AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-01-12, 19:16   Link #1
Ortix
Animoe

Not your typical thumbnail problem

Alright i've run into a major issue with my mkv thumbnails, and that's only mkv thumbnails. Whatever is supposed to generate them isn't doing it's job!

Let me tell you what basically happened. before i forget: I run vista 32 bit and use cccp. I'm not a noob at computers and i know that i installed everything correctly.

So like a couple of weeks ago, i was having trouble with my mkv thumbnails as the offset was not right, it was only showing the first frame. Same with the mp4 thumbnails. So I look around the internet and find an article where it says some stuff. One of the things was to clear the thumbnail cache through the disk cleanup and to clear the wmp library (was in a folder). So i did that. I restarted my pc and whoops. All the thumbnails are gone. The AVI's regenerated but the mp4's and the mkv's didn't. So i reinstalled cccp with the thumbnail and explorer extension blabla enabled. (i'm not a n00b at this) But nothing worked!

So i'm all over the internetz to find an answer. I found some reg hacks which didn't work. I uninstalled cccp, run ccleaner (to clean the mess left) and installed only ffdshow and haalli splitter. Didn't work, so i uninstall that and install cccp again. Didn't work either. (i ran ccleaner after all the installs/uninstalls).

So i gave up. Then couple of days later, i rendered my video project for school with sony vegas. And what do you know?! the mp4 thumbnails came back. I don't know if the rendering was the thing but i checked the folder where is stored that video and all the mp4's had thumbnails. (no offset)

But my MKV's still didn't have thumbnails. So i go into WMP and in there haali media splitter is working really hard to generate all the thumbnails for the library! So they ARE generated in the library of wmp (with no offset eventhough it has been set to 1000ms)

So i find a plugin on the internetz which let's you generate a thumbnail through wmp (wmp plugin incase you didn't figure). Well that worked but it has limitations and it crashed everytime a thumbnail has been created. The good thing is that the thumbnails DID show up for those particular vids. The bad is that the program sux, take too much time to make a thumbnail and it crashes everytime.

So any solutions to my problem?
Old 2009-01-12, 21:53   Link #2
Ortix
Animoe

Sorry for not editting, it keeps giving me a 404 error :S

anyway: So i found out that the mp4 thumbnails don't work either! :S Every weird! They only work with some vids, i don't know why this has changed!
Old 2009-01-14, 06:01   Link #3
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortix
So i'm all over the internetz to find an answer. I found some reg hacks which didn't work. I uninstalled cccp, run ccleaner (to clean the mess left) and installed only ffdshow and haalli splitter. Didn't work, so i uninstall that and install cccp again. Didn't work either. (i ran ccleaner after all the installs/uninstalls).
Just random point, CCCP fortunately has never left any mess behind. If it does it is completely and utterly harmless entries in registry.

But onto the real issue...thumbnails...omfg lol. On Vista at that. Well I know from personal testing, they work...slightly. Sometimes a few of the MKV/MP4 in the folder will have thumbnails and others won't (will be just all black or white video). Revisit the folder again later and different ones have thumbnails. Also when clearing the entire thumbnail cache in the magical Vista settings, sometimes you get thumbnails back and sometimes not.

Unfortunately as far as I know there is no solution (on Vista) using Haali's splitter. Whether Haali plans to look into this more or not, I don't really know. I do recall the entire shell integration thing was not something he wanted to look more into, simply because if you have any crazy weird filters installed it can break stuff. That would be the only thing I can think of, if any strange filters are installed which are attempting to be used it might not work at all. Typically in my testing EVERY time I cleared the thumbnail cache I would always at least get some MKV/MP4 thumbnails. Usually I just found some files with thumbnails generated and the others with the black/white image.

One question, you said you can see the MKV thumbnails (without offset) in WMP's Library mode? But in Explorer you don't see them at all? I would understand why the offset doesn't work there, WMP gets thumbnails in a completely different method which I don't fully understand yet.

Also just curious the extra plugin you talked about, that would generated thumbnails for Explorer? Or just in WMP again? And what plugin is that?

This page shows you the essence of what the CCCP does for thumbnails, and should be identical to what any other pages are instructing you to do manually in registry with Haali's splitter.
Old 2009-01-14, 14:15   Link #4
Ortix
Animoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Just random point, CCCP fortunately has never left any mess behind. If it does it is completely and utterly harmless entries in registry.

But onto the real issue...thumbnails...omfg lol. On Vista at that. Well I know from personal testing, they work...slightly. Sometimes a few of the MKV/MP4 in the folder will have thumbnails and others won't (will be just all black or white video). Revisit the folder again later and different ones have thumbnails. Also when clearing the entire thumbnail cache in the magical Vista settings, sometimes you get thumbnails back and sometimes not.

Unfortunately as far as I know there is no solution (on Vista) using Haali's splitter. Whether Haali plans to look into this more or not, I don't really know. I do recall the entire shell integration thing was not something he wanted to look more into, simply because if you have any crazy weird filters installed it can break stuff. That would be the only thing I can think of, if any strange filters are installed which are attempting to be used it might not work at all. Typically in my testing EVERY time I cleared the thumbnail cache I would always at least get some MKV/MP4 thumbnails. Usually I just found some files with thumbnails generated and the others with the black/white image.

One question, you said you can see the MKV thumbnails (without offset) in WMP's Library mode? But in Explorer you don't see them at all? I would understand why the offset doesn't work there, WMP gets thumbnails in a completely different method which I don't fully understand yet.

Also just curious the extra plugin you talked about, that would generated thumbnails for Explorer? Or just in WMP again? And what plugin is that?

This page shows you the essence of what the CCCP does for thumbnails, and should be identical to what any other pages are instructing you to do manually in registry with Haali's splitter.
Alright so basically i did the cleaning for... well just in case. I know cccp is very clean (unlike k-lite) but still.

and cccp is also THE ONLY codec pack thing whatever i have installed. Nothing more.

The plugin i was talking about created thumbnails for only OUTSIDE wmp, and adds them manually. I don't know how though. Basically i see the thumbnail for the mkv file in explorer if i run that plugin, select the frame and press enter. But it's rubbish.

I'm just gonna remove cccp. Clear thumbnail cache again and then install cccp. Or should i keep cccp installed?

EDIT:
alright so that didn't work... When i uninstalled cccp, and cleared the thumbs, ALL the thumbs were gone. Then I removed the ICON cache from the appdata/local folder and that brought back all the thumbs >>>>EXCEPT<<<< the mkv ones. The mp4's work fine... very odd. I hate this stuff...

Last edited by Ortix; 2009-01-14 at 16:29.