AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Ah! My Goddess

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-20, 02:44   Link #1
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Ah! My Goddess / Oh! My Goddess?

Why do people insist on translating the series' name to A!MG? The name of the anime(or so I thought) was named after the English phrase "Oh my god!"(but "goddess" instead of "god"). I'm also guessing that the Japanese can't easily translate that saying, so it became "Ah! My Goddess". Why do we have to keep the Engrish when referring to OMG? It don't make any sense to me.

And please tell me if I'm way off This was only a guess.

Last edited by Thewanderer; 2009-04-10 at 19:58.
Old 2006-01-20, 02:58   Link #2
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

The series' title wasn't originally phrased to resemble the common saying "oh my god!", rather, it was on part of the manga adaptation to English which slightly changed the original naming to something more catchier to the reader.

Original title - ああっ女神さまっ
Romanized - Aa! Megami-sama!
True name - Ah! My Goddess
Old 2006-01-20, 03:28   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

All that is true, but I'm going to add a few more intersting facts. When AnimEigo licensed the show, they thought it would sound better to change the Ah to an Oh so they made the Title Oh My Goddess!

Much more recently, Geneon licensed the movie. Unfortunately for them AnimEigo still owned the copyright on the title, so they changed it back. The movie was released under the title Ah! My Goddess: The Movie

Aa! = Japanese
Oh! = English: AnimEigo
Ah! = English: Geneon

As you see, it is quite a mess. Since it is Ah in both English and Japanese, but Oh in English only, I'd have to say the more official title is Ah! My Goddess

Incidently Geneon is releasing the TV series under the title of Ah! My Goddess. Not a surprise since that is the title they used for the movie.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-20, 03:29   Link #4
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine
The series' title wasn't originally phrased to resemble the common saying "oh my god!", rather, it was on part of the manga adaptation to English which slightly changed the original naming to something more catchier to the reader.
It wasn't? Then why was it initially dubbed as if it was?(unless that's what you're talking about) That confused the cluck outta me...
Old 2006-01-20, 03:32   Link #5
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Thewanderer: I edited my post after you posted. (You were too fast for me.) Please read it again for more details.

And it was dubbed that way because AnimEigo thought it was funnier that way.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-20, 03:44   Link #6
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Thewanderer: I edited my post after you posted. (You were too fast for me.) Please read it again for more details.

And it was dubbed that way because AnimEigo thought it was funnier that way.
Oh, sorry.

*goes to read it*
Old 2006-01-20, 22:22   Link #7
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Funny note, in the TV series, the title of each episode starts with "Aa!"

Episode 2 - Ah! Can the One Who Believes be Saved?
Episode 3 - Ah! The Queen and the Goddess!
Episode 4 - Ah! Living under one roof!

Now try replacing it with "Oh!" and you can see that the meaning is somewhat lost in the translation ^^;
Old 2006-01-21, 01:49   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Heh. Yeah, that sounds funny with an "Oh!" in those titles. I guess that Ah and Oh really do have different meanings and it is pretty clear which one is intended in those episode titles.

Old 2006-01-22, 03:40   Link #9
SinnerChrno
Maverick Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Incidently Geneon is releasing the TV series under the title of Ah! My Goddess. Not a surprise since that is the title they used for the movie.
Um, don't you mean Media Blasters, not Geneon?
Old 2006-01-22, 07:22   Link #10
aikming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
Why do ppl insist on translating the series' name to A!MG? The name of the anime(or so I thought) was named after the english phrase "Oh my god!"(but "goddess" instead of "god"). I'm also guessing that the Japanese can't easily translate that saying, so it became "Ah! My Goddess". Why do we have to keep the engrish when referring to OMG? It don't make any sense to me.

And pls tell me if I'm way off This was only a guess.

By no means, the series name was taken from the phrase " oh my God'. The moment it was serialized in shounen magazine, it was Aa! Megamisama~ naturally Ah! my goddess. The "oh" was added due to commercial interest. The mangaka has always stick to Aa! Megamisama
Old 2006-01-31, 18:03   Link #11
Rushuna
Supaa Handsome Boi

Dark Horse originally called it Oh My Goddess as well.
Old 2006-02-18, 02:00   Link #12
astrallionheart

"Ah!" has a very sweet, childlike feeling to it.

"Oh!" doesnt seem as much, and "Oh My Goddess" or "OMG" would just be parodying an English phrase, where really the title ("Ah!") is meant to be an indication of what kind of show it is.
Old 2006-02-28, 02:40   Link #13
Morisato

It's a parody on a popular internet abbreviation. OMG means OH MY GOD. and OH MY GOD is usually said when one is in shock and/or disbelief.
Old 2006-04-12, 19:48   Link #14
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
amg sounds gayer than omg
its stupid if u actually say it =/
Old 2006-04-13, 00:30   Link #15
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morisato
It's a parody on a popular internet abbreviation. OMG means OH MY GOD. and OH MY GOD is usually said when one is in shock and/or disbelief.
I hate to point this out, but the manga existed before OMG was an internet abbreviation, so there is no way that it is a parody on the internet abbreviation.

Old 2006-04-13, 04:05   Link #16
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I may be wrong with this one, but, didn't Kosuke himself said it was OK for the fans to use the one they liked the most? (Ah/Oh)

I think I read this in the letter section in one of the Dark Horse releases of the manga. (but like I said, I am not 100% sure)

EDIT:

Ok found the following in Wiki:

The original Japanese title is "Aa! Megami-sama!". The question of how best to translate this phrase has led to a great deal of debate and flamewars amongst English-speaking anime fans during the early 1990s. The US-anime import company AnimEigo obtained the OVA rights and entitled them: "Oh! My Goddess". Many felt the title should be "Ah! My Goddess".

Several references to "Oh my god" and "Oh my goddess" in a number of songs (such as Hottokenai No Sa, Megami-sama tto Oyoubi) only fueled the debate further.

Ultimately Fujishima himself was consulted. His initial reaction was to agree with the "Ah" camp, but once the English phrase "Oh my God" was explained to him, he decided the "Oh" would be closer to what he was trying to convey. However, when a Japanese fan later pointed out to Fujishima that the Japanese merchandise uses "Ah", Fujishima said that it would be better to keep things consistent.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2006-04-13 at 23:50.
Old 2006-04-14, 03:50   Link #17
Conri

The back of the first volume of the Japanese manga, published in 1989.

Personally, I find that Ah! My Goddess sounds more elegant than Oh My Goddess. As for Fujishima's opinion, I've heard people claiming all sides, Ah, Oh, and either or, so I can see the Wiki article being true about Fujishima changing his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtyped
amg sounds gayer than omg
Great! Even more reason to use it.
Old 2006-04-25, 17:56   Link #18
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I saw in the AnimeEigo version (apparently I've seen the one that is really, REALLY short) the titles for the first 5 episodes:

1) Moonlight and Cherry Blossoms (I saw no cherry blossoms...)
2) A Midsummer Nights Dream (w/ apologies to Mr. Shakespeare)
3) Burning Hearts on the Road (Ah! Swerve! *crashes motorcycle*)
4) Uh.... something..... (hmmmm...)
5) For the Love of Goddess (ROFL)

C'mon! #5 has to be a pun! For the love of God it has to be!
Old 2006-05-04, 08:00   Link #19
Altrisha

Is it really that important? I think whats important is the whole package is really good. Well if your a romantic type that is... I didnt know that until i watched it hehe.
Old 2006-05-08, 06:46   Link #20
kaitou_strife
Dragon1st class unlimited

Send a message via Yahoo to kaitou_strife
Well from what i understand Aa! was for the japanesse title Ah! was for the american title and they used Oh! for the english title at least thats what i heard.
PS: I also think Ah! Sounds more elegant than Oh!
Closed Thread