Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-06, 12:09   Link #41
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

*starts watching ep1*
*pauses*

I wanted to hit my head when I heard Fukuyama.
His voice is like, a whole ways different from that character's original voice, right?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 12:49   Link #42
Freeter
beyond

This whole recast is full of fail. Everyone sounds off, and Saki is just Biribiri 2.0.

Not even those Monogatari references can save this.
Old 2013-07-06, 14:20   Link #43
Utsuro no Hako

Ohno and Kuchiki are really miscast, but Sue, Ogiue and Saki sounded okay to me and I thought Madarame and Sasahara were spot on. And the new cast is great.

It's been a while since I've watched the first two seasons, but the backstory with Ogiue and the manga club girls never got shown, did it? That's going to be confusing for anime-only viewers later on.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 14:46   Link #44
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Damn I think I just watched 20 minutes of pure awesomeness.

I haven't watched the previous season which is probably why I think the first episode went at such a blistering pace but I was able to make out most of the story and enjoyed every minute of it. It was mostly comedy but i hope it gets a bit more interesting and explores a bit more because I can already see a lot of potential.

As for the voices I thought they were all great, especially Kuchiki. Like I said though, I haven't watched the previous season.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 15:01   Link #45
Dop
Mmmm....

Well I really enjoyed the new characters, who worked just fine and how I imagined them from reading the manga.

As for the recast, it all just seemed a little bit off.
OK. I rewatched the original series not long back, so I've heard the original cast fairly recently.
If you're new to the series, then it doesn't matter.

I have to agree that Kuchiki does seem particularly miscast, though.

Still. I'm not going to have a hissy fit over some recasting which might not have been avoidable.
At the end of the day, it still has that good old Genshiken feel to it even if the voices are different.
I suspect after a few episodes to get into it the recasting won't matter to anyone.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 16:08   Link #46
Elestia

I am fine with most of the recasting, but it is a real shame that they also had to recast Madarame played by Nobuyuki, who arguably is the main face of the anime after his stellar "2D Girl Complex". Kuchiki, Saki, and Ohno also place a close second as bad miscasting efforts. Having someone with such a iconic voice such Jun Fukuyama playing the support character Kuchiki does not complement the overall seiyuu cast very well.
Old 2013-07-06, 16:14   Link #47
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
I'm so confused. There's so many new characters. Who is Sue, she's so cute. I don't remember seeing her in previous Genshiken. At first I was like who is this president, but when she tied up her hair I was like oh it's Ogiue. I also remember Ohno.
Old 2013-07-06, 16:40   Link #48
Dop
Mmmm....

Sue did appear in the original show's second season (and I was glad they addressed season numbering in the next episode trailer), as one of Ohno's American friends.
Old 2013-07-06, 17:00   Link #49
konart

I really can't stand her voice now -_-
Old 2013-07-06, 17:04   Link #50
jedinat

Well, I really enjoyed the first episode. Which I wasn't really expecting considering almost the entire cast has exited stage left, lol. I haven't read the Nidaime manga; hopefully this season continues to entertain... and hopefully there aren't too many BL jokes.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:04   Link #51
Clarste
Human

I don't mind the recast because I haven't heard the originals in a long time, but Jun Fukuyama does really stand out as the annoying guy. I just played Dangan Ronpa 2 though, where he plays a very similar character so all I can say about that is that it unexpectedly works. Just take away your preconception and actually listen to him and surprisingly it works. It may take a while to get used to it though, and maybe the series isn't even long enough to.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:13   Link #52
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

dem traps again

it was nice seeing the old characters
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:13   Link #53
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Having someone with such a iconic voice such Jun Fukuyama playing the support character Kuchiki does not complement the overall seiyuu cast very well.
I'm just glad he was recast; couldn't stand his original voice. Now that he's (sorta) the only guy in the group and apparently a prominent member... I'm glad he's not so grating. Even if it's a little weird hearing him with the voice of Watanuki, lol.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 17:39   Link #54
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 18:47   Link #55
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

That was great. I'm sold. There's a somewhat different feel to mythical otaku life here in 2013, with the arrival of the rotten wave. But i found all the new voices acceptable, and the new characters excellent. That was highly entertaining, and i'm eager to follow the development of the characters -- hoping that future episodes are as well directed as Mizushima-sensei did this first one.

I know people are complaining about Jun-chan, but i thought he was good. I especially liked Ogiue's seriousness, as portrayed by the new seiyuu, Yamamoto Nozomi (Tetora in Joshiraku). I've made a characters/seiyuus page with pics of the main characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each seiyuu.

Because of how they are shown on the official site, i have a feeling that the old main characters (particularly Sasahara and Madarame) will have much reduced presence this time. So maybe their changed seiyuus will not be as much of a problem as we go on.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 19:43   Link #56
Dop
Mmmm....

I think one of the things about Genshiken is how the dynamic has changed. At the start of the original manga the Genshiken was very much a boys club.
At the start of the new one, the pendulum has swung so much that Oguie worries it may become too much of a fujoshi club.

I think it's that altered dynamic which is one of the interesting things in the new series, so far.
Old 2013-07-06, 19:51   Link #57
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Nothing to say other than this felt like classic Genshiken, although a bit more subdued somehow. It might have to do with the lack of unity that hasn't been developed between the new and current club members =0(. The recasts don't bother me too much either since I haven't watched the prequels in a long time, but Fukuyama does sound the way-the-hell out of place =02. Maybe because I'm so used to him playing pretty boys (>.>)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
It's been a while since I've watched the first two seasons, but the backstory with Ogiue and the manga club girls never got shown, did it? That's going to be confusing for anime-only viewers later on.
I believe it was shown as a 3 ep OVA before the 2nd season, though I recalled it was never translated, least at the time I started watching the 2nd season. I did wonder about the details, but I just continued on with the anime as-was. It was kinda rough, but in time, I got the gist of what had went on.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 21:55   Link #58
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
As for the voices I thought they were all great, especially Kuchiki. Like I said though, I haven't watched the previous season.
The problem with Kuchiki is he's supposed to be that guy -- and if you've ever attended a con or been in any sort of geekish club, you've probably met someone like him -- that everybody hates but he keeps showing up anyways, and girls don't like being near him because he's completely lacking in the social conditioning that tells him what is and isn't appropriate behavior And Jun Fukuyama just makes the character sound too cool.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 22:00   Link #59
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The problem with Kuchiki is he's supposed to be that guy -- and if you've ever attended a con or been in any sort of geekish club, you've probably met someone like him -- that everybody hates but he keeps showing up anyways, and girls don't like being near him because he's completely lacking in the social conditioning that tells him what is and isn't appropriate behavior And Jun Fukuyama just makes the character sound too cool.
He sounds like a guy pretending to be cool when he's not. Which is often how Kuchiki acts.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 23:31   Link #60
Arczyx
None. ない. Nihil.

Kuchiki's voice is way too cool for his character... (I mean... seriously... Jun Fukuyama...???). It's entertaining in its own way though

That aside, shouldn't this thread be moved to Current Series?

Tags
club, comedy, subculture