~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Like this?
Spoiler for lovely com:

the hell!! :O

havent seen lovely complex but that is pushing me to watch it...TRAP!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
This episode was a rather (way too) in-depth answer for why Ogiue doesn't accept any help for selling her books. Surely everyone knew she'd be drawing yaoi, but what the hell are those characters!?!
"those characters"

are you talking about the designs or why she is basing them on the members of genshiken O.O

simple answer 1) bishie 2) she finds them highly valuable subjects for "fanfics"

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 17:59   Link #203
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi
I dunno I think it did a fine job of showing not only how ogiue's mind works, but gave abit of insight into yaoi fangirls in general. I kinda like the fact that it's making it clear the shows about otaku culture for both guys and girls ya know.
I think I see what you mean, but I still object to the extent of it. Even with what the guys've been dreaming about, you don't get an entire episode of nothing but sexual suggestions.. in this season and especially 1st season.

But! it does kind of support the later fact that Ogyiue could become a great manga artist. Still, an entire episode... uh! since there's so much more to cover in the manga if they plan to give Genshiken a closure, I can't help but think they've wasted valuable time of this episode emphasising on what we already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel
At First I smile a lot, but it is going to much serious and explict content. I am not prepared.

The same thing happens on episode 2, but this episode was more time on sexual theme.
season 2 sure has a vastly different (more mature) tone to it, but the manga is just as light as the first season. The producer has gone out of his way to make this show more explicit (more out in the open with all its implications) than sketched in the manga. I wonder why? trying to target any specific groups?
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 18:21   Link #204
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
I think I see what you mean, but I still object to the extent of it. Even with what the guys've been dreaming about, you don't get an entire episode of nothing but sexual suggestions.. in this season and especially 1st season.

But! it does kind of support the later fact that Ogyiue could become a great manga artist. Still, an entire episode... uh! since there's so much more to cover in the manga if they plan to give Genshiken a closure, I can't help but think they've wasted valuable time of this episode emphasising on what we already know.
I certainly didn't know what yaoi fans fantasize about. Not in that kind of detail...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 18:44   Link #205
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I certainly didn't know what yaoi fans fantasize about. Not in that kind of detail...
Your not the only one.

Aside from the rather obvious Madrame x sasahara stuff I never would have guessed how'd she fit everyone else in the club into her little fantasies...It was quite entertaining and enlightening all at once.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 03:02   Link #206
d.sinclair

Yup, I agree that the ep was actually quite educational for me. Even if S2 has lost the Saki vs. Otaku comedic edge, it's still quite enjoyable to watch the characters we know and love develop.

It was worth enduring the yaoi scenes for Ogiue's accent and Ohno's reaction.
d.sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 04:06   Link #207
aboutblue

Am I the only one thinking "what the hell happened to Genshiken"? I'm pretty disappointed so far. It's hard to put my finger on but I feel like a lot of the charm and quirkiness from the first season is gone.

Maybe because the show is focusing more on individual relationships instead of the club as a whole. Which is okay, I guess, except that the episodes are slower and it's often more dramatic than humorous. I don't feel like I'm watching a lighthearted slice-of-life about otakus anymore, I feel like I'm watching... well, I don't even know. I just know it's not the Genshiken I knew and loved.

And episode 5 was sort of funny but so slow! I can't believe they wasted a whole episode on Ogiue's fantasy. I feel like they could have done so much more with the idea of yaoi fandom rather than make us sit through an entire alternate BL Genshiken.

Ok, I'm done ranting now. =P
aboutblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 05:30   Link #208
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Perhaps not the only one, but most definitly in the minority here.
What you consider a "waste" may be "entertainment" to others.
Old 2007-11-12, 09:17   Link #209
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Spoiler for Ep.5:
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 10:16   Link #210
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

now they better yuri the next episode and make it up for us
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 10:56   Link #211
Tatsushiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltygearxt View Post
now they better yuri the next episode and make it up for us
Spoiler:
Tatsushiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 12:37   Link #212
SnEptUne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsushiro View Post
Spoiler:
I doubt that can be as dramatic, angust, and depressing as Oguie fantasy. Afterall, yuri is usually about commiting suicide together, right?
SnEptUne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 14:56   Link #213
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsushiro View Post
Spoiler:
That should be fun to watch as long as my eyes dont start bleeding again
Old 2007-11-13, 01:30   Link #214
d.sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutblue View Post
Am I the only one thinking "what the hell happened to Genshiken"? I'm pretty disappointed so far. It's hard to put my finger on but I feel like a lot of the charm and quirkiness from the first season is gone.

Maybe because the show is focusing more on individual relationships instead of the club as a whole. Which is okay, I guess, except that the episodes are slower and it's often more dramatic than humorous. I don't feel like I'm watching a lighthearted slice-of-life about otakus anymore, I feel like I'm watching... well, I don't even know. I just know it's not the Genshiken I knew and loved.

And episode 5 was sort of funny but so slow! I can't believe they wasted a whole episode on Ogiue's fantasy. I feel like they could have done so much more with the idea of yaoi fandom rather than make us sit through an entire alternate BL Genshiken.

Ok, I'm done ranting now. =P
I think you might not be enjoying this season as much because a big element from S1 is missing: Saki vs. the otakus, or the clash between otaku and "normal" life. That was the meat of the show last season - it was the driving force for the majority of the comedy and was what made the show so edgy and interesting. Now that's pretty much gone, to be replaced with character development and more insights into otaku life.

S1 really did run on the shoulders of Saki and Madarame. Now that they aren't playing as big a role, it makes sense that the series feels different, so I understand where you're coming from, but I'm still liking the show. Now that S1 set up the premise and the characters, it's a good time to start developing the characters that we have become attached to. That was actually something that was missing for me in S1 - the lack of development for some of the characters.

More Ogiue please. Her cosplay shot in the intro is just too much win.
d.sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 12:45   Link #215
aboutblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Perhaps not the only one, but most definitly in the minority here.
What you consider a "waste" may be "entertainment" to others.

I never said it was a waste. I still think the show is much better than a lot of other anime and worth watching. It's just that when you love the first season it's easy to find flaws with the second when it doesn't quite live up to your expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sinclair View Post
I think you might not be enjoying this season as much because a big element from S1 is missing: Saki vs. the otakus, or the clash between otaku and "normal" life. That was the meat of the show last season - it was the driving force for the majority of the comedy and was what made the show so edgy and interesting. Now that's pretty much gone, to be replaced with character development and more insights into otaku life.

S1 really did run on the shoulders of Saki and Madarame. Now that they aren't playing as big a role, it makes sense that the series feels different, so I understand where you're coming from, but I'm still liking the show. Now that S1 set up the premise and the characters, it's a good time to start developing the characters that we have become attached to. That was actually something that was missing for me in S1 - the lack of development for some of the characters.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think you're exactly right. The focus of the show has dramatically shifted. I mean we couldn't go with the Saki vs Genshiken forever so I guess I shall just have to get used to it.

How is this lining up with the manga so far? I'd like to avoid any spoilers but in general terms what volume are we on?
aboutblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 18:19   Link #216
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 6 ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 18:46   Link #217
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnEptUne View Post
Afterall, yuri is usually about commiting suicide together, right?
No. Definitely NOT.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 18:52   Link #218
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnEptUne View Post
I doubt that can be as dramatic, angust, and depressing as Oguie fantasy. Afterall, yuri is usually about commiting suicide together, right?
Only if your a heterosexual homophobic female,

but for everyone else,

it means FUN.

Old 2007-11-13, 19:42   Link #219
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Yuri is fun for males. I have watched most of the yuri animes out there /
Old 2007-11-13, 20:07   Link #220
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sinclair View Post

yeah, the focus of the two seasons are surely different. Season 2 is centred more around the romance between Sasahara and Oygiue, as well as Oygiue's personal conflict with her otaku interest. I think it's great, as it explores another main human shade of otakuness - how to resolve her embarrassment of having an otaku interest, whether to accept or reject it.

However, like I've said before, I don't quite like the fact that they spent an entire episode on her imagination, as opposed to the manga.
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arms, comedy, romance, seinen, slice of life