AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2011-08-06, 06:34   Link #341
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

The dust covers were western, and people had been complaining about the original dust cover for Volume 1, but underneath is the actual Japanese artwork. I'm sure they're just including it with every copy now.
Old 2011-08-06, 07:04   Link #342
Question
Crossdresser

Thats strange. I disctintively remember people screaming about how bad the cover was and refusing to buy volume 1.

If it was the dust cover they could have simply thrown it away after buying it.
Old 2011-08-06, 08:14   Link #343
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

@Redeyes/Question
- Unfortunately the first edition was different. (I can take a picture tonight if you don't believe me)

With novels 2 onwards, the dust cover features the western art and the book itself features the original cover.
With volume one, the first edition of the book itself has the western art on, and the dust cover has the original; and you only got the dust cover if you ordered from certain retailers during the first production run; so there are probably quite a few copies out there that DON'T have a dust cover, and just have the western art. That's why people complained. It's only books 2-4 that have the western artwork on the dust cover from first edition.

I have/had 3 of the volume one first editions, sounds like they might have changed it now based on the feedback, to follow the same scheme as the rest of the series.

- Question, they might have sent you the novel AND dust cover under the assumption you were an owner of the first edition; and thus only had the western artwork.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 08:49   Link #344
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
I have/had 3 of the volume one first editions, sounds like they might have changed it now based on the feedback, to follow the same scheme as the rest of the series.
Yen Press announced a long while ago that if volume 1 ever went to reprint, they would put the Japanese artwork on the cover and the Western photoshopped image on the dust jacket to match how volumes 2+ were printed. At the time of the announcement, they didn't know when a reprint would occur. But it sounds like the reprint has happened and the artwork / dust jacket arrangement for volume 1 now matches the arrangement for the later volumes.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 20:16   Link #345
MOOSETRACKS84

hey guys and ladies im new to this forum and this is officially my first post. to tell you guys the truth i think i am going to like this site. from what i can see you all seem like cool people. any way this is q&a so one thing that bothers me about this story is the fact that regardless its going to be a sad one. i love w&s its a great story the characters grow deeper and evolve. also its addictive especially when your left in a cliff hanger scenario it'll keep running through your head.like what!! whats going to happen now? lol any way shes a goddess right so wont he die leaving her alone like everything shes been afraid of. what do you guys think will happen?
MOOSETRACKS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 20:38   Link #346
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSETRACKS84 View Post
hey guys and ladies im new to this forum and this is officially my first post. to tell you guys the truth i think i am going to like this site. from what i can see you all seem like cool people. any way this is q&a so one thing that bothers me about this story is the fact that regardless its going to be a sad one. i love w&s its a great story the characters grow deeper and evolve. also its addictive especially when your left in a cliff hanger scenario it'll keep running through your head.like what!! whats going to happen now? lol any way shes a goddess right so wont he die leaving her alone like everything shes been afraid of. what do you guys think will happen?
Well, that's what is left to the imagination.

Spoiler for The plot:

At least, that's my brief take on it. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to write something very thorough. I know some of the others around here who are more eloquent than I could probably explain it better.
Old 2011-09-04, 21:26   Link #347
MOOSETRACKS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Well, that's what is left to the imagination.

Spoiler for The plot:

At least, that's my brief take on it. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to write something very thorough. I know some of the others around here who are more eloquent than I could probably explain it better.
yeah that would be best. for both lawrence and holo. especially since both have been alone for most of their lives, lawrence with his trades and holo with her bond to that town, so they definitely know what it is to be alone. and holo's lack of trust in people is shared by lawrence refering to the time of his fight with holo. the merchant (cant remember his name at the moment) pointed out to lawrence that before all this lawrence really didnt see anyone as a friend, just business partners. anyway i think this ending would be best i would definitely be pisst if they kill her off at the end like elfen lied's lucy.
Old 2011-09-05, 10:10   Link #348
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I don't think they will. Besides the story is complete over in Japan, although its going to take about another five years before they are all available in English, and its a happy ending AFAIK.
Old 2011-09-05, 16:58   Link #349
MOOSETRACKS84

5 YEARS!! well the good thing is that they are complete in japan so all we have to do is wait for them to translate and publish them as they are now... i guess i came in at the right time SCORE!! well i hav a question but its a bit out of topic im new to the whole novel thing. i was usually into just mangas and anime. w&s is my first novel i ever read. any one can point me to some other great novels?
Old 2011-09-06, 10:50   Link #350
MOOSETRACKS84

i was wondering is there anything on who were horos parents or if she has any siblings running around? in the anime season 2 opening she wakes up to see these 3 wolves so i was wondering who were they and if they were important in her life?
Old 2011-09-09, 13:43   Link #351
23thegamer

they are her best freands or something like that i think

i join this and i do not now how to put on a pitcher can some one tell me how to put a pitcher on
23thegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 18:06   Link #352
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
5 YEARS!! well the good thing is that they are complete in japan so all we have to do is wait for them to translate and publish them as they are now... i guess i came in at the right time SCORE!! well i hav a question but its a bit out of topic im new to the whole novel thing. i was usually into just mangas and anime. w&s is my first novel i ever read. any one can point me to some other great novels?
You can ask in the Suggestions forum... but some of the source material Suzumiya Haruhi light novels have been released in english.

Quote:
i was wondering is there anything on who were horos parents or if she has any siblings running around? in the anime season 2 opening she wakes up to see these 3 wolves so i was wondering who were they and if they were important in her life?
All the clues indicated she was originally part of a pack of 'deity wolves' and got separated from them. They were in Yoitsu and something went terribly wrong (some hint of a bear deity decimating the pack). When she stopped running she was met by the boy from the village where she agreed to be the local harvest deity.

Also, its considered better etiquette to edit a post rather than double posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23thegamer View Post
they are her best freands or something like that i think
i join this and i do not now how to put on a pitcher can some one tell me how to put a pitcher on
The preferred way is to store the picture file on an image site like Photobucket, Flicker, or Imageshack. Then insert a link to the picture in the post using the "insert image" button available when you're writing a post (up where you can select bold, italic, links, quoting texts, spoilers, etc)
Old 2011-09-15, 16:38   Link #353
squashboy

It took me awhile to notice this..but this series is set in Europe, not Japan, isn't it?
squashboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 19:16   Link #354
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashboy View Post
It took me awhile to notice this..but this series is set in Europe, not Japan, isn't it?
Yeah, it's a fantasy middle-ageish Europe, taking place in some pseudo-Germanic nations. I'm sure you can find several discussions about it online here and on other forums, but it really plays too fast and loose to get too specific about things.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 13:05   Link #355
emarsh

I'm thinking medieval Italy myself. Watching "Wolf and Business Talent" at about 16 minutes in I thought I recognized the city of Patzuille. In fact, I've stood at an overlook (the Piazzale Michelangelo) with rails similar to those in the anime.

Here's what I saw. Of course things change in five centuries so it doesn't look quite like the anime.

The city is Firenze Italy, or Florence in English.

At one point I think they even showed the dome of the duomo (cathedral) in the background of the anime. The only thing is that Patzuille is supposed to be a port city which Firenze isn't.

Last edited by emarsh; 2011-09-21 at 13:24.
emarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 16:58   Link #356
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

TBH, Germany seems more logical as a lot of the names are Germanic (Loewen/Roewen is a basically German for Lion, Kraft etc) and also the geography. Germany (especially if you combine the docked Austrian region) is a pretty big country that spans some much warmer zones in the south next to Italy, but also borders cold, icy places like Denmark in the North.

Given those northern regions of Scandinavia and the likes were hold outs for pagan religions and practices well into the Roman era and then back out into the Dark Ages and beyond, it'd make a lot of sense for a Pagan Wolf god travelling south to have come from that region of northern Europe

Yes the maps show it's obviously fantasy, but if you're trying to place it, Central Germanic Europe has a lot going for it in terms of trying to tag down where it'd be.
Old 2011-09-21, 18:47   Link #357
emarsh

Since they are traveling they may have crossed many borders. I thought that the style of clothing in the earlier anime episodes appeared to be medieval Italian and of course Italy, especially Venice were known for their trading companies. Then again so were the Dutch. I suspect Milone may be a Dutch company - at least Marlheit has that look - and he did say that the company was headquartered in another country.

It seems to me that as they moved further north the character of the villages and cities changed.

I can guarantee that the artwork of the river as seen from above in Wolf and Business Talent is from Florence. If you compare the full sized image ( full sized image) and the video (I did) you will find all sorts of matching details. For example, the building with the tower on the near bank match in both the video and the photo and in both cases the building partly obscures the same bridge. There are buildings that essentially match on the opposite side of the river too. In a later episode while the map has differences from Florence it does have what looks like the same duomo. Interestingly enough, from the other map they could not have had the perspective overlooking the river that they do in Wolf and Business Talent.

Clearly Florence was used as the model for that artwork. The question is, were they just using Florence as a just visual model or where they thinking of it culturally too?

I'd interested in seeing if it's possible to recognize landmarks elswhere in artwork of the other cities.

Last edited by emarsh; 2011-09-21 at 19:04.
emarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 20:38   Link #358
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Medici period of Italy was obviously an inspiration for the economics with all the coinage, the obligations, the guild houses, etc. as well as some of the architecture. The religious situation probably better fit the late Dark Ages when paganism and Christianity lived crudely side by side. The landscape, latitudes, and the map feel more Germanic. So really, its a mistake to take parallels toooooo far because its a fantasy world with elements used hodge-podge to fill it in.
Old 2012-02-21, 16:00   Link #359
Shadow5YA

Is Hasekura writing any more works for Spice and Wolf? I was hoping the Billionare Girl manga could come off of hiatus and she would continue that.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 21:39   Link #360
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Is Hasekura writing any more works for Spice and Wolf? I was hoping the Billionare Girl manga could come off of hiatus and she would continue that.
Nah, he is not... he has completed that series... unless he does some more short stories.