AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-23, 18:18   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Valkyria Chronicles - Weapons and Technology

Welcome to Valkyria Chronicles - Weapons and Technology discussion thread. The purpose of this thread is to discuss weapons and other Valkyria Chronicles related gadgetry and technology.

Thread Guidelines
  • If required, please use spoiler tags (with appropriate titles) if your comments are based on the latest episode raws (or any non-anime source).
    [spoiler=episode number]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
    Please include the episode number or some such title in the spoiler tag (spoiler=episode number) since it at least helps others to identify if they may or may not have seen that particualr episode. A spoiler without such a title is almost as bad as no spoiler since the temptation not to click is so difficult

• Please keep discussion about plot and storylines in the relevant Episode Discussion threads, not here.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members and try and keep the discussion on topic and above all, have fun
Old 2009-04-23, 20:04   Link #2
OpenDoors

Question for people more familiar with WWII era tanks:

Is the situation so far portrayed in the anime where a newer tank demolishes tanks of a previous generation that bad possible in real life? I am just curious.
Old 2009-04-23, 20:29   Link #3
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Well shooting two rounds in about 0.5 seconds as was portrayed in episode 2 is certainly not possible, I'll tell you that.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-04-23, 20:58   Link #4
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenDoors View Post

Is the situation so far portrayed in the anime where a newer tank demolishes tanks of a previous generation that bad possible in real life? I am just curious.
Yes, absolutely. One shot in a tank battle is enough to be the decisive factor of victory or failure.

Or, during later stages of WWII, there were accounts where a Tiger tank can knock out two Shermans with one single shell.

On the other hand, like JagdPanther noted, you simply can't reload a tank that fast, even with an autoloader.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-23, 22:10   Link #5
SethEng
Eating your babies

Send a message via AIM to SethEng
The Tiger comparison is a good one too, as the gun on the Edelweiss is an 88mm gun, similar to the one on the Tiger. The Edelweiss's gun is shorter, however, only 44 calibers compared to the Tiger's 56 calibers, caliber being a unit of measure based on the diameter of the gun.

I wonder if they'll upgrade the Edelweiss like they do in the game? It started out like a massively overgunned Panzer III/IV and ended looking like a smaller Panzer VI Ausf. B. That would be quite awesome to see.

I also wonder if we'll see the upgraded and royal versions of all the weapons and if they'll draw them better? Some of the later weapon upgrades are insanely long though. The Gallia S20 is rediciously long for a five-round semi-auto battle rifle. It even comes with a built in bipod. On the other hand, the rifles and SMGs with the water cooling jackets are just silly.
Old 2009-04-23, 22:22   Link #6
Tak

Oh dear Valkyrie no. I rather they not tamper with the upgrade function in the anime.

In the game, all upgraded weapons ended up becoming some sort of monstrosity that was impossible to be wielded by human hands. Not to mention the Edelweiss' main gun, which became one gigantic facking barrel once you upgraded it to maximum.

The basic designs for the weapons were fine, there was really no need to do anything else. I'd much rather them be customized with optional accessories instead of forceful upgrades.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-23, 22:41   Link #7
SethEng
Eating your babies

Send a message via AIM to SethEng
Some of the earlier weapon upgrades weren't too bad though. The initial Gallia-S rifles were pretty reasonably sized and the larger magazine SMGs look more like assault rifles, but they didn't strike me as terribly unreasonable. Or Ruhm, but that's not Gallian.

Unreasonable is that huge royal SMG with the massive water cooled jacket on it with a huge flamethrower slapped under it that I always give to Rosie. Or the Gallia-S20s. Or the last sniper rifles, which about a foot too long, methinks.

The middle of the weapon tree? Those were pretty reasonable.
Old 2009-04-23, 22:48   Link #8
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Nice of them to actually use somewhat proper German designations for the Imperial weapons.
Old 2009-04-24, 01:11   Link #9
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Well shooting two rounds in about 0.5 seconds as was portrayed in episode 2 is certainly not possible, I'll tell you that.
An assistant gunner has about 6.67 seconds time to reload the main gun of a leopard two. just in comparison. I never heard of an automatic loading system for tanks that is designed to do two shots in 0.5 seconds although I would not doubt that there are researchs on such reload system. If I compare the edelweiss with a big MG 3, yes, it would be possible. but the pushback would be immense
but in the the timescale of VC. no, not possible.

edit: panzerhaubitze 2000 10 seconds 3 rounds so even current it's quite impossible.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2009-04-24 at 02:53.
Old 2009-04-24, 03:23   Link #10
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:

well in Company of Heroes - Tales of Valor there is 1 mission that you have to play a lone Tiger tank and have to face a whole US armor brigade and it is fairy easy to win.
Old 2009-04-24, 04:30   Link #11
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
well in Company of Heroes - Tales of Valor there is 1 mission that you have to play a lone Tiger tank and have to face a whole US armor brigade and it is fairy easy to win.
I doubt that a Game is the same like in real life.

Btw. Tak: http://www.panzer-archiv.de/planunge...rie/eserie.htm seems to be also very identical to the edelweiss. and it's only a prototype too
Old 2009-04-24, 07:27   Link #12
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
I doubt that a Game is the same like in real life.
One answer: Michael Wittmann.

Quote:
Btw. Tak: http://www.panzer-archiv.de/planunge...rie/eserie.htm seems to be also very identical to the edelweiss. and it's only a prototype too
Now that I begin reading it, the Edelweiss shares a lot of specification similarities with the E-50 series.

Der E-50 sollte den Panther ersetzen: Das 50 t schwere Fahrzeug sollte von einem 800 PS Motor auf 60 km/h beschleunigt werden. Zusätzlich wurde hier ein neuer Drehturm für eine 8,8 cm KwK 42 entwickelt.

The Edelweiss also has a 800HS motor, running at 60KM/h, armed with the exact spec of the gun at 88mm KwK 42

It also has the curved turret design. Shoot, this might be the answer I have been looking for Actually, you know what, THIS IS IT! EDELWEISS IS THE E-50!

I have not seen a E-series picture, but now you've shown me, and I am enlightened.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2009-04-24 at 07:38.
Old 2009-04-24, 08:29   Link #13
Father Hentai

I wasn' t quite happy with the King Tiger because the following criteria spoke against this tank version:
- slow
- maneuvrability
- mass product type (King Tiger was fully developed and released > known tank)
- caterpillar (The Edelweiss Caterpillar reminds moere of the Leopard 2 (2 Big Wheels front and rear and 6 small whells)

I' m still a bit researchin on this but I think the Edelweiss fits more to a tank which was in prototype stage.
Old 2009-04-24, 08:31   Link #14
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Heh, does this chassis look familiar to anyone?

;D

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-04-24, 22:54   Link #15
solembum
The WereCat

nobody else noticed the skidding part? lol a tracked vehicle skidding . and I dont think I've seen their turret traverse yet..
Old 2009-04-25, 05:39   Link #16
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

IMO, The Edelweiss is actually a Leopard 2 hence it's speed & armor.
Old 2009-04-25, 06:19   Link #17
PzIVf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Heh, does this chassis look familiar to anyone?

;D
Its looks to me a mobile headquarter Panther II.

There is really Panzer III can submerge through rivers.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...uchpanzer.html

Last edited by PzIVf3; 2009-04-25 at 06:42.
Old 2009-04-25, 11:20   Link #18
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Its looks to me a mobile headquarter Panther II.

There is really Panzer III can submerge through rivers.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...uchpanzer.html
actually all tanks can submerge up to a specific limit. You just have to be sure the crew cab is made watertight.
Old 2009-04-25, 11:51   Link #19
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:

It did happen, and it's called Operation Desert Storm (aka Gulf War I). The Iraqi T-72s that went up against the US Army's M1A1 Abrams MBTs were massacared. M1A1s were sniping T-72s from afar, outside of range of the T-72. The few T-72s that managed to close the gap and fire were treated to the unpleasant sight of their shells bouncing off the M1A1's chobham armor.

Quote:
An assistant gunner has about 6.67 seconds time to reload the main gun of a leopard two. just in comparison. I never heard of an automatic loading system for tanks that is designed to do two shots in 0.5 seconds although I would not doubt that there are researchs on such reload system. If I compare the edelweiss with a big MG 3, yes, it would be possible. but the pushback would be immense
but in the the timescale of VC. no, not possible.
A well trained M1A1 crew can do 1 round every 4 seconds.

In terms of styling, it's hard to say where the Edelweiss is derived from, but in terms of features, there's no doubt in my mind: Edelweiss is a Merkava. It's got good gun, good armor, good speed, roomy enough to carry troops (although the placement of the ragnite engine prevents the position of a rear hatch like on the Merkava) and smoke dispensers and mortars.

The Merkava has a good gun, good armor, good speed, can carry a 4-man infantry team and holds smoke dispensers and a 60mm mortar.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-04-25, 12:12   Link #20
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

My take on the Edelweiss.

To me it seems like a mix of a Pzkpfw VI and M24 Pershing. The turret looks like that of a M60 Patton.

Pzkpfw VI
Spoiler for image size:

M24 Pershing
Spoiler for image size:
Closed Thread