31, 00:18   Link #208
orion

Quote:
I meant horrible movies like this:
Oh those. I only buy Batman.
Old 2010-05-31, 00:56   Link #209
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Eeewww. Too old looking.

They should have kept him young.
facepalm.jpg

At least it is realistic this way.. We don't all want Marvel to be too anime-tized specially not Tony Stark.
This Tony looks pretty much like the comic book version, like he is supposed to look

I hope this Tony is actually more like the comics, a bit more heartless than Robert Downey.
But please keep in mind Robert is not the youngest either (45), this one is most likely younger than he is.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 09:32   Link #210
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
facepalm.jpg

I hope this Tony is actually more like the comics, a bit more heartless than Robert Downey.
But please keep in mind Robert is not the youngest either (45), this one is most likely younger than he is.
But he looks young with a good looking body. That's all that's required in Hollywood.

Besides anime in the US is mostly targeted for teens. So the girls won't bite on this one (too old, not a bishonen design) and it only leaves the guys left. And since this isn't Naruto or Bleach or a typical anime/moe design ....

So it's a potential fail since the whole point of this was to introduce Ironman comics to Japan and Asia thru the anime. You've also potentially locked out a high proportion of US anime fans. So you're really only left with the US comic fans supporting this one.

I hope that Madhouse has learned a few lessons from GONZO's mistakes and won't repeat them since I really want Hellsing Ultimate completed.

Last edited by orion; 2010-05-31 at 09:52.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 13:08   Link #211
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Eeewww. Too old looking.

They should have kept him young.
Because everything must be about eternal teenagers.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 15:27   Link #212
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Ok after seeing the trailer I like the suit. I'll forgive the no mustache Tony Stark.

But the Wolverine on I cannot let it pass. Shame on the designer...
i'll only watch this if Tony stark is still the same and their in america.
Old 2010-05-31, 16:24   Link #213
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Because everything must be about eternal teenagers.
why not ?

what the purpose of "alternate version" if they looks exactly same. I'm rather enjoy Marvel Comics event and RDJ movie if want the real "Tony Stark" and the others.

Last edited by fertygo; 2010-05-31 at 18:20.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 21:43   Link #214
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
why not ?

what the purpose of "alternate version" if they looks exactly same. I'm rather enjoy Marvel Comics event and RDJ movie if want the real "Tony Stark" and the others.
Ironman wouldnt be the same if it wasnt the same tony stark, why change it when its already good? look at that wolverine reject. I'd say they shoulda stuck with the original.
Old 2010-05-31, 22:41   Link #215
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

The first teaser poster with a younger Tony looks good. He looks to be in his 20s, I thought it was a good "in between" age
Old 2010-05-31, 23:26   Link #216
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Ironman wouldnt be the same if it wasnt the same tony stark, why change it when its already good? look at that wolverine reject. I'd say they shoulda stuck with the original.
Because your target audience changed. The target audience is still Japanese anime viewers. US viewers won't see this legally until 2011 if they are not at Comic Con in July. Not that it matters that much since Japanese and US anime viewers have similar tastes.

When they ditched the bishonen design, they lost the female component. When they aged him, his coffin was sealed. (Girls won't buy titles that have ugly main males in it. Look at how well Big Windup! did in the US. It did so well that FUNi decided not to license season 2.) They also prob ditched Pepper's otaku friendly designs too. There goes the male otaku component. If they age her, her coffin is also sealed. She won't sell any of those pillow merchandise if she's too old. No merchandise sales, no profits for Madhouse.

Wolverine is aimed at the Asian market. He has a bishonen design to capture female viewers. He appears to be young to capture both populations. Madhouse might be hoping that the profits from Wolverine will make up the expected loss from IronMan in Japan. Hopeflully, they got a lump sum from Marvel to cover their costs and a bit of a profit.

US sales is relying on DVD sales in a time where B&Ms don't sell that much anime and prob a TV contract.

Besides, Witchblade changed for the anime component. She became a single slightly irresponsible mom with assets and an outfit that barely covered areas that guys like to look at. She also had a high moe value with her irresponsibility. She was also in her early 20's IIRC to keep her a magnet for the guys in Japan.

Last edited by orion; 2010-05-31 at 23:38.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 06:42   Link #217
twinklestar
anime fanbot..LOL!

The anime version of Iron Man will be aired on Animax Asia this October.
twinklestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 09:04   Link #218
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklestar View Post
The anime version of Iron Man will be aired on Animax Asia this October.
Awesome news.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 11:26   Link #219
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
why not ?
Because maybe there's more to a genre that's supposedly as diverse as anime than pretty boys. It'd have been nice to see them transplant Stark into a new design that was still close enough to his old one so that your average person could see him as different take on the same character, rather than just taking an different character and slapping the same name on.

That's not to say I'm crazy about the new design. It looks like they're reacting to displeasure with "young bishie" Tony Stark and doing a 180 into making him "gritty older" Tony Stark. A more stylized design probably would have looked better.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 12:01   Link #220
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Because maybe there's more to a genre that's supposedly as diverse as anime than pretty boys. It'd have been nice to see them transplant Stark into a new design that was still close enough to his old one so that your average person could see him as different take on the same character, rather than just taking an different character and slapping the same name on.

That's not to say I'm crazy about the new design. It looks like they're reacting to displeasure with "young bishie" Tony Stark and doing a 180 into making him "gritty older" Tony Stark. A more stylized design probably would have looked better.
Well we all love the Real Tony Stark but for me what make this project fascinating is a chance to see different looks from Marvel franchise, and the appearance changes for the character is a bold move to show that. Come on Marvel can make thousand animation project like this if they want, but to make old stuff again even after they get MADHOUSE ?

Honestly I won't mind with wolverine appearance change too, we can always claim it not exist if the show proven as shit later anyways.

I'm disappoint with these change if true, but I still waiting for it, its MADHOUSE and Iron Man afterall.