AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-04-14, 23:43   Link #361
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Not blaming you or anything, but I'm guessing you saw the OP/ED scenes. It's exactly why I like to avoid those, since they give away future possibilities. I'd like the story to tell me as I go, like a book; you don't get a preview of the next chapter(or across all chapters) at the end of the current one. Hopefully I'll forget this statement by next week.
Oh, sorry, I kind of assume everyone watches the OP/ED even though those are so prone to spoilers...which I guess now I understand why you would skip them .
Old 2024-04-15, 03:59   Link #362
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Not blaming you or anything, but I'm guessing you saw the OP/ED scenes. It's exactly why I like to avoid those, since they give away future possibilities. I'd like the story to tell me as I go, like a book; you don't get a preview of the next chapter(or across all chapters) at the end of the current one. Hopefully I'll forget this statement by next week.
Honestly, this is my main gripe with Mushoku Tensei II compared to the first season: the fact it actually has a classical OP that breaks the flow of the episode and does its own, spoiler-filled, thing.

One of the things that made the first season so great was the fact that the OP never broke the flow of the episode and was, in fact, used to populate in little details and bits of extra lore while using only visuals accompanied by a more mellow song(s).

The first half of season 2 broke with that convention by giving us a more typical OP while it kept the song in mostly the same register. This second half of the season, meanwhile, looks and sounds like a shounen battle manga OP. It was an instant skip for me. Thankfully the ED still delivers and I do understand that it was, probably, unsustainable to keep animating an extra 1m30s every week with multiple different musical accompaniments. But I can still feel disappointed can't it? (and skip the OP)
Old 2024-04-15, 05:15   Link #363
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
One of the things that made the first season so great was the fact that the OP never broke the flow of the episode and was, in fact, used to populate in little details and bits of extra lore while using only visuals accompanied by a more mellow song(s).

The first half of season 2 broke with that convention by giving us a more typical OP while it kept the song in mostly the same register. This second half of the season, meanwhile, looks and sounds like a shounen battle manga OP. It was an instant skip for me. Thankfully the ED still delivers and I do understand that it was, probably, unsustainable to keep animating an extra 1m30s every week with multiple different musical accompaniments. But I can still feel disappointed can't it? (and skip the OP)
It turned the series from a vibe series that lulled you into it and allowed for some nice slice of life montages that were really enjoyable into something just average. Which is definitely a bummer.

Even if there are spoilers in this OP, I couldn't tell, since much of it looks like generic OP-only monster and random anime-original set pieces just like the previous season and plenty of other isekai (KonoSuba certainly does it). LN readers seem pretty upset by how much it is showing, but I was just assuming it was filler animation.

I wouldn't buy an excuse about sustainability in doing the previous method. The OPs from the first two seasons were shared across both seasons or were a rearrangement, it's not as many songs as it is made to look like, which is why it was so cleverly executed.
As for an extra minute and a half of animation being a cost-driver...ARIA did it for 52 episodes and doesn't have the popularity this series holds.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-15, 05:50   Link #364
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
It turned the series from a vibe series that lulled you into it and allowed for some nice slice of life montages that were really enjoyable into something just average. Which is definitely a bummer.

Even if there are spoilers in this OP, I couldn't tell, since much of it looks like generic OP-only monster and random anime-original set pieces just like the previous season and plenty of other isekai (KonoSuba certainly does it). LN readers seem pretty upset by how much it is showing, but I was just assuming it was filler animation.

I wouldn't buy an excuse about sustainability in doing the previous method. The OPs from the first two seasons were shared across both seasons or were a rearrangement, it's not as many songs as it is made to look like, which is why it was so cleverly executed.
As for an extra minute and a half of animation being a cost-driver...ARIA did it for 52 episodes and doesn't have the popularity this series holds.
It didn't even click for me that Aria did the same. Good callback.

But I think you underestimate the impact of an extra minute plus of animation has in weekly anime production. It might be the difference between completing every episode on time, or reaching the end of the season with crunch to get those final episodes out the door. Anime production timelines are brutal and every minute counts so, while I'm not saying it's 100% a time saver, I'm not discounting it either.

As for the spoilers in OP thing, I don't know if there are any in there either (anime only as well), but it does seem spoilerific to me.

Btw Konosuba is actually a good example of something well done. Even if they do have a typical OP, the animation in the OP almost sums up to a short story separate from the events in the season, which makes is pass for me. (at least for the currently airing S3)
Old 2024-04-15, 06:37   Link #365
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I liked "Spiral" more than the current opening but the ending suddenly became one of my favorites. Then again, I think it's the same singer from the previous seasons. I expected a big wedding but I guess they couldn't make such big celebrations for some reasons or there aren't that many religions in that world.
Old 2024-04-15, 17:58   Link #366
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Honestly, this is my main gripe with Mushoku Tensei II compared to the first season: the fact it actually has a classical OP that breaks the flow of the episode and does its own, spoiler-filled, thing.

I actually thought the OP was great both visually and theme-wise, especially with some amazing shots.

It really captured kind of the duality of of the show with the SoL Romance and family stuff as well as the High Fantasy action.
Old 2024-04-16, 06:45   Link #367
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I don't remember "Spiral" spoiling important things but season 2 so far has been a calmer season than season 1. I mean, the fights have been short and the story focused more on daily lives. Judging by the new opening, the series will go back to the action though.
Old 2024-04-21, 10:58   Link #368
Frontier

Oh hey, a letter from Paul! Not only is he giving out some fatherly praise to Rudy, but he's also informing him that they're on their way to free Zenith (with Roxie!!!). But it's no place for children, so a familiar set of hands are delivering Aisha and Norn to Rudy for the time being. Sounds like Norn will be a bit of a handful, but it's time for Rudy to step up as a big brother! In fact he's ready to support his entire family .

It's cute watching Rudy and Sylphie practice magic together, and healing magic won't be his speciality like it is Sylphie's...but they've also got kids to think about. Assuming Sylphie can even have kids, but the only woman Rudy wants to love, kids or no kids, is Sylphie .

They're finally making progress on Nanahoshi's summoning circle! Or they were until it turned out to be another failure. I mean, it's just a moment to grow on, right? Well, too many failures and her inability to go home finally breaks Nanahoshi and she loses it...and it reminds Rudy too well of his state when he gave up on everything .

Piggyback rides and princess carries! All the better because even Julie gets one !

Sometimes you need to bring in some different perspectives and open yourself up to others, as Rudy does with the rest of the gang by roping them into helping with Nanahoshi's problem. And with Cliff and Zanoba's insight, and the doll that almost killed them, they're able to come up with a solution! Especially after Elinalise comforts her man from overthinking too much .

It's cute how when they have the sleepover Cliff and Elinalise sleep together. It's like they're already married !

Nanahoshi seeing there's a chance is restored, and while she and Cliff bicker a bit, they're prep montage ends up bearing fruit as they manage to bring over a plastic bottle! Pretty basic, but still an achivement! And now Nanahoshi has hope she can return home and she has other to thank for it. She even manages to open herself up a little and enjoy herself around everybody, something that's new for both her and Rudy .

I love how Rudy is carrying a drunk Sylphie home and who should already be there but his two little sisters already fighting...but at least Aisha is happy to see him. And who else should follow him but the man, the myth, the legend...RUIJERD !
Old 2024-04-21, 11:49   Link #369
magnuskn

The danger with writing a strongly serialized story is that at times story parts which set up other important plot points may lag a bit. We are still in that territory, which will be strongly paid off later on. Still, this is enjoyable, but quite far away from the way better first season. And I say this loving the series so much that I own all the light novels.
Old 2024-04-21, 13:18   Link #370
ryllharu

This is still a big improvement over the previous cour. This one feels like Progress.

Nanahoshi had her setback and crisis, but learning from the doll through the others that she was limiting herself, allowed her to make a huge breakthrough in the biggest mystery the series currently has going. It also resulted in her dropping her reserved and secretive attitude. She still wants to go home, but she's taken a big step in accepting help from others and the results were very significant. She's no longer actively disengaged from the world she's found herself in.

It's a nice parallel to young Rudeus who didn't want to leave the property, then became the social butterfly he is now. He's correctly situated to know how to support Nanahoshi in her own struggle.

This is the kind of slow progress I can get behind, instead of the issues last season that felt like they never integrated with anything outside of the same episode in which they appeared.

Also longer term worries like Sylphie concerned about her hereditary risks of conceiving, and now Norn and Aisha showing up broaden the family dynamic, make the series feel like it is looking foward instead of constantly at its feet.

I still miss Eris though, she made the show substantially livelier. At least we got a 3 second appearance of a disgruntled Roxy.
Old 2024-04-21, 13:52   Link #371
Frontier

Quote:
This is still a big improvement over the previous cour. This one feels like Progress.

Nanahoshi had her setback and crisis, but learning from the doll through the others that she was limiting herself, allowed her to make a huge breakthrough in the biggest mystery the series currently has going. It also resulted in her dropping her reserved and secretive attitude. She still wants to go home, but she's taken a big step in accepting help from others and the results were very significant. She's no longer actively disengaged from the world she's found herself in.

It's a nice parallel to young Rudeus who didn't want to leave the property, then became the social butterfly he is now. He's correctly situated to know how to support Nanahoshi in her own struggle.

This is the kind of slow progress I can get behind, instead of the issues last season that felt like they never integrated with anything outside of the same episode in which they appeared.

Also longer term worries like Sylphie concerned about her hereditary risks of conceiving, and now Norn and Aisha showing up broaden the family dynamic, make the series feel like it is looking foward instead of constantly at its feet.

I still miss Eris though, she made the show substantially livelier. At least we got a 3 second appearance of a disgruntled Roxy.
I feel like this season we're seeing a lot of relationship-building from the last-cour really culminating and complimenting other stuff going on, especially the impact it has on Rudeus' life.

I imagine Ruijerd is going to bring up the Eris-sized elephant in the room.
Old 2024-04-21, 15:43   Link #372
Huh...?

For anyone wondering, the Song that Nanahoshi's VA sang as the ED for S2E15 was "Tsubasa" by UNDER GRAPH
(2014)
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
(2019)
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-21, 17:59   Link #373
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I understand Nanahoshi's obsession with going home. Although they're both from Japan, her circumstances are completely different from Rudeus. Both in Japan and in this world. Rudeus completely won the isekai lottery, and it's finally hitting him now.

I'm happy the little sisters are going to be relevant. He's already previously won Aisha over, but Norn will be a different matter. I don't remember how young they were when the big incident happened so I don't know if they'll remember Sylphie.
Old 2024-04-21, 18:57   Link #374
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't remember how young they were when the big incident happened so I don't know if they'll remember Sylphie.
Haven't both of them spent far more time with Sylphie than they have with Rudeus? She was spending a great deal of time learning things from Zenith while Rudeus was tutoring Eris.

The most minor problem is how long it takes them to recognize her without green hair.
Old 2024-04-21, 20:41   Link #375
grecefar

there is only so much you can do by yourself and nanahoshi realized that now. Rudeus was spot on asking for help, cliff was a huge help and zenoba got the idea across with layered circles in the dolls. It was nice to see them working together.

and it was so good to see ruijerd. I don't know about the sisters... I mean aisha is cool but it is going to be complicated with norm and I hope it doesn't become too annoying.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-22, 06:11   Link #376
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Haven't both of them spent far more time with Sylphie than they have with Rudeus? She was spending a great deal of time learning things from Zenith while Rudeus was tutoring Eris.

The most minor problem is how long it takes them to recognize her without green hair.
They have, since Rudeus was sent away pretty much right after they were born. I just don't recall how old they were when the teleportation happened. If they were 3 or 4 years old, they probably don't remember her much.
Old 2024-04-22, 06:37   Link #377
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

This was more slice of life than usual. I mean Nanahoshi went from depression to happiness so quickly. Also, the handling of the "slave" was surprisingly adorable to the point it feels the writers were aware of last year's controversy. That postcredit scene only lacked the cheers from the audience when the season 1 characters appeared.
Old 2024-04-22, 08:04   Link #378
magnuskn

What Banana had was more of mental breakdown which burned her out with despair, due to loss of hope. When given sudden hope, she quickly recovered, especially since she's a workaholic.
Old 2024-04-22, 17:15   Link #379
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They have, since Rudeus was sent away pretty much right after they were born. I just don't recall how old they were when the teleportation happened. If they were 3 or 4 years old, they probably don't remember her much.
The Mana Disaster was right after Rudeus's 10th birthday, so I guess the question is "how old was he when he was sent to tutor Eris?" I want to say he was her tutor for like 3 years, so that'd be 7 years old.

Next question would be how long was Rudy around with them after they were born before being shipped off. And that I have absolutely no idea. Definitely wasn't for too long, since he had his 5th birthday while Roxy was still there if I recall.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-22, 18:15   Link #380
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
This was more slice of life than usual. I mean Nanahoshi went from depression to happiness so quickly. Also, the handling of the "slave" was surprisingly adorable to the point it feels the writers were aware of last year's controversy. That postcredit scene only lacked the cheers from the audience when the season 1 characters appeared.
Julie is a slave in name only. Nobody treats her like one or refers to her as such. She has quickly made her way into Zanoba and Rudeus' hearts.

Tags
fantasy, isekai