Old 2008-01-26, 23:16   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna View Post
It will be shown subbed at the Kennedy Center on the 17th

http://www.kennedy-center.org/calend...nt&event=XIJFR
Damn - chance to see Piano no Mori and 5cm on a big screen? Almost worth a ticket to NY just for that...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 03:09   Link #22
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Comedy, slice of life, not Disney or Pixar..... Maybe some nice group will sub this one.
Yes, maybe they will.
Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 03:28   Link #23
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Fansub is out by Live-eviL. Enjoy!

http://a.scarywater.net/live-evil/%5...3).mkv.torrent

NOTE: For some reason I have still been unable to figure out, there is a missing line of subtitles at 19:22. The correct translation is, “The piano in the forest is broken but it can still make sound.”

I apologize for the inconvenience. We will not be issuing a version 2 of this but I may try to create a zidrav patch and/or new torrent file for it.

-Tofu

Last edited by Tofusensei; 2008-02-12 at 18:23.
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 19:37   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks, Live Evil! By the looks of it, this one can't have been easy.
Old 2008-02-12, 21:33   Link #25
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Hehe, it was a bit of work. We actually subtitled the entire thing in 1 week. I spent 8PM-6AM last Saturday translating while I was in sick with a cold ^^;

I put up an .ASS file containing the missing line if you want to archive it with the video. Download it here

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 12:05   Link #26
Teppei
Lost in the Vortex

Are people watching this? It may not quite live up to Madhouse's previous theatrical movie (their rendition of Toki o Kakeru Shoujo) but it is still quite well done. I'm hoping people will give it a try, cause I think they will find it enjoyable.
Teppei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 20:19   Link #27
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I watched it but stuff like music themed anime seldom manages to move me. Neither did this one. It is well done though.
Old 2008-02-28, 02:29   Link #28
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I loved the movie actually. I thought the actual competition part was better done than something like Nodame Cantabile, though obviously we didn't get the lead-up that Nodame had as a series.

It was a pretty straightforward and downright cliche at times, but I thought the atmosphere of it all was amazing.

I actually equate it to Mokke with a LOT more production values. Nice, quaint and easy to watch.

Of course, it didn't have the jarring impact of The Girl Who Leapt Time, but I thought the ending in Piano no Mori was way better done, even if it's a bit stereotypical. It'd be nice if there was a followup and we see what became of Kai and the Toilet Queen.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 22:57   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I enjoyed it quite a lot, on the whole - but actually what bothered me was Kai's seiyuu. Unusually for Japanese actresses, she sounded nothing like a boy whatsoever, but more than a 35 year-old woman. Between that and the eyelashes I thought at first he was a reverse trap and I'd downloaded the wrong film!
Old 2008-02-29, 10:16   Link #30
Teppei
Lost in the Vortex

They seem to have made a decision to go more with movie / TV talent than pulling from the standard seiyuu list (Takeuchi Junko notwithstanding). Kai's seiyuu, Ueto Aya, is pretty popular I hear and I agree she didn't really get the "boy" voice down very well; still, there's quite a bit of energy in her performance.

I was real impressed by Kamiki Ryunosuke's (Tantei Gakuen Q, various Miyazaki movies) voice work for Shuuhei, where I thought he did a near perfect job.
Teppei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-29, 12:05   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I agree, and I guess that made Ueto Aya's shortcomings more obvious - that performance juxtaposed with an actual boy playing the other boy.
Old 2008-02-29, 13:09   Link #32
Blaat

And thanks to Ueto Aya it made me question Kai's gender for a long while.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-29, 15:34   Link #33
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I didn't mind personally. I actually knew a few guys who sounded like that in my childhood
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 16:27   Link #34
Focusian

I just watched this and it was totally not what I expected at all. The exploration of what "talent" means, verses devoition and hard work went beyond what I expected in an anime movie. It was a little slow at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Might be one of the best things I've seen this year.

Question, does anyone know much about the manga? Does it explore the same themes as the movie? I hear there are a number of manga volumes beyond what was covered in the movie and I'd be interested to know how they compare.
Focusian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 16:40   Link #35
gaguri

Yes the movie is freaking awesome, it is vastly underrated. It's not Shine, but instead takes more light-hearted route to explore what it is to love music, and not just taming it. You get a little Nodame Cantabile feel as well, where Nodame is the one who plays music for the fun of it, and Chiaki who wants to become the best by mastering it. I guess Nodame is bit more realistic in a sense that 'fun way' can't hope to compete at the level of a performance that has undergone ridiculous amount of training (which all pros do)...but the movie still makes you feel otherwise and it's a great, heart-warming feeling. Also, they don't slack off with performances like in Nodame, those moments are the best. I'm just going to put this picture again to describe its awesome.

Old 2008-03-17, 16:47   Link #36
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

^
HAH! I loved that scene! I couldn't stop laughing, seeing her flying over some field on a toilet playing piano and being followed by her dog ^_^

I just found it amusing that a piano abandoned in the forest would still play beautifully....I mean seriously...no one is tuning it, or protecting it from the elements. It's surrounded by a forest yes, but there's pretty much no covering above it since it's in some clearing. I'd expect more wear-and-tear on the grand, some animal scratch marks/markings or something.

But for all the unrealistic ideas, it was still a heart-warming movie. I quite enjoyed watching it

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 16:54   Link #37
gaguri

Quote:
I just found it amusing that a piano abandoned in the forest would still play beautifully....I mean seriously...no one is tuning it, or protecting it from the elements. It's surrounded by a forest yes, but there's pretty much no covering above it since it's in some clearing. I'd expect more wear-and-tear on the grand, some animal scratch marks/markings or something.
Well, the piano is technically broken. No one could play it, not even the person who this piano was designed specifically for. It was just a symbol which imo worked out beautifully because we can forgive (I welcome) these things in a very light-hearted movie. It shows how Piano and music belongs not in enclosed music rooms, but in the forest, and gliding through the grass field, that it is supposed to be loved and is something not to be rigorously tamed (of course this isn't true but let's go along with it...).
Old 2008-03-17, 16:58   Link #38
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
Well, the piano is technically broken. No one could play it, not even the person who this piano was designed specifically for. It was just a symbol which imo worked out beautifully because we can forgive (I welcome) these things in a very light-hearted movie.
Mmmm, I disagree that the piano was 'broken'. I think the reason the original pianist couldn't play it was because he had lost his previous abilities. Kai is still able to play it to where other people can hear how beautiful it is, so he has what the teacher lost. I don't think it's due to any shortcomings in the piano. ^_^

AniList

Old 2008-03-17, 17:02   Link #39
gaguri

...you do remember that everyone except for Kai couldn't play it right? That includes Kai's friend, who was really into piano playing, but was surprised to find that he couldn't play it. It was a piano that made no noise, no matter who played it, which is exactly why they dumped it inside a forest.
Old 2008-03-17, 17:05   Link #40
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Kai's friend couldn't play it because he didn't have the strength of hands that both the teacher had and Kai currently does have. There are the several scenes of the teacher showing absolutely no interest in the friend but awe in the Kai's talents. That piano was meant to be played by only people with a specific playing style and ability, so of course, the friend wouldn't be able to.

AniList