AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-01-09, 23:50   Link #11821
TerranReaper
I am of the Blood Ravens

Send a message via MSN to TerranReaper
Spoiler for KOTR 17:

Should Nanoha go check it out?
A)Yes
B)No
TerranReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 00:30   Link #11822
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Well, since everybody's posting things tonight, I guess I will, too. Have another draft chapter of Stahlkonigin. This time out, we get to see the villains doing the Omniscient Council of Vagueness schtick (hey, at least I gave them names!) and some Nanoha/Fate/Vivio family stuff where I spend half a chapter trying to define everybody's relationship while hopefully amusing you. Allquall really does it better, though.

Spoiler for Stahlkonigin--Chapter 6:

...Admiral Leti is female, isn't s/he?
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 00:54   Link #11823
Jimmy C

Yes, Leti's a woman. Wasn't that obvious in A's?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 01:01   Link #11824
Arkeus

and in strikerS, Lindy says "leti and her group" (21)
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 01:03   Link #11825
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Yes, Leti's a woman. Wasn't that obvious in A's?

Gonna have to say that I can't actually answer that question, since I didn't even remember Leti being in A's. (Possibly watching it more than once would have cured that...) Honestly, I only remember her at all from the manga and even there I couldn't remember if she showed any signs of having a gender. Seriously, the only impressions she left on my memory at all were "strict" and "Griffith's parent." The only reason I assumed "female" was because that's a good bet for a random MGLN character and because she gave off this angry-librarian kind of vibe, if you know what I mean....
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 01:50   Link #11826
Jimmy C

She's in eps 1, 4 and 13 at least. Each time, it's quite clear she's female. How could you miss that? Just watch 13 while Lindy and Leti are talking after the BoD gets sent to her eternal rest. That should settle any questions on that score.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2009-01-10 at 02:19.
Old 2009-01-10, 02:05   Link #11827
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Behold. Leti (Or Lety) and son.

EDIT: Coding was fine, but it seems the host hated me. Host changed.

Last edited by Tempy; 2009-01-10 at 12:36.
Tempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 10:16   Link #11828
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
Behold. Leti. (Or Lety)

Spoiler for Leti and son~:
... ... ...

Spoiler for Leti and Son:

Last edited by TheShinySword; 2009-01-10 at 14:23.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 10:47   Link #11829
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
... ... ...

Spoiler for Leti and Son:
Leave it to TSS to come up with crack from that picture I giggled
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 10:47   Link #11830
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS!Vivio commentary
There's one sentence that even I, who am probably too fond of the passive voice for my own good, think is a bit of a train wreck: "The water was turned on and the soap was found."
To add to Dezo's words, you have too many sentences like that one. That seems to be your literary weakness. If you are doing it "to look different" or "for style", please stop. That isn't the way to do it. If you genuinely aren't sure when's the best time to switch to passive, then the next part may help.

Spoiler for active vs. passive voice in writing:

To wrap this up, I recommend you ask Angel check if you're using passives incorrectly in addition to spelling and grammar. It would help a lot and you still have half the story to post.

Another occasional glitch I see from you is how you write possessives as "[noun] of [owner]" instead of "[owner]'s [noun]" Most of the time, you get it right. But sometimes, you write things like "the strap of her purse" instead of "her purse's strap" I'd like to know what's your criteria for choosing the first instead of the second. Is it something from Spanish? Because, I know you know Spanish and the two other people I see this from sometimes are Spanish too. Just curious.

Quote:
Leti and Son
Nice sketch! Just one point:

Quote:
"Griffith~" An arm wiggled around his arm. "How's my baby doing," A kiss was planted on his cheek
You should change "his arm" to "Griffth's arm". Normally, it would be clear since you mentioned Griffth by name at the start. But Vice was featured featured so prominently in the previous line that I thought that "his arm"="Vice's arm"
Unless she really was hitting on Vice...

Edit: The reason I said this is because I wasn't able to see the picture until just now. I would have never brought the point up if I had seen it earlier.

Note to Satashi again. This line by TSS is a good example of when passive is more suitable than active.
Old 2009-01-10, 11:01   Link #11831
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
To add to Dezo's words, you have too many sentences like that one. That seems to be your literary weakness. If you are doing it "to look different" or "for style", please stop. That isn't the way to do it. If you genuinely aren't sure when's the best time to switch to passive, then the next part may help.

Spoiler for active vs. passive voice in writing:

To wrap this up, I recommend you ask Angel check if you're using passives incorrectly in addition to spelling and grammar. It would help a lot and you still have half the story to post.

Nice sketch! Just one point:

You should change "his arm" to "Griffth's arm". Normally, it would be clear since you mentioned Griffth by name at the start. But Vice was featured featured so prominently in the previous line that I thought that "his arm"="Vice's arm"
Unless she really was hitting on Vice...

Edit: The reason I said this is because I wasn't able to see the picture until just now. I would have never brought the point up if I had seen it earlier.

Note to Satashi again. This line by TSS is a good example of when passive is more suitable than active.
Lots to think about, as it's an unknown flaw I do. Don't really know what to say other than "I'll try and keep that in mind."

Quote:
Another occasional glitch I see from you is how you write possessives as "[noun] of [owner]" instead of "[owner]'s [noun]" Most of the time, you get it right. But sometimes, you write things like "the strap of her purse" instead of "her purse's strap" I'd like to know what's your criteria for choosing the first instead of the second. Is it something from Spanish? Because, I know you know Spanish and the two other people I see this from sometimes are Spanish too. Just curious.
Variety/Style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Spoiler for PS!Vivio commentary:
I'm glad you liked it ^_^ Yes, I specifically changed the point of Syn being a virgin in that one. I also remember you pointing out Vivio's chest size, and in the next chapter, I added in Vivio stating that she was a DDcup while Syn is an AA. For those of you who don't know, "DD" is larger than a "D" but "AA" is smaller than an "A". Basicaly it's pointing out that Syn is still wearing "training bras", which is the joke made <3 (Sorry Keroko :P )

I'm trying to recall everything said while posting and fixing/noting them as I go along. I am trying to smooth out the choppy feeling as best I can as well. As for Betaing, Angel is really busy right now so she can't help much at the current moment T_T And I don't trust anyone else to look at it (sorry).

Last edited by Satashi; 2009-01-10 at 11:16.
Old 2009-01-10, 11:39   Link #11832
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
Behold. Leti. (Or Lety)

Spoiler for Leti and son~:
I can't see it. Check your coding.
Old 2009-01-10, 12:20   Link #11833
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Lots to think about, as it's an unknown flaw I do. Don't really know what to say other than "I'll try and keep that in mind."
As you go through the rest of PS!V, change all the passives to active. See if that shifts the focus correctly. If it does, keep it. Else, revert to passive. That should fix most of your active/passive problems.

Quote:
Variety/Style.
Interesting. Personally, I feel that "[noun] of [owner]" is too stiffly formal and unusual. I would only use it if I had a declarative (this, these, that, those) before the [noun] and in such cases, it would be "[owner]'s" as well. But that's just me.

Quote:
Betaing, Angel is really busy right now so she can't help much at the current moment T_T And I don't trust anyone else to look at it (sorry).
I could help a bit. When I read your stories, I keep mentally highlighting your errors anyway. I won't be much good at reviewing content and flow, but I reduce your grammatical errors at least.

EDIT:

At the end of PS!V 4, you mentioned that Wan was the first fan that Vivio ever met. She didn't attend conventions before? And yes, even this industry has conventions. Meet-the-fans type conventions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I can't see it. Check your coding.
Right-click on the [X] icon, select "Properties," copy the URL address and paste it in a new window.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2009-01-10 at 13:16.
Old 2009-01-10, 13:30   Link #11834
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:

At the end of PS!V 4, you mentioned that Wan was the first fan that Vivio ever met. She didn't attend conventions before? And yes, even this industry has conventions. Meet-the-fans type conventions.
Well, besides the fans she meets at strip clubs and the like :3
Old 2009-01-10, 13:36   Link #11835
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Quote:
Another occasional glitch I see from you is how you write possessives as "[noun] of [owner]" instead of "[owner]'s [noun]" Most of the time, you get it right. But sometimes, you write things like "the strap of her purse" instead of "her purse's strap" I'd like to know what's your criteria for choosing the first instead of the second.
Maybe it was just your choice of example here, but I'd have to agree with Satashi's use of the '[noun] of [owner]' syntax for INANIMATE objects. An inanimate possessive form implies a certain degree of personification which, in most instances, is not the purpose of the sentence.

This expands on my point a bit, in particular, the part which cites the Gregg Reference manual

So with regard to inanimate objects, it's not a matter of formality in the tone, but one of substance. If you were to use the same syntax with animate objects, then that would read a bit strange.
yuiseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 13:42   Link #11836
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Well, besides the fans she meets at strip clubs and the like :3
Ok, I'll assume she's been too low-key to appear at conventions up to now. But really, those things can be a real boost to popularity. Her current company should have promoted her during her very first year with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuiseppe View Post
but I'd have to agree with Satashi's use of the '[noun] of [owner]' syntax for INANIMATE objects. An inanimate possessive form implies a certain degree of personification which, in most instances, is not the purpose of the sentence.
After reading the link you provided, I stand corrected. I had forgotten about those.
Old 2009-01-10, 13:59   Link #11837
SulliMike23
Soldier of Nod

Send a message via AIM to SulliMike23 Send a message via MSN to SulliMike23 Send a message via Yahoo to SulliMike23
Well I've started work on my Nanoha/Star Trek fanfic but at the moment I'll have to focus on how to proceed with introducing the main pairing in my fanfic; which will be Nanoha/Fate of course. But I have to be honest; this will be a first for me in 3 ways.

1) This will be my first Nanoha story,

2) This will be my first Star Trek fanfic,

3) This will be my first yuri fanfic as well.

So you can see my slight problems. I said I will make this work and I meant it; but seeing as how it will be my first fanfic in these three categories it might get a little challenging. So any advice on how to proceed with two of these will be helpful.

Being a Star Trek fan, I know quite a lot of information and can access it around. But how to proceed with anything related to Nanoha and yuri will be something I may need help on since I've never written a single yuri fanfic in my fanfic writing career. Still, I'll do my best.

Last edited by SulliMike23; 2009-01-10 at 23:48.
SulliMike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 14:07   Link #11838
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Right-click on the [X] icon, select "Properties," copy the URL address and paste it in a new window.
That's if he's using internet explorer. On other programs such as FireFox and Opera, the image doesn't even show up at all.
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 14:21   Link #11839
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
That's if he's using internet explorer. On other programs such as FireFox and Opera, the image doesn't even show up at all.
All he has to do is look at it in quote form
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 15:02   Link #11840
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
All he has to do is look at it in quote form
true, that is very true indeed XD
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags